Feeling Feisty Friday

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 26, 2010

Friday once again!

Does anyone else find that Friday workouts are always easier? I find that Monday is always the hardest and Friday is always the easiest. I just have a bit more kick to my step on a Friday.

Lately I have been incorporating some speed work into my runs. I haven’t done speed work since before my injury back in January 2009! Part of the reason why I think I got injured was because I was pushing myself way too hard doing 2 mile army fitness runs. I decided that I am going to work on my speed again- but do it in a safe way this time.

The run:

• Few mins. walking warm-up
  • Mile 1: 6mph, incline 2%
  • Mile 2: Intervals (1/4 mile at 7.0 mph, 1/4 mile at 7.5 mph, repeat) incline 2%
  • Mile 3: Intervals (1/4 mile at 6.2 mph, 1/4 mile at 7.0 mph, repeat), incline 1%
  • Mile 4: Repeat mile 2 intervals
  • Mile 5: 7.2-7.8 mph, bringing incline down to 0%
  • Walking cool-down

This run was tough but very satisfying! I did 13 poses for runners and some yoga afterwards. Felt so good to stretch! I find running makes the muscles sooooo tight. I often don’t realize how tight my muscles are until I stretch.

Tomorrow will be my 3rd rest day of the week. I have an exciting 10k on Sunday with a couple girlfriends so I need to rest up!

Feeling Feisty Loaded Mexican Oatmeal

IMG_1524

This is a spin-off of the Loaded Lunchtime Oatmeal I made a while back. I was feeling like Mexican and this little creation was born!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup frozen veggies
  • pinch sea salt
  • Black pepper
  • Touch of EVOO
  • 1/2 scoop Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder (optional)

Toppings:

Directions: Throw oats, water, milk, frozen veggies, and seasonings into a pot and stir. Bring to a boil and cook over medium to low for about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and add toppings. Enjoy your Mexican getaway without leaving the house!

Naked Oats!

IMG_1510   IMG_1511

Let’s get these oats dressed for lunch…

IMG_1505

Much better.

IMG_1522

For anyone who is squeamish about trying savoury oats, my suggestion is to put your fears aside and dive in!

If you just think of the oats as another grain like rice or quinoa, you can really add anything you want to them.

I like to think of the grains in my meals as like a pair of long johns– on their own they are nothing to write home about, but once you add some layers everything comes together!

IMG_1519

Satisfying in every way imaginable. I will be making this on a weekly basis for sure.

Can you tell I have had avocados to use up this week?? I made Green Goddess Pizza, Choco-cado Pudding, and now this. I’m not complaining! ;)

IMG_1514

A burrito on a spoon:

IMG_1533

Mmmm.

Updates:

• Do you have a health or food blog and would like to be a part of my blog resource list? See this post for details. The reason why I am creating this list is because there are so many amazing blogs out there and I want everyone’s efforts to be recognized in one spot! Your blog can be small or big, it really doesn’t matter!
  • Are you interested in attending a meet-up in March in Florida or Toronto? See the bottom of this post for the dates and locations.

Size Healthy Around the Blog World:

Ok back to work for this kiddo. I’m baking orders as well as glo bars for a fun charity donation today.

I will be streaming the USA hockey game on my laptop this afternoon. Going to be fun stuff!

Angela_Signature

Miss February 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Angela this looks delicious, but I have a confession – I’ve never tried savory oatmeal OR mexican food. Incredible, right? I’ve always been scared away by the idea of anything with refried beans, nachos, etc etc etc. This looks so delicious though, and so healthy – the avocado alone might have me swayed ^~

Thanks for the post! I think I’ll give’r a try.
arrrriba!

Julie February 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

wow awesome run! .. you are so fast!!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

OH gosh, those oats look fantabulous! I AM scared to try savory oats and I don’t know why! I just can’t get past my peanut butter and chocolate oats! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm

wow, this is really interesting…i’ve never heard of or though of savory oats! maybe i’ll grow a pair and try them this weekend… :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Sound yummy!

Katie (Sweet Tater) February 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm

i love your savory oatmeals. looks so goooood.

krissy February 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Girlfriend you rocked that speed run!! I did a very similar speed run the other night but without incline – I think it’s time to step my game up :) hehe Thanks for the inspiration, like always :) love you! xoxo

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

My savoury oats are not nearly so elaborate. Basically a poached egg on top of oatmeal with salt and pepper.

lindsay February 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Wholly Cow Angela! My husband is going to love that Mexican oatmeal recipe. THANK YOU!! Can’t wait to try it. ANd yes, Fridays are always better workout days. I feel like I’ve earned a nice HARD workout to finish the week. Cheers!
LC

Cynthia (It All Changes) February 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love your interval treadmill workout. I’ll have to modify it for my speed but I love the idea.

Kate February 26, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Your workout today looks awesome! I’m taking today and tomorrow as my recovery days. I’ve been kicking booty all week long, and on Sunday my friend and I are going to a 2-hour spin class (proceeds go to a local charity), so I wanted to rest up before that! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 26, 2010 at 12:52 pm

So good that you are doing speed work the RIGHT way this time. I know that’s what I’ll be doing as well when I can. Tough workout!!

I’ve never had savory oats… kinda weirds me out. But I bet they are good!

Betherann February 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I am the opposite of you — my Monday workouts are easiest, and by Friday I’m dragging BIG time. My rest day usually falls on Thursday because that is my crazy-busy day (I teach and do family outreach at an elementary school, and then led a hula hooping club for 40ish kids ages 5-12) and I’m totally exhausted.

Angela (ohsheglows) February 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm

hmm that’s interesting. On Mondays I always feel like a walking zombie! hehe

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Angela, you just put a huge smile on my face, comparing oatmeal to long johns! What an adorable (and accurate!) analogy! :)

Angela (ohsheglows) February 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm

When I wrote it I said to myself, did I just compare oatmeal to long johns!? I’m so weird. lol

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Yum!!! I love savory oatmeal! I made some with mushrooms and avocado a while back that was capital T Tasty!

Have a great weekend, Angela!

Angela (ohsheglows) February 26, 2010 at 2:43 pm

mmm mushrooms sound like a fab idea

Paige @ Running Around Normal February 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm

NICE job on the speed work, woman! You showed that treadmill who’s boss :D
I am afraid to try savory oats – I admit it. One day I’ll try. One day…

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That will be my exact lunch today!!! I’m sitting here trying to think of something delish to eat after a super hard workout. That meal will be satisfying for good recovery and good for my belly! :)

We are about to get hit with snow this weekend…I am hoping for good weather for you come Sunday!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I don’t know, Ange – I’m still squeamish! Although Mexican oats DO sound good. :-)

Great run! I’ve been trying to up my speed, but I’m nowhere near where you are. Keep it up!

K

Katie February 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I feel the same way about getting a workout in on Monday, I jst dont have the pep, I take Monday as a rest day!!!!!!

Loving these oats girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muah!!!

Grace (Graceful Simplicity) February 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I make the pretty much the same thing with rice so why not oats? Still, it does seem weird and I’m not brave enough yet to give it a try.

Sarah February 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I have been thinking about mixing oats & veggies recently but it makes me nervous, ha ha. So you have inspired me to give it a go!

I’m the opposite about workouts actually…on Monday, I am totally motivated to get the week started and by Friday, I am tired and ready to rest :)

Sarah February 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

That is one GORGEOUS bowl of oatmeal! I’ve experimented a few times with savory oats for lunch. Sometimes I get upset tummies at work, stress and all that, and oats are so soothing. I think they are delicious but I’ve gotten a few weird looks from people. They just haven’t tried it!

I’ve never added so many toppings, but I love the idea of black beans and creamy avocado added. I don’t follow a vegan diet, so a bit of very sharp cheddar cheese is a perfect pairing for oats IMHO.

Excited to have discovered your blog!

EaterNotARunner February 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Great run!! I’m nervous about savory oatmeal….I’ll have to try it one of these days!

angela @ a healthy fit February 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I wish I had some avocado’s to use up. I’m at home because of snow today and would love to make that pudding you posted about yesterday.

Majl February 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

My meals are looking more and more like yours! Maybe I will end up vegan one day. :)

Michelle February 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ange that’s genious! I’ve SERIOUSLY considered making savory oats, but to be honest, all the ones i’ve seen on other blogs look…not so appetizing. Your creation SERIOUSLY looks delicious and the combo would totally float my boat. Mmmmm….now my brain juices are gurgling…I’d love to make some tonight!

Ameena February 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Very cool idea…Not sure why I have issues trying savory oatmeal. I need to treat it just like any other grain…right? Right. :) I need to get on it because this looks amazing!

Tania @ Moment Anew February 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

OMG are you finally taking a MUCH deserved vacation??? :)

Courtney February 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hellz yeah!! That oatmeal looks like the kind of oatmeal I would eat. I don’t love oatmeal with sweet toppings…but mexican food is my fave and I think you idea to think of oatmeal as any other grain is great.

I’m in AWE of your incline runs!! You are going to rock it out the next time you run outside!!!

Courtney
adventures in tri-ing
PS
USA is kicking BUTT right now!!!!!!! Wheeee heee!!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Ooh, I’m craving Mexican food now! Your oats look really tasty! I’m not sure if I can get over the texture of oatmeal to make it savory, though… the only “mushy” things I like tend to be sweet. But maybe I’ll get brave and give it a try!

Katrina M February 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm

mmmmmmmm that looks so amazingly delicious!!! i bought some oats right after your last savory oatmeal post, but so far have only used them in baked breakfast cake! haha…. i need to get me some savory oats! :)

Miriam February 26, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Wow what an inspiring recipe and awesome yummy pictures! :)

Sarah February 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Holy yumminess! That mexican oatmeal looks amazing! Definitely going to have to give that a try

Jil February 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Ahh it looks so good! Makes me crave Mexican!!

erica February 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm

what kind of rice dish is that that you put on your oats?

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Those oats look incredible! Emailing you my blog now =D

xo
K

Cassandra February 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I’m trying buckwheat tonight!, I’m so excited to see how it turns out. Although I haven’t fully started my corn- free foods list on my blog its coming along. But if you have anyone interested or suffering from a corn allergy.

Have a wonderful day :)

[email protected] February 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I find the opposite, I have great workouts early in the week, and by Friday I am out of steam! I have had to change my schedule to have energy for marathon training long runs.
Loaded lunchtime oatmeal looks like a messy, delicious meal! I am looking for something amazing for after my 20 miler tomorrow and this might be it!

Jocelyn February 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Looks delicious! Love all the avocados included this week : )

xo

Jocelyn

Jolene February 26, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Those are some pretty looking oats!!!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) February 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm

FABULOUS! I have yet to make oats savory style and this is an amazing place to start! love the step by step pics!

I was in youtube and typed in jillian michaels and your video came up of you doing some of her workout! it was so cute :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I am afraid of the savory oats but it’s building on me, just because you make it look good.

Daniel February 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Hey, been reading your blog recently and decided to comment for once.

I really like the Mexican spin on the oats, I’m going to have to try them savory sometime!

And I feel the opposite of how you do regarding workouts, I always find my Monday workout easier and I’m much more tired out by the end of the week. :o

Allison February 26, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Looks very tasty! Mexican food is good, yum yum! You’re making me more starving before supper.

Katie February 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Mexican oats are my absolute favorite savory combo. I don’t even eat sweet oats anymore! I always add nooch to min, in addition to the ingredients you used.

Melissa February 26, 2010 at 7:45 pm

We tried the green goddess pizza tonight. It was delicious! We loved the sweet potato casserole and the Moroccan chick pea stew, too.

Your blog is significantly improving our diet!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) February 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Heck yes! Oats are great savory-style. I’ve never tried Mexican oats…but I think I just might!

I made the chocolate pudding! You’re right, it IS fantastic! I froze half of it–it’s like the lovechild of fudge and a fudgesicle.

Monica @ Musings of the Granola Girl February 26, 2010 at 8:17 pm

You’re so creative! I’ve never had savory oats (scared that I won’t like ’em) but those look DELICIOUS!

AGS February 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I think oats are considered a breakfast food mostly in the U.S.. During my 5+ years in Ukraine and Russia, oats were often served as a grain, like rice, with lunch/dinner. Similarly, buckwheat groats, and rice were served hot with milk in the morning.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 26, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I’ve never had savory oats. I’m a little nervous, but I have no idea why. I love other grains with savory foods. I guess you’ve just convinced me to quite worrying. Have a good Friday night!

Audrey February 27, 2010 at 1:36 am

I’ve never had savory oats, but this looks pretty darn tasty! I love the colors and textures in the photos.

Oh, and I like the long john analogy. Cute. :D

Brooke February 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Just tried savory oats for the first time loosely following your recipe…LOVED ‘EM! Color me an addict!!