Green Goddess

Hello. Fancy meeting you here! :)

My workouts this week have been strong and solid. There is no doubt in my mind that not running in Sunday’s race was the right decision.

I will never let myself feel a twinge of guilt ever again when I listen to my body!

Monday I ran an 8km– on my own time- and I saved $35! My legs felt really good after a day of rest and stretching.

Tuesday was a lovely rest day once again. I have actually changed my Spring Training Plan around a bit to include MORE rest days! I have found that since my workouts have been quite intense and involve strength work, my body craves more rest. I have been taking about 2-3 rest days per week. This is a big thing for me because in the past I used to never let myself take rest days. Three cheers for being good to the body.

I have been doing some light stretching/yoga on my rest days for about 10 minutes or so, followed by about 5 minutes of meditation (Enya + lights out + laying down = bliss).

Today was a great 3 mile interval run:

• 1/2 mile: 6.2 mph, incline 2%
  • 1/2 mile: 7.2, incline 2%
  • Repeat intervals until 3 miles are done
  • Total time = 27 mins for 3 miles

Something that excites me: I haven’t had to use my knee sleeves while running. I wonder if that is because my leg muscles supporting my knees are stronger due to the strength workouts? I am very happy about this. I hope that I can keep it up when I hit the pavement come spring.

I capped off my run with the Booty Camp Fitness Intermediate workout and a ton of stretching.

I was a hungry, hungry hippo for lunch!

IMG_1440

Green Goddess Pizza with Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel Tortilla Wrap
  • 2 T tomato paste or pizza sauce
  • 1-2 cups baby spinach
  • Pinch sea salt, to taste
  • 1/2 Avocado, sliced
  • 6 cherry tomato, sliced
  • Leftover sprouts
  • basil and parsley , to taste
  • 2 teaspoons 3 Minute Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Directions: In a food processor process the spinach. Stir in tomato paste and salt. Spread tortilla with spinach mixture. Add sliced avocado, tomato, vegan parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes on low- watch carefully! Serve immediately.

IMG_1418 IMG_1420

3 Minute Vegan Parmesan Cheese:

IMG_1423

This was really tasty. The green sauce was a nice change and was a fun way to sneak in some greens.

IMG_1438

These Ezekiel tortillas have really grown on me. I don’t mind them at all anymore and the thickness is kind of fun to chew.

Talk about a thin crust!

IMG_1448

My pizza had a soft belly so I folded it into a sandwich. Mmmmm.

IMG_1454

Little known fact- I used to hate avocado! When Eric and I went to Mexico late in 2007 I got hooked on the resort’s guacamole. There is no better guacamole than fresh from Mexico! Once home, I decided to buy avocados and I was hooked ever since.

With Japanese Sencha green tea and a discount, bruised pear which was worth way more than I paid for it! It was at the peak of juiciness.

IMG_1441 IMG_1461

My snack this afternoon will be an Adore Glo Bar (which are on sale today FYI)

IMG_1468

Updates:

Size Healthy Around The Blog World:

Back to work I go. I have 150 more Glo Bars to make and then a late afternoon business meeting. I need to get everything finished for the Hockey games tonight!! Going to be ‘hum-dingers’ as my dad would say. ;)

Angela_Signature

The essential thing is not knowledge, but character.
Joseph Le Conte

1 Lauren @ BIOCHEMISTA February 24, 2010

That is probably the most delish pizza pic I’ve ever seen!!! I’m allergic to parm so I def need to try your pseudo-parm!! :)

-Lauren

2 Jenn @ Livewellfit February 24, 2010

Is avocado the best food EVER! I even incorporate them into my smoothies every so often. :)

My fiance is absolutely in LOVE with your glo bars!!!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010

Glad to hear that! :)

I must try avocado in GM’s I think I had a bad experience once and have been scared to try it again.

4 Sammi February 24, 2010

Where is the FL meetup? the link doesn’t seem to be working!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010
6 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 24, 2010

Bruised pears are always the juiciest and sweetest tasting!!! Don’t judge a book/pear by it’s cover :)

Glad you have had some rockin’ workouts this week!! Doesn’t it feel great??

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010

I agree- Eric looked at it and said Ewwwww. I say Yummmmm.

8 Carolyn February 24, 2010

I think avacado has been growing on me, too!

9 Mary February 24, 2010

The pizza looks wonderful, I will try that soon!! And yes, strength training, especially glutes, quads and hams support your joints by building up the muscles around them. Quads especially help the knees be stronger. Good for you Angela!

10 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 24, 2010

oh, i’m totally interested in a florida meet-up! except i live in colorado… :(

that green goddess pizza looks amazing! i definitely want to try it soon…maybe friday night? also, thanks so much for instigating the “size healthy” movement! i’m lovin’ it!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010

ROAD TRIP! Ive always wanted to go to Colorado… ;)

12 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 24, 2010

The pizza looks delicious!!!

13 jessica @ how sweet February 24, 2010

The pizza looks so good, even to me who doesn’t like veggies! I’m going to try the vegan parm on my kale chips. I do something similar with nutritional yeast, but I am excited to try yours!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010

Oh thanks for reminding me to make kale chips…I still havent made them yet! I’m a bit scared :\ lol

15 Claire February 24, 2010

Looks delicious!!:-) cc

16 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 24, 2010

Glad to hear that you made the right choice with not doing the race. Sometimes you have to listen to yourself! That pizza looks awesome.

17 Cristina February 24, 2010

I had an avocado with my lunch today as well (vegetarian “ham” sandwich, mmm). I noticed you only used 1/2 the avocado…does the other half store well? I always figured it would go bad easily so I just eat the whole thing :p

18 Angela (oh she glows) February 24, 2010

It stores just OK…2 days max and it browns a tiny bit. If you leave the pit in the avocado it is supposed to help prevent it from spoiling as quickly! :)

19 Katrina M February 24, 2010

that trick also works for guacamole… after you mash and mix it all up, put the pits in there. it will keep it from turning brown… we had some the other night at my parent’s house, and my mom put the leftovers in the fridge with the pits. the next day it STILL wasn’t brown!

20 rachael February 24, 2010

Your pizza looks amazing!

21 Ameena February 24, 2010

Rest days used to be such a challenge for me too. It took an injury to realize how necessary they really are!

Delicious looking pizza. I love avocado anywhere and everywhere.

22 Christie @ Honoring Health February 24, 2010

That pizza looks amazing!

23 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 24, 2010

Yay for running without a sleeve. Stronger leg muscles can 100 percent help reduce knee pain. The focus of my physical therapy was to build up the muscles around the knee so that it properly tracked and therefore stopped hurting. I can notice a huge difference in my knees when I don’t strength train compared to when I do.

24 Lizzie February 24, 2010

Pizza looks amazing!! I am having a hard time finding anything Ezekiel!

Funny on the avocado – I also didn’t start loving it until my mum made me some tomato, avocado, and cheese sandwiches for a trip I was going on and I loved them. Other fruits/veg I didn’t used to like but now love – bananas (as a runner not sure how I lived without these!), broccoli, beets (in a salad), eggplant, rockmelon, nectarines, and apricots. It just amazes me that there are people who don’t like any (or not a lot) of fruit and veggies. Seriously – who wouldn’t love fruit . . it tastes amazing and is so good for you! :)

25 Aneta February 24, 2010

i would love to join the Toronto meet up. I have never been to a blogger meet up before. Nor have I ever met any of the bloggers that I read.
But unfortunately, that is when i am in Cuba. Oh well. Maybe next time!
But great suggestion!!!!

26 Allison @ Food For Healing February 24, 2010

the pizza looks so healthy!
I haven’t gotten onto the avocado boat, maybe i just need it in a recipe a certain way for me to get hooked, but i just haven’t really tried experimenting with it thus far.

27 Betherann February 24, 2010

While you’re road-tripping to Colorado, you should stop in Montana! It’s almost Canada, anyway… :)

I must say that the I’ve never thought of processing spinach into my pizza sauce. Guess what’s for dinner tonight? ;)

28 Ashley B February 24, 2010

Oh Angela… yet again you tug at my heart strings with delicious pizza. And hooray to having all the same ingredients in my pantry/fridge…AGAIN!

29 Sophie @ yumventures February 24, 2010

Your pizza looks incredible! I’ll have to try that spinach sauce…fab idea :)

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 24, 2010

avocado on pizza, why on earth haven’t I tried that!?!?!

31 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 24, 2010

Love the green pizza sauce! Yum. :)

I still don’t *love* avocados, but I’m trying to incorporate them more in my diet! I love sneaking them in my green monsters, and making salad dressing out of them! Oh, and I can totally down some chocolate avocado pudding!

32 Paige @ Running Around Normal February 24, 2010

I like the program your training plan is in. I’ll have to try that out. Love me the Google apps.

Ooh, that pizza sauce sounds delicious! A tip to try for your next Ezekiel pizza: broil the tortilla by itself first for about 3 minutes @ 400º. That way, it won’t have a soft belly, and the “crust” will cook more evenly:) Just a suggestion!

33 Heather February 24, 2010

great job on the workout!
listening to enya and laying down with the lights off just doing nothing soudns fab!

34 Tracey February 24, 2010

I see that you mentioned meditation. It has been recomended to me as something that would help deal with my stress. Would you be able to explain how/what you do to meditate? I have no idea.

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2010

For me, I get stressed when I feel like I have to do it a certain way. I think meditation is unique for everyone and no method is one size fits all.

I like to listen to soothing music, turn out the lights, and try to just be still in my thoughts. Sometimes I repeat a word like ‘Peace’ to quiet my mind and bring my focus to a point, esp. if my thoughts are going wild.

Anyone else want to chime in?

36 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 24, 2010

That pizza looks DELISH! I need to try it, ASAP!

xo
K

37 KathyR February 24, 2010

Hey! Thanks for the shout.

That pizza does look awesome.

38 Leah February 24, 2010

I make pizzas on tortilla wraps all the time. I always pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes on each side while Im getting everything else ready. Keeps the middle from being too soft.
That green sauce sounds so good. Anything that combines basil and tomato is bound to be a winner!

39 Mae @ OhhMay February 24, 2010

I can’t wait to try this cheese . CAN’T WAIT!

40 Brooke February 24, 2010

Pizza on tortillas is so fun! They are a good size for my kids too and we let them build their own pizza. It can be messy but they have fun with it and always eat so much better when they ‘make’ their own dinner!

Great job on allowing your body to rest. That is my newest challenge…forcing myself to rest completely, at least, one day per week. 2 weeks in and so far, Success!

Meditation sounds so lovely and relaxing right now. I am teaching RPM (Spin Class) for the very first time tonight and find myself in fits of nervousness!

Thanks for the post!

41 Ally (Exercise and Pies) February 24, 2010

That pizza looks so so good!

I’m in recovery from an ED and I take TWO rest days a week… I used to force myself to work out for hours a day and took zero breaks. It was hard to sit around and be ‘lazy’ on my off days but to be honest my body really needs the rest and I am definitely getting stronger

42 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 24, 2010

What a wonderful idea – I LOVE the addition of avocado – brilliant!!

43 EaterNotARunner February 24, 2010

Pizza on a tortilla is such a great idea! And of course avocado makes everything better ;-)

44 Sarah Ikegami February 24, 2010

Mmm, I gotta try this? Hating avocado? I have NO concept of that!
Good luck on the Glo Bars!

45 Sarah Ikegami February 24, 2010

oops, meant to type, “Mmmm, I gotta try this!” Haha.

46 Michal February 24, 2010

I made your cheese just now and had some sprinkled on my salad for dinner and it was deelish! :)

47 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 24, 2010

what a great pizza idea, I love the pesto kind of spread that you made.

48 Ellie February 24, 2010

Your pizza recipe is the inspiration I needed for dinner tonight during the hockey game. Thanx for sharing all your great meal ideas and creations with us!

Enjoy the hockey game tonight! (I hate this situation: I’m an Ovechkin fan, yet a Canadian at heart!) hihihi

49 Gina February 24, 2010

I HAVE to get some of those tortillas and try your pizza recipes!

I love avocado too! I mostly use it for guac and adding to salads. I found a recipe for avocado and grapefruit salad that I may try this week!

While you’re at it, you should visit Seattle as well! I need someone to try the veggie and veagan restaurants with…I just can’t talk the boyfriend into it!

50 Alicia A Jones February 24, 2010

So funny your post was about avocados today! I just fixed a fresh avocado a few minutes ago by slicing, squeezing fresh lemon, sea salt and pepper on top. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD YUM! :)

51 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 24, 2010

That pizza sounds fantastic!! I used to hate avocados too.. what was I thinking?!

52 Rosie February 24, 2010

I’m so excited you’ll be here, Angela! I work at the lululemon outlet so let me know when you’re coming by. (:

53 Allison February 24, 2010

Hey Angela. Just wondering if you saw this Nightline special last night called, “Is it ok to be fat?” It addresses both the health and image aspects of being fat and thin. http://www.hulu.com/watch/130074/abc-nightline-tue-feb-23-2010

54 Jil February 24, 2010

Mmmm that pizza looks amazing

55 Mrs. Money February 24, 2010

I love those wraps! They took a little getting used to though. I just don’t like that they aren’t flexible enough :(

56 Noelle February 24, 2010

That pizza looks fabulous!! I can’t get enough of avocados! I think you can do so much with them, like making chocolate mousse or guacamole. Very versatile.

57 Cynthia (It All Changes) February 24, 2010

I love avocados. I eat at least 1/2 of one a day in the summer.

58 Veronica February 24, 2010

(Enya + lights out + laying down = bliss)

I do that too! Enya and everything! haha

I’m in nursing school (last semester) and I’ve never been so stressed in my life. “Me time” with some soft music, low lights or candles, and deep breathing does WONDERS!!!

59 Alison @ finnyfinds February 24, 2010

Hi Angela! Your pizza looks amazing! I wanted to tell you that I used to wear knee sleeves too, but when I lift and stretch consistently, I don’t need to wear them. I assume it’s because our strong muscles are able to take the brunt of the hard workout. I also only workout 4-5 days/week. Lots of rest is critical!

60 Nicole February 24, 2010

That pizza looks delicious! I love avocado’s, especially having it on toasted bread :) I made a pizza on an Ezekiel Tortilla Wrap before but I made cashew cheese and put sauteed veggies and chicken on it and then broiled it!

61 Jolene February 24, 2010

That pizza looks AMAZING and your pictures of it are fantastic!! You are quite the photographer girl!!

62 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness February 25, 2010

What a wonderful pizza recipe, thanks for posting!

63 Jessica February 25, 2010

Thanks for the size healthy shout out! =D And not just mine, but for everyone else’s links who participated that you’ve shared with us all the past few days! I’m finding great new bloggers! You’re awesome, thanks again and again for everything you put out here! <3

64 Kelli February 25, 2010

Although I’ve really expanded my palate over the years (my childhood diet consisted largely of corndogs and pizza), I still can’t get into some good-for-me produce. Things I still want to like: whole potatoes (I’m such a bad Idaho girl), eggplant, avocado, beets, and purple cabbage.

65 Lauren February 25, 2010

Crazy to think that beautiful pizza was just whipped up on a tortilla. It looks like something I could imagine being served in a vegan restaurant!

66 Jocelyn February 25, 2010

That pizza looks delicious!! I’m obsessed with Avocados : )

67 Diana February 25, 2010

I’d love to meet up but I’ll be in FL in April…will miss you by one month! :(

Pizza looks delish and good for you to listen to your body! :)

68 AGS February 25, 2010

I thought you’d enjoy reading this as it relates to your project for using natural products:

BTW — that green goddess pizza lookes terrific, and I’m going to try to create something like it tonight.

69 Kirsten February 25, 2010

I just wanted to say that I think it is awesome that you listened to your body. Being a fellow runner I know that sometimes it is so easy to get swept up into races.

That pizza looks amazing as well!

70 Betherann February 26, 2010

I tried the spinach sauce, and added some balsamic and garlic. So it’s not really green goddess-like . . . more like a brown goddess sauce, but still delicious. :) I posted it here: http://tiny.cc/ESsBF

71 Amanda February 26, 2010

This pizza looks fantastic and healthy! I wish I had your 3-minute parm. recipe last night when I made some pesto pasta, can’t wait to try it!