Size Healthy Extravaganza

Good morning!

A quick note- Run and Renew Glo Bars are available in the cart once again! Thanks for your patience.

Thankfully I did not have any regrets yesterday after my decision not to race. My muscles in my legs were quite sore all day long and I just didn’t feel myself. I took it easy and had a nice Sunday!

What a hockey game last night!! It was a heartbreaker, but I really think Miller deserved that win last night. He was smokin, wasn’t he?

I had so much fun going through all of your Size Healthy submissions. What an uplifting feeling! I am just imagining so many of you looking at the tag and smiling each day because that is what I have been doing myself.

My friend Jess was so excited she made a TrulyJess styled inspirational video:

How amazing is she!

Her jeans:

DSC 0012 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Tiina from Finland wrote:

I do feel pressure but I guess the pressure is much bigger in the States and Canada. Here in Finland the pressure to be size 0 is not same as in e.g. Hollywood but still we do have skinny models in magazines and I feel like clothes today are smaller than they used to be. For example,  today’s size L (US 8) is the old M(US 4) or S (US 6).  So I have to buy larger clothes than normal.  Is this because the fashion industry wants us to think we are too big? Not everyone has to be like catwalk models.
Here, normally, nobody asks about your size. But people measure you by their look. We have tons of magazines about how to lose wait and leave healthy. I do understand the tips from the media on how to eat and leave healthy as some say Finnish people are the fattest nation in the world (I don’t agree).  But sometimes it gets overboard.

sizehealthy thumb2   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Monica wrote:

I am loving this “Size Healthy” idea. I just told my mom the other day that I needed pants, but didn’t want to buy them because I don’t want to buy anything in the size that currently fits me :( Well, forget that number – it’s size healthy now!

RuneatrepeatSizehealthy thumb   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Paige said:

Hi Angela! I think your size healthy post is such a cool idea. Hope it’s not too late to get in my “size healthy” picture in to you.
This is on a pair of my Banana Republic jeans. In my opinion, this store is the epitome of vanity sizing.

IMG 5498 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Heather:

sizehealthy thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Morgan wrote:

Thanks for the awesome contest!  It was a great reason for me to write this post.  Even though I’ve always been skinny, that didn’t mean I was always healthy.  So the size on the pants really was NOT an indicator that I was doing right by my body.  For me – size really does not matter!

IMG 2372 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Liz:

Healthy thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Melanie wrote:

I know I didn’t write it on my tag but I got a little creative and thought, “Why not show it to the world?!” Wear “Size Healthy” on my belt. Let everyone know I’m healthy – stretch marks and all!

23 thumb   Size Healthy Extravaganza Michelle:

P3213803 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Joy wrote:

This was actually a hard challenge for me because I cut sizes out of
my clothes when I buy them – but these are new leggings to wear under
my run shorts.

And to answer your 3 questions
Do you think there is too much pressure on women today to attain that
size 0 or even 00? Yes – I am miserable if I am not XYZ sized
What do you think about vanity sizing?
It makes me NUTS!
Have you ever been asked by someone what size you are?
ALL. THE. TIME!

noname thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Heather wrote:

Angela, thank you so much for doing this contest…even if I don’t win, I’m so excited to cross out the size of everything I own and write “healthy” instead!  What a great reminder :)

DSC0002 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Click below for the rest of the post!

Monica:

IMG 0611 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Kelly wrote:

Here is my Size Healthy pic.  It is absolutely true, and actually really frustrating that even different styles within the same brand might have different fits – meaning you have to try on each and every pair, knowing that you might be a couple of sizes up or down in each one.  Wonderful idea!!  :)

I will also post a link to your post on my tumblr blog: pugtails.tumblr.com  this is the post: http://pugtails.tumblr.com/post/397469061/size-healthy

DSC07575 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Sarah:

DSC02383 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Ashley:

jeans thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

jeans2 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Angela:

IMG 0412 thumb2   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Caroline:

IMG 2657 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Brooke wrote:

Thank you so much the idea to write “size healthy” on our clothing tags.  I think it is so important to know that the numbers don’t matter as long as we are healthy.  I have attached a picture of my jean tags with your inspirational message!

DSC 0621 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Kristin:

IMG 2774 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Courtney:

004 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Jimena wrote:

Hi Angela
It was such a good idea and I decided to start with my favourite t-shirt that reads
¨Je suis Belle et Superbe¨ it just boosts up my mood whenever Im down.
Wish You the best!

size1 thumb   Size Healthy Extravaganza size2 thumb   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Kimberly wrote:

Yay for “size healthly”!!! My body has changed SO much since become pregnant with my first child and to be honest, it’s not easy to see those numbers rise on the scale. BUT, I have never felt more beautiful, feminine, or sexy. Yes, sexy. Round belly and all. Size doesn’t matter!

DSC02437 thumb1   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Kayzilla wrote:

These babies are actually a smaller size then the rest of my pants I own, but I never took much notice to them. All I care about is how comfortable they are… but, As the tag says,  still makes my booty look cute. Lol, am I vain or what! :P I don’t mind though. I like ‘em. They fit. That’s how pants should always be.

201002171113000 thumb   Size Healthy Extravaganza

For the next week or two, I will be featuring a few bloggers every day who posted about Size Healthy.

Check out Size Healthy Around the blog world:

And now for the three randomly selected winners for Glo Bar gift certificates:

1. Angela
  2. Catherine
  3. Sarah R.

Congrats!!!! Thank you to everyone who participated. Please email me (angela [at] ohsheglows.com) to claim your prize.

In other news:

March Meet-Ups:

1. March 7th: Toronto- lunch
  2. March 22nd: Naples area, FL- dinner
  3. March 24th: Ft. Lauderdale- early morning run + breakfast
  4. March 26th: Orlando- dinner + bar
  5. March 28th/29th: Sarasota- tentative

If you are interested in attending one or more of these meet-ups, please email angela [at]ohsheglows.com with the subject line MEET UP. Please tell me which locations you are interested in attending. :) Hope to meet you in March!

High ho, high ho…

Angela Signature thumb27   Size Healthy Extravaganza

Annie February 22, 2010

That contest is great! I can’t believe I missed it, but I am glad so many people participated!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 22, 2010

Hi Ange! I was out all last week and just wanted to drop in and say how cool ‘size healthy’ is. I am really short and have always been a ‘larger’ size that people think I should be, and it used to cause some anxiety. I’ve gotten over it but I think this is a fabulous idea!!

Ameena February 22, 2010

Hi Angela – what a fabulous post. I love all the great pictures and can tell it probably took you a while to put this together. Love your dedication to making us all happier with our sizes!

Melanie’s belt is awesome!

Amanda February 22, 2010

Hi Angela!
I love seeing all of these pictures!
I just wanted to thank you for coming up with this idea. There is, as we all know, so much pressure on women to be the smallest size possible. I really think that you are doing such a wonderful job of making women feel healthy and beautiful and accepting of our bodies.
Amazing work!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner February 22, 2010

This is so amazing! honestly it is inspiring just to read your blog sometimes :-)

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 22, 2010

I love all of the posts you are showing us! It is so incredible how things can spread and suddenly we are all focused on 1 way to reclaim our health, balance and healthy perspectives!

Angela February 22, 2010

Oh my gosh I’m so excited I can’t believe I won!! Thanks so much Angela!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 22, 2010

What an uplifting post for a dreary Monday morning!! This just brought a big smile to my face, so thank you!

Pam February 22, 2010

Awesome Post! SO TRUELY STATED!…healthy is better than what size you are! GREAT!

xoxo

jessica February 22, 2010

Yay size healthy!!!! Size is totally overrated!!!

I was reading an article in the paper about Coco Rocha (a Canadian model) and she has really started to speak out about how stupid sizing is. She actually has a blog and writes about it all. http://ohsococo.blogspot.com/ Here’s a great line she wrote: I’m a 21 year old model, 6 inches taller and 10 sizes smaller than the average American woman. Yet in another parallel universe I’m considered “fat”…

She and I actually wear the same size yet I do not look like her AT ALL! And that’s fine by me! I think she looks great and I too look great!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 22, 2010

This is such an awesome idea. It’s so true that people come in all different shapes and sizes and no one is healthier than another. (And some skinny minnies aren’t that healthy!) I love seeing all these women’s Size Healthy clothes together. Thanks!

Diana February 22, 2010

Great Post! So nice to see all of the entries! Nice to see my link there too! Congrats to the winners!
Diana

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 22, 2010

i loved every second of this post…it’s so amazing to see women come together and get rid of the societal expectations and pay attention to our own. I am INSPIRED by all of us!

Sarah Ikegami February 22, 2010

Angela,
What a revolution you are starting with “Size Healthy”! Wow, I love it! It’s empowering to cross out a number and accept yourself in your jeans! I hate the way jeans are marketed. Some stores make their sizes so small you feel badly (or just don’t buy them) and some make them so large…we get jaded by numbers when that’s all they are…numbers! Who cares!
Thanks for heading up this act of freedom :)
Sarah

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyl February 22, 2010

you are so great! I love all of your posts but I think this one is truly inspirational to many women!!!

Bronwyn February 22, 2010

That’s an awesome contest! It’s so good to see so many people being a size Healthy.

Melanie February 22, 2010

Please tell someone else out there thinks this is just stupid.There I said it and I’m ready for all the “I’m wrong”,all the bloggers are right.I love to see the size all my hard work has got me.You realize when you go into the stores you’ll have to look at sizes.They wont all say “size healthy”LOL.Hey,anyone want my sons leftover markers?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

You are just plain rude…that is unfortunate you feel the need to try to bring others down.

Jaime February 22, 2010

Melanie, I’m sure Angela welcomes your opinions and a valid discussion…but why be rude about it? No need to throw mean statements around. Geesh.

Olivia February 22, 2010

Melanie,

While I agree that it’s nice to see the size you’ve worked so hard for, and I’m not trying to sound rude, but I think you’re totally missing the point. I believe Ange (Ange, please correct me if I’m wrong) was pointing out the fact that there is no one size that is healthy for everyone. Every single person has a different body type & size and your “SIZE HEALTHY” is obviously different from mine or the next person’s. It’s about being happy, fit, and healthy and not caring about what some stupid tag says. Especially now that so many stores have sizing screwed up. It’s about being happy and satisfied with what you’ve worked so hard for, no matter what your size!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker February 22, 2010

Agreed. Those of us with disordered eating in our past have issues with size. And no one size is right for all. I like Angela’s idea to take away labels . . . and just be ourselves, at whatever size that may be. We all work hard and are proud at what we can achieve, but I like to think of myself as being fitter, able to run marathons, and healthy. Not the size I am. And if you really feel that that number defines you, fine. But I think that’s sad.

Molly @thevegandorm February 22, 2010

I’m not upset by your not labelling your jeans – I understand if your size is a source of pride and not a source of stress. Although, like the commenter above said, that size is your”Size healthy”, and not everyone’s will be the same. The idea here is that there is no one size that every woman should be shooting for.

HOWEVER I have a huge issue with your attitude and rudeness. If you want to make an argument for your point of view, you should learn how to make it respectfully. Otherwise, everyone will ignore your points, whether they’re valid or not, and just write you off as a b*tch.

Olivia February 22, 2010

Just reading my comment has made me realize that I’ve been sucked into the ‘this size is right’ mentality! “While I agree that it’s nice to see the size you’ve worked so hard for…” UGH! What was I thinking. This is so not the way I want to be living life. I think I missed it when I said that! It’s not AT ALL a size that I work so hard for. It’s to be healthy, fit, and happy with my body that makes me work hard! I definitely notice that when I’m not working out or eating as well I could be I stress about weight/sizes. On the other hand, when I’m active, running, eating clean foods, etc., I could care less what size I am because I feel GREAT!! Ok, I’m done, just wanted to put that out there!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) February 22, 2010

There’s a difference in working toward a goal, and realizing that a clothing size will not make you happy.

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 22, 2010

If Melanie was ready for the backlash, she wouldn’t have made herself practically anonymous. C’mon, share your blog or your email with us.

Molly @thevegandorm February 22, 2010

Haha so true – I have yet to see a mean commenter leave an email or blog address. I love it because they obviously know they’re being mean.

Amy February 22, 2010

It bothers me that so many people are missing the message.

I have lost 100lbs, I workout daily, have a healthy BMI, I have excellent blood pressure/sugar/cholesterol levels.

That being said, I can wear anywhere between a size 10, all the way up to a 16.

I used to struggle BIG time with the size on the tag, to the point that often I wouldn’t buy the item if it wasn’t what I thought I should wear.

No one can see the size on your clothes tag. So the message here is, who cares what size the clothing is?

I’M HEALTHY!

Jennie {in Wonderland} February 22, 2010

So what is your email address? Your blog address? If you’re ‘ready’ for the backlash, then why didn’t you post anything that differentiates you from the common troll online?

This is just rude and frankly, cowardly too. I’m glad you’re super happy with the size of your pants, but a lot of people are self conscious about theirs, and what Ange is doing – and rocking at doing – is showing everyone that size truly doesn’t matter. Not everyone will be a size zero, and that is OK. Health is what matters, not size.

BTW: thank you for pointing out that we will have to see sizes in stores. I hadn’t realized that and now that you’ve enlightened me, I will have to go cry into my grapefruit juice.

Shelly February 22, 2010

It’s great that you are proud of your hard work, but sad that you need to see a certain number in your clothes to make you feel that way. And news flash, store sizing varies pretty widely- I’d say that I have to consider 3 or 4 different sizes on a given shopping trip.
And it’s pathetic that you have to anonymously call other people’s ideas stupid to feel good about yourself. I’d rather just celebrate my Size Healthy jeans. :)

Ellie February 22, 2010

How unfortunate :( Melanie, really you determine your hard work by the size on a pair of pants? I have trained my whole life in various sports, have washboard abs, am healthy and happy and I wear a size 4, yet I know others who are unhealthy (and many are unhappy!) and may I say with a high body fat percentage (because they lack proper nutrition) and yet fit and strive to be in a small size. Regardless of your impressions on the “size healthy” contest (which I think is just TERRIFIC!), you should really concentrate your efforts on being healthy, fit and mainly happy…regardless of a tag! And all your hard work? well, if body image is what matters most to you, know that if you do work hard, it will show where it matters to you: on the outside… no matter the tag!

Tricia February 22, 2010

Wow. Get a life Melanie.

I don’t get why people waste their time writing such hurtful garbage on these blogs. If you don’t agree with it, don’t read it!

Kris February 22, 2010

Oh, Melanie….you should really work a little more on your character and grammar than on achieving that magical number. You are truly missing the point here. It is so sad that we need to explain this to you.

Hopefully you do not pass this negativity on to your poor children.

Move along to reading another blog….we do not want you lingering here.

Amanda February 22, 2010

Melanie, how rude! You should take your negativity elsewhere. Maybe a place where they can appreciate your brand of ‘wit’.

Maureen February 22, 2010

Great post I meant to write last week and ask about the size 0 and 00. These were not around when I was younger and wonder how they came to be. My question is how can you be a size 0 this implies to me you do not exist. :-) just a thought

Jennie {in Wonderland} February 22, 2010

I actually know a lot of girls who fit into a size zero. I think since they made sizes smaller and smaller, 1 wasn’t enough anymore and they needed to go below.

My friends Sally and Jenna are both size zero [or have been] and they are super healthy, work out a lot and eat well. So I think really, obviously size zero could be size healthy for a lot of women.

Tricia February 22, 2010

Thanks Jennie, I’m a size zero (I mean, size healthy :-) ) and a very healthy woman. Thanks for the backup!

Maureen February 22, 2010

My point was why did they feel a need for a size 0 I was in no way implying that people that size are not healthy just that it is an odd size for the industry to come up with in the first place. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Shannon, Tropical Eats February 22, 2010

Oh this is amazing! Definitely going to tell the girls in my house about this. This is a great topic .. especially for college girls.

PS I’m going to try and make it to the Orlando bloggie meetup!!! I live in Gainesville about an hour away.. I’m so excited!!! :)

Angie February 22, 2010

Melanie is a hater. I love the “Size Healthy!” campaign, it’s amazing. My sizes range all over the place, a small in one store is a large in another. I’ve learned not to care, as long as my clothes fit and I’m happy with myself. :)

Nicky February 22, 2010

Melanie, don’t you still see the size all your hard work has got you when you look in the mirror? Fair enough if you want to define yourself partly by a clothes-label but I think the success of this project shows that a whole load of people would rather define themselves by how healthy they look and by who and what they are. Not by which end of the rail they find their clothes on.

Live and let live, hey?

Allison February 22, 2010

that rude comment, was just RUDE!
Of course you need to know your real size when you go shopping, but its not like you need to flaunt it and tell everybody else. If you are happy and confident with the size you are, then its HEALTHY. Its your own business to know your size for shopping etc. But as for anyone elses business, theres no point. Its just a NUMBER. I like hearing Size Healthy because even if you go up 1 size, its no biggie because you’re not focusing on numbers, your focusing on what makes you feel BEAUTIFUL!

Molly February 22, 2010

“My question is how can you be a size 0 this implies to me you do not exist. just a thought”

Size 0 just so happens to be my “size healthy” most of the time. I’m barely 5 feet tall and in what I feel like is great shape for me. I didn’t think this was supposed to be about the actual sizes anyway.

I love the size healthy idea . . . it really isn’t about what’s on the tag!

Maureen February 22, 2010

Again sorry it was not meant as an insult to people who wear that size it was more a comment on why a size 0 was created in the first place. I happen to think we are all of a size and to me a 0 implies no size. Again sorry i did not word it better as insulting people was not my intent. My own daughter is a size 0-2 and she thinks it is an odd size to have as well.

Ariel February 22, 2010

It’s okay Maureen, I get what you’re trying to say. Along the lines of “why wouldn’t they just call size 00 size 1 and go from there?” Sorta thing… I guess it’s mostly about vanity sizing. But I do agree it’s weird (like, nobody is size 0 in shoes are they?)

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 22, 2010

I love this! How inspirational. :-)

Ange, I’ve nominated you for an award – your site is great! I’m sooo happy I’ve found another Canadian blog I love!

K

Jamie @ River Runs February 22, 2010

What an inspiring and uplifting post! I hate to go shopping and I think it is because of the ridiculous range of numbers. So way to take a stand against that and inspire others to do so as well! And I’m sad I missed the hockey game – favorite sport, hands down =)

Vanessa February 22, 2010

This is the best post ever!

Eff the haters? ;)

Brooke February 22, 2010

Releasing ourselves from an arbitrary number, to me, is a wonderful concept! I have definitely fallen victim to the sizing monster. Great, GREAT idea Ange!

Kelly Michelle February 22, 2010

what happened to the miami meet up :( I already wrote it on my calendar and everything, must say I am majorly bummed, ft lauderdale is just not possible especially in the early morning, rush hour would make that drive take far far too long from my house

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

Hey Kelly!

I dont think we are going to Miami anymore because it is so pricey and doesnt fit in our tiny budget! :( Sorry about this. I AM however considering just popping into the city perhaps, so I will update if that should change. I’d really love to meet too! :)

Tricia February 22, 2010

Great post Angela! So awesome!

ps
I was curious what your post would be about the hockey game! It was SUCH a great game…as an American I’m probably a little more excited about the outcome ;-)
You’re a good sport!

Lindsay February 22, 2010

I totally agree with the commentor a few above me that said that size 0 can be your size healthy if you are in that size while eating healthily and not obsessively exercising. I have personally gone through treatment for an eating disorder and I know how hard it is to accept a “size healthy”, so I absolutely love all the effort that ange put into this and I am grateful that people are finally coming to see that we are not all created to be that same size. If we were all the same size and shape, the world would be a VERY boring place!!
Also, I thought it was VERY rude and impolite of Melanie to make that comment about this movement to help people to stop stressing and comparing sizes with others!!

Jil February 22, 2010

I just looovvvveee this!! :) I wish a few of the women I know who obsessed over numbers would start thinking like this!!

Angie All The Way February 22, 2010

I almost see “Melanie”‘s condescending comment as being defensive in an attempt to protect her “size tag status”. Angela, “Size Healthy” has more POSITIVE impact than one dissenting voice who appears concerned that her “size status” is going to lose power.

I am willing to bet that most of the people here have “worked hard” for their size, but what’s abundantly clear is that more of us value the end result in an entirely different way, or in the very least would like to.

I support Size Healthy 100%

Heather February 22, 2010

how cool to see so many people participating! thanks for the size healthy motivation, what a great idea!

Bree@beeskneeslife February 22, 2010

Great post! Too bad no matter what the message and how positive it is, there will always be haters.

And Go USA Hockey! ;)

Mae @ OhhMay February 22, 2010

At BCBG the size 0 isn’t anything close to what the models wear. I hope this doesn’t upset anyone: I’m tiny and the 0′s used to be a little roomie on me. But compared to the runway models I was large!
It just goes to show you that the image projected in catalogs and on the runway are unrealistic. Their models couldn’t even go out to the store and find something that fits. It would need to be customized.

This is such a wonderful post. So inspirational!

Shelly February 22, 2010

Isn’t that a shame though? Not just for the models who are being required to conform to an unhealthy aesthetic, but also because you can’t look at a model and get an idea of how things are going to fit on *anyone* besides a model? But somehow we blame ourselves when clothes don’t fit the way we see them fitting models!

Megan February 22, 2010

What a great idea! People really have gotten into it, huh??

Jo @ SeekingHealthyBalance February 22, 2010

Thanks for coming up with this idea Angela – its so inspiring to see women doing something so positive

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 22, 2010

Wow, this made me cry a little! It’s wonderful to see woman shed their lack of confidence and shine through their sizes. I’m currently pregnant so I can’t think about size right now anyway and it’s been really nice:) I love feeling pretty with a big rounded belly!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010

This really is an AWESOME post! Too often we get caught up in ‘sizes’ or what is written on the label. Size Healthy all the way!!!

Tania @ Moment Anew February 22, 2010

What an interesting discussion! :)

I for one am tired of classifying and categorizing myself into sizes and feeling bad that I’m not a single digit size. Let’s face facts though, I may never be a single digit size! That said, I truly do understand being able to objectively (and not obsessively) see changes when trying to get healthy–that may be a weight loss, a change in measurements, etc. I don’t know what the intention of the poster was. But certainly, numbers do not make the person. How you feel is so much more important than your size and feeling vital and healthy trumps every size!

Page 1 of 212»