The Last Leg

Is there a support group for people who are addicted to the Olympics?

The Olympics have me saying things like, ‘Eric, I think I want to take up rifle shooting.’ and ‘With a little training, I think I could rock the luge.’ :mrgreen: Anyone else?

Last night’s hockey game was fun…and SCARY!

IMG 8443 thumb   The Last Leg IMG 8448 thumb   The Last Leg

I thought our dear hockey players were going to blow that game. I stop breathing when good hockey is on TV. What a nail bitter! We are so excited for the big US vs. Canada game on Sunday night. It will be EPIC, my friends, E.P.I.C.

Today was a crazy Friday! I was preparing a huge order for a party tonight and I was rush, rush, rush all day, which explains my lack of post this morning. I was making up a bunch of cute Glo Bar goodie bags for a Sweet Sixteen party. It was a lot of work, but rewarding when I was all done.

Today was all about The Last Leg.

Let me explain…

I started off my day on The Last Leg because I was a wild child last night and up way too late. Come 6am this morning, I was not a happy camper, but I had a big bowl of oats to cheer me up.

Energized with oats, I decided to do the Booty Camp Fitness DVD- Intermediate level. My body would have kicked me in the bootay if it could. It was great though: lunges, squats, burpies, push-ups, planks, plyometrics, etc for about 45 mins.

[Insert crazy day of work here.]

Then it was time for some grocery shopping.

Everything I bought was on its’ LAST LEG:

IMG 1219 thumb   The Last Leg

• 2 Ginger (amazing for juicing)
  • 6 Grapefruit
  • 1 onion (not for juicing!)
  • 5 limes
  • 4 lemons
  • 7 carrots
  • 6 pears

A couple readers gave me a great tip about saving money on juicing- buy the discounted produce! Thanks for the great idea! All of this produce cost me just $7 CAD.This produce will last me a week’s worth of juicing. Incredible. You can’t beat $1 a juice. Have I also mentioned that I am strangely hooked on grapefruit now after 25 years of hating them? Funny how tastes change…

IMG 1222 thumb   The Last Leg

I know the owner of the store and I asked him to just put the old produce in a bag for me each week to pick up to save them using the Styrofoam. Hopefully he remembers next weekend when I go back. I think he thinks I am a weird one… ;)

Dinner was also on its’ Last Leg, but it tasted nothing of the sort. Remember on Valentine’s Day when Eric did a big cooking blow-out? Well, he also bought enough produce to feed the ARMY! :mrgreen:

…so The Last Leg Roasted Veggie Dinner was born!

The Last Leg Roasted Veggies

IMG 1259 thumb   The Last Leg

Ingredients:

• 2 cooked potatoes
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 1 zucchini
  • 3 carrots
  • 1/2 Broccoli
  • 3 T Sunflower seeds
  • 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • S & P
  • Dried parsley
  • Italian Seasoning (I used the PC Brand)

Directions: Chop all veggies. Place into a large bowl and toss with seasonings and EVOO. Pour onto baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 35-40 minutes at 425F. Serve and enjoy!

Before going into the oven:

IMG 1203 thumb   The Last Leg  IMG 1202 thumb   The Last Leg

The sunflower seeds gave it a nice crunch!

IMG 1261 thumb   The Last Leg

On the side I had two Organic Whole Wheat Lavish thins:

IMG 1262 thumb   The Last Leg

One spread with hummus and one with Almond Butter:

IMG 1266 thumb   The Last Leg

This was quite possibly the perfect meal. A meal like this is just bliss to me!

IMG 1254 thumb   The Last Leg

Dessert was a Classic Glo bar. I always overlook the Classic, but when I have one I always remember why it became such a hit. This is the flavour that started it all!

IMG 1278 thumb   The Last Leg

V-Day Flowers, reminding me that I need to see the Valentine’s Day movie ASAP!

IMG 1227 thumb   The Last Leg IMG 1229 thumb   The Last Leg IMG 1230 thumb   The Last Leg

Anyone see it yet?

IMG 1231 thumb   The Last Leg

Size Healthy Contest

I am extending the Size Healthy contest until tomorrow at noon EST!!! Keep those entries coming in. I love seeing all of the amazing pictures and reading your stories about feeling so liberated.

I also have a really fun Size Healthy video coming up. :)

~~~

Going to figure out the plan for the weekend now…

Looks like it will involve:

• Girlfriends,
  • Fresh,
  • Running (possibly fast!),
  • amazing weather

Make it a good one!

Angela Signature thumb24   The Last Leg

Don’t let anyone take away your light. Never give someone permission to change who you are or make you think you should be anything but you. ~my new motto

Mrs. Money February 19, 2010

WOW, girl! That’s great! Have you frozen veggies when they are on their way out?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2010

No i havent!! Is there a good way to do it?

christie, honoring health February 19, 2010

Wow, I wish my store had “last leg” produce! They never have discounted produce, at least not on the days that I shop. Maybe I should call and find out if they have it on certain days or something.

Runeatrepeat February 19, 2010

I love roasted veggies :) That looks so good!

Meghan@traveleatlove February 19, 2010

I definitely love last leg produce, especially bananas. Great for freezing for smoothies, and they are only pennies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2010

ohh yea I get the discounted bananas too- two HUGE bunches yesterday and they are now all in the freezer! :) mmmm soft serve…

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life February 19, 2010

Love all the great veggies and fruit, I’ll have to check out my grocery store for some last-leg finds!! I’m jealous of you going to Fresh, every time you post about it, I remember how much I want to go!

Lisa February 19, 2010

I heard Valentines Day was good; but haven’t seen it. When In Rome was a cute chicky flicky. Beautiful flowers and food there! Yep we’re getting addicted to the Olympics too; loving the snowboarding.

'Dee February 19, 2010

Mmmm, those roasted veggies look awesome. My favorite way to cook veggies!

I haven’t seen Valentine’s Day either but want to – if you go, let us know what you think!

PS – love the new motto.

angela @ a healthy fit February 19, 2010

I think I am going to see Valentine’s Day tomorrow. I have been on a Size Healthy high. Thanks for bringing it to all of us! Last leg veggies, what a great idea and so economical.

Tiffany February 19, 2010

You should try a pummelo! Its like a giant, slightly sweet grapefruit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2010
Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 19, 2010

Such beautiful flowers!!! I love those spiky green ones. They look like koosh balls!

Love last leg produce, too!

Hangry Pants February 19, 2010

I practice my skating moves on my hardwood floor.

Let me know when the support group meets.

Jil February 19, 2010

Buying the discounted produce is such a great idea!! I can’t believe that only cost you $7CAD! Dinner looks fab. I kind of find that when I’m in a pinch and need to come up with a meal to use produce before it goes bad is actually when I’ve come up with some of my favorite recipes!

Sarah R February 19, 2010

We saw Valentines Day. It was really cute! Great idea about buying the discounted fruit. Our grocery stores around here don’t do that…

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place February 19, 2010

I wish my grocery store sold produce on it’s last leg for a discount. 59 cents for 3 pears?! amazing!!!

Audrey February 19, 2010

Those roasted veggies look awesome!

Mo February 19, 2010

That is a beautiful photo of the flowers!

Jen February 19, 2010

You SO need to see the Valentine’s Day movie! Hubby and I went on Family Day and it was great. It’s definitely a chick flick but not so much that Eric will be bored – my hubs enjoyed it. Me? I enjoyed seeing Dr’s McDreamy AND McSteamy (shirtless for much of his screen time…drool…) AND Bradley Cooper…it just doesn’t get better, lol. But it really is a sweet movie and you’ll leave the theatre feeling happy – well worth the price of admission :)

Stephanie February 19, 2010

Oh I do hope you end up going to Fresh! I live (literally) right across the street from one of them :) it’s the first place I ate at when I moved to Toronto this summer, and I’m looking forward to using it to convince the boyfriend that (delicious) meatless burgers DO exist.
mmMMmm!

Ameena February 19, 2010

Love the last leg produce idea. I wonder if they have such a thing here in California? Things seem to fly off the shelves here so I doubt it.

Gorgeous photos as always!

Ally (Exercise and Pies) February 19, 2010

that looks so, so great! Unfortunately I bought 2 packages of ‘last leg’ broccoli and when I opened them at home the bottom layer was full of mold :( I returned them but I also returned to buying fresher produce

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 19, 2010

LOVE that quote!!! And what a good idea about getting veggies on their last leg.. so much cheaper!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 19, 2010

I made a similar “last leg” roasted vegetable dinner a couple weeks ago and my husband was crazy for it! Who knew it could turn out so well?! Roasting makes any veggie taste good, in my opinion. ;)

I recently tried grapefruits (after YEARS of hating them!) and I was surprised how much I like them now, too! I’m also getting brave with adding ginger in my juices. Ginger scares me, but I’m working on getting over it!

Can’t wait to see the “Size Healthy” photos!!

Cole February 19, 2010

It’s going to be painful when the Olympics are over!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen February 19, 2010

love that motto! also, that’s a great idea for the last leg produce…way to go bloggers! hope you have a wonderful weekend and a good (maybe) run! :)

SP February 19, 2010

The roasted veggies look great. Quick question: doesn’t roasting/baking kind of damage the nutrients in them? I always do a quick stir fry that takes me about 10 min maz.

I saw V-day movie on V-day with a bunch of girlfriends! The movie was… good because it was V-day.. it’s a chick flick and a feel good movie.. so something u could watch a few times over ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2010

I’m not really sure about how mch damage is caused from roasting. I think the best way to go is to ue a combination of methods- raw, roasting, stir-fry, etc.

John February 19, 2010

I don’t know why but this is the first year I haven’t been into the Olympics. Don’t know what’s with me!

As for your grocer thinking your weird…it can be fun letting the odd person think your nuts. Wait till he finds out you want the old veggies too :-)

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 19, 2010

I love grapefruits now, too! I learned that if you go to No Frills or Superstore you can get cheap produce (well, reduced price). It’s great! Especially for things like bananas … sure, I’ll buy old bananas for a few cents – I’ll just peel and freeze them and they’re great for my GMs!

Your dinner looks amazing – I’ll have to add sunflower seeds to my roast veggies sometime.

K

PS – The Classic Glo bar was my favourite one!!

Becca Dressler February 19, 2010

Where do you usually get your Chia seeds? Possibly a good deal kind of a place?? :)

Madeleine @ Notes On A Page February 19, 2010

Good tip with the last leg produce!

Just got back from seeing Valentine’s Day — it was super cute! I went with my friend, not my boyfriend though, haha.

jaclyn February 20, 2010

I love the idea of “last leg” produce! I even think that a lot of produce (fruit especially) like pears, etc, taste BETTER when they are almost past fresh. I bet a lot of it would freeze well, too! Great money saving.

Maria February 20, 2010

Just saw Vday tonight. It was super cute, not too hopelessy romantic or far-fetched just enough reality to keep it real and enough men to keep it hot. There were a few parts I wished BF would have been there to see but all in all I am glad I saw it with my girlfriend!!!

Love your last leg idea. Since we own a restaurant, I usually buy my produce in bulk but I think I will check out your idea. Those prices are amazing!!!

BTW. Got. to. try. some. Globars. Like stat!!!

Becky (flybynyght @ wordpress) February 20, 2010

That game? It was a-mazing!!!! Sidney Crosby, I believe you are my hero. I felt bad for Iginla getting nailed in the noggin…btw – next time I go through Milton – I’m soooo stopping in the bakery!!!

Cait February 20, 2010

Every summer olympics my sister and I decided we should be synchronized divers. It hasn’t happened yet, though we’ve been planning our matching bathing suits and swim caps for months haha

Jessica Lee February 20, 2010

What a good deal on all your LAST LEG veggies and fruits! And such a complete dinner!

Rawkin Robin February 20, 2010

Love the Bloggy :) Jw – what happened to the ‘you might also like’ feature? I like reading your blog and then checking out some older ones from there that I missed :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2010

It was slowing down my blog too much so I removed it…for now anyways!

sarah (the SHU box) February 20, 2010

you are awesome for asking them to skip the styrofoam!! (and awesome in general). i have been loving your posts lately!

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) February 20, 2010

V day movie was awesome because of the amazing cast!! Must see for sure.

EaterNotARunner February 20, 2010

You sound just like me! I said to my boyfriend, “maybe I’m really good at rifle shooting and I just don’t know it.” Hahaha

Michelle February 20, 2010

My mom used to make roasted veggies all the time! I really should start. I went to see Valentines Day on V-Day. I saw it with the guy I’m seeing, and he really enjoyed it, as did I. Definitely a must see!

Ellie February 20, 2010

I totally get your Olympic addiction. I’m the same… or maybe worst because on V’day, I lovingly asked my fiance if instead of having a romantic dinner, we could have our dinner in front of the TV. He simply said: I could not love you more! hihihi… I figure skated for 15 years so for me, when I watch it, I get really nervous because I know before then even jump if they will hit it or miss it! All I can say at this point is go Team Canada: hockey is our game! (no offense to anyone else :)

Page 1 of 212»