Our Bedroom: Before and After

I LIVE for home decor before and afters!

One of my all time favourite websites is Young House Love. Just look how cute Sherry and John are!!!

Just 24 hours ago this is what our bedroom looked like…

IMG_0796

1) Sad

2) Very much like ‘a guy’s pad in university’

We have just two pieces of furniture in our bedroom- the side table and the cabinet below. Both pieces are from our university days and we’ve had them about 8 years.

You might remember around Christmas, Eric and I said that our gift to each other was going to be new bedroom furniture. Well, that was before we saw how expensive bedroom sets are. It may be a while until we get new furniture…!

HOWEVER, I really didn’t want to put up with this sad looking room any longer, so the wheels got turning in my head. What could I do to transform the room on a budget?

IMG_0818

ACCESSORIES!!

Last night Eric wasn’t going to be home until around 9:30pm. I thought this was the perfect time to surprise him so I grabbed a girlfriend for consultation and we headed to Ikea after dinner. I knew I had to act fast if I was going to have my transformation complete by 9:30pm!!!

When I got home I had just 2 hours to complete the room! I grabbed this beautiful screwdriver, put my fears aside, and went to town!

IMG_0794

I’m so not handy.

IMG_0827

‘Sidekick Sketchie’ LOVES when we do renos. There are just so many things for him to get into! :mrgreen:

My theme going into this was:

‘GREEN with a romantic touch’

Green is one of Eric’s favourite colours and I think it is fun and unexpected for a bedroom. Here are the items I purchased:

Untitled-1

[I own Photoshop]

Was it a success?

Click below to find out!

I weaved both curtains together along the rod. The sheer white curtain toned down the bright green quite a bit so it wasn’t harsh looking.

IMG_0817

The rods were existing when we bought the house, but they went really well with the leaf theme!

IMG_0813

I am in love with these Talluik table lamps…talk about dreamy! They also come in a ton of colours.

IMG_0839

To make Eric’s table a little more ‘manly’ I added this spotted placemat (99 cents!). Is it manly or what? LOL.

IMG_0831

I also dressed up our dresser with a little wedding section- A standing frame and our wedding album (I love that pic of Eric!)

IMG_0853 IMG_0861

The tables were PERFECT. They have this tiny little shelf made just for books and kleenex! ;)

IMG_0805

(I’m reading In Defense of Food for the second time right now, and I also will be starting Dear John and Time Traveller’s Wife soon (thanks to Krissy!) Such a chic little table. For some reason, I could not get the screws in properly, so I had to leave them out since I was crunched on time. Hopefully I can finish them off this weekend!

IMG_0914

We still need a bed skirt, but Rome wasn’t built in a day!

These items below are from Ikea too, but they were purchased a year or two ago. The brown and green sticks were previously in the eating area, but I figured they could use a new home. This Ikea pink floral canvas also fit really well with the scheme!

IMG_0824

I added Christmas lights for some romance ;)

Again this stuff below is pre-existing. The canvas is from Ikea and I will be hanging it up on the wall to the left of the bed.

What should we put on this shelf?? (It is open on all sides so books won’t really work as we don’t have bookends).

IMG_0911

IMG_0802

My mother in Law is an interior designer and one of her best tips is not to be afraid to mix and match prints. I try to keep that in mind whenever I pick out new things.

VS:

IMG_0796

Tip for the curtains and duvet:

No time to iron them? Just throw them into the dryer for 5 minutes to release the wrinkles! Worked like a charm.

IMG_0820

I am in love with these curtains!!! During the day they cast this beautiful green glow in the room. It totally gives the room a new feel.

IMG_0898

IMG_0808

So what did Eric think?

Well firstly he had no clue I did this so it made it even more fun for me! I was so excited for the big reveal.

When he saw the room, he said it looks amazing! I was so relieved that he liked it (although I’m not sure if he would have told me otherwise!). Home decor is such a personal thing and you never know if the person will like it. He really liked that I included green in the room and he thought it looked fresh and romantic, albeit a tad girly, but he said it was way better than before (whew). He was really excited that we had a nice room, even without any new furniture. It’s all about accessorizing, no?

Do you like your current bedroom? Is it decorated to how you want or is it like our previous bedroom was- like a no frills college bedroom? If it’s decorated, what did you do to it and how would you describe your style?

My style is definitely romantic with a funky flair, however it changes with each room. For our dining room, I want to do something really bold with burnt orange on the walls. I stick to neutrals for main rooms (like our family room and entry way), but I love bold colours in other rooms for some fun.

Ta-ta mes amies! I’m off to make dinner and watch the opening ceremonies (SUCH a tragic event with the luge today). :(

Angela_Signature

1 Janna February 12, 2010

Thanks for the comment! I love those xmas lights wrapped around those branches…

2 Low February 12, 2010

I really need to spruce mine up! I love what you’ve done with it!

3 elliebelle February 12, 2010

Wow! Gorgeous! You did so much just with accessories. Very creative.
My boyfriend and I have a full bedroom set (luckily he works at a store that sells furniture so we got a great discount!)but we haven’t done much else in the room to really decorate it. You have me inspired!

4 Lex @ sweettoothlex February 12, 2010

I
LOVE
IT!

(but I am biased… GREEN is my favorite color also hehe!)

Way to work it on a budget!!!

5 Sonja @ ActiveFoodie February 12, 2010

I love it! It is dreamy without being overly cutesy or too feminine. Great job!

6 Sherry @ Young House Love February 12, 2010

It looks amazing in there! Love the green and the layered curtains and the new duvet and those cute side tables and lamps. Fantastic job! Plus it’s great to hear that the hubby likes it too.

Oh and thanks for the shout out. It would have made our night but your makeover did that instead!

xoxo,
s (& j)

7 Michelle @ Eatingjourney February 12, 2010

it looks great. I love IKEA and it’s amazing how you can turn around a room in two hours with accessories.

8 megan February 12, 2010

I love it! I have absolutely no talent for decoration. for some reason I just can’t tell what will look good together. Thankfully my husband doesn’t care ;)

9 Ashley February 12, 2010

Loooooove this post! I cannot believe you did ALL of that in 2hrs. Totally adorable must husband would love that kidn of surprise too! Our BR is NOT at all how I want it but we don’t own a house yet and since we’ve been married we have both not had jobs at the same time and now we’re both unemployed. I can’t wait to own a house + decorate…and actually use my architectural degree, lol!!!

10 Jessie (Vegan-minded) February 12, 2010

I love Young House Love, I get so many ideas from John and Sherry! You room makeover looks great. It is amazing how much you changed the appearance in only a couple of hours. Love it!

11 Rebeca February 12, 2010

I love it! It’s romantic without being too girly… plus it’s affordable. Can’t get much better :)

12 Fattie Fatterton February 12, 2010

I think you did a fabulous job!!

13 Hallie February 12, 2010

OMG I love this! I HATE our bedroom and my boyfriend says it’s “my job” to decorate that room since he did the rest of the condo. There is nothing on the walls, nothing matches, just random crap thrown around. Now that I see how you did this so quickly and inexpensively, I think you’ve inspired me to give it a shot! I’m excited (like I needed a new project or something to spend money on, haha)

14 Krissy February 12, 2010

OMG I LOVE IT!!! I am stealing you and you are coming to IKEA with me to help me put the finishing touches on my place :) I love love loveee the green drapes – how fitting that they are green too :) hehe
love you sweets!!
xoxo

15 erica February 12, 2010

omg! great job! the room looks great!
ohsheglows & younghouselove are my 2 favorite blogs!!!

the bf and i are starting on renovations to our new condo and i’m overwhelmed w/such a daunting task. i love this post! it’s amazing what accessorizing can do!

16 Katie February 12, 2010

It’s gorgeous! Our bedroom is very boring. Not much decor. We really need some new bedroom furniture (we have random pieces we’ve collected over the years) but like you said…it’s very expensive. Thanks for the ideas. It gives me hope that something can be done to decorate our bedroom.

PS. My cat is just like yours…always looking for new things to get into

17 Jennifer February 12, 2010

It looks great. I am hoping to freshen up Our room before hubby gets home. I wish we had an Ikea here :(
I have 12 weeks to decide on decor…lol.

18 Suzanne February 12, 2010

You are amazing. I can’t believe how fast you put that together. It’s the perfect blend of boy meets girl. Now I’m tempted to makeover my room :) Great post!

19 Hannah February 12, 2010

This looks absolutely stunning Ang!!!

20 Abby February 12, 2010

I LOVE it! It looks amazing! My bedroom is green too! THe walls are a cactus color. It’s bold and I love it. My comforter is brown nd then sheets are cream..plus a have dark red accents. I’m not much of a decorator, but I’m definitely proud of that room!

21 Leah @ L4L February 12, 2010

Our bedroom sucks. It is similar to your before. Mis-match college cheap furniture and hand-me-downs. Wobbly side lamp. Using filing cabinets as night stands. No curtains. It sucks.

22 Kt F @ Through The Finish February 12, 2010

I LOVE what you did for so cheap! It’s crazy how so little does so much to a room. I feel like I put off decorating bc I feel like I need to buy a complete overhaul of stuff to make things cute, but that’s not true!

23 Kelly February 12, 2010

I absolutely love how your “new” bedroom looks! I think you should put pictures in frames on that open shelf you have (with the painting on top). If you got three all the same frames with different pictures in it I think that would look really cool. I think the decor in my bedroom but it’s not quite as awesome as yours looks now.

24 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 12, 2010

That wedding photo of you 2 is ADORBS!!!!

What a transformation!!! Ikea rox…but you definitely took it to a whole new level. AWESOME!

25 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 12, 2010

So lovely! It’s amazing what you can do with just a few personal touches! We’ve been slowly adding more and more to our bedroom since we moved into our new house this summer. I’d say it’s about 75% there!

26 Erin February 12, 2010

LOVE IT!!! IKEA is so great…I have that same bedspread but ours is the brown/orange colors!!!! Such a cute beadspread…good work :-)

27 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 12, 2010

This looks awesome — completely transformed! I can’t wait to move into my new place and decorate. It might take time but I want to create a cozy bedroom atmosphere.

28 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place February 12, 2010

love love love it! I’m also trying to re-design my house right now. Its very much a bachelor pad right now!

29 Sarah February 12, 2010

Love love love!!! I definitely see a trip to Ikea in my future, especially for those tables! Great job on the bedroom transformation!

30 Haleigh February 12, 2010

Your bedroom makeover looks fantastic!! I have the exact same bed cover+pillow cases AND the same place mats. Although my husband is Swedish and insists that everything in our apartment must be from Ikea. I’m not complaining though.. I adore Ikea. Everything is modern and not too mention super cheap!!

31 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 12, 2010

this is gorgeous! i am not a fan of our room right now, but there are plans in the near-ish future to paint it and hopefully find some new bedding. oh, and keeping it clean too :)

32 Casey Leigh February 12, 2010

Talk about an upgrade! Your new room looks fabulous… and you are awesome for doing all that work in no time at all. IKEA rocks!

33 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 12, 2010

LOVE IT! Now I need to redecorate! ;-)

34 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries February 12, 2010

im completely re-doing my room right now, and its so exciting. (and overwhelming!) but i thrive on organization and home projects! i LOVVVVEEEE that end table! i really hope ikea sells them in the u.s.!

35 Kath February 12, 2010

Looks awesome Ange!

36 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 12, 2010

Gorgeous room! I love green and the print is fabulous! I like bold colors and earthy tones. My room is this bluish green with black and white mixed in.. love it!

37 Lin February 12, 2010

WOW!! How gorgeous, and may I say, you are a girl after my own heart. I love room makeovers as well, and did one on our bedroom last April. We have a really old bed, and had the original paint from when we bought our house (I would call it patchy purple), mismatched dresser and side tables, and a carpet similar in color to yours. We got paint from my husband’s brother (1 bucket of dark blue, 1 bucket of eggshell) that he had leftover from a home he had painted, then gradually mixed the colors until we had a robin’s egg blue for the walls, and used the eggshell white on the ceiling. I took down our old broken blinds, went to KMart and bought a beautiful brushed nickel ornate curtain rod, and put on royal blue raw silk-looking panels with sheer white over the top, bought the same raw silk type fabric in large and small tablecloths in a mocha color and draped them over dresser top and side tables. Added two pretty (but inexpensive) lamps for the sidetables, and new bedding (microplush blankets in ivory and dark chocolate colors, with four different throw pillows, and bought 2 new pretty plants. All totaled, I spent $168, and it looked beautiful!! Thanks for the lovely pictures of your room, and I LOVE your blog… always fun and fascinating. I just discovered it about two weeks ago. Looking forward to more!

38 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 12, 2010

Your room looks great! Young House Love is one of my favorite websites, too! I learn so much from them.

39 Leah February 12, 2010

Your room looks awesome!! Gotta love ikea!

My bedroom (ok my whole place) is shameful. I have an unbelievable amount of furniture and it just doesn’t fit, but I can’t part with it. How I fit all my stuff into only a bedroom when I lived at my parents house is beyond me. I am in love with my new bedding though. Its a beige and brown zebra print – best money I ever spent!

40 Run Sarah February 12, 2010

Wow, that looks AWESOME!! I can’t believe the transformation. I have those placemats too, Allen picked them out, LOL :)

41 Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 12, 2010

wow what a stunning transformation!!! I love Ikea! I especially love the mix of curtains :) Come do my room next?!

42 Jil February 12, 2010

It looks beautiful!!!

43 Ameena February 12, 2010

I really love your after picture! I am so afraid of mixing colors and patterns so while I am happy with our bedroom it could definitely use a little oomph. Maybe you can come over and give me some decorating tips. :)

44 kathleen February 12, 2010

love it. i live for interior decorating before and afters too!

45 Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) February 12, 2010

Your room looks amazing! Love the style. :) I’m about to read Style Statement, it’s about finding out three keywords for your style and how it affects everything your life style, career, relationships. It’s supposed to be amazing!

46 Wink February 12, 2010

Wow, you did a great job! Everything looks so fresh and feminine. I have a navy blue and white striped rug from ikea and my night stands are also from there. I guess you could call my style “vintage indie” I’m not really big into bedroom sets. I like my furniture to work together, but not look like it was made to coordinate. Most everything in my house comes from flea markets/thrift stores. As for your empty shelves, maybe a pretty plant? Ferns under bell jars are just so pretty. If you have more of a brown thumb(like me) you could try an aloe Vera. I also think some rattan baskets would look great there.

47 MarathonVal February 12, 2010

You did such an amazing job Angela, I’m really impressed. I especially would not have thought to put the placemat on the table to jazz it up…. so clever!

I also can’t believe you still havent read my favorite book of all time, The Time Traveler’s Wife…. it is so, so, so, so, so, sooooo much better than the movie!!!

48 Rawkin Robin February 13, 2010

Looks great :) How did you do that with the curtains?? I’m a single gal and have been living in my current house for almost 5 yrs (eeks!) and have yet to decorate it as I would like :/ But this is definately inspiring to bite the bullet and git ‘er done :)

49 K February 13, 2010

Excellent makeover! I love that you did it on a budget and with a time crunch! I don’t know if you or Eric are into this kind of thing, but I have been ogling knockoffwood.blogspot.com for a while. She posts plans for making your own furniture that is often knock-offs of stuff from places like Pottery Barn. It looks great and is WAY cheaper. I just wish I had the space to take on some construction projects.
-K

50 Karla February 13, 2010

What a lovely transformation! I can’t wait to have a real permanent home so I can decorate! I’m tired of living a place for a year then moving. It doesn’t motivate me at all to decorate because it doesn’t feel permanent or really like home.
Great job!

51 Ellen February 13, 2010

So funny! I just found that blog a couple of days ago, and I’m obsessed!

52 Katie February 13, 2010

I love it! Will you come remodel my room? :)

53 Carly February 13, 2010

GREAT job Angela! What a difference from before! Our room is definitely like a college dorm room – you’ve got me thinking I need to make a trip to Ikea myself pretty soon! :)

54 jenna February 13, 2010

looks great! don’t forgot to try craigslist for a bedroom set, a new one may be within your reach sooner than later!!

55 Fei Fei February 13, 2010

Hi Angie,

firstly, may I say that your room looks fantastic! You’ve transformed your room into something truly beautiful.

And now on to your question. I am currently a university myself, renting an apartment together with two girlfriends. I was really stressed out last summer when we first signed for the apartment as we’re basically starting at point zero. The apartment was completely unfurnished and all three of us were living in uni residence the previous year (ie. furniture provided). As a uni student on a scholarship and a tight budget, my options were limited. However, I’m also huge on aesthetics and having a room that expresses my personality and provides me with an environment where I can study, rest and play effectively was very important. So, during the summer before I moved in, I stalked the online 2nd hand websites (Craigslist, my university’s wanted/sale listings) like a maniac. I study in a city with a large student population, therefore, there’s a high level of mobility within the city. Apartment leases change hands quickly… and so do the furniture. Typically, sets of beautiful Ikea furniture will be listed for sale that’s only had a 2-3 yrs max in use. I was able to purchase the majority of my bedroom furnishings for just $250 altogether from a graduating university student, already beautifully coordinated in style and colour. It was then a matter of injecting a couple more “me” touches to the space and I was ready to move in. One piece of decor which saved my life was wall decal (did you see the selection they had in Ikea, Angie?). They’re basically pre-cut and drawn patterns/pictures which can be pasted onto walls like stickers. They stick on easily but also peel off like a breeze without damaging the paint. I was able to brighten up an entire length of my bedroom wall with it without the pain and fuss of painting. Personally, I dislike the selection they currently have in Ikea atm (last year though, they had this beautiful pattern of a windswept tree that’s no longer available). I bought mine at an arts and crafts store in Montreal called DeSerres, but I know there’s also lots of options on Etsy.com, where many independent sellers offer fantastic selections. You should check it out!

(I think my answer was a little too long-winded – sorry!)

56 christie, honoring health February 13, 2010

Looks great! You did a really great job!

I love to decorate though my taste is more eclectic with some antiques and vintage items thrown in.

57 Jennie {in Wonderland} February 13, 2010

Wow! That looks fantastic! My favourite part are the curtains – followed closely by the lamps – very romantic and yet still manly!!

58 angela @ a healthy fit February 13, 2010

I love Young House Love. I wish I owned a house to transform!

59 Lizzie February 13, 2010

I love, love, love your ‘new’ bedroom!! It looks amazing!! We have also been debating on getting some new bedroom furniture, but the prices are a little steep, so think we’re going to stick with our ‘college bed’ for now and maybe paint instead. I have the colour picked out . . now I just need the courage!! :)

60 Michal February 13, 2010

I love your new bedroom! Green is my favorite color :)

61 Christena February 13, 2010

Oh, your room looks great!!! The closest Ikea to me is about 3 hours, but I may just have to make the trip. I love, love, love those lamps.

62 Alina February 13, 2010

Love the room! You can still put books on the shelf, just stack them horizontally. You can stack them in kind of a pyramid shape – it looks surprisingly good if you have books with interesting and differently colored jackets.

63 Jen February 13, 2010

What a great transformation! Ikea is great for quick jobs like that…love their stuff. Just a warning about The Time Traveller’s Wife – keep those tissues handy! I read the book a year or so ago and we just watched the movie on Weds evening; BIG mistake – I had the puffiest eyes ever when I went in to work the next morning! It’s a great story, but definitely a tearjerker.

64 Diana February 13, 2010

Love the update! Looks GREAT! Love young house love too! Sherry and John are sooo cute!
Diana

65 Krista February 13, 2010

The room looks GREAT, Ange! I love Ikea for affordable home decor…and their stuff is so neat. My bedromm is half way there. I bought a bedroom set from Ikea almost 2 years ago which I love, but I need to paint this summer and change up the wall decor. My colour theme is chocolate brown and aqua.

66 Jenn @ Livewellfit February 13, 2010

Beautiful transformation….we just moved in to our new home about 7 months ago and I am still dying to remake our bedroom and guest bedroom. I may just have to take myself to Ikea soon enough!

67 Jolene February 13, 2010

I love love love the after pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We gutted and redid our entire house … floors, ceilings, walls, kitchen, bath etc.. and it is so fun to look at the before and after pics … you can’t even tell it is the same place!

68 Melissa S. February 13, 2010

what a great decorating job!! it looks wonderful! i wish i were brave enough to mix patterns and colors like that!

69 Jessie February 13, 2010

How … were you able to do that … in 2 hours?? Nice work!

Our bedroom looks a bit glum. Mostly because of the heavy light-blocking curtains. I love your curtain-layering trick — maybe I’ll try it in another room :)

70 Patrice February 13, 2010

I read this post right before I went to sleep last night and then had a dream that I went to IEKA and completely redecorated my apartment. It was one of those dreams that actually had some real-life merit; the place looked awesome! So thanks for the inspiration! And Sketchie is ADORABLE in that picture.

71 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 13, 2010

Wow, I can’t believe you did that all in 2 hours. It looks amazing – very unique & fun.

72 Lee February 13, 2010

The room looks great! And thank you for posting that younghouselove link. I have spent the past two hours reading it!

73 Laura Georgina February 13, 2010

Awesome job! I can’t believe how much you can do with a few things (and a local IKEA)

74 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 13, 2010

Wow! It looks great!

Our bedroom is green too. :)

75 Becky (flybynyght @ wordpress) February 13, 2010

My Dad used to work at a furniture factory, so I was able to get all of my solid wood furniture as seconds. Like my $2000 cherry armoire I got for $400 and what was wrong wit it? It was too shiny!!!! Oh darn…..

76 Jessica @ WHY DONTCHA RUN February 14, 2010

Wow! Angela, you’re amazing! Our master bedroom has been pushed to the back burner since moving in. I’ve focused on decorating the main rooms that everyone sees. You have inspired me to accessorize. I see a trip to Ikea in my near future. ;) THANKS!

77 Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 14, 2010

I love the new room! Especially the bedding and pillows. Oh, and the Christmas lights – that’s such a neat idea!

When we first moved into our house our master bedroom had floral wallpaper … like, HUGE pink flowers. LOL! It was so ugly that we stripped the paper that night. I’ve since repainted in a brown theme, but I think one day I want to brighten it up – something pretty, you know?

A lot of our furniture is hand me down stuff, so it’s always nice when we get a new piece in the house. And I love accessories – I would go to IKEA more often, if my husband actually enjoyed going there (and if I actually had money!). :-)

K

78 Kristin February 15, 2010

My husband and I have a total college bedroom — my nightstand is still a milk crate, for cryin’ out loud — I’m 30 years old!!!! =D
We have been meaning to buy new bedroom furniture, but haven’t found a set we agree on, sooo…. it’s still milk crate city for us.

79 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 16, 2010

Looks gorgeous! :) I am in need of some major accessorizing!

80 Amy (REVAMP_I) February 19, 2010

Wow – i love what you did with your room, don’t you just love IKEA! You have given me some ideas for our spare room that i would like to spruce up, especially the 2 sets of curtains x

81 Kelly February 20, 2010

This is a very late comment but I think the room looks fabulous!! Definitely an upgrade from before and it looks professional. You could use that shelf to put odds and ends from around the room? Or place books on their side stacked up a few high, with candles, jars filled with anything..I think any kind of decorative item would look good!