My Winter/Spring Training Plan

Helllloooooooooooooooooooo! Happy Groundhog Day!

Before we get into this, I wanted to mention two things:

1) WMM2 recap is now up on the abs page! Congrats to everyone who participated. :)

2) I had no idea the nom, nom, nom was from the Cookie Monster!!! You learn something new everyday…

IMG 0270 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

Now this juice is PINK!

IMG 0272 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

The produce:

IMG 0264 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

Love Juice

• 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 beet
  • piece ginger
  • 1 cuke
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1 grapefruit

IMG 0265 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

IMG 0266 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training PlanIMG 0275 thumb   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

It was TART!

I do not recommend this recipe if you don’t like tart/sour things. I have developed a taste for it over the past year and I actually enjoyed this one a lot. It is funny because I never used to like grapefruit, and ever since I started juicing with them, I love them and I often find myself peeling a segment and eating it whole. So not like me!

If there is one thing I love about juicing it is that I can pack in a ton of vegetables that I normally would not eat. More variety, more nutrients.

The only question I have now is what to do with the pulp…the grapefruit makes it tricky. I think more muffins might be in store…

My Winter/Spring Training Program

Doesn’t February just sound so much better than January?! I think so. :) There is something about February that is so exciting to me. Valentine’s Day is one of my favourite holidays. I start feeling that Spring is right around the corner in February! The days are getting LONGER!

I have my third half marathon coming up on May 30th. I am running the Toronto Women’s Half Marathon.

Normally, I am not a training plan kind of girl. I trained for my first two half marathons without any plan at all. I ran just 2-3 days a week, making sure to always have 1 long run a week. I prefer to run no more than 3 days a week because I am injury-prone. For recaps of all my races see here.

For me, the key to running less is to cross train more. Most training programs require you to run 5 days a week and that is not something that works for me. I prefer to run less and to cross train at high intensities, this keeps my endurance up and impact on my joints low.

I think the biggest mistake that many people make is feeling like their training plans cannot be changed. I found this training plan and modified it, like I was cooking a new recipe. The plans are by no means a one size fits all.

Because I loved Caitlin’s Google Spreadsheet Training Plan so much, I decided to use the same type of format to create my own. The best part about using the Google docs is that I can make it viewable to the public. I will be updating it each day to reflect the workout that I actually did and I have the link on my run page.

Note: Pink boxes means the day is over and reflects the workout that I did. As you can see for Monday, I did a 3 mile hill run and a Booty Booster workout.

A few notes:

• I prefer to have my main rest day on Sunday instead of Monday so I switched that up
  • I never run two days in a row, back to back. This was how I avoided injury for my races last year.
  • I am all about giving my body the proper recovery it needs!
  • I hope to be even stronger for my next race because I will be strength training on a regular basis, which is something I did not do last year during training.
  • We will be vacationing in Florida at the end of March. I plan on sticking to my workout schedule whenever possible and I fully plan on taking advantage of the warmer weather to run outdoors! The great thing about my Booty Fitness DVD is that it requires no equipment and I can bring it with me on my trip.
  • CORE WORK: The Booty Camp Fitness sessions have core work in them, and I will also be doing the full 20 min Ab-solute session from the DVD once per week. I am not going to lose all of this progress I have made! Plus, strong abs help running. :mrgreen:

My Spring Training Plan can be viewed here in full.

What my training plan includes:

• Yoga: 1x per week
  • Strength or Cross training: 3x per week
  • Running: 3 x per week
  • Rest/stretching days: 1-2x per week

What will I be using?

Why is my plan 17 weeks long?

• Most training plans are 12 weeks long. I want to make sure that I build up my running base very slowly because I took a 2.5 month break from running and don’t want to jump back into it too fast. Therefore, I am starting very early and I am starting my training very slow. I think my body will respond much better this way. Basically for the next 5 weeks, I am in, ‘Base training mode’. I am just building up my running base again and not pushing myself too hard. Week 6, is when my official 12-week plan would begin, so that is when my long runs and weekly mileage will increase each week.

Why is my weekly mileage so low compared to most plans?

• Yes, it is low…very low compared to every plan that I looked at. Most plans want you running 20-30 miles a week, and that is not something that I am going to do. I prefer quality over quantity. This may not work for everyone, but it is how I prefer to train in a way that is safe for me. You have to do what works for you! :)

This plan is by no means set in stone, it is basically a vision that I have for the next few months. It could change, I could toss it out the window, quit running & take up knitting, or stick with it…it all depends on how my body responds to the training. Basically, if it turns out that this plan is not for me, that is fine by me. I think being flexible really helps keep the exercise fun. We shall see how the next few months go.

Do you have any goals for the next few months…or for 2010? What are they?

Angela Signature thumb3   My Winter/Spring Training Plan

Jil February 2, 2010

Mmm that juice sounds awesome (and looks beauuutiful). I have just recently discovered my love for grapefruit as well. I used to really dislike the tart/bitterness.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 2, 2010

Oooh so many things! I didn’t know nom, nom, nom came from the Cookie Monster either! Learn something new everyday. ;) And I LOVE grapefruits, and the juice color is so gorgeous!!

I think it is great that your training is early and slow. I think you will do great and we know our body’s best!!

Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life February 2, 2010

Good plan Ang!! Can not wait to read all about it!

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 2, 2010

Lady that juice looks ridiculous!!! I might have to find a way for a juicer to come into my life. :) Awesome training plan! I am developing my own as well. The wedding is in 5 months + 8 days! Eek!

Sarah February 2, 2010

Great training plan Angela! I’m running that race as well, and my training is going verrrrrry slowly. I have a question though: When you first started running, or after your injury last year, did you experience any mental/psychological snags while training? I feel like I’m hitting a wall with my running right now, like I’m waiting for a switch to flip, to make me into a “real runner.” Did that ever happen to you?

Lizzie February 2, 2010

Sorry to jump in before Angela does, but I am in that same situation right now. I did something weird to my ankle 6 weeks before what was supposed to be my first 1/2. I ended up pulling out of it simply because I am in this for the long haul and figured that running injured probably wasn’t the best thing to do :) after 2 months off I am back training for a 1/2 in April and any slight hint of anything off in my ankle or knee and I am immediately (internally) freaking out. There’s definitely a mental side to overcoming an injury and having the confidence to be out there again.

half February 15, 2010

great training keep up the good work

Astrid February 2, 2010

Hi! I finished the WMM2 challenge, too! I had similar results to you. I didn’t lose much in inches (not much to lose), but I gained some definition and definately feel stronger! I posted a picture on my blog. Check it out if you’d like.
That juice is so pretty, by the way! I wish I could have a sip!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries February 2, 2010

I had NO idea nomnomnom originated from the cookie monster! It sounds like you’ve catered your training plan to your body’s needs–and that’s the most important thing. Anytime I’ve injured myself running, it’s been because I didn’t listen to my body/ran according to plans or how other people ran.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 2, 2010

I like your training plan, I’m injury prone too. I’m thinking of signing up for my first race soon so maybe I’ll make a spreadsheet like that too.

Natasha February 2, 2010

Wow! Great plan! I’d never really thought about having a training plan. I just workout, and push myself a bit harder sometimes. I’m hoping to run in the Paris to Versailles in September, so your plan really has me thinking.

Danielle (Coffee Run) February 2, 2010

Your plan looks great! Props for doing what you know works for YOU

I had no idea “Nomnom” was from the cookie monster either :)

Teri February 2, 2010

Good work on your WMMII results! I’m in the middle of a push-up challenge (which I’m chronicling on my blog), but when I’m done with that, I’m going to follow your WMM plan next! So, that’s my next goal. :)

And I’m the same way; I can never run as much as most plans tell me to when training for a race because I always get injured, no matter how much I stretch! We learn what works best for us and we just have to go with it! :)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 2, 2010

I am running a marathon in June. I need to sit down and come up with a training plan as well done as this! Using Google docs is a really good idea, too.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) February 2, 2010

Sounds like a good plan! I normally don’t like making plans either, but having some structure for a big race like that is a good idea.

Love your pink monster today – looks delicious!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner February 2, 2010

Good for you for not conforming to the traditional training plans you see online! I am getting ready to train for my second half, I found a plan online but DEFINITELY modified it, you have to make it work for YOU!

Nancy February 2, 2010

You’re not too far from me then, if you plan on running the Toronto marathon. I had no idea! I’m actually an hour west of you located in Waterloo! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite February 2, 2010

Love your training plan!!

My goal is to make it to March! I’m not a fan of winter at all. Actually, my goal should be to stay positive during winter :)

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 2, 2010

Ooh, that’s a pretty juice to wake up to!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 2, 2010

I’m 100% with you on the quality over quantity– I think that’s something you only realllly take to heart once you’ve been injured.

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 2, 2010

Good job putting together such a detailed plan. I don’t really have any training goals, but I do change up my weight lifting rotations every 6 to 8 weeks. Almost finished with an 8-week plan, so time to start looking for the next rotation.

Nicole, RD February 2, 2010

This training plan makes me feel better about my goals. I feel guilty about not running back-to-back days when I have the time but with recent knee pain, it’s just not worth it. You’re right about that!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 2, 2010

my goal by the end of this month is to be able to buy a smaller size in jeans…almost there! i also want my family to be surprised with how much weight I’ve lost in the past 2 months :)

Ameena February 2, 2010

What pretty looking juice! I love grapefruits!

I want to get better at yoga this year. Definitely trying to focus on that instead of doing so much cardio.

Lizzie February 2, 2010

Hi Angela:

I just saw this on CNN.com – might not want to run this trail while you’re on your FL trip! :)

I am also training for a women’s 1/2 (my first 1/2!) and also coming off an injury from the end of last year. Because I took a break from running, I upped my cross training too and have been excited about the benefits for my running. I just did a simple 3 miles on the t-mill yesterday (like you I can’t wait for warmer weather to get outside again!) and it was like I had never taken a break at all. I wish I liked yoga more, but it’s just not my thing. I like to bike during the summer as there are some nice paths near our neighbourhood and bike lanes in the city.

ashley (sweet & natural) February 2, 2010

I love February too! It’s a mark on the way to warmer spring temperatures, it’s shorter than other months, so it’s unique, there’s Valentine’s Day, which is fun, and President’s Day, which I get a day off work for.

Though, not gonna lie, I probably like February mostly b/c it’s my birthday month – Feb. 4th is the big day! :-)

Cole February 2, 2010

That juice is such a beautiful pink color!

My goal is also a half marathon; it’s not my first but I’m aiming for a better time.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 2, 2010

The (blog) world is starting to make sense. I didn’t know nom, nom, nom came from Cookie Monster!

Sara February 2, 2010

Feb is my favorite month too..Feb 10th is my wedding anniversary :)

I am doing my 1st half marathon on May 1st (kinda nervous). I started training (slowly) 3 weeks ago. I like your approach to training. I may use your schedule or make my own :)

Kelly February 2, 2010

Your plan looks great! I love your theories on training, I think you are right that it is so much smarter to train less, and on non-consectutive days when it comes to running :)

Sarah @ Fitography February 2, 2010

I’m training for my second marathon at the end of May. I too am running less than most training plans suggest and incorporating more cross-training (swimming, weights, and yoga). Good luck!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 2, 2010

I would really like to do a half marathon here in Toronto! And I plan on doing a Yogathon on May 6th for charity if I get enough donations!

xo
K

Jessica February 2, 2010

Thanks for the Yoga for runners link! I definitely need that. I’m trying for a 10k.

Gabriela February 2, 2010

This plan comes at the perfect time for me! I just started training for my first half, and with an old knee injury, I was worried about running too much and re-hurting it. I might be subbing your plan for the one I chose!

Little Aspects February 2, 2010

We’re still in the heat of summer, my least favourite time for trainins. I say bring on Autumn! I actually like training in winter time here (Sydney) because our winters are so mild (ie no snow) and the cooler air is exhilarating. I find I actually run faster. At the moment it’s way too humid and I feel like I’m running with a blanket over my head!

My goal this year is to run another half marathon – my last one was nearly 5 years ago, when I ran my PB (1:40) and straight after I broke my tailbone and had a few months off. I never really got back into running distances longer than about 7-8k, so I’d like to get another good half on the board. The race is in September so I have plenty of time to build up my mileage. I’ll be happy with a time under 1:50 I think.

My goal for the following year (2011) is this – www2.oxfam.org.au/trailwalker/sydney :-)

Katie February 2, 2010

I think your juice sounds like it would make an awesome soup too!
Smart to start slow. I can’t run two days in a row either – an old knee injury just won’t allow it. But rest is just as good.

Sara February 2, 2010

I just signed up today for my first half marathon in Charlotte, NC on March 6th!! I’m so excited! My friend and I have been running just under a year and we’re up to 10.5 miles already so we are running it with our husbands!! I cannot wait! I love running and really owe my health to it! Since I started running I am now the smallest I have ever been and feel my best! I also owe a lot to your blog!! I’ve learned lots from it!!

Susan February 2, 2010

Angela, I loooove your training approach. I too can’t run more than 3 days a week or I get injured. It’s fact. I also notice I make the most running gains when it’s paired with intense cross-training. Can’t wait to see how this plan works out for you, cause I may steal parts of it when I make up my half-marathon plan this spring :)

thedelishdish February 2, 2010

im running (my first!) half marathon in april and really like your traning plan! im also trying to mix it up a bit to prevent injury and think thats also been helping me not get too bored. ill def be following your plan along and will be interested to hear more of your thoughts on it

Amy Ramos February 2, 2010

I am training for a 9 miler in April. I ran 6 miles on Sunday and I feel I need to start slow. I am suffering from some injuries and it is has set me back. I feel that starting slow and mixing it up is key when training. I could easily run 6 days a week but then I would get bored by the third day!

On a side note-I got my bars today and I devoured the Smoores bar. DELISH! My husband and I will be fighting over these for sure!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 2, 2010

Thats a great looking training plan!!!!! Good luck :)
oooh and I love that LOVE juice :)

Caroline February 2, 2010

I’m training to run my a half-marathon on May 30th too (this is my first)! I’m actually in the midst of forming a training plan right now so this is a definite help! Thanks! I’m like you- very injury prone- so it’s good to know that you were able to complete a half-marathon running only a couple times a week. Quality over quantity- I like that : )

Page 1 of 212»