How Not To Multitask Day 1 Recap

G’day mates!

So many fun things to talk about today…

ONE: Sketchie is Back and has been Whittling His Middle!

This is the longest we have ever been without our ‘child’. :D The in-laws have been cat sitting him since our trip to New Brunswick. Sketchie has been having a ball with the other cats- and lost some weight in the process! Our jaws dropped when I saw him!!

Dec 2009:                                                        Jan 10, 2009:

IMG_7805 IMG_9163

You can’t really tell from these pics, but trust me he is merely a ghost of his former self!

TWO: Bed Warmers Rule

It was so hard to get out of bed today! My mother in law has a bed warmer (electric blanket) on the guest bed and it is the most amazing thing in the world.

I opted to blog in bed this morning with some Sencha. ;)

IMG_9178

Sketchie LOVED the bed warmer! He slept at our feet all night. :)

IMG_9175

THREE: Christmas take 3

The in-laws left all of their Christmas decorations up for us! It was so fun to experience Christmas in January.

IMG_9128

My MIL is an Interior Designer and her Christmas decorating could be in Martha’s magazine! She has such a talent. I’m in awe.

IMG_9125

Eric got TOOLS! Don’t ask me what they were- strange things!

IMG_9133

I got some fun kitchen things- new tea (love Mighty Leaf!), a spoon holder…

IMG_9134

and a juicer!

IMG_9145

I was so surprised and was certainly not expecting a juicer. :) I can’t wait to try it out. I hope it’s not as scary as I am imagining!?

~~~~

How NOT To Multitask: Day 1 Recap

My biggest hurdle was that my job requires tons of multitasking, as do most jobs! So I never really got a sense that I was tackling one job at a time. Because I need to be efficient, I am constantly multitasking in a huge way when I am doing baking and processing orders. I try to use every second efficiently. If I didn’t multitask the amount that I accomplished each day would be very low and profits would be low. In this respect, multitasking is definitely a great thing for my business!

With that being said, I found planning my day out in blocks to be very productive. I loved having my schedule right in front of me. This did allow for me to stay on task more and to focus on what I was supposed to be accomplishing for the block.

I was also much better at not mindlessly going to the computer. It took a lot of restraint though and a few times I caught myself going on Gmail or Twitter. I had a relapse at 2pm! I decided to use my Bluetooth Headset and bake/package while I was doing my phone interview. It actually worked out really well, so I don’t think it was a big deal… ;)

Overall I had a very productive day on Friday. I felt like I accomplished more and with less stress. I am going to continue to plan out my days in advance, complete my most important goals first thing in the morning, stick to early morning workouts, and keep distractions to a minimum.

I am starting a really exciting SLEEP challenge tomorrow. Can’t wait to tell you about it!!

~~~~

Congrats to the wonderful women who ran the Disney half and full marathon this weekend! You are all amazing!!!!!

We’re going to ask Eric’s parents if they want to go on a walk with us. It’s very chilly (-11C), so we need to bundle up in a major way. It’s so beautiful outside though- tons of sun and snow, so we will be bringing the SLR and taking pictures.

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Meaghan January 24, 2010

I got that same juicer for christmas. Its great! You will really like it.

Brandi January 16, 2010

That is the most unique cat I have EVER seen in my life. He could be a cat model…what is he?! I cannot get over his markings. He is gorgeous!

Jenny January 12, 2010

That’s so cute that the Christmas decorations were still up! So fun :)

Good to know that planning your days in blocks is working well for you, I think I will definitely try that when I start back with school and (hopefully) get a job in a few weeks.

Eliana >^..^ January 11, 2010

OMG…I am so excited for you, I got that SAME juicer from Marc as a Christmas present, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven been juicing carrots, apples, starfruit, cucumbers etc. I am SO in love with it. Can’t wait to see what magic recipes you come up with and I can follow. ;o)

bobbi January 11, 2010

Oh and I too have that juicer and havent touched since I got it cant wait to see how you use it!

bobbi January 11, 2010

Hey lovely! I am a huge multi tasker and an early riser. Yes you will get so much more done in the morning!!! I love all your tid bits on organization I get so giddy when I read them :)

AGS January 11, 2010

I think the biggest problem with multitasking is that you often fail to prioritize. Without priorities, you’ll end up kicking up a lot of dust, but not really accomplishing anything. Going for the “big stuff” keeps you accountable to your top priorities. The struggle, however, is to keep on top of small things that *do* need to get done, even when they aren’t urgent/important.

I think this balance is what keeps you on your toes. Of course, it can also cause stress. I find that I do best when the balance swings toward focusing on the most important/biggest tasks. This brings the greatest sense of accomplishment.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 11, 2010

Wow! Those before and after pics of Sketchie are tremendous. Keep up the good work, Sketch ;)
There are certainly pros and cons with multitasking. Helps things get done, but definitely ups the stress level.
Can’t wait to hear about the sleep challenge!

Asta Sigrun January 11, 2010

Hey Angela- thanks for putting up the information on how to use Calendar on Google- just totally saved me. Writing my dissertation and its a nightmare and needed something concrete:)
All the best from Iceland

Miz January 11, 2010

You are way ahead of me in the lifeWISDOMgame.
It took me having a child and watching her at play to realize how little I actually achieve when I multitask and realize how much MORE I ACHIEVE when I simply Be Present.

I dont “get” the whole mamathing about multitasking all day long.

but that’s me.

Im a misfit :)

Aoife January 11, 2010

You’ll love the juicer! I have a slightly different version and it’s fab. The worst part is cleaning it after ;) Love throwing in celery, carrot, apples and ginger and then adding some chia seeds at the end. Delicious!

LucindA January 11, 2010

G’day!

I think I have that exact same juicer! I should use it, I only got it a couple of weeks ago, but like you I’m kind of scared of it!

nic - the auspicious squirrel January 11, 2010

I was considering buying that exact juicer, can’t wait to hear what you think of it. :)

Shannon January 11, 2010

I also have that juicer and it is awesome! I drink green juice every morning. . . better than coffee for a pick me up.

I love the juice recipes in Natalia Rose’s books (Raw Food Detox). I’m probably only 80% raw most of the time, but the juice is one thing I stick with all the time.

Heidi January 11, 2010

Oooh neat. The Breville is a Beast of a juicer! It packs major power. I’m sure you’ll have fun experimenting with that guy! Mmmm, do I hear some fun new Green Monster recipes!!!??

Jolene January 11, 2010

I just bought a juicer today from Costco, and have NO idea how to use it and what kind of juice to make etc..

If you come up with any good concoctions, I’d love to hear about them!

Ashley January 11, 2010

I have the Breville. It’s amazing, but loud!

Chelsea January 11, 2010

Even better than an electric blanket? A mattress warmer-so amazing!

I too, got a Breville for Christmas and I LOVE it!!! Have fun.

kim January 11, 2010

you are gonna love the juicer especially when you read up on all the amazing health benefits of fresh juice. i got started juicing after reading your interview with kris carr then checking out her website. you will no doubt love you some green juices! : )

Nicole, MS, RD, LD January 10, 2010

Bed warmer and juicer…score! You’ll want to get out of bed to make juice…it works, the 2 balance one another!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 10, 2010

Ohh so excited for the sleep challenge! Planning the day’s tasks in blocks is a great idea. When I’m feeling overwhelmed in the future I’ll definitely apply that principle!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 10, 2010

That bedwarmer sounds amazing :-) I think it would make it hard for me to get out of bed too!

Good Taste. Healthy Me January 10, 2010

We had our last Christmas on Saturday too! It was quite fun having another Christmas in January. I’m kinda sad the season is over! It was so much fun this year (but isn’t it always?)!

Sara January 10, 2010

Aww your kitty is adorable! I have two myself and they are my babies :) I love you blog!!!!

TheRawRealist January 10, 2010

Oh I have that juicer and love it! Cant wait to see some creations from it :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 10, 2010

Glad to hear that the multi-tasking is working out…I too love to have a schedule :)
ooooh Sketchie is so adorable – and photogenic. My two kitties look cute in person – but always seem to look a little strange in photos!