How Not To Multitask Day 1 Recap

G’day mates!

So many fun things to talk about today…

ONE: Sketchie is Back and has been Whittling His Middle!

This is the longest we have ever been without our ‘child’. :D The in-laws have been cat sitting him since our trip to New Brunswick. Sketchie has been having a ball with the other cats- and lost some weight in the process! Our jaws dropped when I saw him!!

Dec 2009:                                                        Jan 10, 2009:

IMG_7805 IMG_9163

You can’t really tell from these pics, but trust me he is merely a ghost of his former self!

TWO: Bed Warmers Rule

It was so hard to get out of bed today! My mother in law has a bed warmer (electric blanket) on the guest bed and it is the most amazing thing in the world.

I opted to blog in bed this morning with some Sencha. ;)

IMG_9178

Sketchie LOVED the bed warmer! He slept at our feet all night. :)

IMG_9175

THREE: Christmas take 3

The in-laws left all of their Christmas decorations up for us! It was so fun to experience Christmas in January.

IMG_9128

My MIL is an Interior Designer and her Christmas decorating could be in Martha’s magazine! She has such a talent. I’m in awe.

IMG_9125

Eric got TOOLS! Don’t ask me what they were- strange things!

IMG_9133

I got some fun kitchen things- new tea (love Mighty Leaf!), a spoon holder…

IMG_9134

and a juicer!

IMG_9145

I was so surprised and was certainly not expecting a juicer. :) I can’t wait to try it out. I hope it’s not as scary as I am imagining!?

~~~~

How NOT To Multitask: Day 1 Recap

My biggest hurdle was that my job requires tons of multitasking, as do most jobs! So I never really got a sense that I was tackling one job at a time. Because I need to be efficient, I am constantly multitasking in a huge way when I am doing baking and processing orders. I try to use every second efficiently. If I didn’t multitask the amount that I accomplished each day would be very low and profits would be low. In this respect, multitasking is definitely a great thing for my business!

With that being said, I found planning my day out in blocks to be very productive. I loved having my schedule right in front of me. This did allow for me to stay on task more and to focus on what I was supposed to be accomplishing for the block.

I was also much better at not mindlessly going to the computer. It took a lot of restraint though and a few times I caught myself going on Gmail or Twitter. I had a relapse at 2pm! I decided to use my Bluetooth Headset and bake/package while I was doing my phone interview. It actually worked out really well, so I don’t think it was a big deal… ;)

Overall I had a very productive day on Friday. I felt like I accomplished more and with less stress. I am going to continue to plan out my days in advance, complete my most important goals first thing in the morning, stick to early morning workouts, and keep distractions to a minimum.

I am starting a really exciting SLEEP challenge tomorrow. Can’t wait to tell you about it!!

~~~~

Congrats to the wonderful women who ran the Disney half and full marathon this weekend! You are all amazing!!!!!

We’re going to ask Eric’s parents if they want to go on a walk with us. It’s very chilly (-11C), so we need to bundle up in a major way. It’s so beautiful outside though- tons of sun and snow, so we will be bringing the SLR and taking pictures.

Angela_Signature

1 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) January 10, 2010

A bed warmer sounds amazing, is that like an electric blanket? I love all the Christmas decorations and that you still get to celebrate in January!
Multitasking is one of my main faults, I usually am doing it constantly and it’s especially bad when I’m on the computer and have the TV on in the background. Definitely need to work on that!

2 Joy (A Little Bit Fit) January 10, 2010

I have a multitasking addiction, even though I KNOW that I get more done when I concentrate on one thing at a time, it is hard to stop! Congrats on making single-tasking a priority!

3 Amber January 10, 2010

I have that same juicer and it is very easy to use.

4 Nicci@NiftyEats January 10, 2010

Love the Juicer, I received a Jack Lalanne and I’m loving it!!

5 Radha January 10, 2010

What a charming day! Lovely gifts! Please do twitter us during the day! Love you!
Happy Sunday~ Radha

6 alison January 10, 2010

great job chatting on your phone while baking! that’s an example of good multitasking, i think. your kitty is so pretty–but he looks great with or without his little diet, haha.

7 Anna January 10, 2010

Your Cat is Gorgeous! And I am jealous of the electric heater!

8 Jil January 10, 2010

Aww, Sketchie missed youuu! :) What nice gifts! Jealous of your juicer! :)

9 Bridget January 10, 2010

Nice to see sketchie back. Looking good sketchie ;) lol.

I am terrible at multitasking, but it is hard to avoid doing two or more things at once when you are busy

10 Jocelyn January 10, 2010

Hey girl! that is sooo exciting that you got a juicer ;)
Have a wonderful walk!

11 Run Sarah January 10, 2010

My pomeranian gained when he got ‘baby-sat’ since Allen’s grandma fed him too, much, LOL! The Christmas decorations are beautiful, how fun in Jan!

12 Danielle (Coffee Run) January 10, 2010

Yay for the juicer :)
I’m a type A personality so I love schedules and structure. Glad it’s working for you!

13 Mara @ What's for Dinner? January 10, 2010

OOOH i love electric blankets!!!

14 Kristen @ Change of Pace January 10, 2010

I keep telling myself I want an electric blanket everytime I get into bed at night. I really have got to get one!

15 Mandy January 10, 2010

Planning a day out in blocks seems like the best way to do it. I always find if there’s a lot to do i end up procrastinating more because i get overwhelmed by everything.

16 Samantha January 10, 2010

Lovely pics! I love the decorations! Nice gifts. I wish I had a bed warmer. Scheduling the days ahead sounds like a good idea. I have trouble getting anything done, because I get too distracted and just waste away the day. I will give scheduling a try. I think it’s great that you still get to celebrate Christmas in January.

17 Rachel January 10, 2010

You’re so right about her decorating — beautiful! I plan my day out in blocks, too, but I’m not always successful at sticking to it. It does, however, help me recognize how much I have to do that day regardless of if I follow the plan I put down.

18 EaterNotARunner January 10, 2010

So exciting about the juicer! I bet you will love it :-)

19 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 10, 2010

Looks like such a cozy house!!! Nothing better than blogging from bed with a mug of hot tea :-)

Can’t wait to see you put that juicer to work!

20 Steph January 10, 2010

You will LOVE your juicer! I got a Breville last week (the compact juice fountain) and I am really enjoying it. I love that it gives me an easy but tasty way to sneak in an extra serving or two of veggies every day. I recommend you get The Juicing Bible by Pat Crocker. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/The-Juicing-Bible-Pat-Crocker/9780778801818-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+%2527juicing%2527
It’s got like 350 recipes and tons of great info about juicing to help treat different conditions.

Happy juicing!!

21 Julie @savvyeats January 10, 2010

I totally need to try blocking out my time like that. I have a lot to juggle, and it would help me focus!

22 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 10, 2010

accomplishing more and stressing less sounds right up my ally . . . I’m not sure I could be as good at restraining from the computer as you!

23 amanda@thegrainsofparadise January 10, 2010

I got a Breville Juicer for xmas too! I love it! Love love your kitty pics….I’m totally obsessed with him hahaa! Aloha:-)

24 MarathonVal January 10, 2010

I think that’s the same juicer I have – I know you are going to love it!!!!

25 Christy January 10, 2010

I 2nd your bed warmer comment… I’m sitting under mine right now!! :D

26 Kristin (whimsyville) January 10, 2010

a) I am in love with my electric blanket. Unfortunately, so are my cats. We fight for bed supremacy most nights.

b) I am a chronic multitasker, and it is unfortunately beginning to show in the quality of my work. The zen habits article you linked in your multitasking page was fantastic… I’m going to put some of those recommendations into practise next week.

27 Carolyn January 10, 2010

Can’t wait to see what you do with the juicer! :)

28 One Healthy Apple January 10, 2010

I loved the pictures of Sketchie- so cute!

I am awful at multi-tasking because I think it never gets anything done well. I look forward to all your tips!

29 Carbzilla January 10, 2010

I’m madly in love with my electric blanket! Then all the pets swarm around me and I’m tooooo hot!

I have the same juicer! It’s so easy – totally not scary. Very easy to clean. Just remember when you take the receptacle with juice in it away to put a little bowl under the spout as it may drip. Also, carrot juice stains plastic like crazy so I have to keep my carrot juice in glass containers.

Have a great time with your new toy! I’m off to juice carrots right now!

30 Jenna January 10, 2010

I think I need a bed warmer. It has been FREEZING here in MN!

Stay warm out there and enjoy the beautiful scenery. :)

31 intheskinny January 10, 2010

I love your cat. It makes me want one and I’m so not a cat person.

Your inlaws’ house looks amazing! Can she come decorate mine??

My husband gave me the best piece of advice when we got married. I think most women multi-task. But when I would do the laundry, vaccum, mop, dust, pick up clutter, etc. I would leave the house a disater. He told me to focus on one thing, like the laundry, and get it all done before starting something else. I ended up getting more things done. My mom tried it too and was amazed that she ended up getting more things done.

32 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place January 10, 2010

your cat is the cutest little guy! I’m not really a cat person and I still want to squeeze him! :)

33 Terri January 10, 2010

hey did you know oh she glows has a link off the msn.ca website for the “6 smoothie add-ins” (on the spinach one)?…right on!

34 Chantal January 10, 2010

Of all the things I have to say about your post, Sketchie is absolutely one of the most beautiful cats I’ve ever seen!

35 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 10, 2010

Their decorating is gorgeous! I love it.

36 Ellen January 10, 2010

I’m pretty new to your blog—what kind of cat is that? Her coat is amazing! It looks almost leopard or tiger-like. Beautiful.

Hmm! Mighty Tea Leaf is so good!

37 Ellen January 10, 2010

By the way, you will be so glad you got a juicer! Blending a smoothie has NOTHING on making a fresh juice. Plus, it’s more beneficial nutritionally, as your body absorbs more of the nutrients and more quickly….check out the manual, you can probably do more than juice.

We use an Omega 8003, and it also grinds coffee beans, makes sorbet, you name it. Juicers are awesome!

38 Jessica January 10, 2010

I had no idea how much your cat looked like a leopard!

39 Little Aspects January 10, 2010

We have a similar Breville juicer too :-) The best pick-me-up in the world is fresh ginger, carrot, apple and beetroot juice – especially if you put lots of ginger in for that “zing”! Anyway, you’ll love it! :-)

40 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 10, 2010

wow, what a fabulous Christmas set-up! can’t wait to see the concoctions you come up with for the juicer…great gift :)

41 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 10, 2010

Glad to hear that the multi-tasking is working out…I too love to have a schedule :)
ooooh Sketchie is so adorable – and photogenic. My two kitties look cute in person – but always seem to look a little strange in photos!

42 TheRawRealist January 10, 2010

Oh I have that juicer and love it! Cant wait to see some creations from it :)

43 Sara January 10, 2010

Aww your kitty is adorable! I have two myself and they are my babies :) I love you blog!!!!

44 Good Taste. Healthy Me January 10, 2010

We had our last Christmas on Saturday too! It was quite fun having another Christmas in January. I’m kinda sad the season is over! It was so much fun this year (but isn’t it always?)!

45 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 10, 2010

That bedwarmer sounds amazing :-) I think it would make it hard for me to get out of bed too!

46 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 10, 2010

Ohh so excited for the sleep challenge! Planning the day’s tasks in blocks is a great idea. When I’m feeling overwhelmed in the future I’ll definitely apply that principle!

47 Nicole, MS, RD, LD January 10, 2010

Bed warmer and juicer…score! You’ll want to get out of bed to make juice…it works, the 2 balance one another!

48 kim January 11, 2010

you are gonna love the juicer especially when you read up on all the amazing health benefits of fresh juice. i got started juicing after reading your interview with kris carr then checking out her website. you will no doubt love you some green juices! : )

49 Chelsea January 11, 2010

Even better than an electric blanket? A mattress warmer-so amazing!

I too, got a Breville for Christmas and I LOVE it!!! Have fun.

50 Ashley January 11, 2010

I have the Breville. It’s amazing, but loud!

51 Jolene January 11, 2010

I just bought a juicer today from Costco, and have NO idea how to use it and what kind of juice to make etc..

If you come up with any good concoctions, I’d love to hear about them!

52 Heidi January 11, 2010

Oooh neat. The Breville is a Beast of a juicer! It packs major power. I’m sure you’ll have fun experimenting with that guy! Mmmm, do I hear some fun new Green Monster recipes!!!??

53 Shannon January 11, 2010

I also have that juicer and it is awesome! I drink green juice every morning. . . better than coffee for a pick me up.

I love the juice recipes in Natalia Rose’s books (Raw Food Detox). I’m probably only 80% raw most of the time, but the juice is one thing I stick with all the time.

54 nic - the auspicious squirrel January 11, 2010

I was considering buying that exact juicer, can’t wait to hear what you think of it. :)

55 LucindA January 11, 2010

G’day!

I think I have that exact same juicer! I should use it, I only got it a couple of weeks ago, but like you I’m kind of scared of it!

56 Aoife January 11, 2010

You’ll love the juicer! I have a slightly different version and it’s fab. The worst part is cleaning it after ;) Love throwing in celery, carrot, apples and ginger and then adding some chia seeds at the end. Delicious!

57 Miz January 11, 2010

You are way ahead of me in the lifeWISDOMgame.
It took me having a child and watching her at play to realize how little I actually achieve when I multitask and realize how much MORE I ACHIEVE when I simply Be Present.

I dont “get” the whole mamathing about multitasking all day long.

but that’s me.

Im a misfit :)

58 Asta Sigrun January 11, 2010

Hey Angela- thanks for putting up the information on how to use Calendar on Google- just totally saved me. Writing my dissertation and its a nightmare and needed something concrete:)
All the best from Iceland

59 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 11, 2010

Wow! Those before and after pics of Sketchie are tremendous. Keep up the good work, Sketch ;)
There are certainly pros and cons with multitasking. Helps things get done, but definitely ups the stress level.
Can’t wait to hear about the sleep challenge!

60 AGS January 11, 2010

I think the biggest problem with multitasking is that you often fail to prioritize. Without priorities, you’ll end up kicking up a lot of dust, but not really accomplishing anything. Going for the “big stuff” keeps you accountable to your top priorities. The struggle, however, is to keep on top of small things that *do* need to get done, even when they aren’t urgent/important.

I think this balance is what keeps you on your toes. Of course, it can also cause stress. I find that I do best when the balance swings toward focusing on the most important/biggest tasks. This brings the greatest sense of accomplishment.

61 bobbi January 11, 2010

Hey lovely! I am a huge multi tasker and an early riser. Yes you will get so much more done in the morning!!! I love all your tid bits on organization I get so giddy when I read them :)

62 bobbi January 11, 2010

Oh and I too have that juicer and havent touched since I got it cant wait to see how you use it!

63 Eliana >^..^ January 11, 2010

OMG…I am so excited for you, I got that SAME juicer from Marc as a Christmas present, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven been juicing carrots, apples, starfruit, cucumbers etc. I am SO in love with it. Can’t wait to see what magic recipes you come up with and I can follow. ;o)

64 Jenny January 12, 2010

That’s so cute that the Christmas decorations were still up! So fun :)

Good to know that planning your days in blocks is working well for you, I think I will definitely try that when I start back with school and (hopefully) get a job in a few weeks.

65 Brandi January 16, 2010

That is the most unique cat I have EVER seen in my life. He could be a cat model…what is he?! I cannot get over his markings. He is gorgeous!

66 Meaghan January 24, 2010

I got that same juicer for christmas. Its great! You will really like it.