In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

IMG 9097 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Cooking and baking > Unpacking

Small, embarrassing confession:

I still haven’t unpacked from our trip to New Brunswick over Christmas!! My clothes are currently placed neatly in a heap around my suitcase. It is a very sad sight. The fact of the matter is unpacking won’t bake my bars for me or create blog content, so it has been put on the back burner! Priorities…right? ;)

Before we get to these amazingly easy veggie burgers that I made, I will announce the winner of the gorgeous Lululemon yoga tote!

Untitled thumb3   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

d thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Congrats Jessica! Please email me (angela@ohsheglows.com) with your mailing address and I will get this bag and Chocolate Spice tea shipped off to you!

Thank you to everyone who entered! There are certainly tons of Lululemon fans on this blog!

IMG 9099 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cooked chick peas (of beans of your choice)
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped into large pieces
  • 1 small sweet onion, peeled and chopped up into large pieces
  • 1/2 Red pepper, chopped into large pieces
  • 1/4 cup spinach, washed
  • 1/2 t dill (dried or fresh- I used fresh pureed dill)
  • 1/2 t dried basil
  • 1/4 t fine grain sea salt
  • tiny dash of cayenne
  • 1 clove minced garlic, optional
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (so amazing in this burger!)
  • 1 T pumpkin seeds (pepita)
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 3/4 cup spelt flour (or flour of your choice)

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with oil). Place all ingredients except the seeds and flour into a food processor. Process until mixture is blended well, stopping to scrape sides if necessary. Remove mixture and place into a large bowl. Add seeds and stir well. Now add the spelt flour (or flour of your choice) in 1/4 cup increments, stirring well until blended. Shape patties and bake for 15 mins at 375F, flip and bake for another 10 minutes.

Makes 8 small patties.

[Recipe adapted from Diet, Dessert, n Dogs- yes I'm obsessed]

IMG 9091 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Great nutritional profile too! I also made BURGER BALLS and rolled them in chia flour. tee hee

Untitledd thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

IMG 9080 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

IMG 9083 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Confession #2:

I ate 4 patties they were so good! I was super hungry from my early morning workout and these squashed my hunger in a flash. I can’t even begin to express my love for these veggies burgers!

Prep time was just 10 minutes too.

IMG 9092 thumb   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Seriously awesome tasting. The key ingredient is the sunflower seed by far. The flatbreads were fun but oh so messy.

Confession #3:

I have always avoided making veggie burgers because I thought it would be a very lengthy process and some recipes I have seen were quite long. This was super quick and easy though, especially if you have a food processor.

Have you ever avoided making a particular dish because you were scared to or worried that it would take too long?

I avoided making pies for years and then I discovered it was actually easy! And mini pies were even easier.

Well, lunch is over and it is back to baking. Today is a long, long, long day of baking. Will be at it until at least 10pm!

Have a great day :)

Angela Signature thumb6   In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 7, 2010

Don’t worry – it takes me forever to unpack!! I got so excited when I saw ‘Jessica’ at first. Darn!! We sooo need a LuLu here!

Heather @ (The Single Dish) January 7, 2010

I have avoided making pizza dough and some other pastries. I am scared to do it and it looks like it would be such a process. Maybe I will conquer my fear this year and do pizza dough, I love pizza.

Nikki T January 7, 2010

Same here!
‘Make a pizza from scratch’ has been on my 101 Things in 1001 Days list since Oct 09…maybe this year I will conquer the fear too!
Good Luck :)

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel January 7, 2010

I have to pipe in here because it really is easy! You don’t even have to let it rise!!! It will rise some while you are putting the toppings on it and a little more when it first gets into the oven.

We can whip it up and have a pie in the oven in 15-20 minutes. We even make pizza from scratch in the dutch ovens when camping over the coals….YUM!

AGS January 7, 2010

I make pizza from scratch all the time — about once/week b/c it is my husband’s favorite. It took about a year for it to be the way we wanted it (floppy, NY style). The first time I made the dough, it was kind of a disaster — not soft and flexible at all. Just go for it, and you will be a pizza pro in no time. It really doesn’t take much longer than other dishes. I make all the other things we’re going to eat with the pizza, set the table, and do lunches/clean-up while the dough rises. I consider one of my great weekly acts of domestic love. ;)

Nikki T January 7, 2010

That is awesome! Pizza is a fave of my husband too, but we always just order the good ‘ol greasy stuff. I’d really love to make my own.
I know dough recipes aren’t rocket science, but would you mind sharing yours??

AGS January 7, 2010

Pizza Dough (for one pizza pie)

About 3 cups flour (I use a combination of ½ white and ½ whole wheat)
1 cup warm water (it should be warm, but against your wrist, should not feel hot)
1 teaspoon sugar (or honey)
2 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
Little oil

Additions:
¼ cup soy flour
1 T. wheat germ
1 t. oregano
You can also play with the flour combination (oat, spelt, etc.), but we like it simple, so I keep it that way.

Mix yeast, sugar and warm water in bowl (you could skip the sugar, but it is food for the yeast). Let is stand for a few minutes to make sure the yeast is active. Once the yeast gets a bit bubbly, add salt and enough flour to make a really stiff dough (you can add the additions at this time, if you like). Mix thoroughly. Slowly add more flour until a ball starts to form. Put flour on the counter and knead the dough until soft and elastic, adding more flour as needed. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it so it is thoroughly covered. Cover with a cloth that is a little damp, and place is a warm spot. It will take about 40 minutes to rise. Punch down and roll or stretch out as you like. Place on lightly oiled pizza sheet/stone, and proceed with toppings.

Ta-da. And remember: It is just an excuse to make more pizza if it doesn’t turn out great the first time.

Nikki T January 7, 2010

Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2010

Amazing thanks ladies!!!! I havent made pizza from scratch more than a few times I think, but from what I remember it wasnt that bad!!!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 7, 2010

I want one of those veggie burgers! I still have yet to unpack from my holiday travels too. I walk into my bedroom with my suitcase staring me in the face. I just don’t feel like unpacking!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2010

glad im not the only one! hehe

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel January 7, 2010

My terrible confession is, especially when we get into the busy scouting and school season, many times I don’t get to unpack until I need to repack for the next trip!

Nikki T January 7, 2010

I so admire your kitchen-creativity!!
One of my goals for 2010: Be fearless in the kitchen!
I hope I can do it :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 7, 2010

Oh yum. Those look fantastic. Yes, there are tons of recipes I avoid just for that reason. One being lentil loaves. Another is an almond “feta” that a blogger friend posted. I SOOO want to give it a shot, but it seems daunting.

Ricki January 7, 2010

Your burgers/balls looks so tempting! I love your photos. I also shied away from veggie burgers for a long time for fear they’d be time-consuming. But I’m all about easy (well, in cooking, that is!), so when I found the recipe, I knew I’d have to try it. I’m so glad you enjoyed them! :D

Sana January 7, 2010

Congrats to the winner- thanks for a lovely giveaway!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 7, 2010

Honestly, veggie burgers are the thing I haven’t made because I imagine that it would take forever with all the chopping and stuff. So glad to have your recipe, though, because I’ll definitely be trying them now!

have a beautiful day :)

Katie (Sweet Tater) January 7, 2010

looks amazing! i love the addition of dill. i’ve recently learned that i’m a dill fan. who knew?

Brittany January 7, 2010

I was the same way about making bean and veggie burgers until I tried a recipe once and realized how incredibly easy it was!

Your spelt burgers look fantastic. I’ll have to save this recipe.

Rachel January 7, 2010

That recipe looks delicious & healthy. I’ve never made my own veggie burgers, but I might just give a try now.

Chelsea January 7, 2010

I avoided my own pizza dough for a very long time. Over Christmas I did it and it was SO easy!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 7, 2010

I have a 16 month old little girl so I’m always scared things will take too long! I will definitely have to try those veggie burgers. :)

Bronwyn January 7, 2010

Those veggie burgers look delicious.

It’s always amazing to me how easy some things we’re scared to try are. There’s always warnings by people about this type of recipe or that type of recipe, how it’s difficult, how you need to be careful, blah, blah, blah. When really a lot of the time it’s not as bad as we think.

liane January 7, 2010

I will give the veggie burgers a try.
I have tried store bought veggie burgers and I have yet to find any that I like, but I had never thought to make them!
Thanks for the recipe.

Audrey January 7, 2010

I don’t really like the store-bought ones either. For that reason I’ve been itching to see if I can’t make a better burger. Looks like Angela has done it for me!

Morgan January 7, 2010

Pies for me too! I was terrified to make pie crust from scratch and it’s so easy!
I’m the opposite when it comes to unpacking. I like to be unpacked ASAP. We came home from the holidays, unloaded the car, unpacked all of the bags and put everything away before we even sat down. Both my husband and I feel unsettled if we haven’t unpacked!

Stacy Cina January 7, 2010

I’m the same way :0) It can be late and nite and I’ll be exhausted but I’ll still put get it all out that suitcase!

Nikki T January 7, 2010

Me too! I’m glad I’m not the only instant-unpacker!
Get that laundry done and out of the way, I say!!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope January 7, 2010

Haha, I HATE unpacking. Packing is fun, but I tend to leave the UNpacking for days after my return home. ;)

What a neat recipe Angela! I love all the flavors.

xxoo
Heather

Erin B January 7, 2010

Yum!! I am so excited to try this!!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 7, 2010

My dream job at the moment is to work for you baking Glo Bars. Too bad I don’t live in Canada =(

Jackie @ TriToLose January 7, 2010

Those veggie burgers look absolutely delicious! I’ll have to give them a try! :)

Jackie
tritolose.wordpress.com

Kelly Michelle January 7, 2010

I love making veggie burgers, so much better than the premade ones, and much healthier, no crap in them!! Please keep the recipes coming!! I am loving them, Diet Dessert and Dogs is one of my fav blogs as well (in addition to yours of course). Come have a blog meetup in MIAMI!!! pretty please?

Carolyn January 7, 2010

I seriously need to get a food processor. BTW, no worries about the suitcase. Both of mine are still on the floor from Monday.

Jolene January 7, 2010

Wahhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooo congrats to Jessica!!!!!!!!!!!

Leah January 7, 2010

I hate unpacking. I totally understand putting it off, I think its the worst part about travelling. And I wont lie, I may be the same way when it comes to putting away my laundry. Theres a possibility that Fridays laundry is still sitting in a pile that has moved from my bed, to the floor, to a chair. I just keep my bedroom door closed and its like its not even there!

Danielle (Coffee Run) January 7, 2010

These look so good! I usually have a tough time getting veggie burgers to stay together but yours look pretty solid. I had always wanted to make bread from scratch but was intimidated by all the “kneading, let rise…” But it’s so easy! And delishhh

rae January 7, 2010

hi angela! those burgers look super yummo! i can’t wait to try and make them.

do you have any suggestions on things to eat when you don’t have time to cook? is subway the best place to go if i’m trying to lose weight?

amy January 7, 2010

This is great to have such an easy recipe for veggie burgers. I was astounded at how expensive premade vegetarian food is.
Do you have a favorite recipe for homemade baked beans? I’m trying to get away from canned food as much as possible.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 7, 2010

That sounds amazing! I was just trying to decide if I should make my own for lunch, or have a frozen one. This one looks delicious!

Diana January 7, 2010

I’ve got to be honest here – If a recipe has more than a handful of ingredients I’m usually hesitent to try it. Also, if there is no picture attached there is no point in even reading it!
Diana

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 7, 2010

hehe.. I just realized that after I saw my name on this post, I stopped reading… but these look AMAZING! I am going to try these for sure… as I’m not a fan of store bought ones.

One thing I always think looks like too much work are granola bars/ or those little date/nut balls… I feel like it ends in too much clean up!!! That’s why I need to order some of your glow bars ASAP! :)

Angela January 7, 2010

yummm those look so good! I’ve never made a veggie burger before and I’m try this on for sure!

Jenny January 7, 2010

I am a constant putter-offer of baking because I get so hungry while waiting for it to bake/cook that i feel like it’s not worth it. I guess I just need to be conscious of this fact and make treats when I’m not starrrving :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 7, 2010

That looks so good! probably way better than the gardenburgers I am used to ;-)

Stacy Cina January 7, 2010

Yum! Those burgers look great! I am high raw, so I’m going to try to adapt with soaked buckwheat and a dehydrator (longer cook time :( booo)

Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion January 7, 2010

I avoided making cheesecake for a long time because it seemed like a long and painful process. I did it on Thanksgiving and it was no so bad :)

Dana January 7, 2010

They look delish! I have one suggestion. I have always found veggie burgers to be somewhat bland. The last time I made some, i added a couple tablespoons of cut up cilantro and it was awesome! If you like cilantro, you’ll love the added flavor it gives to the patties. good luck!

rungirlrunn January 7, 2010

I’ve hesitated making lots of things before because I thought it would be too hard, but I’m glad to say I’ve been proven wrong every single time. Even bread is SO much easier than I thought- the hardest part is waiting for it to rise :)

Jil January 7, 2010

Those look so good! and the nutritional profile is awesome! I am adding this to my “to make” list!

Lizzie January 7, 2010

Angela:

Can you used canned chickpeas? And frozen peppers (I never buy the fresh ones unless they’re on special as they’re very expensive)?

They look SO good. I’m making lentil patties tonight, so maybe these won’t be stretch after all. :)

Ameena January 7, 2010

I love veggie burgers and I agree that they’ve always intimidated me for some reason. I can’t wait to try these though!

Page 1 of 3123»