Don’t Worry, Be Happy

I was really hoping that my first day back to work post-Christmas was going to be fabulous, but unfortunately some bad news clouded over my sunny day! Hrmph!!!!!!

After not hearing anything from CTV News about my interview (which was almost a month ago), I decided to email CTV again to see what was going on.

Today, I was told that the story would likely not be aired. It was a holiday story and well, the holidays are now over.

I wish I could say that I picked myself up off the floor and carried on with my day, but I have been extremely bummed since I heard this news. I was also given no explanation why it did not air and I’m not even sure I would have been emailed had I not contacted CTV numerous times and bugged them about it.

The worst part of it is that I never even got to see my own interview. It is not online and I doubt I will ever get to see it! What the heck?!

In the grand scheme of things, this is a mere blip on the radar and I know it is not the end of the world. I have so many blessings in my life- my health, husband, family, friends, all of you- I will try not to waste another tear on this experience!!!!!

I ended up doing accounting all day, which didn’t make things any more cheery…

IMG_8202

My Glo Bakery accounting information is due mid-January, so I have been working on that. I’d like to have all the loose ends tied up by the weekend.

I track all of my business related expenses, revenues, mileage, bank transactions, etc in one Excel spreadsheet. It is amazingly easy and efficient, much better than our QuickBooks experience.

Around 6:30pm, I started to think about dinner and I was craving comfort food like an 8 month pregnant lady craves dill pickles and peanut butter.

IMG_8475

Baked Acorn Squash with Quinoa, Cranberry, and Apricot Stuffing

INGREDIENTS
2 cups quinoa
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used 2 T olive oil and 1/3 cup applesauce)
1 1/2 cups diced onion
sea salt
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped the size of raisins
1/4 cup dried currants (I didn’t have any)
1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
freshly ground black pepper
4 medium Acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed
extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

IMG_8523

Then the squash started to sing a familiar tune to me:

Here’s a little song i wrote,
you might want to sing it note for note,
don’t worry, be happy
in every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don’t worry, be happy

IMG_8526

Directions:
1. Adjust a rack to the middle shelf of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

2. Simmer the quinoa in 4 cups of water until fluffy, 15 to 20 minutes.

3. While the quinoa cooks, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery, ginger, and sage.

4. Cover the pan and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes (add a tablespoon of water, if necessary, to prevent scorching.)

5. In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa and vegetables. Stir in the dried fruit, pumpkin seeds, nutmeg, and cinnamon, season with salt and pepper.

6. Brush the skin of the squash lightly with oil. Place the squash, cut side down, in a baking pan large enough to hold them in a snug single layer.

7. Pour 1/2-inch of boiling water into the pan and bake for 20 minutes (you want the squash to have softened slightly, but not completely). Transfer the squash to a plate and let rest until cool enough to handle. [I put the squash in the oven as soon as I put the Quinoa on to save time]

8. Stuff the squash halves with the quinoa mixture, return them, stuffing-up, to the pan, and bake until the flesh can be easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 20 to 30 minutes more.

[Recipe source]

IMG_8468

It was deelish.

IMG_8527

In The Blogosphere…

Do you need to spruce up your elliptical workout? Check out Kelly’s Elliptical Challenge over at Red Sox Cap.

I’ll leave you with one of the happiest songs ever…and quite possibly one of the funniest music videos of all time.

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 3, 2010

That’s too bad that CTV won’t be airing your interview – it is sad that they always focus on the negative in the news, and can’t light up our lives with a little glo of sunshine :-)

Jenny December 30, 2009

I’m so sorry about your interview not getting aired! That makes me mad, but I do believe you will have even greater opportunities to spread your happy and healthy message.

Don’t worry, be happy :) Thank you.

Barbara December 30, 2009

Angela~

Ask for a copy of the interview and say it’s for your demo reel. They don’t need to know the details but they should honor you with a reel since you gave them your valuable time.

I’m an actor and often have to go ask for reels….

Good luck and know that even if it didn’t air..YOU are fabulous, beautiful and have alot going for you.

Barb

Erin December 30, 2009

I’m making this squash tonight, but with couscous instead of quinoa. Can’t wait!

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness December 30, 2009

LOVE Bobby McFerrin. His song has a great message.
Sorry that the interview hasn’t aired yet, I hope that the news station ha s nothing but SLOW news days from now on and by a stroke of luck, they will air it!
You should request a DVD copy of the story, they should be able to provide that to you. Offer your shipping account information so that their shipping cost to send to you would be covered. I do this all the time when we have artists on for interviews with the local AM shows.

Erin December 30, 2009

Angela, I just got caught up on your posts! Sorry to hear about the interview not being aired, such a bummer! But bigger and better things will come to you, for sure!

Julie @savvyeats December 30, 2009

Bummer about the interview. :( Don’t worry… be happy!

Amanda December 30, 2009

Sorry about the interview, all that fretting for nothing! They should at least give you a copy! Don’t worry, be happy: that squash is definitely saying that : )

Lisa December 30, 2009

They should at least give you a copy. Cheer up. Your squash looks too pretty to eat.

Natasha December 30, 2009

Aww!!! That’s so rude of them (CTV). Can you contact them for a copy of the interview? Sometimes TV stations will do that.

Food looks delish as always!

zestycook December 30, 2009

Sorry to here about your interview not making the air waves. On the other hand the squash looks delicious!

zest

Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 30, 2009

:( I’m so sorry about it not airing! That’s a huge bummer! But there will be so many more opportunities for you I know since you’re so talented and lovely:)

Cristin December 30, 2009

Darn! I hit something and my comment posted before I was ready!

Anyway, there are things I’ve never seen for various reasons. I bet you’ll get interviewed again though!

Also-I just received my first box of Glo bars and I am in love! They are amazing! Paying the shipping was worth it. :)

Cristin December 30, 2009

Oh no! That sucks. If it makes you feel better, I’m an actor and there are lots of performances I’ve never gotten to see for

Ameena December 30, 2009

I’m so sorry that it won’t be aired but it was good practice for future interviews!!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner December 30, 2009

That is so annoying! I wanted to see it too!

rungirlrunn December 30, 2009

Oh that just stinks!! Too bad they can’t just send you a copy so you can at least watch. Don’t be too bummed, it just means something even better is waiting for you right around the corner :)

Tami December 30, 2009

i am so sorry, i know how excited you (and all of us) were!

Alex December 30, 2009

that. is. riDICulous. I cannot believe what disregard they have for you and your effort- don’t they recognize how much of your time and effort went into that? I would definitely call and see if you can request a tape of the interview at least- you should be able to see yourself!

katherine December 30, 2009

Doh. Sorry to hear that your segment didn’t air in the east. At least you got some fabulous advertising out here in B.C.!

Kasey December 30, 2009

I’m sorry to hear about the interview. I admire how positive you are and I love that you posted that hilarious video!

AGS December 30, 2009

Ange — I’m sorry about the interview. At least we got to see photos while they were filming it.

Also, I loved your analogy to the pregnant woman and cravings! Hilarious.

Keep smiling, keep focused, and keep in mind that there will mostly likely be plenty of other interviews — just wait. The New Year will certainly bring surprises and growth. Hugs!

Stacy December 30, 2009

Bummer on the interview! Here’s another (don’t worry) saying ‘Don’t worry – you ROCK!’…Good stuff on the way to you! At least you ARE living your dream, right? :) Think back to the days of your research job…. Well off to get ready for my finance job…boooooo…

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind December 30, 2009

OK, before I’m all positive and “Don’t worry about it, Angela,” I have to say: That is such CRAP about the interview! Grrrr! I would be mad and upset, too. You deserved that. Buuuut, like you said, it’s not the end of the world, of course. Still sucks, though. I really believe everything happens for a reason, so maybe there is something even BETTER to come for you! :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 30, 2009

awww, hope you’re feeling better Angela! if it makes you feel better, your squash looks gorgeous!! and that’s such a healthy comfort food too :O)

Melanie December 30, 2009

Sorry about your interview:(. That really wasn’t very cost-effective of them to spend time and effort on the interview and then no air it. However, you were asked to do it, which means that your story is getting out there:)….which means that you’re likely to be asked again!

I wish I liked acorn squash better…I baked some a few weeks ago and couldn’t get past the smell for some reason:(. Yours looks so good, though!

Nae December 30, 2009

Hey Ange,

Sorry about the interview! I work in the journalism world, and I know a lot of times when we do stories, even if we absolutely fall in love with the person/product/etc, they’re held for a variety of reasons. Space tends to be a big one! So try not to take it personally… Sorry to hear about that again.

Just keep glowin :D

skinny latte December 30, 2009

Sorry to hear about your interview Ange – that totally sucks! I hope they at least have the courtesy to let you have a copy of it. Meh! I would be a bit down about it too. I’m sure there’s bigger and better things on the horizon for you :)

The Voracious Vegan December 30, 2009

Awww so sorry to hear about your interview! How incredibly frustrating and disappointing, I can understand why you are so bummed. At least you ended the day with a beautiful dish of comfort food!

Whitney December 30, 2009

You should get QuickBooks. It makes things -so- easy. You can use it to track inventory, print checks, sync with bank accounts, store customer information. The return on investment is excellent if your business is growing

erica December 30, 2009

aw, that totally sucks. they should at least send you film of it! you are so positive though…something better will come out of this :)

that dinner looks SO delicious and cute too! great presentation!
ive got to try quinoa one of these days!

Tracie @hollafoodzone December 30, 2009

haha oh forgive me but I am laughing because your whole personality really comes through in this post! I can tell you are so so disappointed about your interview not airing (sorry about that), yet 2 seconds later you post this lovely “comfort food” recipe you whipped up for dinner with quinoa and squash that is healthy and beautiful and so original! Most of us would have schlepped to the couch with a bowl of microwave popcorn or a tub of ice cream and pouted! You have a very positive spirit!