Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

IMG 0056 thumb   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

We’ve been home from our trip for 3 hours and I have already started to bake!

I got a huge craving for these homemade crackers I made earlier in 2009 and I just had to make them tonight. I think it had something to do with the sea of trans fat laden crackers and cookies that were being handed out on the airplane. They just would not do.

So I decided…

Unpacking < Baking crackers

Priorities, people!

IMG 0047 thumb   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

I am somewhat of a cracker snob.

My crackers must be hearty. They also must be filling, wholesome, and heavy on the seeds. I like to feel as much like a bird as possible when eating my crackers. I also like them to curb my hunger, not increase it.

I created this recipe for homemade chewy crackers earlier in 2009 and I thought I would share it with all of you before the New Year. Better late than never, right?

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup uncooked Quinoa
  • 4 T ground flax
  • 2 T sesame seeds
  • 2 T whole flax seeds
  • 1-2 T chia seeds
  • 1 T water
  • 1 t garlic
  • Herbs, to taste (dill was fun)
  • 1 t tahini
  • 1 t sea salt

Directions: Preheat oven to 300F. Cook rice and quinoa according to package directions in two separate small pots. Cool rice and quinoa after cooking. In a food processor, blend together cooked rice, quinoa, ground flax, water, herbs, tahini, salt. Stir in sesame, flax, and chia seeds (or just press them on top of dough like I did in some pictures).

Scoop mixture onto a greased baking sheet (or line with parchment paper). Flatten with wet hands and spread out. Roll with a pastry roller to smooth. Take a pastry cutter (or pizza slicer) and cut dough into desired cracker shapes. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins. until golden. Watch carefully after 30 mins. to avoid burning the crackers. You might want to flip the crackers half way through cooking. Crackers will also firm up while cooling. Cool for 15 mins. on baking sheet and carefully break apart.

I love these crackers.

They are thick and chewy and oh so good.

You can make Plain Jane’s…

IMG 7054 thumb   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

Or All Dressed.

IMG 0050 thumb   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

They are chewy, yet crisp.

You can cut them into squares, triangles, large flatbreads (for fun sandwiches), or skinny strips. The sky is the limit!

These also work for breakfast smothered in peanut butter and jam.

Ohhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaa. Bow wow chicka chicka.

IMG 0057 thumb   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

I hope you enjoy them as much as Eric and I do! :D

~~~~

Well, it is back to work for Eric and I tomorrow!

I am working on the new and super exciting Glo Bar Resolution Fit Pack- a variety of Glo Bars to help you get your New Year started off on the healthy foot! Stay tuned for details. :)

Angela Signature thumb32   Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

Rebekah December 29, 2009

Yum!

Any idea what to use if you don’t own a food processor? Would a blender work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2009

I cant see why a blender wouldnt work!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed December 29, 2009

These look great! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the new glo bar fit pack :)

skinnyrunner December 29, 2009

thanks for the recipe! now if only i could get motivated to unpack. or bake.

Jenny December 29, 2009

Healthy treats > unpacking for sure! ;) Those crackers sound really good…and I agree, they should satisfy, not mutliply tummy grumbles!

Melissa December 29, 2009

Angela… I just made your candied almonds and I just have to say I’m in love! : )

The only thing that is keeping me from eating the entire bowl is the thought of the gym tonight after eating 2 cups of candied almonds! lol : )

Natasha December 29, 2009

Yummm!!! They look so good. I am SO gonna have to do some research and find out the french names for some of those ingredients. Inspiration is key. Thank-you ;-)

chrysta December 29, 2009

Looks so fabulous girl!! Thanks so much!

Danielle December 29, 2009

Angela, I just wrote my “Top Ten in 2010″ blog post and totally thought of you. You are the one that inspired most of the resolutions anyway :) bit.ly/6hTgOC

Danielle December 29, 2009

Angela, I just wrote my “Top Ten in 2010″ blog post and totally thought of you. You are the one that inspired most of the resolutions anyway :) http://bit.ly/6hTgOC

Lauren December 29, 2009

I’ve been trying to make more things from home to cut back on preservatives, but I never even considered crackers. I just might be giving these a try!

Julie December 30, 2009

Oh for heaven’s sake. Now I see the line that clearly states to cool the rice and quinoa before mixing together. I wonder if that is why mine didn’t stick together while baking. It was crumbly and really like bird seed! I bet that is why. I didn’t let it cool, I mixed everything together while warm. I’m going for a retry tonight! I’ll get it :)

Allison December 30, 2009

I just tried these crackers today and they’re delicious! I love the chewy texture! I can’t wait to try them with hummus or cheese :)
Thanks for the recipe!!

mycupofteas January 12, 2010

I just made these crackers and they are TO DIE FOR! thank you so so much for the recipe!

Jess @ Gluten Freesta February 23, 2010

I am definitely going to try these out. Do you mind if I put a link to the recipe up on my blog?

Sasha July 13, 2010

Oh my God! I made a small batch today and WOW!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I’m notorious for not following recipes to the letter..I mean I do follow the ingredients list (mostly) but throw them in randomly.
In your recipe, I doubled the quinoa compared to rice because I wanted a protein-dense cracker. Didn’t have chia seeds. Added fresh dill, fresh coriander, and fresh mint. Also threw in a dry red chilli to up the oomph factor ;)
I seriously did not expect to get something SO SO good. I finished the entire batch in one go – it was unstoppable. I just ate nearly 450 calories in one go. So worth it!
Thank you, you’re an angel!

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit July 26, 2010

Dear Angela,

I have been reading your awesome blog for about 3 weeks now but I read many many of your older posts, especially the ones regarding your green monsters, and your ‘journey’. I too have a history of a viscious eating disorder, which I am only now after over 3 years and many treatments am really recovering from, and this time ‘all’ by myself. reading blogs such as yours and books, particularly about intuitive eating, have helped me so much. For the first time since the onset of my eating disorder I can fineally see clear, I finally have a (huge) drive of taking care of myself and body, and am not at all afraid of nourishing myself anymore. funny thing: I am actually studying to become an RD and the study has helped me a lot as well (even though most people were very wary of me starting this education).

I know it has been said before but your Green Monster story was and is indeed very moving, and for me soul touching. I hope I won’t come across as corny but it’s exactly how I feel with drinking them. they symbolize a new me and a new and exciting journey. a journey of health and happiness. I can’t express in words how much respect I have for you and how proud and happy I am for you that you too have found your way, and that you inspire so many people on a daily basis to take good care of themselves and their bodies, and in that way get so much more back in return.

All my love,

Sabine

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Thank you so much for your comment…it totally made me smile! It is good to know that you can relate to how I felt about the green monster. :) I wish you all the best in your journey!

Audrey October 28, 2010

You are amazing, Angela. I don’t know how you do it. Your blog is one of the first healthy living blogs I ever read and one of the few I have continued reading consistently. It just keeps getting better and better. Your writing style is so personal and down-to-earth and the recipes and photography are incredible. I can’t wait until the cookbook comes out. LOL

P.S> I thought that was really funny about your husband dipping them in chocolate. Something about the way you said it just made me laugh inside. You have a great sense of humor.

Audrey October 28, 2010

I just realized that I put my comment on the wrong cracker post. It was supposed to be on the other one. Whoops!

Carley McConkey March 17, 2013

I love these crackers. I always have mine with home made hummus. They are a perfect afternoon snack.
Thanks Angela!!

Carley

Elisa April 4, 2014

Chewy crackers, never herad that before. But tried them and they’re amaying.

Thank so much for sharing, as I’ll be doing them now way more often.

Love from Germany,