Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 28, 2009

IMG_0056

We’ve been home from our trip for 3 hours and I have already started to bake!

I got a huge craving for these homemade crackers I made earlier in 2009 and I just had to make them tonight. I think it had something to do with the sea of trans fat laden crackers and cookies that were being handed out on the airplane. They just would not do.

So I decided…

Unpacking < Baking crackers

Priorities, people!

IMG_0047

Gluten Free + Vegan Chewy Crackers

I am somewhat of a cracker snob.

My crackers must be hearty. They also must be filling, wholesome, and heavy on the seeds. I like to feel as much like a bird as possible when eating my crackers. I also like them to curb my hunger, not increase it.

I created this recipe for homemade chewy crackers earlier in 2009 and I thought I would share it with all of you before the New Year. Better late than never, right?

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup uncooked Quinoa
  • 4 T ground flax
  • 2 T sesame seeds
  • 2 T whole flax seeds
  • 1-2 T chia seeds
  • 1 T water
  • 1 t garlic
  • Herbs, to taste (dill was fun)
  • 1 t tahini
  • 1 t sea salt

Directions: Preheat oven to 300F. Cook rice and quinoa according to package directions in two separate small pots. Cool rice and quinoa after cooking. In a food processor, blend together cooked rice, quinoa, ground flax, water, herbs, tahini, salt. Stir in sesame, flax, and chia seeds (or just press them on top of dough like I did in some pictures).

Scoop mixture onto a greased baking sheet (or line with parchment paper). Flatten with wet hands and spread out. Roll with a pastry roller to smooth. Take a pastry cutter (or pizza slicer) and cut dough into desired cracker shapes. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins. until golden. Watch carefully after 30 mins. to avoid burning the crackers. You might want to flip the crackers half way through cooking. Crackers will also firm up while cooling. Cool for 15 mins. on baking sheet and carefully break apart.

I love these crackers.

They are thick and chewy and oh so good.

You can make Plain Jane’s…

IMG_7054

Or All Dressed.

IMG_0050

They are chewy, yet crisp.

You can cut them into squares, triangles, large flatbreads (for fun sandwiches), or skinny strips. The sky is the limit!

These also work for breakfast smothered in peanut butter and jam.

Ohhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaa. Bow wow chicka chicka.

IMG_0057

I hope you enjoy them as much as Eric and I do! :D

~~~~

Well, it is back to work for Eric and I tomorrow!

I am working on the new and super exciting Glo Bar Resolution Fit Pack– a variety of Glo Bars to help you get your New Year started off on the healthy foot! Stay tuned for details. :)

Angela_Signature

Little Aspects December 28, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your cracker recipe! I’m always on the lookout for healthy, savoury snacks. They look great!

Ashley December 28, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Will definitely have to give those a shot!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I made your crackers a few months ago. They were divine!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm

How wholesome!! I’m excited to try these because I’m a big cracker fan but always manage to eat too many in one sitting. These seem like they’ll fill me right up with nutritiousness!

Danielle (Coffee Run) December 28, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Those remind me of Mary’s crackers except thicker (and I guess chewy :) ) I’ll have to give them a try!

Susan December 28, 2009 at 11:51 pm

What could i substitute for the tamari? I’d loove to try this out! Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2009 at 12:05 am

its actually tahini :)

Niki December 28, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve been wanting to make some flax crackers lately but haven’t gotten to it. I like how they are crispy, crunchy and chewy. They look really good. I’m going to need to try this out!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 28, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Those look so delicious! Love the idea. It stinks that vaca is over – I’m back to work tomorrow, too.

Kristin December 29, 2009 at 12:03 am

Those look fantastic !!

Maya December 29, 2009 at 12:16 am

These look fantastic! I am bookmarking the recipe now.

Ameena December 29, 2009 at 12:33 am

These look great and I love that they are gluten-free. Thanks for the recipe!

Mae December 29, 2009 at 12:39 am

I LOVE home made crackers and they’re something I haven’t attempted before… these look perfect!

Jolene December 29, 2009 at 12:44 am

Homemade crackers!!! I have never even thought of such a thing!! I cannot wait to make these in the new year when I get home from the Dominican!!

Since I won’t be reading blogs for a week … Have a very Happy New Year!!! I will catch up on my blog reading when I return!

Leah December 29, 2009 at 12:50 am

YUM! I think Im going to make these sometime this week. They look wonderful!

One Healthy Apple December 29, 2009 at 1:42 am

Wow, those look extremely good! So creative!

erin December 29, 2009 at 1:49 am

wow angela! these look amazing – and i am super happy they are gluten free!!! i have celiac disease, but have recently started leaning vegan – and it can be HARD to find yummy snacks that are both GF and vegan. i am totally going to try these out! now i just have to get my hands on some chia seeds…..

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 29, 2009 at 2:27 am

I have died and gone to cracker heaven. On my bake this for this week!

They are a good looking cracker ;)

Katie December 29, 2009 at 2:27 am

Those look great! Do you think that they would crisp up a bit more if you rolled them flatter? I am thinking they would taste great as a dipping cracker for baba ganouj or hummus, but might be better crispy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2009 at 10:01 am

yes they do get crisper if you roll flatter :)

I like them a bit thick…chewy in the middle and crisp on the edge.

Janessa (epicuriousvegan.blogspot.com) December 29, 2009 at 3:15 am

Oh my goodness. Those crackers are calling my name… “Janessa….Janessa…. Make me NOW.”

Diana December 29, 2009 at 4:49 am

Thank you so much for sharing one of your recipes. I can’t wait to try it.

I just found your blog yesterday and totally love it! You are totally amazing. :)

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind December 29, 2009 at 8:06 am

“I like to feel as much like a bird as possible when eating my crackers.”

Hahaha you crack me up, Angela. Those crackers look delicious! I might just have to do a cracker-making experiment soon.

rachael December 29, 2009 at 8:47 am

Yum, those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 29, 2009 at 9:06 am

Wow! I thought I’d seen everything, but I’d never seen a cracker recipe floating around the blogs! These look delicious. However, I’m trying to grasp the concept of chewy *and* crispy. Guess I’ll have to make them and see for myself!

Pam December 29, 2009 at 9:09 am

Those look really great!

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Janice @ O.S.M.B. December 29, 2009 at 9:12 am

As everyone else has said, these look incredible! I haven’t bitten the bullet and bought a food processor yet, so I’m owndering if there’s any substitute- a blender perhaps? Or is it finally time I splurge and just get one…

Kristy December 29, 2009 at 9:19 am

I love how your recipes encourage me to try spices I’ve never heard of – Whole Foods here I came :-)

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) December 29, 2009 at 9:23 am

Those definitely look bird like :)

Sana December 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

Those look yummy! I can’t wait to make them. How do you store them? Air tight container, room temperature? How long are they good for?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2009 at 10:01 am

They have never lasted more than a few days in this house! I store them in air tight container after they have cooled completely.

Sana December 30, 2009 at 9:14 am

Thanks!

Nicole Rouillon June 26, 2012 at 2:39 am

Hi there these look awesome! Do you store them in the pantry or fridge? Thanks!

Tiffanie December 29, 2009 at 9:55 am

WOW! Those look incredible! AND i have all the ingredients on hand. I’m so going to be making these later today. We are traveling to TN on Thursday so these will make a great snack on the plane!! THANKS!

Julie December 29, 2009 at 10:14 am

Oh my goodness, the first time I click to your website and here there is a fab recipe for hearty crackers! What a great start :) I’ve never baked crackers and I am so excited to give them a try. I actually have all of the ingredients at home and can’t wait to begin! I’m going to read some more. Thank you!

Britt - Runnerbelle December 29, 2009 at 10:49 am

Those look great! I may have to make them for our NYE party, we have a friend with celiacs coming over and I bet he would love these! (as would the rest of the crew)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 29, 2009 at 11:01 am

those look quite easy – AND I now have a food processor so I can make them!

Jil December 29, 2009 at 11:35 am

These look so delicious! :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 29, 2009 at 11:53 am

I’m sooo totally forwarding this to my mom. She would LOVE this! Maybe we can make it together!

Jewel December 29, 2009 at 11:56 am

Happy New Year!

I am going to try these….since you got me hooked on Mary’s Crackers I have been meaning to see if I could find a way to make them! These look close and yummy.

I will make them thin and crispy though…YUM!

Cindy December 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much! I am always on the hunt for hearty home made crackers and have been trying to even make them “crackery” mine always have issues ..LOL

I have this printed and ready to try and I even have all those ing on hand!

I’m a bit of a cracker snob myself” haha
Happy New Year!!!

Lesiie December 29, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I was so excited to see this post because this is EXACTLY the type of recipe I have been looking for! Yay! I can’t wait to make them!!

Mary @ fit this, girl! December 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

These look great!!! My mom is always trying to get “off” the processed crackers and away from the hidden sugars in them, I am going to make a batch of these and ship it off with the recipe! I know this will be a great solution for her! How do you think of all these recipes? You are so talented and creative!! Thanks!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 29, 2009 at 1:54 pm

those crackers look delish! i love the idea of smearing them w/ pb and j! thanks for sharing the recipe :O)

Jen December 29, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Those look so great! Back when I went through an obsession with Mary’s crackers, my brother used to tell people that I eat bird seed. Hell yeah! I took a long hiatus from blogging, but I’m back now, and I don’t remember you being vegan before! I used to read your blog a lot. Now I’m excited to try some of your recipes! I’m Jen, by the way. :)

Rebekah December 29, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Yum!

Any idea what to use if you don’t own a food processor? Would a blender work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I cant see why a blender wouldnt work!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed December 29, 2009 at 2:56 pm

These look great! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the new glo bar fit pack :)

skinnyrunner December 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm

thanks for the recipe! now if only i could get motivated to unpack. or bake.

Jenny December 29, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Healthy treats > unpacking for sure! ;) Those crackers sound really good…and I agree, they should satisfy, not mutliply tummy grumbles!

Melissa December 29, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Angela… I just made your candied almonds and I just have to say I’m in love! : )

The only thing that is keeping me from eating the entire bowl is the thought of the gym tonight after eating 2 cups of candied almonds! lol : )

Natasha December 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Yummm!!! They look so good. I am SO gonna have to do some research and find out the french names for some of those ingredients. Inspiration is key. Thank-you ;-)

chrysta December 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Looks so fabulous girl!! Thanks so much!

Danielle December 29, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Angela, I just wrote my “Top Ten in 2010” blog post and totally thought of you. You are the one that inspired most of the resolutions anyway :) bit.ly/6hTgOC

Danielle December 29, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Angela, I just wrote my “Top Ten in 2010″ blog post and totally thought of you. You are the one that inspired most of the resolutions anyway :) http://bit.ly/6hTgOC

Lauren December 29, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I’ve been trying to make more things from home to cut back on preservatives, but I never even considered crackers. I just might be giving these a try!

Julie December 30, 2009 at 10:42 am

Oh for heaven’s sake. Now I see the line that clearly states to cool the rice and quinoa before mixing together. I wonder if that is why mine didn’t stick together while baking. It was crumbly and really like bird seed! I bet that is why. I didn’t let it cool, I mixed everything together while warm. I’m going for a retry tonight! I’ll get it :)

Allison December 30, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I just tried these crackers today and they’re delicious! I love the chewy texture! I can’t wait to try them with hummus or cheese :)
Thanks for the recipe!!

mycupofteas January 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I just made these crackers and they are TO DIE FOR! thank you so so much for the recipe!

Jess @ Gluten Freesta February 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I am definitely going to try these out. Do you mind if I put a link to the recipe up on my blog?

Sasha July 13, 2010 at 5:01 am

Oh my God! I made a small batch today and WOW!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I’m notorious for not following recipes to the letter..I mean I do follow the ingredients list (mostly) but throw them in randomly.
In your recipe, I doubled the quinoa compared to rice because I wanted a protein-dense cracker. Didn’t have chia seeds. Added fresh dill, fresh coriander, and fresh mint. Also threw in a dry red chilli to up the oomph factor ;)
I seriously did not expect to get something SO SO good. I finished the entire batch in one go – it was unstoppable. I just ate nearly 450 calories in one go. So worth it!
Thank you, you’re an angel!

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit July 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Dear Angela,

I have been reading your awesome blog for about 3 weeks now but I read many many of your older posts, especially the ones regarding your green monsters, and your ‘journey’. I too have a history of a viscious eating disorder, which I am only now after over 3 years and many treatments am really recovering from, and this time ‘all’ by myself. reading blogs such as yours and books, particularly about intuitive eating, have helped me so much. For the first time since the onset of my eating disorder I can fineally see clear, I finally have a (huge) drive of taking care of myself and body, and am not at all afraid of nourishing myself anymore. funny thing: I am actually studying to become an RD and the study has helped me a lot as well (even though most people were very wary of me starting this education).

I know it has been said before but your Green Monster story was and is indeed very moving, and for me soul touching. I hope I won’t come across as corny but it’s exactly how I feel with drinking them. they symbolize a new me and a new and exciting journey. a journey of health and happiness. I can’t express in words how much respect I have for you and how proud and happy I am for you that you too have found your way, and that you inspire so many people on a daily basis to take good care of themselves and their bodies, and in that way get so much more back in return.

All my love,

Sabine

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

Thank you so much for your comment…it totally made me smile! It is good to know that you can relate to how I felt about the green monster. :) I wish you all the best in your journey!

Audrey October 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm

You are amazing, Angela. I don’t know how you do it. Your blog is one of the first healthy living blogs I ever read and one of the few I have continued reading consistently. It just keeps getting better and better. Your writing style is so personal and down-to-earth and the recipes and photography are incredible. I can’t wait until the cookbook comes out. LOL

P.S> I thought that was really funny about your husband dipping them in chocolate. Something about the way you said it just made me laugh inside. You have a great sense of humor.

Audrey October 28, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I just realized that I put my comment on the wrong cracker post. It was supposed to be on the other one. Whoops!

Carley McConkey March 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I love these crackers. I always have mine with home made hummus. They are a perfect afternoon snack.
Thanks Angela!!

Carley

Elisa April 4, 2014 at 12:42 am

Chewy crackers, never herad that before. But tried them and they’re amaying.

Thank so much for sharing, as I’ll be doing them now way more often.

Love from Germany,