Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7719 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

Brrrrrrrrr.

Its chilly.

Not Alberta chilly, but chilly.

The arrival of OSGMOM also brought Southern Ontario’s first cold snap of the Winter season. On Thursday, wind chills were around -22C (-4F). Northern Ontario was also pummeled with over 90cm of snow in some areas. Yeeps!

I sprung into Canadian Girl Survival Mode this week. Every winter she surfaces with the only mission to…

Stay.

Warm.

How do you know you are in a cold snap? Well, let me tell you:

• You run the kettle all day long, even when you already have a full pot of tea made- you always need hot water ready, ‘just in case’
  • A cold beverage isn’t even an option until at least April
  • You currently have so many blankets on your bed you wake up in a hot sweat at 5:30am
  • You sleep in long johns and start thinking they are pretty damn sexy
  • You put the space heater so close to your body your zipper melts
  • Your cat starts to sleep in the cabinet with the door closed for days on end
  • You decide that picking up your mail isn’t worth the walk down the driveway after all
  • You start eating copious amounts of soup until people start asking if you are on a special soup diet

Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Soup

This is a traditional Holiday Soup that will warm your heart and soothe your taste buds. It would be fabulous on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or even on New Years Day.

IMG 7719 thumb1   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7680 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7687 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7691 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7696 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

After we blended the cooked veggies and broth, we each had a little taste and wow was it ever magnificent!

Rich yet light, sweet yet savoury. So many complex flavours that went so well together. The little kick of lime was genius.

IMG 7708 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup IMG 7709 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG 7706 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

When my mom asked me what we could substitute for the heavy cream that was vegan, I suggested coconut milk. I thought it would go well with the sweetness from the pears and the sweet potatoes. It turned out awesome!!

IMG 7716 thumb   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

Do you have a homemade soup recipe you’d like to share? I always like trying out new ones!

The three of us have been having a wonderful visit together so far. I am just soaking up my time with my mom before she heads home on Tuesday. Family is so so important to me. I hope you don’t mind my absence from the blog over the past couple days.

As always I will be very sad to see her go. :( She has also been a huge help for the bakery this weekend, helping me package the 600+ Glo Bars I baked this weekend. Moms are the best, aren’t they? :)

Updates:

1) My CTV interview has not aired yet, but it may be on tonight’s 6pm CTV News. I was told it was going to be on this weekend and it wasn’t on Saturday, so I assume it will be tonight or latest Monday!? I will Tweet about it if I find anything out.

2) Whittle My Middle recap will be coming up shortly. I haven’t been on my computer all weekend so I will get to that this week.

I am almost caught up on my Glo Bakery holiday orders…it feels SO good! :) Today is another shipping and baking day. By the way- Healthy Holiday Lovers Variety Packs are 10% off today and tomorrow!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Call a family member you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up. Often life gets so busy that we forget what is truly important.

Angela Signature thumb13   Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans December 13, 2009

I made a curry butternut squash and pear soup the other day and it was SO good! I might have to give this one a try too! Pear is such a wonderful surprise in soup!

nicolene December 15, 2009

this soup is awesome! thanks ang!

Bronwyn December 13, 2009

Hmmm, that soup looks delicious. Though I’m not a huge pear fan. I could probably find a good substitute.

Soup is so perfect for the wintery time of year.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2009

You actually couldn’t taste the pear…it was sort of masked by the other flavours. :)

Maureen December 13, 2009

you could substitute apples they also taste good in a squash or sweet potato soup

Bronwyn December 13, 2009

Thanks for the idea.

I can see sweet potatoe sort of taking over, which is why I’d make the soup. hmmmm. love me some sweet potatoe.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 13, 2009

Yummy, that soup looks sooo yummy!! :)

VeggieGirl December 13, 2009

ANGELA!! That soup has my name on it :)

Can’t wait to see your interview when it’s available!

rebecca lustig December 13, 2009

Oh that soup looks DELICIOUS. I might have to steal that recipe off ya ;)

Stay warm, lovely!
bec xo

Lauren @ Reading and Running December 13, 2009

The soup looks delicious!

Jenny December 13, 2009

I love the way you create art with your food — so lovely, Angela!

Leah @ Simply fabulous December 13, 2009

I talked to my Dad on the phone yesterday for over an hour and i’ve been talking non stop to my family all weekend because of our big news!!! It’s been wonderful.

Like I tweeted to you yesterday… thanks for being in our circle of secret keepers!

That soup looks so good!!! I think I need to make it asap!

Nikki T December 13, 2009

From Alberta: This cold snap SUCKS!
Brrrr….

Jil December 13, 2009

So glad that you had such a wonderful time with your mom! And that soup looks absolutely divine.

Meagan December 13, 2009

Wow, that soup looks so warming!! I agree with your cold snap point 100% (even though I’m in Northern NY… not as cold as Canada!!) I have a couple to add:
-If your black and brown boots are your only two footware options
-If your back porch is filled with food as an extension of the freezer
-If the bananas stay green for a week and a half becuase they can’t ripen
-If “refreshing” is the last thing onn your mind
-If you go on a cookie crusade beacuse the oven warms the house (I don’t think this one applies to you, as your ALWAYS baking!! :-P)

Angela (ohsheglows) December 13, 2009

haha love these. Ditto on bananas not ripening… :(

D December 13, 2009

Hi! I’m not sure if you remember me, but I posted a comment last week asking for some advice. Tons of readers responded with great ideas, and I also received your email. That was honestly one of the nicest, most unexpected things ever, and I was grinning for the rest of the day because of it. Thank you for taking the time to do that, it was so nice.

I laughed out loud at your space heater comment. A few days ago I literally BURNED A HOLE through my hoodie bcause I lay it next to the heater to “warm it up” before putting it on. I currently have it propped up with a cushion and a gym shoe to get it at the perfect angle for my desk! I also have my coffee pot on a tray next to my bed so that I don’t need to even step a foot out of bed to turn it on and pour a cup…Although maybe thats only acceptable because I’m a uni student :)

TanyaS December 13, 2009

Also from Alberta: My thermometer said -37 this morning. I’m throwing on an extra sweater and baking cookies all day.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 13, 2009

Mom time is the best! I know how difficult it is to live away from family! I’m thankful that completing my grad school classes has allowed me to move closer to my mom and dad.

Chelsea December 13, 2009

Wow that looks AWESOME! I’m sorry it’s so cold there :( Do you have a heated mattress cover? Best. Thing. Ever.

Angela (ohsheglows) December 13, 2009

My Mother in law has one and she has been urging me to buy one for ages! I want to get one…maybe for Xmas??

Tammy Root December 13, 2009

I totally agree with Chelsea! Mattress warmers (and flannel sheets) are the BEST for staying warm and cozy on cold nights. :)

Pauline December 13, 2009

Another Albertan here and it is ABSOLUTELY freezing!!

The soup looks fantastic, perfect for the freezing weather!

rungirlrunn December 13, 2009

Your soup looks divine! I could realllly go for a bowl of hot soup right now!

Errign December 13, 2009

DROOL on that soup – yum!

Shelley December 13, 2009

i’m sure you get this all the time, but i just wanted to let you know that you really inspire me. you have overcome so much & when i need some inspiration through my recovery, i often resort to your blog

xoxo
shelley

One Healthy Apple December 13, 2009

I can’t fathom how cold it is there! Yikes!!

I also have to say that you are superwoman- I can’t believe all the things you accomplish in a day!

thedelishdish December 13, 2009

Angela I cant wait to try this soup!! i recently put up a post about a vegan curry lentil soup that was also really delicious & did a great job at filling me up & keeping me full :)

Ive been a huge fan of your blog for ages! love your recipes :)

OSGMOM December 13, 2009

Thank you- I will have to check out the recipe! I love me some curry!

Amanda December 13, 2009

According to your list I’m in a cold snap too! I have another for the list as well: If you don’t leave the house with less than 6 or 7 layers.

El December 13, 2009

That soup looks delicious! My favourite winter soup was pretty much created from a bunch of veggies I had lying around –
celery
pumpkin
potatoes
green beans
carrots
onions
spinach
chickpeas
garlic (lots – 4-5 cloves – it’s my flu-busting soup!)
continental parsley
veggie stock (homemade if possible)
peppercorns
bay leaves

Directions:
- Saute onions and garlic in some olive oil until soft.
- Add the chopped carrots, potato, pumpkin and celery and give a quick stir
- add veggie stock, 5-8 peppercorns and 3 bayleaves
- simmer until the potatoes are soft (they take the longest)
- add the green beans and simmer for a bit longer
- throw in the chickpeas (already cooked). I like lots of chickpeas to make it heartier – around 2-2 1/5 cups worth
- simmer for another few minutes
- at the last minute, stir through the spinach so that it wilts (again, I like lots of spinach but I never measure it) and half the continental parsley

Serve with a slice of fresh, grainy bread and sprinkly with some of the parsley.

Sorry about the lack of measurements. I really just throw everything in and hope for the best! :) This usually serves the two of us for two dinners each and a few lunches.

OSGMOM December 13, 2009

Wow this sounds fabulous! No need to apologize for lack of measurements…I am the same way when I cook.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 13, 2009

This looks delicious!!!

Jess December 13, 2009

The Alberta weather is a little sucky but I guess I’m just used to it and we’re supposed to get nice and warm next week (0C is warm to me right now, hee).

Now I just have to make it through my long run tomorrow.

OSGMOM December 13, 2009

It’s all relative right? hehe ;)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope December 13, 2009

Haha, yes I totally agree that it is just TOO DARN FREEZING lately!!! Today is a little better, but a few days ago it was -25*F with the windchill, and I thought my breath was going to freeze in the back of my throat every time I tried to breathe! Crazy!

LOVE the sound of this soup. PERFECT for these chilly days!

xxoo
Heather

OSGMOM December 13, 2009

We had the Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear soup for lunch and it is divine! I can’t wait to make it for the rest of the family during the holidays. I’m really enjoying my time with Ange. It’s going to be so sad to leave her and go back home!

Maureen December 13, 2009

If you want a soup with a few less calories leave out the coconut mike and maple syrup. To make it thick just add less broth. This also allows you to taste the flavor of the pears and potatoes which I prefer.

Jolene December 13, 2009

That soup sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

It is -34 and feels like -48 in Regina!!

Maureen December 13, 2009

My sister lives in Regina and anytime I want to feel warm in Ontario I check the temperature there, somehow it just doesn’t seem so bad here when I do.

Melinda December 13, 2009

Looks very good.

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 13, 2009

Your soup looks amazing!

I hear you on the weather. It has been cold in Winterpeg for the past week or so as well! Brutal.

amy December 13, 2009

This looks delis. Whenever I get up the energy I can’t wait to make it. I’ve been very ill with brochitis and the flu and the worst sore throat. I finally went to the doctors today and they gave me antibiotics and something to dry up the drainage. I hate taking this crap it constipates me and the constipation feeds into my eating disorder. Any suggestions Angela?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 13, 2009

what a wonderful looking soup! I love the idea of adding coconut milk :)

Ameena December 13, 2009

Oh that looks delicious! I love the pear addition.

Amy (One Thousand Steps) December 13, 2009

Wow, that soup looks delicious! I hope you’re having a great time with your mom! :)

monicaonthego.com December 13, 2009

That looks wonderful, I may just have to try it. I love soup.

Megan December 13, 2009

Your list made me laugh as a born and raised Wisconsinite, going to school in Wisconsin. The one that I laughed at the most because it actually happens was making up in a sweat because you have so many blankets on. You would think I would get used to it!

Bridget December 13, 2009

That looks so yummy :) You have so many good recipe ideas…so creative!!!

Tiffanie December 13, 2009

That soup looks really really really good. I’m soooo going to try that! :)

I can’t even begin to imagine living in such cold conditions! I’m in Orlando, and as a former Floridian yourself…how do you do it girl!!! it’s still in the 80s here!!! Now, I wouldn’t mind a bit more cooler temperatures, but nothing like you are dealing with!

Hope you stay warm and healthy!!

Lisa December 13, 2009

I know you Canadians are cold right now, but in Georgia it was 30 deg. one night and rainy, tomorrow it will be 79 its hard to get used to the changes. Here you can use your heater one day and air conditioner the next, crazy! Yep, I made a Moroccan Veggie Stew (served over couscous) last night in the crockpot. Then today made a Veggie Chilli; tis the season. I’ll have to try your soup, looks yummo. Angela, Hope you are enjoying your mom. I know you miss her.

Page 1 of 212»