Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Holiday Soup

IMG_7719

Brrrrrrrrr.

Its chilly.

Not Alberta chilly, but chilly.

The arrival of OSGMOM also brought Southern Ontario’s first cold snap of the Winter season. On Thursday, wind chills were around -22C (-4F). Northern Ontario was also pummeled with over 90cm of snow in some areas. Yeeps!

I sprung into Canadian Girl Survival Mode this week. Every winter she surfaces with the only mission to…

Stay.

Warm.

How do you know you are in a cold snap? Well, let me tell you:

• You run the kettle all day long, even when you already have a full pot of tea made- you always need hot water ready, ‘just in case’
  • A cold beverage isn’t even an option until at least April
  • You currently have so many blankets on your bed you wake up in a hot sweat at 5:30am
  • You sleep in long johns and start thinking they are pretty damn sexy
  • You put the space heater so close to your body your zipper melts
  • Your cat starts to sleep in the cabinet with the door closed for days on end
  • You decide that picking up your mail isn’t worth the walk down the driveway after all
  • You start eating copious amounts of soup until people start asking if you are on a special soup diet

Vegan Sweet Potato & Pear Soup

This is a traditional Holiday Soup that will warm your heart and soothe your taste buds. It would be fabulous on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or even on New Years Day.

IMG_7719

IMG_7680

IMG_7687

IMG_7691

IMG_7696

After we blended the cooked veggies and broth, we each had a little taste and wow was it ever magnificent!

Rich yet light, sweet yet savoury. So many complex flavours that went so well together. The little kick of lime was genius.

IMG_7708 IMG_7709

IMG_7706

When my mom asked me what we could substitute for the heavy cream that was vegan, I suggested coconut milk. I thought it would go well with the sweetness from the pears and the sweet potatoes. It turned out awesome!!

IMG_7716

Do you have a homemade soup recipe you’d like to share? I always like trying out new ones!

The three of us have been having a wonderful visit together so far. I am just soaking up my time with my mom before she heads home on Tuesday. Family is so so important to me. I hope you don’t mind my absence from the blog over the past couple days.

As always I will be very sad to see her go. :( She has also been a huge help for the bakery this weekend, helping me package the 600+ Glo Bars I baked this weekend. Moms are the best, aren’t they? :)

Updates:

1) My CTV interview has not aired yet, but it may be on tonight’s 6pm CTV News. I was told it was going to be on this weekend and it wasn’t on Saturday, so I assume it will be tonight or latest Monday!? I will Tweet about it if I find anything out.

2) Whittle My Middle recap will be coming up shortly. I haven’t been on my computer all weekend so I will get to that this week.

I am almost caught up on my Glo Bakery holiday orders…it feels SO good! :) Today is another shipping and baking day. By the way- Healthy Holiday Lovers Variety Packs are 10% off today and tomorrow!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Call a family member you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up. Often life gets so busy that we forget what is truly important.

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Erin November 25, 2015

I am in heaven right now this soup is so delicious. The pears at the grocery store weren’t ripe so I thought I would substitute pears for apples and wow what a perfect substitution! I also added a handful of cranberries and a couple dates.

Helen October 24, 2013

Quick question: Is the coconut milk in the recipe the kind in the can or the kind that you drink from the carton?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2013

Hi Helen, You can use either – if you prefer a richer broth, I suggest using the full fat canned coconut milk. Enjoy!

Melanie September 24, 2010

I made this soup and it was just so amazingly delicious! Thank you so much for your creative, yummy recipes!!!

Niki (Running in Pink) December 15, 2009

This soup looks amazing…definitely bookmarking this recipe for future use!!

Leslie December 14, 2009

The soup recipe sounds delicious! I’ll have to make some this week. :)

A soup recipe that I fell in love with recently is called the “Roasted Pear-Butternut Squash Soup” from Eating Well. It calls for crumbled stilton, but it is delicious and vegan without that.

Congrats on the CTV interview!

angela @ A Healthy Fit December 14, 2009

Mmmm, that looks yummy. I just posted a recipe for vegan chili on my site http://2bahealthyfit.com. It is the time for soups!!!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 14, 2009

oh wonderful recipe! I’m totally going to make this. I love sweet potatoes so much and this looks superiorly tasty. hehe

liane December 14, 2009

Well, I hit a few of the survival list… and I live on the West Coast… I would like to be able to say “in my defense, it’s a cold snap for us” but it’s soooo nothing like the rest of the country. Although, that doesn’t mean I also don’t have a kettle of water boiling 80% of the day, and eating copious amounts of soup…
My favourite soup is a potato soup that my mom makes… I keep “forgetting” to grab the recipe from her and end up just begging for a pot to be dropped off at my front door. And Yes, I realize that’s such a princess thing for me to do, but even if I’m 2 months shy of my 30th birthday, I’m still her baby ;)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama December 14, 2009

Wonderful looking soup!

Katherine December 14, 2009

Your CTV segment aired here in Vancouver a week ago Sunday I think? But I DID see you in your kitchen!

Carissa December 14, 2009

Your soup looks fabulous! And I love all the photos. :)

Liz December 14, 2009

Your soup looks amazing! It’s on my to-do list! I can attest that it’s flippin’ cold in Alberta. I live in Calgary and am amen-ing to your “you know it’s cold when list”. Understand how much I LOVE the weather on my “God Makes Weather That Cold?!”…haha

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 14, 2009

That is one thing I DON’T miss about Canada – the winters!! Hope you guys stay warm – soup and tea are the best when it’s cold out! Enjoy the rest of your time with your mum :O).

Tammy (Defining Wellness) December 14, 2009

I’m digging that soup recipe!

Cecilia December 14, 2009

I have a red lentil soup that’s made with garam masala and coconut milk that I love to make, because it’s so easy and quick and everyone loves it! I’ve served it to vegans and meat eaters, and I’ve yet to come across one person who doesn’t like it. This soup sounds really yummy too, I’m going to try it this week!

Mary (Food Fit & Fun) December 14, 2009

Yum!! That soup looks delicious. Soup is one of my favorite winter foods! I love this Simple Split Pea Soup…

christie, honoring health December 14, 2009

Yum, that sounds sounds delicious!

Miz December 14, 2009

damn woman.
how do you juggle it all?
THERES A POST I NEED TO SEE :)

Tania @ Moment Anew December 14, 2009

I can’t wait to try pear in my next soup!

Here’s the Squash & Apple soup I made not too long ago:

The Voracious Vegan December 14, 2009

Wow. The photos in this post are stunning, really well done! And that soup sounds so gorgeous, what a creative combination of flavors. Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Katie December 14, 2009

Wait, long john’s aren’t sexy? ;)

I eat soup almost every day in the fall and winter. My current favorite is Kabocha Sun-dried tomato soup – super flavorful and its easy to make.
2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
4 cups kabocha squash, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ t. thyme, dried
1 ¾ t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cups water
½ cup celery, diced
¾ cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup water

1. Put sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over to soften for 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Remove the tomatoes and set aside.

3. Combine onions, garlic, celery, water, tomatoes, squash, almost all of the sun-dried tomatoes, and spices in a large stock pot, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat down to simmer, and cook for 10-20 minutes. Fork test squash for tenderness. There should be no resistance. Turn off heat.

4. Puree soup with immersion blender. Leave a few chunks of squash and tomatoes, add the remaining sun-dried tomatoes and return to simmer to heat through.

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 14, 2009

“You sleep in long johns and start thinking they are pretty damn sexy” LOL you crack me up, girlie!!

That soup sounds amazzzzing, and great for this frigid weather.

I’ve missed reading your blog while I was gone in the Caribbean! I’m off to do my catching up now :D

Liz December 13, 2009

I made a turban squash soup this fall that was delicious! I’m not one for recipes or writing down what I wind up throwing in the pot, but the squash itself has really great flavor to play with.

I found your website a few weeks ago and have been reading nonstop. Great stuff! I’m trying my first GM tomorrow morning. eep.

Lisa December 13, 2009

PS- Can USA people still get your bars before Christmas; my sister in Cali had ordered some & needs more. She got excited with the accidental email thinking we had sent her some more!! (I was going to order her some.)