How To Stay Consistent With Exercise Over The Holidays

Please repeat with me:

I will NOT fall off the exercise wagon this holiday season!

The holidays are not a reason to blow off exercise until January 1st!

Tape these mantras to your wall if you have to- whatever works!

Staying consistent with exercise during the holidays is my number one tip for Staying Healthy During The Holiday Season! Exercise keeps me feeling energized, balanced, healthy, and glow-y.

Yes, glow-y!

Eric and I will be spending this Christmas with my dad in New Brunswick! Sadly, our dear Sketchie won’t be coming, but at least the in laws will be here to cat sit for us. ;)

Today, I wanted to explore what my best tips are for ensuring that my workouts don’t fall by the wayside during this busy time of the year. I will be blogging while we are away showing you how I am doing! Hopefully it will be more of ‘I rocked that workout’ rather than ‘I’m stuffing my face with vegan cookies’ lol.

Tip #1: Always pack workout clothes and sneakers

This tip is obvious, but worth stating. If you don’t have your workout clothes and sneakers you have a high chance of not working out while traveling. Who really wants to wear Aunt Betty’s old sneakers anyways? ;) Bring everything you need so there are no excuses: sneakers, socks, workout bra, tee, shorts/pants, music, hat, gloves, etc! You catch my drift.

img-3300-thumb

Tip #2: Get a pass at a local gym

This is something I have done many times in the past. I did a quick Google search and I found that there is a new gym just 10 minutes from my dad’s place- SCORE!!! I also found that they have a free week pass on their website- DOUBLE SCORE! This will be a great way to ensure that I can fit in some exercise even if there is a huge snow storm and I can’t workout outdoors. Being a born and raised Maritimer, I know how brutal the weather can be there. Often the snow banks are taller than my dad! Any Maritimers out there?

I printed out my free week and already placed it in my suitcase that I will be taking with me (nerd alert!)

IMG_7833

6a00c2252800f28e1d01098148ae63000d-500pi Tip #3: Bring a workout DVD

I will be bringing 30-Day Shred with me ‘just in case’. Who knows, I might get the whole family doing 30-Day shred together! ;) I’m not sure if my dad has hand weights, but I can always use soup cans in a pinch.

Tip #4: Plan Active outings with the family

My dad emailed me asking me if there was anything I wanted to do during our visit. These are some activities I came up with:

• Outdoor ice skating
  • Hiking/sightseeing
  • Looking at Christmas lights
  • Volunteering at a soup kitchen

I LOVE outdoor ice skating. I have very fond memories of skating on this outdoor rink in Moncton, New Brunswick. My dad used to take me all the time in the winter! I used to be a figure skater, you know. ;)

395189590_af0e18ecb6

2174679585_6c77285423

This is what it looks like in the summer:

16143231

Hopefully we can rent some skates!

Tip #5: Make a POA (Plan Of Attack)!

IMG_7830

I printed off a calendar and made an exercise POA. I will be doing a 6am workout at home on X-mas Eve (likely a 45 min treadmill hill workout + Whittle My Middle). We depart early afternoon for New Brunswick on X-mas Eve. On Christmas day, I thought ice skating with the family might be fun or an outdoor walk. On Saturday and Sunday I will try to make it to the local gym early in the morning and on Monday I might do 30-Day shred before we take off.

IMG_7831

By making a POA, I am planning to succeed, not fail. :D

Tip #6: Pack Resistance Bands

My dad uses resistance bands religiously so I am going to ask him to give me a tutorial with them as I have never used them. He just raves about them. Maybe I will have to pick up some at some point. My dad always says how great they are for traveling because they are virtually weight-less and super easy to pack!

ea-sports-active-resistance-bands

Tip #7: Involve the family

I will be dragging asking my family to workout with me. I find that often people are more than willing to join in if it is a group endeavor. They don’t want to be the odd man out and will usually come along. If they struggle I will bribe them with Glo Bars. ;)

BradyBunch

Tip #8: Have a back-up plan!

If all else fails have a back-up plan. Maybe there is no DVD player to play your workout DVD. Or maybe you are snowed in and can’t get to the ice rink or out for a walk. What’s a healthy gal to do? I always have a back-up plan up my sleeve. I will be armed with Whittle My Middle and I won’t be afraid to use it! ;) I am going to try to do Whittle My Middle twice while away. My dad doesn’t have a stability ball, so I will just sub those exercises with other ones like reverse crunches (lifting legs up to a 90 degree angle).

~~~~

So there you have it! With a little planning, an active holiday is possible! It takes a bit of work, but I like knowing that I have an exercise P.O.A. Of course it isn’t fail proof, I actually have to DO the workouts, but I figure you guys will hold me accountable, right? ;)

I may miss a workout here and there while away and that is not a big deal or something that I will stress about. I also think it is very important to be flexible, especially when traveling. I just try to do my best and not stress about it! It will be interesting to see how my plan actually pans out.

What about you- do you ever make a POA for workouts while traveling? Do you stress about it much or just wing it?

~~~~

Thursday OSGMOM is coming to visit!!!!!!!!!! I’m so excited. I haven’t seen her since June!!! It also marks the last day of Whittle My Middle. Time goes by SO fast, I can’t believe it. I’m excited for my Before and After pics + measurements. I have been whittling all month. :)

Angela_Signature

1 El December 9, 2009

I love holiday workouts! There’s nothing that makes me feel better than getting out for a nice outdoor run early on Christmas morning (it’s summer here) – there’s always something magical about it. I also take my joggers and workout clothes on every holiday I go on – even my honeymoon and my overseas trip to NZ with a group of friends. I just get up early and go for a run. There’s honestly no better way of exploring new places!

2 Tania @ Moment Anew December 9, 2009

Lots of great ideas to include fitness during the holidays! Thanks so much :)

3 Jenny @JennyLikesToRun, A teenager with a healthy lifestyle December 9, 2009

Thanks for posting this! This is EXACTLY what I needed. I’m going away for christmas and I was just starting to freak out about how I was going to fit in my regular exercise whilst away.
I will definitely be using your tips to help me keep it up :)
Thank you!

4 Bridget December 9, 2009

I usually stay home over the holidays, so I can still go to my gym and workout at home. Luckily, I manage to be consistent with my exercise routine.

If I do take a vacation, I try and walk as much as I can. I can really take in the scenery that way :)

5 The Voracious Vegan December 9, 2009

Great tips, as always! This time of year is actually easier for working out here in Saudi because it is finally cool enough to work up a sweat outside, so walking, hiking, biking, it is all in the plans. Thanks!

6 Alison @ One Lucky Monkey December 9, 2009

I’ve signed up for several local races the next few weeks and am looking for one around my mom’s house for the weekend I’m home. I think it’s an awesome idea…I ALWAYS show up if I’ve PAID, I love running with big groups, there are always new courses and trails to discover, and my friends and family can come along!

7 GirlonRaw December 9, 2009

Great post lady. I am always on the go being a Flight Attendant so I have to make sure I don’t fall off the wagon almost EVERY day. It gets tough but you have gotta want it, which I do. As for the resistance bands they are AWESOME. Great to pack when I holidays too. Gaiam have a great kit I bought from Target when I was stateside last year, including a DVD (do you have Target in Canada?) You have posted some great ideas here :)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

no Target in CAD!..major TARGET envy here! And Trader Joe envy haha

9 krissy December 9, 2009

Two more other similarities between us – my family is also from the maritimes! New Brunswick as well :) And I was a figure skater for about 15 years of my life! – seperated at birth? I THINK SO! :) hehe
Love ya!

10 Miz December 9, 2009

you know I could ramble about this forever—but I wont :)

for me its about a few things:

*do I even wanna workout this trip? or is it a chance to get in some NEAT (nonex.activ.thermogenesis) and take some active rest and let my body HEAL!

*if I choose to workout then Im like you (great tips). the biggest thing for me is if Im bringing a new workout along (bands/dvd/WHATEVER) Im always sure to have ‘practiced’ with it first at home. That way when Im wiped at 7a but thats the only time I have to workout I dont ALSO need to figure out how to DO the workout—its already second nature.

ok

Ill save the rest :)

11 MAJL December 9, 2009

Exercise is the best way to cope with jetlag. On my last two trips to Asia a week ago and Australia over the summer, each morning I did 30-45 minutes to wake me up and also to not feel guilty about moderately splurging on things that are not available at home. ;) When the hotel gym was closed, I did jumping jacks, running in place, skipping, mixed with strength exercises.

In case you don’t have a DVD or anything, Women’s Health have great short workouts that you can do without weights.

12 AGS December 9, 2009

Great post. I struggle with balancing workload and exercise, and then balancing vacation and exercise. I am definitely going to look into the option of gyms and workout DVDs (aaaaaaah — yet one more item for my to-do list!)

13 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 9, 2009

I always set my workout clothes out AND try to get it in first thing in the morning. That way I have no excuse!

14 Lesley Lifting Life December 9, 2009

Oftentimes when I go out of town for the holidays for a day or two I consider those days my “rest” days. If I’m gone for a longer period of time, I go to a local gym, or just take walks and stay active.

And I find as long as I have my holiday food in a moderate portion and stay active, the holiday’s won’t make or break me;)

15 Diane Doesn't Diet December 9, 2009

Great tips :) What level of the shred do you do?

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

2 or 3 depending on my mood!

17 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 9, 2009

I enjoyed the tips…especially the one about looking for free gym passes. I’m going to try this when I visit my sister this Christmas!

When I’m traveling somewhere, I make sure I bring my running shoes! If I bring them, I have no excuse not to take them out for a run or walk. (This obviously doesn’t apply to people who live in areas with crazy winters!)

18 Karen December 9, 2009

Great tips! I try and travel with a POA. I look for hotels with gyms and make sure to pack enough workout clothes. If I’m going somewhere I’ve been before and am familiar with and the weather is right, I will try to get in some outdoor runs.

The holidays are definitely a busy time, but it helps knowing I am getting a head start on all the people waiting to work out until after New Years!

19 Sheri December 9, 2009

Great tips!! Thanks for posting:)

20 kilax December 9, 2009

This is a great post! I am definitely bookmarking it to use on my next travels (whether holiday or not!). I usually have a PoA but don’t follow it because I don’t want to ditch family. I have been getting much better at that though! The last time family visited I went on a 4-mile run, and then we went for a walk the next day. Better than nothing!

21 Jennw December 9, 2009

Hi Angela! I’ve just recently stumbled upon your blogs and i Love it! I was so excited to find out u were from Canada and now the Maritimes!! whOoo (I’m from Nova Scotia) I’ve learned some great tips from you already and have tried out a few things! Thanks so much I can’t wait to keep reading everything and try out some more stuff : )

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

shout out to a maritimer! hehehe

23 Melinda December 9, 2009

Great tips. I always have a gym bag in the car and plenty of stuff to do at home, but I often run out of time, all year, the holidays are actually less busy for me since I teach so I get vacation here. I probably work out more consistently during this time than any other.

24 Mel December 9, 2009

Thanks for the tips Angela! I’ll be heading home to Moncton this Christmas too! My mom is planning to take my sister and I to her gym while we’re home…maybe I’ll see you there! :)
Safe travels,
Leigh

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

maybe a moncton meet up is in store???

26 Andrea@WellnessNotes December 9, 2009

I like to be at least as active on vacation as I’m at home. Most of our trips involve visiting family in San Diego, and if we are there, we do lots of outdoor activities, so I usually get enough of a workout. Plus, our relatives live in a community with a gym, so it’s easy to get in some workouts. When we go anywhere else, I like to plan like you do. Great tips!

And I agree, I think staying active is more important this time of year than any other time. It affects my mood, my energy level, and my food choices! :)

27 Hallie December 9, 2009

San Diego is COLD and rainy right now! Relatively speaking, of course…my workout schedule is all off because I can’t bear to leave my warm bed until the last minute in the mornings, so I’ve been going to the gym after work which I hate! Haha we’re such babies around here, weather-wise.

28 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 9, 2009

Great tips :-) I love making POAs, even if they’re just “walking – window shopping” when traveling, or planning early morning runs on the days I leave town, and mini-strength routines for when I am away.

29 Kate December 9, 2009

I don’t stress about it too much while on vacation. Luckily, all of my family eats healthfully, so it’s never hard to find fruit in any house we go to. My aunt and uncle have an eliptical and bike, so unless my brother and cousin are sleeping down in the basement, I usually get down there before everyone wakes up and do 45 minutes on one of those. I also make sure I stretch and do a lot of crunches a lot more than normal! If we visit my grandparents, its a lot of sitting (since they are becoming less mobile). By working out in the mornings prior to visiting with them, it helps to keep my focus on them and not on needing to move around. :)

30 Jolene December 9, 2009

To be honest … I don’t work out when I am on a trip/ vacation. I think taking a week off won’t hurt in the long run, and sometimes I need that break.

31 Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar December 9, 2009

I’m not traveling anywhere for Christmas… I want a white Christmas! No fair! =]

32 Mary December 9, 2009

Your POA is a great idea and once it’s in writing…it’s a legal-binding contract! I accompany my husband on his frequent business trips so hotel gyms are my friend. Something that I have learned throughout my life is to take one week off a year from all exercise. I usually do this when we are on a trip and business functions are non-stop. Over the years I have (finally!) learned to allow my body to rest. After a week off (except stretching exercises) I am more aware of my body’s needs. Exercise is my elixir of life and I love how it makes me feel glow-y. Merry Christmas!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

I agree…I took 2 weeks or more off exercise entirely after my second half marathon. It was kind of nice as I had never done that before!

34 melissa December 9, 2009

I never leave the house with sneakers, workout dvds, and magazine workouts in tow.

35 Britt - Runnerbelle December 9, 2009

Great post, especially as I’m about to leave and do some traveling. My bag is packed with sneakers & workout clothes, our hotel has a gym and we are going to be right next to Central Park in NYC!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

have fun!

37 Monica December 9, 2009

Fabulous post! Being prepared will definitely keep you on track.

I miss the posts where you included the foods/beverages you consumed throughout the day ):

Have fun in NB!

38 Stephanie December 9, 2009

It was funny to see you talk about Moncton because all of my step-family is from New Brunswick (St Anne) and I have been to Moncton before. I think there was a water park there?

39 Kasey (Fit For Wellness) December 9, 2009

Great tips! When I’m traveling, I make sure to plan some activities that involve some form of exercise (even if it’s just taking a long walk on the beach!).

40 Laura December 9, 2009

If you are a runner, sign up for a local race. The RR has resolution runs on either Dec 31 or Jan 1 and they are a ton of fun. I am doing a 10miler/16km on Dec 26th so I have no excuse but keep on track…though many at the Boxing Day race complain at the start line of eating too much!
If you have a neighborhood with tons of lights, that is a fun way to get out for a walk either post dinner or before hand. Ontario has a lot of great hiking trails that even make me like the snow…

41 Julie @ Wearing Mascara December 9, 2009

Such great ideas! Thank you! For the holidays, I’m going to DC to visit my bf’s family and then to St. Louis to visit some of my family. When I’m in St. Louis I plan to power walk with my mom every morning. She loves it and so do I. It’s our time to talk a mile a minute while our heart beat is high! I also plan on running and doing the 30-Day Shred as well. Another idea is (if you have Netflix) to bring your computer and do some of the work out videos on there too. I love it! Thanks again.

42 Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 9, 2009

I’m pretty sure my bf would volunteer us to cat sit . . . he just came out of the closet at work about how obsessed he is with sketchie. Even his boss has read sketchie’s blog.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

HAHAHAHAHA

44 Claire December 9, 2009

Don’t forget Valslides!!They are a great workout tools:-) cc

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2009

I want to try it!

46 Jen December 9, 2009

Paperplates work just as well as the Valslides, for a easy alternative :)

47 Ameena December 9, 2009

Resistance bands are best because they pack so easily and are so light that you can take them everywhere!

48 Pam December 9, 2009

Great post and the park looks so cool!…no pun intended..lol! have fun and enjoy!

49 Anne Marie @ New Weigh of Life December 9, 2009

Thanks for the tips! They are always so helpful!

50 Angie (Losing It and Loving It) December 9, 2009

Great ideas and tips. Hubby and I will be in Jamaica over the holidays and do plan on working out as usual but really no POA so we’ll wing it. Probably will work out to be even more than normal because the resort has a huge sports complex and we’ll try to take their spin classes a few days and use the elliptical in the mornings. Plus we’ll do things we don’t usually do like play tennis, snorkel, swim, walk the beach, etc. So excited!

I am going to throw one of my resistance bands in my suitcase but I’m sure they have them there. Next Thurs. will be Day 30 for me on your Whittle My Middle challenge. It’s been fun!

51 Cait (Cait's Plate) December 9, 2009

I loved this post! I vow not to fall off the exercise wagon right along with you!

Every morning when your posts pop up on my google reader it bring such a smile to my face! I wish you could comment through google reader because by the time I get through all my new items I forget to go back and comment on people’s sites!

Just wanted to let you know I’m reading right along with you every day! :D

52 MJ December 9, 2009

Hi Angela!

I just recently discovered your blog (after I read the DailySpark article) and I love it :o) I really like your posts and read them everyday. It keeps me motivated to become more healthy and fit and it also makes me want to cook different meals. Now I can’t wait to try new recipes!

When I saw the picture of the outdoor rink (before I read the post) I thought it looked just like the one in Moncton…And it was! I work in Moncton and I live about an hour away :o)

Have a great time in NB!

53 skinnyrunner December 9, 2009

i LOVE your tips! this is exactly what i need because we’re going to houston, the land of fried food and no exercise, and i always seem to fall off the wagon. hard.
thanks!

54 Haleigh December 9, 2009

I love exercising during the holiday season! Long walks in the snow and it is so exhilarating to go ice skating outside of my parents in law’s house on the lake.

55 Sarah December 9, 2009

I have 30 Day Shred and whenever I am busy or feel overwhelmed..I just make sure I do that and feel like I got a short sweat sesion in. It’s such a great, quick workout!

56 Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion December 9, 2009

Great tips, Angela! I know we all struggle with this!

57 Sarah December 9, 2009

I was so pumped to read your blog today because I spent my childhood skating at the Centential Park outdoor rink too! Love that place. I was a figure skater growing up as well.

And I’m also going home to Moncton for the holidays!

58 Jenn December 9, 2009

Holla for my NB girl. Have a super time. Wish I was going there too. My Mom and Dad are in Fredericton and they have snow!!!! Centennial Park – I loved that place when I was little. My Aunt and Uncle live in Moncton and I used to spend A LOT of my summer vacations there with them.

I think I told you before that I was a figure skater in NB, but I’m a few years older than you so we probably weren’t competing at the same time. Went to many competitions in Moncton and Dieppe through the years. Good times.

Great idea to have a POA for vacation. I think I’ll make my own POA for the holidays even though I’m not travelling. It will help to keep me on track and not get lazy or complacent.

59 Jenn December 9, 2009

Funny….lots of NB figure skaters congregating here. ;)

60 Janna December 9, 2009

Fabulous post Angela! Love the tips.

I’m not a Maritimer, but I’m from Winnipeg, so I know ALL about tall snowbanks and horrible weather!

Usually my family vacations somewhere warm for 2 weeks during the holidays. I usually work out a fair amount (runs on the beach, swim, exercise room at the hotel) but I find not eating as healthy, that’s something I need to work on!

61 Jackie @ TriToLose December 9, 2009

Great tips! My sisters keep me really motivated when they’re home from school. I can’t wait for them to come back for Christmas. :)

62 Stephanie J December 9, 2009

Great tips! You’re so right on all these points. You have to plan for success!

Ice skating is such a good workout. Too bad we don’t get ice in Texas. Or, you know, cold weather. I’m from MN so I really miss this!

I always pack workout clothes when I head home because I know I can’t borrow from anyone else. The change in scenery motivates me to workout but just knowing all the holiday foods I’ll be consuming is a workout motivator as well. :)

63 Amanda@thegrainsofparadise December 9, 2009

Thanks so much for the great post! I’ve been so lazy these days…..must get cracking!! Aloha:-)

64 Kelly December 9, 2009

I thought I was the only person who made sure the exercise gear made it on vacation. My husband and I take motorcycle trips and I make sure I have room for my gym shoes and clothes. I can’t bring bands or anything else because space is VERY limited on the bike. But I make sure I have the bare necessities to get me through.

65 Michelle December 9, 2009

How intense is the Jillian Michael’s dvd workout?

66 Sue December 9, 2009

My family is coming to my house this year. My sis, hubby & I are planning to head to the gym on the 24th and either gym or skating on the 26th (Great opportunity when Grandma is here to babysit!). I am off work until the 4th, so I see this as a great chance to get to the gym and a nice change from getting up a 5:00 do do my workouts like I do when I am working.

Enjoy the holidays!

67 Lauren December 9, 2009

I am asking Santa :) for the 30 day Shred for Christmas!!! Would you recommend level 3?

68 Jessica P December 9, 2009

Great tips! Too bad I’ve already been way off the exercise wagon- I need to get back on soon!

69 Susan December 9, 2009

Where in NB will you be? I’ll likely be in all three of the bigger cities – Fredericton, Saint John, and Moncton, at some point over the holidays. I’ve got family in all and live in Fredericton. If our schedules/location match, we should get together!

I always get passes for the gym at home. And I make it very clear to my family that for “these hours” I will be there and not to schedule anything else for me to do during that time. They’re pretty good about it, and sometimes my mom or sisters will even come with :)

70 lz December 9, 2009

Angela, thank you for the tips! It does help to have a clear plan of attack. Your skiing destination looks absolutely breathtaking! I hope you have a fantastic time!

71 Laura Georgina December 9, 2009

I’m definitely setting a plan of action! I’m going to see what the family is doing and then schedule runs and strength training for three mornings a week. I’m also planning on getting people out for walks, and we are going to ice-skate until we get graceful (or one of us breaks something). I feel like I need to set a good example for my younger sisters–and I want to show them how the oldie rocks it!

72 Pure2Raw Twins December 9, 2009

Great tips for staying fit while traveling. We definitely do some of the things you mentioned. Planning is always key for us :) Though sometimes we just wing it and go with the flow, try to walk as much as possible if traveling to a new city instead of car or bus,etc. Stressing over not working out while traveling is a thing we need to work on : )

73 Diana December 9, 2009

I used to be a figure skater too! :)

74 Trail December 9, 2009

Love the ideas, and packing a resistance band is brilliant! They are so small and lightweight, but I’d never thought of it before. Thank you! I always try to pack everything I’ll need too, but a lot of times a quick resistance workout is the easiest way to fit it in. Push ups, sit ups, stretches, etc can all be done in tight quarters when you first wake up and before you go to bed if you’re with anti-exercise family like I was last year. I will definitely be packing a resistance band from now on though!

75 Lindsay December 9, 2009

aww Angela I had no clue you were a Maritimer!! I should have known with how sweet of a person you seem to be :)
I’m from Bedford, NS (right outside Halifax) but I’m now living in Boston. Biiig difference! No 4 lanes of highway in NS lol. Are you from Moncton???

76 Lindsay December 9, 2009

Oh and ex-figure skater here too :) I think every kid in the Maritimes has either been a figure skater, hockey player, or ringette player :)

77 Sarah December 10, 2009

I definitely have a plan! We are being given a temporary membership to the YMCA over our Christmas break from work and I have already printed off their schedule and added some of the classes to my calendar :)

78 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 10, 2009

I did not prepare well enough to see my sister, luckily it was only for a couple days but I made a lot of rookie mistakes and paid for them! I love the over-planning, because it’s not over-planning it’s totally necessary! I know that now more then ever! :)

79 Pallavi December 24, 2009

Oh this is very nice post and happy to know about great fitness ideas and i love that Pack Resistance Bands. I like exercise and fitness related blogs. Exercise plays a great role to keep our body fit. Even if i talk about my brother, he used to go gym and do ab workouts and you know i really feel his body in good shape. Here i would like to tell about ab workouts.me that helps my brother to get six pack abs in 2 months or less. I find it very interesting and it works for everyone.I am really thankful to abworkouts.me that makes my brother looks perfect.