This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 24, 2009

IMG_7090

Last week when I asked you to send in your favourite Thanksgiving recipes that you wanted veganized, a certain email from Julianna spoke to me:

Hey Angela,
This is a famous recipe that has been in our family for generations. Our family calls it the Senator Russell after some Senator in Georgia a long time ago. It’s very Southern and delicious.
As the token vegetarian (and most days vegan except for honey and occasional greek yogurt) in my Southern family I would love a way to make this so that I could enjoy it as well.

I knew that I had to try out my first vegan sweet potato casserole. My mom has been making sweet potato casserole ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper and it is a treat that I always enjoyed! I was determined to make a vegan sweet potato casserole that would taste delicious.

Out of respect for Julianna’s family, I am not going to post their recipe on here, but I will tell you some ingredients that I chose to do without: eggs, white sugar, butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar, white flour.

My first attempt was a huge and utter epic failure. It tasted good, but the texture was not up to par. Too much liquid. But I knew that could be easily resolved.

Last night, I jumped into my car at 10pm and booted it to the grocery store to buy more sweet potatoes. From 10:30-midnight, I was working on attempt #2. How is that for dedication?!

This morning I popped the casserole into the oven…and voila, my friends. Magic happened. Second time is a charm. ;) Not to mention I got to photograph in natural light which is always superior!

IMG_7154

IMG_7119

IMG_7122IMG_7128

Note:

1) You can add marshmallows if you’d like (Dandie’s brand are vegan). I thought it was fine without any though.

IMG_7156

How did it taste?

JACKPOT!!

This sweet potato casserole is a big winner in my books! Both the sweet potato mixture and the sweet spelt topping was utterly divine. I did not miss the marshmallow topping, in fact I liked this one better.

I cut down the sugar by over half. I really DID NOT miss the 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 T of maple syrup that I cut out. It was still very sweet. I actually can’t imagine having it any sweeter than it already was. It was ‘just right’ in my opinion and isn’t going to give you a tummy ache. ;)

IMG_7138

I also removed the pecans because I didn’t have any. I actually mixed in some chia seeds into the topping! The best thing about this dish is that you can adapt it to however you’d like it

We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

natalie @ nono2yoyo November 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! I love holiday recipes! I also love learning new ones and trying them out! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for your help with Project Feed Me too! You’re awesome!!! xoxo nat

Ameena November 24, 2009 at 11:57 am

Trying a new recipe at 10:30?? You have such dedication! Looks delicious!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 24, 2009 at 11:59 am

This is awesome! Can’t believe you veganized it and it looks delicious! :)

Dori November 24, 2009 at 12:00 pm

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. Sweet potato casserole is my obsession and I live for it all year long. This version looks AMAZING and I NEEEEED to make it. You have no idea how much I need this. This is my favorite post of yours ever.

Christie @ Honoring Health November 24, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I have been wanting to make over my mom’s sweet potato casserole and this looks like it would do the trick!

Courtney November 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

YAY! This looks awesome and I’m no where near vegan or even vegetarian. My first intro to sweet potatoes was in a buttery, sugary casserole a few thanksgivings ago at my hubby’s family thanksgiving. I since then have learned to appreciate the sweet potato unadorned, or with hummus or beans on it. But I think this is something I would make and enjoy!
Thanks!
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

Julianna November 24, 2009 at 12:12 pm

BALLER!

I am thankful for this recipe! I can’t wait to try it out!

THANK YOU!! :) It was totally worth the anticipation :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Angela, this looks delicious! I think I may make this for Turkey Day!

Claire November 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Yum!!! and dairy-free…perfect:-) cc

krissy November 24, 2009 at 12:20 pm

HOLY YUM!!!!! I am SO trying this – my mouth is watering looking at your pictures :) hehe I love recipes that our Non-vegan family members can’t complain about – this will certainly be one of them :)
Thanks for adapting and posting the recipe!
xoxo love you doll!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner November 24, 2009 at 12:20 pm

That looks awesome! I may just make it for a regular dinner :-)

Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm

looks amazing! Love that you cut the sugar, too — Nice work, Ange!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner November 24, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Also I don’t know if you saw this article…

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness November 24, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Great quote from Emerson! He’s one of my favorite quotable philosophers.

Thanks for this recipe, it sounds super yummy! Can’t wait to try it out :-)

Nicole November 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

YUMMY!!!

Jill November 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Thanks again for helping me get the word out, Angela. We’ve raised $30 so far, but I know that we can get $500 by the end of the day!

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 24, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Glad it was a success! I think I’m going to have to try your recipe :)

Melinda November 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Looks great. We are using my mother in laws recipe for ours that we plan to bring to a party so I hope it goes well. No marshmallows for me either.

Erin November 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Oh my god, this looks amazinggggg! I love the crust. How you manage to look so fabulous and eat meals like this all the time is such a testament to your focus, drive, and healthy living philosophy!! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Great recipe! I am so happy to see you not use sugar! you know me…I think sugar is the enemy! ;) Natural baby!

Laura Georgina November 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm

That dish is so pretty I could lick the computer screen. I think I may have to give the family thanksgiving sweet potatoes and peaches casserole (oops, my southerner is showing) a makeover based on this and mash it all up just so I can add the topping…

Gillian November 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I have never tried ANY form of a sweet potato casserole before (my fam was never big on any casserole type dish actually) – but this I think I must try!!!

Janna November 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm

wow does that ever look good.

your recipes continue to impress me! keep them coming!

Julie @savvyeats November 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I really wish my parents weren’t already set on their sweet potato dish for Thursday, because I would totally make this instead. Though, they sweet potatoes mashed with bananas and topped with strudel that we’re having are good too….

I’ll be putting this on our Christmas menu, though :)

Tiffany S. November 24, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Oh yum – I would eat that for dessert!

Happy un-Turkey Day!

Jil November 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I’ve never had a sweet potato casserole before, as I usually prefer my sweet potatoes with a more savory topping — like hot sauce!– but that looks SO good. I will have to try it at some point. :)

Eve November 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Hey Angela, I know you live near(ish) Toronto, and there’s a little all-vegan store there called Panacea that sells sweet and sara marshmallows! Maybe for your next sweet potato casserole? :)

Jenna November 24, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Sweet potato casserole is a very, very big weakness of mine. This looks great!

Katie November 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm

YUMMY! I may actually like that sweet tator casserole. You do a great job veganizing these and we really do appreciate it!

Sarah November 24, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I’m super impressed by your dedication and amazing recreation of that sweet potato casserole!

[email protected] November 24, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Oh my gosh Angela! That looks insane! On my “to do” list for sure now :-) Aloha!

Paige (Running Around Normal) November 24, 2009 at 4:08 pm

That looks and sounds amazing! I wouldn’t know what to compare it to, though – I’ve never had the real deal either!

Lauren Modeen November 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I am making this on Thanksgiving day for my whole freaking family. WOW!!!!

Ingunn November 24, 2009 at 6:43 pm

My husband found vegan marshmallows from Dandies Candies that actually melt(!), so last night we made s’mores: http://www.flickr.com/photos/snutur/4131281751/

They were delicious, but I couldn’t find any big graham crackers that didn’t have HFCS and/or trans fats. Lame.

Rachel November 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I love ANYTHING sweet potato, so this is definite temptation! Most of all, thanks for leading me to the Fat Free Vegan blog. My, oh my, I might be here for hrs. :S

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) November 24, 2009 at 7:03 pm

This looks deliicous! Perfect…I was looking for some vegan recipes to make for Thanksgiving!

Kate November 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

That looks so delish and I’m not even a big casserole fan!

Potatoes are just sooo sooo comforting anytime of the year. I’m really enjoying new pototoes as the moment as it’s summer time here in New Zealand!

Trainerpack November 24, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Yum yum yum yum!

Sweet Cheeks November 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm

WOW. that looks uh-mazing! Awesome job OSG!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 24, 2009 at 11:01 pm

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. I feel like sweet potato casserole is one of those things that is always loaded with calories and fat, but shouldn’t be! It’s nice to see a healthy alternative.

Danielle November 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm

That looks so good! I think I’m going to have to make your pumpkin and sweet potato pie at some point this holiday season. Thank you so much for doing this :)

Kasey (Fit For Wellness) November 24, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Sweet Potato Casserole is my favorite dish at Thanksgiving!!!

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness November 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Looks like a great recipe! I think it’s great that you are showing that there are lots of alternatives!!!!
I sent you an email a few days ago about your glo-bars… I hope you got it!!! :)

Ami November 24, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Thought you might like this, it’s my big brother’s vegan Thanksgiving song: http://mchatton.com/2009/11/the-happy-vegan-thanksgiving-s/

I love your site! Much love & Enjoy!

healthy ashley November 25, 2009 at 12:09 am

Oh. my. gosh.

From the looks of this dish I would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Jolene November 25, 2009 at 12:18 am

I don’t know how you do it – but all your recipes look SO amazing, and moist, and delicious, and all around perfect! I cannot wait to be done school (3 more weeks) so that I can make them all!!!!!!!!

lynn @ queenofthecastlerecipes November 25, 2009 at 12:34 am

This looks really good, especially with the maple syrup. Yum :)

Kristina November 25, 2009 at 2:27 am

Angela, you SO rock. I love your dedication to this, and it looks AMAZING !!!

Happy Turkey (tofurkey!!) day,

Kris

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? November 25, 2009 at 4:19 am

That pie looks awesome! I’ve never eaten pumpkin casserole before but I bet it is good :).

Jenna November 25, 2009 at 10:31 am

i can’t wait to make this! it looks so good angela!!

Tiffanie November 25, 2009 at 10:35 am

Holy Moly Angela! That sweet potatoe casserole looks AWESOME! I’m so going to the store today (again) to pick up some sweet potatoes! Woo hoo!!! You don’t know how excited I am to be able to bring this vegan dish with me and no one will be the wiser!

This is my first Thanksgiving as a Vegan, and no one in my family even knows I’ve gone vegan (well, except my husband obviously :) ) and I’m still not sure I want to blurt it out, just want them to see the proof in the pudding that you can be vegan and EAT really really good food, and look good in the process! :)

Tina November 25, 2009 at 10:41 am

Oh my gosh that looks amazing!!! Thank you for this awesome recipe!

Stephanie November 25, 2009 at 12:52 pm

This looks unreal!!

JenP November 25, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Perfect timing, too. I just made it to take to the in-laws tomorrow. The filling is delicious!

Stef November 25, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I adapted this one for Thanksgiving this year. The sweet potato mash tastes awesome! Reduced the maple syrup, upped the soy milk, and added fresh ground black pepper. Enough to satisfy anyone, vegan or not! :-) Thanks

Ann November 26, 2009 at 9:19 am

THis looks great- my sis is lactose intolerant and her hubby is vegan- so this will fit the bill- can’t wait, but have to go to the store for non dairy products before they close for Thanksgiving!

Melissa November 26, 2009 at 8:28 pm

We tried this today. It was delicious! My husband said it was very easy to make.

Annie November 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm

This was a total hit at my table! I’m the only real healthy eater in my family and everyone was so impressed that this wasn’t as decadent as it seemed! Thanks for the wonderful recipe :)

Katie December 9, 2009 at 10:58 am

Hey!

This is completely random… I added your blog to my google reader yesterday (and I shall be ordering some bars soon!) and scrolled through the posts. This casserole caught my eye, looks delish! Anyway, this morning I read a post on http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ where she mentions vegan marshmallows. I remembered being disappointed to read that you couldn’t find any so I thought I would point you toward her blog in the hope’s you can find some of these vegan marshmallows. Random good timing on my reading through some of your old posts!
Katie

bobbi December 23, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I am making this for Christmas DINNER!

Sat December 25, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Made this last night for our big Christmas Eve dinner and it was delicious. The chia seeds were a nice touch (luckily they had them at our local food co-op).

Rebecca September 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm

That looks delicious :) It even kind of looks like pumpkin pie almost! A great autumn dinner :)

Melanie October 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm

This looks amazing! Could you please sugges a gluten free flour that I could use as a substitute? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hmm I’m not too sure. Anyone know?

sayble November 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Oat flour tends to be fine for those that have a gluten intolerance, otherwise I would use buckwheat flour, which is 100% gluten free and acceptable for those with Celiac.

Jenn October 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Just made the casserole, putting it in the fridge all made up and will put in the oven tomorrow morning. From what I have been taste testing I can’t wait for the finished product. Super quick and easy to put together. My topping wasn’t really a “crumble”, more smooth, I think too much earth balance. Added a little more flour to hopefully stiffen it up a little. Still tastes wonderful though!!

Jenn October 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Turned out PERFECT!!!

Janette July 31, 2012 at 9:00 am

This looks GREAT! I’ve always thought sweet potatoes were awesome by themselves and that traditional sweet potato casseroles masked the wonderful flavor of the main ingredient. I am allergic to eggs so not having to alter the recipe is a bonus. My 4yr old son will love this. We try to eat a rainbow every day and according to him, orange foods are more fun. :-)

Meghan October 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This was delicious and easy to make, thanks so much for posting it! My idea of success is when meat-eaters love it as much as I do and this was a success :)

Heather November 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hi Angela,

I made this casserole and it was a total hit with my friends. The only part that I had trouble with was the amount of sweet potatoes. I ended up with about half the amount of casserole (which made it even sweeter and more dessert-like) because the potatoes were too small. Could you write in the approximate weight of the sweet potatoes? I really enjoy reading your posts and trying your recipes. I’ve probably made about half of them in total, so far and they are always popular with my husband. Thanks!

Bette Stewart November 16, 2012 at 7:58 am

What is Earth Balance? I’m new to this site and have never heard of it.

sayble November 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

It is a company that makes organic and vegan products, I have their soy butter and it tastes pretty good!

Jeffrey Carvish November 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I am going to attempt this and add cranberry raisins to the mixture for added texture. Another addition you could use is chopped Granny Smith apples. This is definitely a recipe you can have fun with. You can use agave nectar as well in place of maple syrup. It is low on the glycemic index.

Pamela November 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

mmmmmm, how I wish I could have some right now! But since I’ve already bought butternut squash and not sweet pots, do you think the switch would work the same or would it be too wet from all the liquid in the squash? Thanks for another divine recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

That’s a great question and I’m not sure, but I guess it couldn’t hurt to try! Maybe if you think it will be too liquid-y you could try adding a bit of cornstarch or arrowroot powder to absorb the water? Let me know how it goes if you try it out.

Lauren November 21, 2012 at 10:42 am

HI! I would love to try the recipe! But I have one little question that i hope can be answered before my attempt later today. I know, asking a lot but thought I would ask just incase you read this today…
You stated that you cut the sugar and maple syrup in half. Did you mean half of what you wrote for the ingredient measurement list, or is that already halved. Meaning, you wrote 1/2 cup of sugar, is that already halved or should I further half it from there to use only 1/4 cup? Thanks again!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hey Lauren, The amount stated in the recipe is the amount I used. I hope this helps!

Rhianon November 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I am headed to my grandparents’ house for thanksgiving tomorrow, and I know the kitchen will be crowded. Do you think it would work as well if I pre-mixed all the ingredients today, refrigerated it, and then baked it at my grandparents’ place tomorrow? Would love to know, because this looks delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 11:31 am

I havent tried that myself but I can see why it wouldnt work! Let me know how it goes.

Valerie November 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I just wanted to thank you for this recipe- in searching for a vegan but still decadent tasting sweet potato casserole, I came across this and had to try it for Thanksgiving. I used about the same tweaks you did, except I kept the pecans. It was simple to make and amaaaazing to eat, smelled wonderful while it baked and my whole omnivore family gobbled it up. Thank you for a vegan version of an old favorite that had all the flavor of the original versions!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012 at 10:23 am

Im so happy to hear that Valerie!

Tori November 24, 2012 at 12:47 am

This was amazing! Was so nice to have a sweet potato dish that wasn’t swimming in loads of sugar like typical sweet potato dishes during the holidays. Everyone at my Thanksgiving table loved it! Since I didn’t have maple syrup, I used Agave Nectar and it worked great! For the topping I ended up using quinoa flower and added some applesauce to moisten it a little bit… thank you for a great recipe, I will definitely make it again! :)

Lauren November 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

I made this for Thanksgiving this year. WOW! Super delicious! Everyone absolutely loved it and had seconds! Big surprise to everyone that it was vegan! Thanks for the great recipe!

Star December 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I made this Sweet Potato casserole last night. It was delicious. I am not a fan of pecans but I told myself it didn’t matter. Your recipes are incredible and I knew if it called for pecans then it had to have them. It was sublime. Soft and flavorful with a mildly, beautiful crunch from the sweet pecan topping. My family loved this dish. I am amazed at the healthy vegetables I am able to feed my children ( w/the help of your recipes) without them taking notice and spitting it back out. The classic Green Monster is also a regular on the menu in my kitchen. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in posting your recipes online. I don’t know where I would be on my path toward being a vegan if I hadn’t stumbled upon your blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Hi Star, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! It warms my heart to read about how much you enjoy the blog. Thank you for trying the recipes!

Susan December 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi,
I made this casserole with modifications this past Thanksgiving. My son just called and asked for the recipe so he could take it a company Christmas party.
My daughter has “food issues” and starting with a vegan recipe makes it much easier to cook for her.
First, I didn’t thoroughly read the recipe and tossed the potatoes in the oven and baked them. This can help cut down on the amount of water in the potatoes and it can be done a day or two in advance. Just put them in the refrigerator until needed. This is supposed to increase the flavor as well.

Next, I cut back on the sweetener. I used just 2 Tbsp. of maple syrup. I, also, added 2 Tbsp. of tapioca flour to help it set a little more. I assembled the casserole the day before, covered it and put it in the refrigerator. I brought it up to room temperature before baking.

On the topping I cut back the brown sugar to 1/4 cup. Since my daughter cannot have nuts, I used 3/4 cup of oatmeal and 2 Tbsp. of chia seeds, as well as, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free flour. But, I stuck with the Earth Balance spread. I had all the ingredients ready to be assembled and made the topping just before baking. It came out nice and crispy with a creamy “pudding” underneath.
Everyone loved it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hi Susan, Thanks for your amazing feedback on the recipe! Im so glad that it turned out for you.

Elden May 6, 2013 at 6:15 am

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to send you an email.
I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yes please see my press page – thanks!

lauren September 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I made this recipe with regular butter, walnuts instead of pecans, and half a recipe’s worth for half the cooking time. It worked beautifully. I also threw in one banana while I was mashing the sweet potatoes and a touch of honey. I liked that this recipe had no eggs! Thanks for having such a simple, healthy recipe to base mine off of. I would recommend this!

Heather October 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hi Angela,
I have made this recipe multiple times before and have loved it! I will be travelling over the holidays this year and wanted to bring this dish with me. Have you ever frozen it and then reheated it? If so how did it turn out?
Thanks!

Keri November 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I just made this dish for the first time for a party since we have a vegan friend, and everyone raved about it for hours. Thank you so much for the amazing recipe! I will make it again, even if there are not vegans to cook for it was that good!

Susie Bondi November 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Next time you make this wonderful recipe, try adding little orange juice and 1/2 cup bourbon! That was my late Mother’s recipe, and it is classic in my family! Except of course Mom added eggs and I don’t!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2013 at 7:50 am

I love that idea, thanks!

Katie November 26, 2013 at 8:13 am

Can’t wait to make this for thanksgiving!! I was thinking I would sub coconut sugar for the Brown and gf oat flour for the white. Do you think that would be ok? I’m new to vegan cooking and not always sure about subs. Thanks so much!!! I love your blog. Can’t wait for the book.

Faith November 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Cooking my sweet potatoes for this now! Realized I only have a 2.5-qt casserole dish. Will it still work? What adjustments should I make?

Karen November 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm

How did you cook the sweet potatoes? Boil, microwave, bake?

Marissa Marquez November 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Can you make this with New Jersey sweet potatoes?

Heather November 28, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This turned out amazing!! Sooooooo good, definitely making it again.

Meghan-Rose November 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Just made this recipe for the second year in a row for American Thanksgiving. It’s so good, especially since I make roasted (and not mashed) potatoes! Gotta have that mashed consistency somewhere :)

Rachel November 29, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thank you for posting this recipe! This was everyone’s favorite dish this thanksgiving!

Kristy Spain December 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Dear Angela, I have to tell you I really love your website, and recipes, and the first recipe I made from this site was your famous “ Pumpkin Pie with Gluten-Free Sweet & Salty Spiced Pecan Crust.” That was the first pie I ever made from scratch, and it turned out so well that I had to come back and try another recipe, and I am so happy I did.

Your Sweet Potato Casserole was the 2nd homemade vegan recipe I made from Oh She Glows, and this turned out fantastic. In fact, I brought some leftover, and I am eating it at my desk as I type this e-mail. I followed the directions exactly, and it took some time with all of the steps, and in the end it turned out great. I made this for Thanksgiving day, and three of the folks who tried it claimed they didn’t like sweet potatoes, but they loved the Sweet Potato Casserole. I will make this again, and this is a great dish to take for a party. ;)
Thank you so much for taking time to share with everyone! This is really wonderful!!
Kristy Spain

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’m so happy to hear this Kristy!! Thank you so much for letting me know and for trying it out :) Happy holidays!

Raya December 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Try this recipe today! :) Sooo yummy!

Jennifer March 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Do you think I could substitute coconut oil for the earth balance??

Jenna November 6, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Late reply- but I’ve made this with coconut oil a few times and it works very well! I think I prefer it actually, it goes so well with sweet potatoes.

Heather October 14, 2014 at 8:47 am

This sweet potato dish was amazing!!

Kim October 27, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’ve never made sweet potato casserole before. How and when would you incorporate the marshmallows?

claudia November 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Hello,
Can one USE earth Balance CoCONUT SPREAD? instead of the earth balance BUTTERY spread?

claudia November 20, 2014 at 11:28 am

update: i used EB cocunut spread and raw sugar, my cassorole did not come out looking like OH SHE GLOWS cassorole but regardless, everyone at the potluck enjoyed it.

Patty Poietai November 25, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Although I understand that you need ads to finance your website, I’m one of many people who cook and listen to music/television at the same time. The ads that you have (video and audio) encroaching on your site are distracting, aggravating and (above all) deterring. I really don’t fancy your site at all and this is perhaps the second time I’ve used it. I also work in a tech department, so please don’t attempt to tell me it’s a problem at my end.
Thanks.
Not satisfied.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2014 at 1:26 pm

hi patty,
there shouldnt be any ads with audio (we have them blocked!), that being said these ad networks sometimes mess up. we only see the ads run here in Canada. Please email adinquiries(at)ohsheglows[dot]com with the name of the ad (brand) and we’ll have it removed. thank you.

Andria November 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

What flour do you recommend for a gluten free version?
I have Oat and Almond currently in my pantry. :D Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Elisia December 11, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Hi Angela, I’m excited to make this recipe for my family this Christmas and am wondering for times sake if any of this can be prepped in advance without sacrificing texture or taste? Thanks!

dee October 10, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Does anyone actually try these recipes- it’s sort of bizarre to have all the responses (including this one) but not about the final product-its deceiving when one is looking for positive reviews and nobody has made it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 10:02 am

Hi Dee, I recommend looking at the final pages of the comments – those are the most recent ones and often include reviews. Hope this helps!

Kris November 25, 2015 at 8:58 am

I’ve made this probably 4 times now and it’s turned out perfectly each time, it’s my favorite vegan casserole recipe. I think all of the recipes on this site are spot on!

NA September 17, 2017 at 9:33 am

I agree that it is sometimes frustrating… I posted a comment below (2 years later) so if you have not tried this I recommend you do because for a person like myself who is the queen of messing up recipes, this was out of this world and sooooooo easy to do… totally worth the effort and you will have others drooling!

Kris November 25, 2015 at 8:56 am

I’ve made this many times and LOVE it!! Going to make it for Thanksgiving tomorrow, too. But I thought I’d make them in little individual dishes. Any ideas how to adjust the cooking temp or time (if at all) So they cook the same?

Jill November 27, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Quick note for anyone wanting to make this ahead – I found this comment on another part of the site: “You can prepare it (without cooking) the day before (and place in the fridge), bring to room temperature, and cook it 45 mins before dinner is served.” I’m assuming that means including putting the topping on it, and refrigerating the whole thing. I’ll be doing that at Christmas. FYI!

Tara December 26, 2016 at 12:28 am

I just made this as my contribution to my family’s Christmas dinner and it was a hit! The only thing I changed was sunflower seeds to replace the pecans (my niece has nut allergies). Delicious! I think this will be making regular appearances at family holiday meals. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Anne April 24, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I assume that the Earth Balance called for in the topping is butter?

Angela Liddon April 26, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Yep, you got it, Anne! Earth Balance is a vegan butter.

NA September 17, 2017 at 9:29 am

I stumbled across this recipe while I was looking for something different for breakfast and I had sweet potatoes around. amazing!!!
I love how versatile this recipe is. See below-
I had 4 leftover baked sweet potatoes in the refrigerator that were 2 days old and measuring them it came to the equivalent of tripling the recipe. So I peeled them, mashed them and
bravely triple the recipe. I did put it in a larger pyrex baking dish and had to cook it longer and despite not quite knowing how to use the broiler ( mine does not have a hi low setting and I could not find the serial number to look up how it worked) this was soon delicious. It was softer not so solid but it was soon good! Wow!
I also did not have chia seeds so I used ground flaxseed instead and it still turned out amazing.
I had vanilla bean powder that I used instead of the vanilla extract.
Because I was scrambling around looking for sugar and could only find some old turbinado sugar, I only doubled instead of tripled the brown sugar in the topping but again still sumptuous! Will need to make sure I have some sucanat around for next time.
The main part of the dish, oats and sweet potato part were so tasty even before baking and even without the topping. The topping just added that much more zing! party in my mouth.
Just like the author said this is sooooo good cold or warmed up the next day.
I added frozen unsweetened cranberries and raspberries (1.5 cups) that i briefly heated on the stove and mashed a little and added it to the cold leftovers in a bowl with some soymilk and oh my word… i was in heaven thinking I was eating a fabulous cobbler.
Wow… home run… thank you thank you thank you!!!!