Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

Hello there!

Look at the gloomy and foggy weather we are having…

IMG 6942 thumb   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

Also note, all the leaves are now off the trees… :(

Missed Part 1: Breakfast?

This calls for some comfort food!

Here are my delicious vegan eats for my lunch today…

IMG 6899 thumb   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

‘But How Do You Get Protein?’ Vegan Couscous Pita

Yes, I blatantly stole that name from Dreena Burton’s recipe in Eat Drink and Be Vegan. ;) Love it.

• High protein pita
  • 1.5 cups couscous (thanks to Caitlin for inspiring me to try couscous, I’m now obsessed!)
  • 1/2 cup homemade tomato sauce (tomato paste, canned tomatoes, onions, herbs, EVOO, sea salt)
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1 scoop hummus
  • 1/4 cup black beans
  • Black pepper, freshly ground

This is one of my new favourite combinations. The couscous pita has over 30 grams of protein! It fills me up for hours.

Dessert was my Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie:

IMG 6905 thumb   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

You have to make this for Thanksgiving!!!!! It is so delicious. I am blown away by it. It’s even good cold! The great thing about this pie is that it has a great nutritional profile and lots of protein from the tofu.

IMG 6909 thumb   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

No, pumpkin pie is not normally a part of my lunch, but when in Rome…

IMG 6901 thumb   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

You catch my drift. ;)

I especially enjoyed the glazed pecans along the bottom of the crust:

IMG 6905 thumb1   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

The crust is maybe the yummiest crust I have ever tried. It actually has some ‘oomph’ to it!

~~~~

Glo Bakery News:

• There are a few really exciting things going on with Glo Bakery at the moment. I can’t wait to tell you all about them. I wish there were 10 of me right now…
  • Don’t forget today is the last day of the Healthy Holiday Lovers Glo Bar sale!!! Get em while you can! My orders for Christmas are coming in much faster than I expected this early on in the holiday season, so please get them in soon as I may have to cut them off in early December.
  • For customers who have ordered and tried the Glo Bars: Can you tell me if there is an option to rate the bars in your account info page? Eric tells me there is but we haven’t had anyone submit a rating yet. Help is appreciated! For now, you can check out what Glo Bakery customers are saying about the bars here.

Vegan 4 A Week:

See you tonight for snacks and dinner! :)

~~~~

Are you doing vegan 4 A Day? How are you finding it?

Angela Signature thumb26   Blogger Vegan 4 A Day Challenge: Part 2

Yasmin November 19, 2009

I’m dying to try that pie. Any suggestions on how to make is gluten-free?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 19, 2009

I love couscous, too. I actually do like the plumper Israeli couscous a little better. And those close shots of the pecans in the pie…oh dear, I’m drooling.

Chrysta November 19, 2009

Hey Girl!
Im doing the vegan for a week challenge and love it!! Btw that pie looks out of this world fantastic. The cous cous is a cool idea for breakfast too! I usually eat it for lunch or dinner, but that picture looks amazing. Good luck on all your amazing projects too=)
have a great day!

Kristie Lynn November 19, 2009

I’m a vegan every day, so yeah, I’m doing vegan for a day :) And I just logged in to my Glo account to see if there was a review option I could find, but I’m not seeing anything. When I go to my account page it just shows the information of my last order. Good luck working that out!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries November 19, 2009

ok i might copy your lunch! haha

Allison November 19, 2009

its like your in the middle of a forest. I love it!
That pie looks so good. I haven’t tried cous cous, but i am loving quinoa!

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 19, 2009

I’m doing vegan for the day and its okay. But I messed up and ordered regular milk for my latte. Darn it will sit in the fridge until tomorrow.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 19, 2009

Watching Food Inc will change anyone vegan! UGH!!!

Your lunch looks mighty tasty darling…

I will try it with Quinoa – did you know soaking your quinoa for 10 min at least before cooking provides you with more protien?? Easier to digest once soaked!! YUMMM

CousCous doesn’t like me..

XXOO
Kris

brandi November 19, 2009

blech, we’re having the same weather! it’s been rainy and gray here all day.

I’m doing it, and love it so far! I’m not sure I could jump right in…there would be a lot to figure out with meals and such with the husband, but it’s definitely making me think more about what I’m eating.

katherine November 19, 2009

Your lunch looks fabulous and super filling! Great suggestion for a quick and easy meal!

Jessica November 19, 2009

I’m doing it! I’m a vegetarian but am trying vegan for a day. It’s been a sinch so far, but then again I’ve only had a green monster..

Alex November 19, 2009

Yum!!! Definitely have to add that to my cooking repertoire!
I have a verrrry similar view from my window, if you were to swap the trees for streetcars!

Leana November 19, 2009

The pita and the pie both sound delicious! I’m super excited for my Glo bars to arrive as well….thank you so much!!!

Nikki T November 19, 2009

Your lunch looks FAB and has possibly inspired me to purchase some cous cous on my next grogery trip!

Reviews on the Globars is a positive- Eric was right!
I just did a review/rating on Refresh!

Nikki T November 19, 2009

‘grocery’, that is!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) November 19, 2009

I heart couscous!! I am vegan everyday, so today is not different.. lol BUT its so fun to read/look at all the yummy meals everyone in the blog is making!

Ps.. I get the “oh you must get no protein comment at least once a day”!

Allison November 19, 2009

Ooh, I might have to run to the store and pick up some black beans and hummus so I can make that pita for lunch. I’m wanting to try baking the pie, but I’m not sure I can sell my family on something vegan for Thanksgiving…would have to make one for myself first, to taste-test and see if it would fool them…hmm…

Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 19, 2009

Mmm, I love couscous! How great is it that it only takes like 5 minutes to cook? Your sandwich looks very filling and yummy. Your baking tips were awesome in the guest post. Thanks. :)

M. November 19, 2009

I love couscous. It is one of the easiest things to make and it is a no fail project. Have you tried the whole wheat couscous? I recently bought it and I hope it tastes the same.

As well, what type of “High Protein Pita’s” do you buy? Pita’s are so yummy but I never find them filling. Are they just from a local grocery store?

Happy Vegan eating
No i havent tried whole wheat- didnt even know there was WW!!! This is my first time eating it. I will definitely be exploring it more :) ~A

M. November 20, 2009

I cooked it tonight and I approve! It’s delicious… You should definitely try it (Bulk barn and Whole Foods)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 19, 2009

Oh my…that close-up of the crust made my mouth water!!!

Bridget November 19, 2009

I have to stop myself from DROOLING over that delicious looking piece of pie! YUM!!!

I’m definitely interested in the vegan 4 a day challenge. I think I’ll give it a go some time this week!

Carolyn November 19, 2009

Love the pecans on the bottom. Gonna have to try that this year.

Nicole November 19, 2009

Goodness, that pumpkin pie looks good!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 19, 2009

That pumpkin pie looks soooooooo good!! And I don’t even like pumpkin pie!! I might have to try it!

Bethany November 19, 2009

That pita looks delicious!!!!!!

Anne Marie @ New Weigh of Life November 19, 2009

I love cous cous-it is so amazing!

Leanne November 19, 2009

Hi Angela! I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog over the past 9 months or so. I’m hooked on green monsters :-)

I just wanted to say that your yard is absolutely breathtaking. Canada IS a beautiful country!!!

Have a great day,
Leanne from Calgary Alberta, CANADA

Jil November 19, 2009

oh those couscous pitas look amazing! i must remember to pick up some couscous the next time i get to the store. and the pie looks delicious!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal November 19, 2009

That pita sounds fabulous! I’m definitely going to make that pie:)

Tay November 19, 2009

I love couscous!! I lived off that with sauteed veggies my 3rd year of college. And now it’s been so long since I’ve had it! I have 10 lb quinoa bag to use up, so couscous seems like a splurge ;-) And I’ve already decided I’m making that pie on Thanksgiving. I won’t tell my family it’s tofu and see how they react! I’m excited :-)

Allison November 19, 2009

Im sure if you didn’t say a word about tofu, your family would love that pie and finish every last bit! lol but once you say whats actually in it, thats when people are skeptical and not really willing to try it.

Amandamoo November 19, 2009

Hey Ange,
So… it’s been a while since I participated in the Green Monster Movement… the whole getting married thing was stressful and when the husband (then fiance) would offer to make breakfast, I couldn’t refuse : ) Anyway, I’m getting back in the rythm of buying the produce and prepping the smoothie, etc, etc, etc but have run into a problem with the blender… I used to use my stick blender, it works great with spinach. I’m now trying to incorporate different greens that it doesn’t like (kale, for example) and my big blender can’t handle it either. I feel like I blend for 4 minutes and there are still big chunks of beet or carrot or something in there : ( Any strategies for loading the blender? Blending time? Maybe I need a new blender? Any help is always appreciated, you’re great!

Thank you!!

Tania November 19, 2009

Hey Ang- loveee your blog- I def will try that recipie. Be careful eating canned tomatoes though- I’m not sure about Canada but here in the states canned tomatoes are teeming with BPA which is real bad for you. They reccomend getting it in glass jars instead. :)

love!!

Annabananabomb November 19, 2009

I have never had pumpkin pie (it’s not really that bit over here in Australia) but your recipe is very very tempting!

Also – are you thinking about shipping internationally with your bars? I’d love love love to try some :D

Kasey (Fit For Wellness) November 19, 2009

I’m not vegan but the pita and pie look amazing!!! I make a pumpkin pie every year for Thanksgiving so I might have to give your recipe a try :)

Leah November 19, 2009

That pumpkin pie looks amazing! I may have just drooled on my keyboard a little!!

Katrina M November 19, 2009

i TOTALLY want to try that pie!!! if i have off work wednesday i just might try it :)

hey angela, i sent you an email last night but i can’t remember if i put my return email address???

Michelle @ Eatingjourney November 19, 2009

I am making that pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving…consider it did. YUMMY!

Jolene November 19, 2009

I am SOLD. I am making that pie. That crust is seriously the most moist, gooey looking crust … I just can’t take the temptation anymore!!!

deisegirl November 20, 2009

that couscous pitta looks fantastic. :)

Ashley November 20, 2009

Ang you have such a gorgeous backyard. What a lucky gal to have that to look out towards!

I get to look into my neighbors backyard :(

Mr Man and I can’t wait to escape the suburbs!

Kathleen November 30, 2009

This might be completely my fault because I omitted the hummus but the above combo did not work for me as a pita stuffer. I didn’t like how the couscous and tomato sauce tasted together. The hummus might have made all the difference though….