Veganize My Recipe Challenge

Good morning!

I’m glad you enjoyed The Story Of The Green Monster. :) It feels good to have it told.

~~~~

Eating dinner with Christmas ambiance is so much more fun, wouldn’t you say?

IMG_6679

IMG_6680

The view from our dinner table makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The time spent in our family room has increased ten fold since these decorations went up.

Last night Eric and I finished watching Julie and Julia. Oh my gosh was it ever a great movie!!!! Eric had me in hysterics laughing because he kept imitating Julia/Meryl’s accent. I don’t think I have laughed so hard in ages. I could relate to the movie a lot because of course it was about blogging and cooking! Definitely check out this movie…it was unique like no other!

IMG_6678

I’m still on my huge Quinoa kick…I now buy all my grains and protein in bulk to save on packaging and cost. Beans, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, couscous, you name it, it’s in my basement. One bonus of a vegan diet? You end up saving so much money not buying meat. Grains and lentils are so cheap, especially when you buy in bulk. This meal below cost me approx. $1.35 (and that was mostly because my olive oil is pricey).

IMG_6703

I am crazy for this Organic Chamomile with Lavender herbal tea. I had NO idea that I loved this tea until I had it last night. Dare I say that it may be my favourite tea aside from sencha?! WOW. To say it is a relaxing tea is an understatement. I felt like I was in a spa while sipping it! I am going to buy more asap. I wonder if they have it in loose leaf?

IMG_6686

In case you are wondering, it takes great balance to hold a SLR camera + backlight + fork + food and get the picture to turn out. LOL. Aw, the things I do for you guys. ;)

IMG_6704

Black Beans, Corn, and Tomatoes over Quinoa

Ingredients:

• 2 cups cooked black beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (with salt)
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Fine grain Sea Salt (to taste)
  • Black Pepper
  • Cooked Quinoa

Directions: Cook the black beans (or you can use canned too). Add first 7 ingredients into a saucepan and heat over low-medium. While this is heating up, cook quinoa. Serve the bean,corn, and tomato mixture over a bed of quinoa.

IMG_6701

This dish was very basic, yet quite satisfying. Very high in protein too! It made a great recovery meal for my poor abs.

IMG_6702

Other fun happenings to know about…

1) Glo Bakery:

2) Whittle My Middle:

• I meant to mention as well that for my waist measurements, I took one at the smallest section of my waist (couple inches above my belly button) and then the widest section of my waist (a few inches below my belly button). This will vary for everyone, so just make sure the area you measure is consistent between measures should you chose to do so.
  • Is anyone else finding that the stability ball roll-out (#5) doesn’t work very well? I don’t find it that challenging. I am thinking about subbing the exercise with something else. Maybe I am doing it wrong? Ideas?
  • My abs hurt. But in a good way if you know what I mean. Everyone said they hate me onTwitterthis morning. :( heh.
  • Someone asked where my before picture was for the last Bikini Boot Camp Challenge. It is here. In two months I was able to loose quite a few inches, so hopefully in a month I can do about half that progress. I will likely be revealing this challenge’s B+A at the end.
  • Don’t forget you can follow my Whittle My Middle workouts each day on the new Abs page!

3) Veganize My Recipe Challenge:

• US Thanksgiving is approaching!

Do you have any special Thanksgiving recipes that you make each year and you want them veganized (no animal products like dairy, eggs, etc) and made healthy? Email them to me angela@ohsheglows.com and I will be selecting a couple to ‘make-over’ over the next two weeks! It can be anything from side dishes, mains, to desserts.

Enjoy your Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela_Signature

1 Marci November 13, 2009

OK that looks delicious… I am in on your WMM challenge (and I have a few non-blogging friends joining in). I wanted to ask you if you have ever had coconut water, and if you know where it can be bought in bulk in the GTA? I am an addict.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2009

I would guess Whole Foods or a health food store?

3 Katie O. November 13, 2009

Hey Ange-

I did the stability ball rollout move yesterday and did not find it to be challenging either. At first I didn’t think I was doing it right but I went back and watched the video and, sure enough, I was. I was thinking about maybe substiting that move with plank twists- holding the plan position and rotating each knee up towards the opposite elbow.. hurts so good!

4 Katie O. November 13, 2009

*substituting, sorrry

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2009

I love plank twists!

Lexi may be doing an video on the roll out so hopefully that helps!

6 Courtney November 13, 2009

I love the buying bulk idea…how do you store all your grains so they stay fresh? I’ve been eyeing a huge bag of quinoa at CostCo but not sure how I would store it.

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2009

I store it in the basement (so its cool) in huge food bins that I buy from Uline.ca

8 Leah @ L4L November 13, 2009

I make a similar quinoa dish and spice it up with cumin and a tiny dash of cayenne! If I have an avocado, I’ll add that too. It is so good!

9 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 13, 2009

Um, I would be super excited if you could veganize gravy! Hehehehe. :)

10 Janna (Just Flourishing) November 13, 2009

LOVE quinoa. I’ve been on a “quinoa kick” for over a year now, and I don’t think it’s going to end anytime soon! It’s just so good!

Hmm maybe I’ll make something with lentils a quinoa today. Yum!

11 Morgan November 13, 2009

I agree about the stability ball rollouts. I find that good old bicycles work much better, or V ups!

12 Lauren @ Eater not a runner November 13, 2009

I am definitely obsessed with Quinoa right now :-)

I would love to see a vegan-ized pecan pie…yum!

13 Ameena November 13, 2009

Quinoa is my favorite grain! I love to add bunch of vegetables and mix in some Trader Joe’s peach salsa. It hits the spot every time.

14 skinnyrunner November 13, 2009

love the pictures of your christmas decorations at night! so pretty and festive.

15 Sarah November 13, 2009

Hiya! I’m new to your blog and just wanted to say I really enjoy reading it.
I’ve been thinking of watching ‘Julie and Julia’ for a while now, but most of the reviews that I read online were a little off-putting. But as I’m getting into blogging and trying to get into cooking (to get myself healthier) I think it’ll be a good film for me to watch.
I’ve also recently checked out your Green Monster website, and I’m thinking of trying it out soon.

16 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 13, 2009

I am living Christmas through you right now, but I”m sure I’ll have my tree up soon too. I did my first whittle today. Whoa planks are so hard!

17 Cindy November 13, 2009

I am glad you mentioned the protien in your quinoa dish makes for a great post work out recovery! I’ve been trying to figure that one out (but I have to workout late at nigth.)

I signed up for you Whittle my Middle challenge and did day (2) last night (I’m a day behind) I can’t figure out how to do #5…I am going to give the video another look see. I wanted to thank you for a great pre holiday challenge! I needed it.

for our thanksgiving I am getting to bring stuffing and my baked yams (no marshmallows) and some home made cranberrie sause…

but I am making our desserts and they are raw tarts. (cranberry orange flavored and maybe apple cinnamon) I am still making a traditional pumpkin pie but might make some tweaks (yah, I am sure I will)

I love the holidays and I am really enjoying your Christmas decorations. we don’t have ours out yet!

18 Carolyn November 13, 2009

Good job on keeping up with your abs challenge! Julie and Julia is playing at the “$1” theater near my house. Now I’m thinking about sneaking out to see it while the husband is sleeping.

19 Kristy November 13, 2009

Your house looks so cozy and welcoming! I love the holidays. Quinoa is so great because you can mix with so many different things and come up with a delicious, healthy dish! And that tea sounds so wonderful… soothing actually.

20 Estela @ Weekly Bite November 13, 2009

OK, I have to try Quinoa now! Your dish looks amazing :)
I agree w/ veganizing Gravy :)

21 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 13, 2009

Raise your hands if you love Quinoa! Both of mine are raised!! i love this stuff :) Great Recipe Doll.

I am going to purchase this tea it looks delish!

Have a happy day!

22 Betsy November 13, 2009

My abs are KILLING me today. Mostly on my sides. I tried to do a plank earlier this morning and I couldn’t hold it longer than a few seconds! Ah! My middle really does need to be whittled!!

23 Tay November 13, 2009

I find the stability ball roll-out to be a challenge if I bring my knees all the way to my chest and make sure I’ms staying stable, not wobbly. And make sure to contract your abs the whole time!!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2009

hmm I think you are thinking of the jackknife (#4)? That one is HARD as hell.

25 Cynthia (It All Changes) November 13, 2009

I forgot I have quinoa in my pantry. I could use this for the vegan for a week challenge with Mish and Katy. Perfect protein :-)

26 Nicole (the other one) November 13, 2009

Oh, I’ve got a challenge for you. My family has Italian Wedding Soup on Thanksgiving (meatballs, eggs, chickenstock, chicken)

27 Amy November 13, 2009

Gahh – I need to find that Chamomile Lavender tea. I hope they sell it down in the US too! I must say, I got away from reading your blog in recent months (with good reason — job was life-sucking, found a new exciting one, and I start at the end of the month!) and I am enjoying your blog so much again! I’m getting in on your whittle your middle challenge — I need to whittle the middle I developed in my days of awful office drudgery!! :)

28 Stephanie November 13, 2009

I haven’t yet seen the movie for Julie and Julia… but I read the book and it was great!!

mmmm…. vegan thanksgiving goodies! I miss thanksgiving. This year Britton and I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with not one, not two, but THREE vegan pumpkin pies. I wanted to test which “pie pumpkin” was the tastiest variety. We tried a regular pie pumpkin, a cheese pumpkin, and some kind of japanese pumpkin!!! The japanese pumpkin won in the flavor department, but the color (it’s a slightly green color) was off puting. Overall, the cheese pumpkin won!!

Hmmm… Britton’s dad is living in NYC… maybe we can use that as an excuse to have another thanksgiving feast here in Canada??

29 Dani November 13, 2009

I only did 3 minutes of core work last night and it was already burning! This will definitely be a challenge :)

Love the Christmas decor.. can’t wait to put ours up!!

30 Nicole November 13, 2009

I have to tell you that you totally inspired me to start decorating my house already for Christmas!! The day after I read that you were decorating your house, I was in the BX (a military version of Target, but not as cool), and I saw a fake tree. We are going on a cruise this year, and we won’t have time to deal with a real tree. I bought it, and I am so excited to start decorating! Thanks for helping me spread the cheer!!!

31 Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 13, 2009

wow! That quinoa looks FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing ;)

32 Miriam November 13, 2009

I tried the stability ball roll-out yesterday at the gym and I could’nt find any balance and truly, I don’t get the movement AND I have to say, looked a little like a fool ;) So I stopped (loosing my time AND looked like a fool) and did some ball rotation -for the obliques- on the ball with a medicine ball instead.

PS : My abs hurts!! I love this challenge!!!

And, I have to say, I love the fact that I can find motivation among other people that I would have never “known” if it wasn’t the blogs and who are as dedicated in living an healthy and active life! ;) Indeed, sometimes I feel alone in my world! My closest friends are not the sporty kind (outside of the ones that I’ve made at the gym!) ;)

Keep going!! :) (this is meant for all of you, not only Ange!)

33 Amy (One Thousand Steps) November 13, 2009

Oooh, I am so excited to hear more about your vegan-ized recipe challenge!! I have been trying to make healthy baked goods lately, and they keep coming come out too bland or too dense compared to the non-vegan versions. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

34 Lynna November 13, 2009

you should try millet if you haven’t already. I like it better than quinoa!

35 Megan November 13, 2009

I’m at work so I can’t watch the video but in one of the workout classes I go to the instructor said the stability ball roll out is way harder if you don’t bend your arms. So I guess try keeping them as straight as you can and see if that makes it harder, I remember my abs were burning when I did them.
Have you started planning your Christmas dinner yet? I know it’s November but i’ve been thinking about mine since September (yes I know I’m weird) :)

36 Katie November 13, 2009

Love the Christmas decorations! I agree buying bulk is the only way to go.

I want to know what your ideas are for an entree? I have NO idea what to replace the turkey with. Must be vegan :) Or just a general menu idea. I’m having a tough time visualizing. I would be happy to help plan/cook some if you don’t have a menu already I just need a jumping off point!

I’m ready for Christmas it’s my favorite holiday. I just wish I had some little kids around to share it with. I love kids at Christmas so innocent and the Santa thing.

37 Katie November 13, 2009

And wanted to say Jackknifes if you haven’t done them already! They are a biatch for the abs. LOL I was dying at yoga today.

38 Kasey (Fit For Wellness) November 13, 2009

I’m going to add Julia and Julia to our Netflix queue. That tea sounds fantastic… I heart tea!

39 Melinda November 13, 2009

The quinoa dish looks amazing. I really want to see Julie and Julia.

40 Lisa November 13, 2009

Julie & Julia was a great movie. Luv your Christmas decorations; I just can’t do it till after T’giving.

41 Allison November 13, 2009

I was starting to pull out some christmas decorations this afternoon, seeing all your stuff has gotten me excited. I need to go to the dollarstore and pick up a few things, I love the dollarstores lol

42 Kat - Curves for Life November 13, 2009

I love stuffing – but unfortunately can’t have gluten and can’t seem to find a good recipe that is both vegan and gluten free for delicious stuffing. I’ve always loved the veggies and sides more than the turkey and gravy so don’t really miss much else.

43 Megan November 13, 2009

Hi Angela,
Do you think you could come up with a vegan bread pudding? Last year I made it for dessert for the very first time, it was flavored with cinnamon, molasses and raisins and was really awesome. But all the milk and eggs to make the custard? Not so healthy:) The next flavor I wanted to make I wanted to incorporate chocolate chips somehow ;)

44 kelly November 13, 2009

I make that dish a few times a month. I like to take it to lunch for work. Yummy…

45 Lesley Living Life November 13, 2009

Your Christmas decorations is making me feel festive … and I like it! ; )

46 Lynda November 13, 2009

My abs are killing me today, but in a good way. I have tried for 2 days now to do the jackknives and I cannot do it. I cannot get my balance and it’s frustrating. Any suggestions?

47 Mer November 13, 2009

I felt the same way about the stability ball roll out until my husband suggested putting my hands closer to the edge of the ball at the starting position and then taking the whole movement and SLOOOOOOWING it all down. It got a lot harder when I made these tweaks. Thanks for the awesome program. It was much-needed and it’s fun… I’ve started doing the moves during commercial breaks at night… I’m already feeling the difference in my core.

48 maggie November 13, 2009

love the recipe! i will be making that asap! yes, vegan diet is the best economically and for our health! gotta love beans and grains! yumm!
what kind of quinoa is that??
there are soo many different varieties.

49 Whole Body Love November 13, 2009

The ball roll-out is actually one of my favorite new exercises! I started Whittle My Waist Today too. I am doing it mainly to gain core strength.

50 Danica November 14, 2009

MMM – your dinner looks awesome!

I LOVE this challenge idea!

51 The Voracious Vegan November 14, 2009

Christmas decorations make EVERYTHING better! Seriously, it is a fact.

I love quinoa too, you can add anything to it to make a delicious and hearty meal. Great photos, by the way!

52 Runningwriter November 14, 2009

I find stability ball rollouts reeeeaaallly challenging but I just watched the video and that’s not how I do a stability ball rollout :/ I hope I can describe this. Try clasping your hands and putting your arms from hands to elbow on the ball. Have a straight body from shoulders to feet, toes on the floor then roll the ball out so only your elbows remain on the ball and then roll the ball back in. Tight core throughout obviously. This should be a bit more challenging than that one in the video.
Your dinner and decorations look lovely :)

53 Jolene November 14, 2009

Great pics! I love the Christmas ambiance!

54 Tamara November 14, 2009

I just read this post and I’m laughing because I literally made the same exact meal for dinner last night! Great minds think alike! I put onions and peppers in mine(and avocado on top!). I was inspired by a kashi frozen meal

55 Amanda November 14, 2009

Awe….I’m so jealous of your cute Christmas house! No matter how I hard I try or how many years I live on Maui I’ll never get use to summer like Christmas….Love your blog and Sketchie:-) Aloha, Amanda

56 Eliana >^..^ November 15, 2009

That Quinoa dish sounds good and simple enough for me to make without messing something up.

Marc just put “Julie and Julia” in our netflix list, looking forward to watching that movie. ;o) I am sure you will come to mind many times while watching it. ;o)

Have a good day.

57 Diana November 15, 2009

yay for the Christmas ambiance! :)