Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

Good evening!

I hope you are having a fabulous day. What a busy day I have had. I have been humming along shipping out my Healthy Halloween Chocolate Lovers Variety Packs today. You guys sure love this variety pack. Thank you for your orders and excitement! It felt awesome because I have all of the packs packed and ready to go so those of you who ordered today had it shipped out today. Not too shabby! There are still a few left of your want to get your hands on some, as well as Chi, Refresh, Revive, Heaven, and Classic Glo Bar flavours.

I apologize for the comments not working in my post earlier. I am not sure what was going on, but they kept turning off. Hopefully, that doesn’t continue to happen. I missed your sweetness today! ;)

It has been a while since I have given product reviews, so I thought tonight would be a good time given my extreme bout of writer’s block today. I honestly starred at my keyboard for about 20 minutes tonight….DUH! I think my half marathon killed some brain cells? ;) I realized that I had tried a bunch of products lately that I haven’t told you about.

First up: Intentional Chocolate

IMG 5240 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

Intentional Chocolate sent me their vegan dark chocolate to try out. Naturally, I was pumped being the dark chocolate fan that I am! Their products are made with pure Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate and they are free of additives and herbs. The company also donates 50% of its’ net profits to charity.

IMG 5235 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

I put one of these Fine Dark Chocolate Pistoles on my tongue and let it melt. This is how I test good chocolate. I just can’t stand the hard, wax-like chocolate.

To my delight this chocolate was absolutely everything I dreamed it would be. Smooth, creamy, intense but not bitter or over-powering. It is one of the best chocolates I have tasted. I had to hide the bag so I wouldn’t polish it off! :)

IMG 5241 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

The company also claims that ‘intention’ is embedded into each piece of Intentional Chocolate. What is intention you ask? It is a thought, prayer, or blessing. It is the expression of purpose and the direction of source energy that is within all of us. The company also claims to have published a double-blind, placebo controlled pilot study in Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing. In this study, they found that 1 ounce of Intentional Chocolate a day for 3 days increased participants’ well-being, vigor, and energy by 67%.

Now I consider myself to be a pretty open minded person, but I don’t see how Intentional Chocolate would benefit someone greater than your average pure dark chocolate would. Aside from a placebo effect and all. I mean, if you believe this chocolate is going to have healing powers than it just might…but so might your average dark chocolate in the grocery store. Personally, I don’t care about whether my chocolate is intentional or not, all I care about is the taste. And this surely passed my taste test.

Up next, Pita Break’s Organic Spelt Lavish Thins.

IMG 5250 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

These were given to me at the trade show I went to. They are vegan to my delight. I love spelt, so anytime I can get my hands on a spelt product I jump at the chance!

IMG 5248 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

They are thin and very long- about 7-8 inches in length.

IMG 5249 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

The taste was lovely! I didn’t think I was going to like them because I have had bad experiences with flatbread crackers before, but these were delicious. I loved that they were made from spelt and had a ton of sesame seeds on them. They were super crisp and great for dunking in hummus or salsa. Crunch, crunch, crunch.

They have just 60 calories per thin, which is a good deal because the crackers take quite a while to eat. They also have 1 gram of fat, 2 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fibre per thin.

The ingredients list is also quite short: Organic whole grain spelt, filtered water, organic flax seed, organic brown cane sugar, organic sunflower oil, sea salt, and sesame seeds.

I will definitely buy this product once I run out!

Up next, Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70:

IMG 5191 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

The president of Manitoba Harvest gave me a tub of their newest hemp protein powder at the trade show. It has a whopping 21 grams of protein per 1/4 cup serving!

IMG 5193 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

I am always looking for a vegan, all natural protein powder that I can add to my green monsters, especially after intense workouts.

I was a bit leery of this powder- I was afraid that it was going to taste badly like many protein powders do. However, I was pleasantly surprised! I used 1/4 cup of the powder and it didn’t affect the taste of my green monster much at all. In fact, it made my green monster very creamy and smooth in texture and taste! This product is a definite winner.

I would definitely buy this powder again. I currently use hulled hemp seeds in my green monsters, however to get the same amount of protein (21-22 grams) I would have to use 1/4 cup of hemp seeds- which is fine- but I would be doubling my calories. In 1/4 cup of hemp seeds there are 320 calories vs. the 140 for the protein powder. Now you obviously get way more healthy fats in the 1/4 cup of hulled hemp seed (20 grams vs 4.5 in the powder), so keep that in mind too.

And finally, Ultimate Superfoods Wildcrafted Goldenberries:

IMG 5262 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving IMG 5254 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving IMG 5256 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

I can’t believe I have never had these before! They are simply AWESOME! They are tart, yet sweet and they remind me of a much healthier Sour Patch Kid. I love these goldenberries so much. I definitely see a goldenberry Glo Bar in the future too!!!

IMG 5259 thumb   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

They are quite healthy too! "Not your average dried fruit, flavor-packed Goldenberries also boast an excellent nutritional profile. The fruit is best noted for its high amounts of carotene and bioflavonoids — nutrients which studies have shown to produce anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity (among many other benefits). Goldenberries are also an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and contain a good amount of dietary fiber and pectin. Unlike most fruits, Goldenberries also contain protein and phosphorous." [Source]

For 1/4 cup, they have 160 calories, 6 grams of fibre, and 4 grams of protein. I found they were quite satisfying. I had about 2 tablespoons and it totally took away my sugar craving.

~~~~

So there you have it! The 4 health food products I am currently loving.

What about you?
Have you tried any food products lately that you loved (or hated)?

Enjoy your evening!

Angela Signature thumb42   Four Food Products I am Currently Loving

Jennie {in Wonderland} October 20, 2009

I’m currently obsessed with maca powder {blaming you for that one!} although it tastes terrible, haha. Also, whenever I’m craving something sweet, I’ve been sticking 2 tsp natural PB, 1 tsp agave and 1 tbsp rice milk in a cup and microwaving for 10 seconds. It’s the best PB pudding ever and it really hits the cravings!

I’m also LOVING piccolo ‘on the vine’ cherry tomatoes. I like to slice them and have them on oatcakes with hummus. So. good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2009

haha i LOVE maca!!!!!
yes it doesnt taste good…the key is to use just a tiny tiny bit so yuo dont taste it. A little bit goes a long way!

Organic Ashley October 20, 2009

ooo that “pudding” sounds great! I will definitely need to try that. I love maca too I am all out. It looks like I will need to pick some up soon.

I love the Superfood packets. I am also in love with cacao nibs. I use them in everything.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2009

I find they are so bitter…how do you eat them without noticing them too much? I’m not sure what to put them in.

Jess October 21, 2009

What kind do you have? I LOVE cacao nibs and I eat them just like I would chocolate chips (in banana softserve, oatmeal, smoothies, trail mix). I don’t find them very bitter at all, so I’m curious if it’s a brand difference.

Mine have a natural roasted flavour with just a hint of bitterness, similar to 70% dark chocolate. I can’t remember what brand they are right now but I can look if you’d like.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 20, 2009

OMG I love so much food. I am currently obsessed with Amazing Grass, tho. I feel AMAZING!! No pun intended.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 20, 2009

I am currently obsessed with Kays all natural high protein cereal in apple cinnamon and I also just got a sample pack of nutridel cookies OMG these are insanely good!!!

great food reviews! those lavash thins look great, I am thinking of dipping those in hummus!

Amber@theminimalistdiaries October 20, 2009

I am trying to switch out my old beauty products for my natural ones and I am currently obsessing over Dr. Bronner’s Organic Peppermint Bar Soap. It feels divine on my skin, is certified fair trade and totally wakes you up with the minty scent!

Chloe October 20, 2009

I love the idea of intention chocolate! maybe I just love the idea of any chocolate…

Julie @savvyeats October 20, 2009

Have you dried goji berries in your bars? They are my new favorite addition!

Julie @savvyeats October 20, 2009

*I mean, have you tried dried goji berries :)

Gillian October 20, 2009

Those chocolates look so good! I have given into white chocolate and milk chocolate lately, but the joy is far from a quality dark chocolate!

Alanna October 20, 2009

Where I live (St.John’s, NL) you can buy those Lavash crackers in bulk at Costco! It’s heaven! :)

kay (eating machine) October 20, 2009

dave’s killer bread is the newest obsession in my house-it’s converted my “well, whole wheat *is* better for me, so i *guess* its ok” fiance into a whole grain believer!

Jolene October 20, 2009

I am loving Mary’s crackers at the moment – healthy and delicious!

Chrysta October 20, 2009

I’m super obsessed with Tahini right now. Ive been putting it on everything. I just love the taste and texture it brings. Although I have watch the serving size..(just like with peanut butter) But I did find a great lower calorie version of it at Trader Joes that uses pretty decent ingredients! Has more of a hummus like consistency too which is perfect for “controlled” dipping. HA!

anardana October 20, 2009

It bothers me that the chocolate is not organic or fair trade :( If they have the best intentions for humankind as they claim, it should be at least fair trade. I just wrote them an e-mail saying so.

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 20, 2009

Thanks for the sharing the reviews! My fav product of your reviews has to be Amazing Grass! It really makes a smoothie!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) October 20, 2009

I finally tired the Amazing Grass chocolate superfood and I love it! I’ve been using their other products and was hesitant to try the chocolate flavor. It was so much better than I imagined!

chandra h October 20, 2009

this is a lil late but – congratulations on the 1/2 marathon!!! you are so inspiring (always). :)

love the halloween variety pack idea! hmmm, i think it’s about time i visit your bakery. congratulations again on all of your awesome success angela!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 20, 2009

What great products Angela! And excellent reviews. I’m totally intrigued by those Lavash thins. They sound amazing!

Hmm… my most recent new product is probably Sunflower Seed butter. It’s a little salty, but SO delicious!

xxoo
Heather

Heather October 20, 2009

Your new food products are awesome! I actually just finished up a post about new things I’ve tried, but I’m a little sad that mine don’t include CHOCOLATE. I always get excited when I see someone else who loves hemp protein powder– I LOVE it!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 20, 2009

Yay Angela – I totally love hemp protein and I use that brand too. I have it every morning in my smoothie. It helps keep me full until at least 10 am which is about 2 hours longer than most food keeps me full for.

Kate October 20, 2009

Right now with the weather getting colder, I seriously can’t get enough of this meal: vegan chili mixed with cooked zucchini, onions, and peppers, topped with cheddar soy cheese. My boyfriend will sometimes make cornbread and the combination is to die for! So filling!

Kate October 21, 2009

I just realized I didn’t give a product name! Duh! :) Healthy Valley Spicy Vegetarian Chunky Chili. It is the bomb! Also, Enjoy Life “boom CHOCO boom” dark chocolate bars. They are dairy, nut and soy free and absolutely amazing and guilt-free! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 20, 2009

I tried Amazing Grass for the first time today and HATED it! I added the chocolate flavor to my first green monster and it made it taste chalky and off. Thank GOd I gave green monsters another chance later and LOVED it.

I also love chia seeds and pumpkin butter. The jury is still out on pop chips. I tried them while sick so I don’t know if I gave them a fair shot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2009

What are pop chips?

Kelly October 21, 2009

Potato chips that are “popped” instead of baked or fried. The only place I can find them where I live is Target (I’m USA tho).
They DEFINATELY satisfy the “crunch” craving of chips, with better stats than any chip I’ve seen.

Jil October 20, 2009

ooh all of these foods sounds so good! the chocolate especially caught my eye :)…also i’d never heard of goldenberries until this post. i’ll have to be on the look out for them.

Meghan@traveleatlove October 20, 2009

I just bought a Trader Joe’s antioxidant drink mix, and it is delicious! Adds a nice fruit punchy taste to water. I am also obsessed with chia seeds!

Michelle October 20, 2009

I’m really enjoying riceworks chips. They’re sooo yummy! Other than that, it’s hard to find new foods and especially all the great things you talk about in lil’ ol’ Saint John. :(

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness October 20, 2009

Where do you buy the Wildcrafted Goldenberries? I love sweets (and tart things!) so they might be a good treat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2009

Im not sure! I was given them at the trade show. I don’t know where to find them.

Antonella October 20, 2009

nice review…i want one of each…seriously, the chocolates sound dreamy and so do the goldenberries….

=)

i’m obsessed with hemp seeds (manitoba harvest)…amazing grass chocolate superfood…cacao nibbs and raw cacao powder (navitas)…live organic food bar’s raw kale chips, sesame and chocolate walnut cookies, and their spicy nori crackers…two sisters also have some awesome kale chips…and O.N.E. coconut water…mary’s crackers are also divine…

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 21, 2009

Those crackers look so good! My grandma always has similar looking ones at her house–for Sabra dipping purposes, of course :)

The Voracious Vegan October 21, 2009

I am SO with you on the chocolate. If it is a dry and crumbly rock hard brick NO THANK YOU! It has to be soft and yielding and totally deliciously melty. THAT is a sign of good chocolate!

Lauren October 21, 2009

I’m am loving Kimberley’s brand gluten-free “bread.” I say bread in quotes because it’s made of ground flax seeds and beans (romano and navy), so it’s more like a loaf, but it is so moist and amazing- similar to a very dense banana bread or something. It’s vegan and you can get it in Ontario Angela! You can get it at Planet Organic and i’ve also found it at other smaller health food stores. They have a plain flavour, as well as cinnamon raisin and chocolate flavours and also muffins! It’s sooo good! And 4 grams of protein, 4 grams of fibre and 2 grams of omega 3 (from all the flax!) all in one slice- and one slice is pretty tiny. I would highly recommend it- delicious, simple ingrdient list, vegan, soy-free, gluten-free and very YUMMY!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 21, 2009

Great post:) Especially for having writer’s block. All of those products sound great. I’d love to try those golden berries! I’ll keep my eye open for ‘em.

Danielle October 21, 2009

Unfortunately I have not had the honor of sampling so many wonderful products as you have… but I would not mind trying all four. They sound and look amazing, especially the chocolate, but maybe that’s my hormones speaking :)

Tina October 21, 2009

Mmm the lavish looks cool! I don’t think I’ve ever had lavish. And I definitely agree with the dark chocolate. If you ever eat the Hershey’s dark chocolate, it does NOT melt! It doesn’t even compare to Ghiradelli or anything else.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) October 21, 2009

nice run-down! Thanks for the reviews ;)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 21, 2009

I tried raw almond butter recently after hearing so many rave reviews in blog world. I didn’t like it that much! It was okayyyy, but I’m afraid nothing compares to a roasty toasty flavor for nut butters :O)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness October 21, 2009

Lately I’ve been very into cumin… it tastes great on any savory foods, last night I sprinkled on some sweet potato fries and they tasted great!

These products seem intriguing. I am especially interested in the golden berries – I LOVE Sour Patch Kids candy and sour / sweet foods, so these seem like they’d be great! Also love the Intentions product, their mission is really great.

Mo October 21, 2009

My daily obsession right now is sliced granny smith apples dipped in Trader Joe’s Almond Butter. Sooooo good!

I am a green monster lover now too thanks to your blog. I added strawberries this morning and suprisingly did not care for it. Which is odd since I love strawberries.

pam October 21, 2009

I am obsessed with your bars! I just got my box of them today and was so excited. I wanted to try all of them at once, but I controlled myself and only tried the run one and LOVE IT :) I packed the renew one for recess duty tomorrow.

heather dawn October 22, 2009

I am currently in love with Purely Decadent Dairy Free ice cream in Pomegranite Chip. Pomegranite flavored ice cream with pieces of dark chocolate mixed in! Amazing :)

I also love G.T.’s Kombucha!

Jenn October 22, 2009

Ohhh, I get those Spelt Lavash at Zher’s. They are good and suuuuuper crunchy. I love them with the LaFontaine hummus!

My current food obsession right now is Honeycrisp apples (tis the season!!!) followed closely by Lundberg rice chips and fresh guacamole.

Grace and Tiffany October 30, 2009

Hey there! We messed up! Your review is listed under “Food & Beverages” not “Eco-Cool Goods”!

So sorry.

Thanks for writing a great review!

Grace and Tiffany