The Key To Happiness

is not to put it off for a later date!

Our William Ashley’s china arrived yesterday via Purolator.

IMG_6365

We were really excited to unpack it until we discovered how it was packed…

In a hay stack. :( We filled 4 garbage bags of this stuff!

IMG_6357

Our supervisor:

IMG_6362 copy

It took us 2 hours to unpack everything, check it, count it, and then clean up the huge mess!

IMG_6356

While we were unpacking, we had the when are we going to use it discussion.

IMG_6359

You may remember my Use Your Good Towels rant a couple months ago.

We already decided that our china would indeed be reserved for special occasions. But we aren’t going to limit its’ use to holidays only. For example, if we have a nice dinner together, we might use the china. (We’re crazy like that!).

However, we also got some stainless steel cutlery sets that we are in love with. And we started a hot debate about what they would be used for.

I said I wanted to use them on a daily basis, while Eric disagreed and said we should keep the cutlery for special occasions only.

Then I got thinking about my Good Towel post.

And I was like, ‘Why shouldn’t we use our gorgeous cutlery right now? We have been using mismatched hand me downs since university (it is honestly horrid what we use!!!). And we have been waiting for so long to have a nice set.’

But Eric’s reply was that it would no longer be special if we used it everyday.

So I pulled out the what if I died card with a big grin on my face, ‘What if I died next month and you had to live with the fact that I never did get to use the cutlery I loved so much?’

Eric, grinning back, ‘Well I would march that over-priced cutlery right back to William Ashley’s and get my money back!’

Quite cheeky isn’t he? ;) We had a good laugh.

IMG_6364

So the debate goes on.

What do you think? Should nice cutlery be saved for special use or do you take the ‘you only live once’ approach with it?

I have always, always been a ‘save special things for special use’ kind of person. But more and more I am starting to toss that idea out the window. So many times I have not used things that make me happy because I am scared of ruining it. Would it really be that big of a deal if we did accidentally ruin a set? Probably not. They were expensive but not that expensive that we couldn’t replace it at some point down the road.

I say use it. We’ve been using our good towels for months now and have never looked back! They make me happy every single day. The only drawback I see with using it is that it has to be hand washed (well, it says it is dish washer safe but I wouldn’t trust it). I hate hand washing dishes, so that might be a pain in the butt. Decisions, decisions…

Angela_Signature

Better three hours too soon, than one minute too late. ~William Shakespeare

Page 2 of 2«12
Jess (What's Normal, Anyways?) September 27, 2009

Use it! Everyday that we have is special in someway. Additionally, just think-if you had a crummy day, just think how much you would look forward to using your pretty silverware when you got home? (or had finished cooking dinner, etc). USE IT!

Jess September 23, 2009

Like Mimi, I too do this with FOOD … I buy gorgeous strawberries or blueberries and then ‘save’ them … what the heck? They go bad before I can find a time that’s ‘special’ enough to eat them. Finally, this summer, I just eat what I want. If that means a whole package of strawberries, who cares? I’m enjoying it!

I say use your dishes. I grew up using SO much paper that I’m sick of using paper plates – not to mention it’s not so great for the environment. I’d much rather get a REAL plate and have a meal and then have to wash it than just throw out a paper plate. (Hubby doesn’t quite get it yet.) I’ve actually thought about keeping a REAL plate and fork in my desk at work (since I work nights), so I can feel like I’m having a REAL dinner.

Maybe don’t use it all the time, but using it will make you happy and feel special.

Jenna September 23, 2009

Use it you only live once.
Growing up I remeber every Sunday we sat in the dinning room and used the GOOD CHINA not many people can say they got their money’s worth, but I think my MOM can !!
So now I try to use mine all the time no matter what the occasion !!
ENJOY !!

Minta September 23, 2009

I say use it. Because I like the French idea of making the whole eating a meal together classy and special. Every meal should be special even if its just a toasted sandwich!

Sorry Eric!

Jess September 23, 2009

I’d say just use them whenever the mood strikes. It doesn’t have to be every day but special occasions are never as often as you think. I don’t have any nice china (not really my thing) but I collect different fun dishes of all shapes and sizes and I use them all the time, because it just makes life more fun.

Also, if you can’t agree on the cutlery (although, I say use it every day, it’s just cutlery) why don’t you just go to Ikea and buy a cheap, but quality set? We own two sets of ‘Data’ and everyday I still find them refreshing and exciting to use and they cost next to nothing.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) September 23, 2009

Use it! I sometimes goof like that when it comes to food. Like “this chocolate is special! I’m only going to dip into it on special occasions.” Well by the time I get around to it, it’s old and crumbly. Carpe diem!

Oxidaisy September 23, 2009

The key to happiness is to not put it off for a later date! You said it yourself! I agree with all the other arguments: you only live once, what if you hate it in 30 years? and think about how you will feel if you get to buy a ‘special’ china again!
What truly counts, in my opinion, is that you deserve to use your ‘good’ stuff, you are worth it. You hate the mismatched things, so go for it! Every day is special. And about holidays and other special days: they are special like they are: they don’t need china to make them spcial. And if you don’t feel like hand washing that day: use the other stuff. Or put them in the dishwasher, if it’s safe they won’t get scratched if you only put the in the dishwasher every now and then.

Milca September 23, 2009

For once I actually agree with Eric but instead of holidays only maybe special occasions as well.

Em September 23, 2009

I went to read your Good Towels post that I hadn’t read before, and something broke my heart. Right there, in the middle of that post, you write “Don’t wait until next month, next year, [b]or when you are 40[/b] to do something you WANT to do.”

I was devastated to find out that 40 is the cut-off age for you too! It seems that everyone feels 40 is the age where you “die” a little, if not completely. I find it sad that as women strive to feel good in their skin, 40 is still the age where it’s too late to enjoy life. People are so fearful of age nowadays, so ashamed of growing old. Wrinkles used to signify wisdom, now they signify expiration date.

Where I come from, we say life starts at 40. For one, I’m looking forward to it. I have a lot more new cutlery to buy and use before and after 40. So I think you should use your cutlery now, and get another when you turn 40. A better one ;)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness September 23, 2009

What gorgeous china! I say go ahead and start using the flatware :-) Life is far too short.

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

mmclaughlin September 22, 2009

I have really nice stainless steel cutlery, and we use it every day (I also wash it in the dishwasher) and I’m so glad we use it!
Of course, I also have gorgeous wine glasses that I bought at the Waterford plant in Ireland that I save for “special occasions”, and we don’t have China because my husband is in the military and I don’t trust the government to move it w/out breaking it… so I guess I have no consistency when it comes to that :)

Courtney September 22, 2009

I say use it!! Why not? I read someone quote their grandmother and she said she always set the table “as if the president was coming.” How cute! :)

maria September 22, 2009

If you really don’t trust the dishwasher and insist on hand washing them, I’d vote for special occasions. But, if you don’t mind hand washing them then have at it. I’d use them everyday. After all, they were bought to be used… not to look pretty in a drawer, right?

And I’m going back and reading your towel post because you have peaked my interest.

sarah (ghost world) September 22, 2009

i say USE IT AAAND trust the dishwasher. life is too short!

Becky September 22, 2009

I used to be a ‘save for a special occasion’ kind of girl, but now I say go for it! Every meal together should be a special occasion with eachother right?! It would be a shame to only get to enjoy those nice dishes a couple times a year.

Amy September 22, 2009

I would definitely use it at least once a week…for me it would be Sunday dinner. I think it’s pointless to have “nice” things and only enjoy them a few times a year.

Jolene September 22, 2009

I remember being a little girl and my mom had this really pretty perfume that she gave me because I loved it so much. I put it in my room and never once used it, and vowed that I would wear it on my high school graduation. Well, one day in probably grade 7 or 8 I found that it had gone bad. I had never used it.

island girl September 22, 2009

Hey Angela! I just read that you’re loving the Maca Powder you’ve been having and I was just wondering what you’ve been finding it’s doing for you? I took Maca for a couple months a while back and I really didn’t find it did much for me..? Maybe I just wasn’t noticing it? Thanks!

Shannon September 22, 2009

We only get one life to live, so I say use everything that you just got, really if you think about it everyday is a special occasion=)

WalkerEvents September 22, 2009

Use it!!! We registered for a white set of china (Gordon Ramsey) and then salad plates and big charger plates from a fancier set of china, so we use the white stuff every day, and mix the fancier non-dishwasher safe stuff for special meals.

Also, I noticed that you have some china with what looks like platinum around the edge.. watch out for it in the dishwasher, our Wm Ashley salesperson said that it can wear off.

Michelle September 22, 2009

Use it and put it in the dishwasher. If it says it’s dishwasher safe, it is dishwasher safe. Don’t worry about it.

Hayley September 22, 2009

Use it! My boyfriend has a gorgeous set of cutlery that we use every day, but unfortunately he says they can’t go in the dishwasher (I’m pretty sure that it can, but he thinks they’ll get ruined) so we hand wash them. We also bought some china last year, and we do use it for “special dinners”; we don’t save it for any such occasion as we would normally dine out. :)

Jessica J September 22, 2009

Use it! You take so much care to make your food georgous, nice plates will make it even better and more enjoyable! :-)

Janna (Just Flourishing) September 22, 2009

Yeah, I say use it! Why do you have a nice set of cutlery only to use it a couple times a year. I think the nice cutlery should be for everyday… you can always get a second pair of even nicer cutlery for those really special times.

I’m always a save it for a special occasion type of girl too… but I’m also starting to change my mind. Life’s to short to not use your nice towels and cutlery.

Courtney September 22, 2009

Use it, and then go buy something else even fancier for the “special” occasions! Hee hee!!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

Kim September 22, 2009

Use it!! I’ve saved so many nice things for a “special occasion” only miss out on enjoying them. Now I think that every day we wake up is a special occasion. If anything, schedule a “date night” once a week and break out the china for a special dinner. Celebrating your marriage is always reason enough. :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 22, 2009

No question, use it. But, I am not a fan of having a ton of stuff that I rarely or never use. If it is for “display only” then it doesn’t belong in my house, just seems wasteful!

Chloe September 22, 2009

Use it! You can never tell the future but at least you know how you can affect the present. It’s nice to use good cutlery when eating, and since you have the means to I say why not?

Also, think about this – you guys will most likely have kids eventually, and when they come around you probably won’t be using the nice cutlery for a while. Better to use it now while you still can!