It has been a while since I did a FAQ installment so I thought I would put one together.
264. Kaitlyn asks, “Hi Angela! I love all of your running talk lately and I am glad to see that you have fallen in love with racing (I have too, thanks to you!!!). I know you have your half marathon coming up on the 27th, but I was just curious if you ever think you will run a full marathon some day? Have you ever given it any thought? I totally think you could rock one!”
I would be lying if I said that the thought hasn’t crossed my mind, especially now that I am enjoying all of the wonderful and inspiring marathon stories in my new book. At this point, I am really not sure if I will ever run a marathon. You probably saw that it was in my fitness bucket list as one of my fitness dreams! I never say never. Right now, I have this half planned for the 27th, a possible half on Oct 18th (Toronto Marathon), and I am also signed up for a half next May in Toronto. Time will tell! One thing is for sure…I have found a huge passion for running and racing and I am so happy that I found my own ‘sport’, since retiring from fast pitch softball years ago.
265. Jessy asks, “Angela I love your blog and I visit it daily to feel inspired about my health. So thank you for that. I just have one question- how do you stay so positive all the time? If I could have 1/10th of your positivity I would be much better off!”
266. Anon asks, “On the topic of motivation — how do you stay motivated to eat well and keep up with your workouts? How did you handle this while working full time out of the home? I currently working full time and I go to the gym every day but the joy is gone. I eat healthy for the most part but tend to OVER eat out of being worn down and tired. I exercise each day in the hopes of shedding those last five pounds, but alas, it never comes off because I’m too tired to really cook anything too healthy. And today, work is ending shortly and I’m exhausted with no gym motivation — how did/do you handle these situations?”
Great questions! Whenever I am asked about motivation I always think of one of my favourite quotes:
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~Zig Ziglar
There isn’t some special trick to being motivated. You’ll often hear people say, ‘I just don’t have any motivation so I can’t workout.’, but the truth is everyone is capable of motivating themselves. There are many days when I don’t feel like getting my exercise in or eating healthy. Something that helps me is knowing that I have committed to this lifestyle. If you commit to something and write out your goals and reason for doing this, that alone will give you some motivation to achieve those goals that mean so much to you. I suggest writing yourself a contract stating what your goals are and why you want to achieve these things and then put it up on your wall, office space, fridge, mirror. Remind yourself each and everyday what kind of life you want to lead. Also, creating a fitness bucket list really motivated me a ton. I look at it over 20 times a day and it makes me so excited about my goals.
My positivity comes from feeling good about my choices and knowing that if I mess up, I can make my next choice a good one. All of us have the power to chose our destiny.
Regarding working outside the home, the only thing that ever worked for me was to workout first thing in the morning before work. I could never ever motivate myself to workout after work or school. I would get up, brush my teeth, get dressed, and be to the gym often before I even felt awake! I had no time to chose if I wanted to workout or skip it because I made it automatic. The first 15 mins. of the workouts were tough, but then you wake up and you feel awesome for doing it.
267. Katie asks, “I get side aches when I run, they start up and I have to stop immediately because it hurts to bad to run. Its frustrating because I’m not out of breath or tired but the pain of the side ache. My question is do you experience side aches and if yes how do you get rid of them! thanks :)
I get side aches when I am not properly hydrated and when I am doing speed work. On my 10 k speed run the other day, I got some side cramps. I stopped to walk a bit, but I pretty much just had to run through them. I think it was my own fault because I didn’t bring any water and my body was dehydrated. I suggest making sure you are properly hydrated and see if that helps. I never get them when I am drinking fluids at regular intervals.
268. Cbeebs asks, “First off, I’d like to say that i only used to skim over blogs when i’m looking for recipes, but since encountering yours, i’m religiously following daily!!
I just graduated with a BCom this May and am job hunting…I find myself not all that thrilled about sitting in an office 9-5…but i’m finding myself quite into fitness/nutrition. I looked up the Can-Fit-Pro certification you mentioned back a while ago. Did you take the exam? Did you find it useful and would you recommend it? Where else is this certification recognized…is it only with the affiliated members? Thanks, I hope i sort out what i want to do in the next step of my life soon. “
Uh oh, I’m busted! haha. No, I haven’t taken the exam yet and I haven’t even had time to study for it either. My intention was to take the exam and get my certification for a Nutrition and Wellness Counselor, but alas, that did not happen since Glo Bakery has kept me working around the clock. I still hope to get my certification at some point just to have it. I would check out Can Fit Pro’s website for all of the information on all of their certifications. I have only heard good things about them. Goodluck!
269. Sarah says, “Hi Angela. A friend recommended your site to me and I just LOVE it. I just started trying the Green Monsters on Monday and actually got 2 girls at work to try them. We’re all doing the challenge together.
I also noticed that you go to an Aveda salon. I used to work as a makeup artist for Civello in Oakville. Is that the one you go to in TO? Just remember, that as gentle as the hair colour is, its defiantly not natural. It may have some natural ingredients, but unless its a henna product (which its not), its not as natural as you might think.
Take care and keep up the great work!”
Sarah you are right and this is something I have actually looked into. There is still bleach in the products they use to lighten hair. Unfortunately, when getting highlights, often products do not work unless there is some amount of bleach in them. I would love to be able to find a 100% natural product that works. If anyone knows of any (for lightening- NOT darkening) let me know!
270. Becca asks, “Hi Ange. Loving all your delicious pictures lately (well I always did just now they look even better!). I noticed that you haven’t been eating fish anymore and I was just curious if you decided to give it up. I don’t think I have seen you eat it since the Spring. What did you decide? Have a great day!”
You are right, I haven’t had fish since the Spring. As I have been experimenting with getting my protein in new ways I have found that I don’t need to rely on fish as a protein source anymore. I get plenty of protein now from beans, seeds, lentils and grains. Now that we have two fish as pets I most certainly cannot see myself eating it. I think Snitzlefritz and Jezabal would have a heart attack. ;)
271. Am asks, “Hey Angela, I really admired how organized you are. You have so much to do but you keep so organized that you manage to accomplish a lot in one day.
I work part-time and I am trying to study the rest of the time. I have a very important test to take coming up. However, I go to work, I work out, I go grocery shopping, I cook, clean, take care of my husband…etc and next thing I know…I am exhausted, it is the end of the day and I have accomplish NO STUDYING AT ALL :(
Do you have any suggestions on how to get my time organized in a way that I can get pretty much everything done?
I would really appreciate it!”
I think I already answered this in my last FAQ installment, but I just wanted to reiterate what a blessing G-Cal has been in my life.
I also have a few words to get off my chest:
Please love my products.
Glo Bakery xoxo
Ps- Wasn’t The Office last night hilarious??? It was over so fast though…
”This is parkour. Internet sensation of 2004. And it was in one of the Bond films. It’s pretty impressive. The goal is to get from point A to point B as creatively as possible so technically they are doing parkour, as long as point A is delusion and point B is the hospital.”
”This is the last day of our summer interns. It’s been nice. We haven’t had interns in a while. Ever since Michael’s Monica Lewinsky incident. He didn’t do anything sexual, he just made far, far too many Monica Lewinsky jokes. It was just easier for Corporate to shut down the program.”
Let me give you a scenario. I’m at like a beach cabana, and Brad Pitt approaches. Tries to lean in and kiss me. I would definitely resist, like at first. But if he was persistent, I might give in a little bit just to see what it felt like. Would I push him away? How hard? Like, what if he’s really aggressive?
If you resisted Brad Pitt a little bit he would still.. need to get to you?
This is not real Brad Pitt, this is like, in my–this is my fantasy. Or not a fantasy it’s like what I’m–it’s just a scenario.
Wow I–I wish I could help you. I don’t–you might be gay, you might be gay
HAPPY FRIDAY!!! :)