The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

Behold the Persimmon fruit.

This one in particular is a Fuyu variety.

img 2636 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

What is a Persimmon fruit, anyways?

• A persimmon, known to the ancient Greeks as "the fruit of the gods"
  • Hundreds of varieties grow around the world
    • The Fuyu is fat and round, like a ripe tomato, with a waxy orange skin and heart-shaped leaves. When firm, its texture is smooth and crisp with a mild flavour. When left to ripen until it yields slightly, like a pear or peach, its honeyed flavour is sweeter and more pronounced.
  • Vary in size from 1.5-9 cm in diameter
  • They may be spherical, acorn-, or pumpkin-shaped
  • High in glucose
  • Nutritional highlights: (per fruit): 70 kcals, 3.6 grams fibre, 19 grams carbs, 13% of Vitamin C, and 167% of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
  • Because they are high in glucose, this fruit would make an excellent pre-workout snack

How I prepared my Persimmon (Fuyu):

Slice in half.

img 2637 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

Remove Core.

img 2640 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

Scoop out flesh with a spoon.

img 2644 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

Cut up and take the leap!

img 2649 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

My Permission ripened on my counter for at least 1 week so it was quite soft. In this picture you can also see that there was almost a syrup covering the fruit (high in glucose, don’t forget!).

My taste review:

• Because of the roots or veins in this fruit, it has a very strange texture. The flesh was soft, but once I bite through all of the ‘roots’ it was really crunchy to bite through them.

img 2639 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

• The taste was quite sweet and pleasant
  • Texture = weird, soft yet stringy
  • I had this before my long run on the weekend and I did seem to have a little pep to my step, so perhaps the kick of carbs did the trick. ;)

img 2645 thumb   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

My next Exotic Fruit Experimentation: The Prickly Pear! Yikes!

I best get back to my to-do list. I’m trucking along. No sign of my blender today. I’m seriously in GMM withdrawal! I did receive my HUGE bag of gluten free oats though.  :)

Have a lovely day!

angela signature thumb54   The Persimmon Fruit: Fruit Of The Gods?

haya August 24, 2009

be careful with eating them unripe. there are two varieties of persimmons and one of them, if not allowed to completely ripen, will turn the inside of your mouth to cotton (kind of like eating an unripe banana)

yeah the side bar seems a little funky.

Passionista August 24, 2009

What a great idea to review exotic fruit. I won’t be so scared to try this now. Thanks!

VeggieGirl August 24, 2009

You’re MUCH braver than I am, dear Angela!

Sana August 24, 2009

Yeah, the side bar is at the bottom and the you might also like is in the middle- you will fix it sonn with your new coding skills :) I have no idea how to even work my blog. Are you offering lessons????

I love trying new fruit!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 24, 2009

Well the frustrating thing is that I didnt even touch the code today.

Edit: OH FIXED it, it was because I copied an image from google..weird.

Nikki August 24, 2009

Hi Angela,
I’ve been recently following your blog after coming across the Green Moster Movement on another blog (Healthy Tipping Point). Since I started following a couple weeks ago, I’ve tried your Flax Bfast Power Muffins (Love them!) and the GM (also love it…and even got my Husband to drink it too!)
I noticed that your next test fruit is (what I call) a cactus fruit! My Nana used to get these for us all the time at the Italian Market in Edmonton…and I LOVE them! They aren’t for everyone though, I know I’ve suggested them to friends and they don’t love them as much as me, mostly because they have seeds which are to be eaten with the fruit, but are slightly large (larger than, say, the seeds of a straw or raspberry) Anyway, have fun with it and I hope you like it!

~Nikki

ann August 24, 2009

Hi Angela,

It looks fine from here! Have a great day.

Ann

Lori August 24, 2009

I had to come all the way to Brazil to finally try a persimmon, called a caqui here. Apparently my great grandmother used to grow them in the mid-western US and make jam out of them a long time ago though. I just had never tried them until coming here. They aren’t my fave, but I do love trying new fruits and I love your pictures!

Kerri August 24, 2009

Formatting looks good to me!

Right before your second picture the font/spacing is a little different…as if copy/pasted…not sure if that is intentional or not but it’s the only thing I noticed!

Love the new look – by the way :)

Sana August 24, 2009

oooo, I love persimmons!!! Apparently when I was a little girl I was so obsessed with them that I would finish a box in 2 days!

Barbara August 24, 2009

Oh wow another fruit that isn’t all that exotic over here :) I never really considered having them as a pre-workout snack, I might do that when they come in season! (which will be very very soon)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 24, 2009

All these new fruits you’ve been trying are so interesting! I really like the sound of this one… YUM! I imagine it would be a great addition to a fruit salad or a hot summer day treat.

xxoo
Heather

emily August 24, 2009

as a fellow persimmon lover, i must inform you that this variety needs not to be scooped out. They are quite lovely eaten like an apple or peach, skin and all.
emily

junghwa August 24, 2009

i love persimmon!
you could eat the skin too Angela!
Have you ever tried other variety?

Katie August 24, 2009

Looks yummy. I ADORE prickly pears. They aren’t sold much where I live, but I travel to Mexico frequently and I always get them when they’re in season. Hope you get some good ones!

Eve August 24, 2009

looks interesting…i’ve never had persimmon raw like that but i’ve had it in dishes before. not my favorite, but it’s ok!

jess in NYC August 24, 2009

I hate to say it but, back to school season kinda makes me sad because it means the end of summer and back to the cold season when all I do is wish that it was summer. Not all true, I do like winter a teeny tiny amount, but NYC winters could use a little sun.

Maria August 24, 2009

Prickly pears are one of my favourite fruits. Don’t be discouraged if it’s a bit bland and mealy. It’s REALLY difficult to find good ones in the supermarket in Ontario, because they’ve been shipped so far.

They’re best eaten very ripe and icy cold. You’ll know you have a good one when the flesh is firm but syrupy sweet (it will be greenish-pink or bright purple-pink, depending on the variety). And you eat the seeds! Some people are weirded out by it at first and think that you’re supposed to suck around them.

The easiest way to peel it is to slice off the top and bottom, score through the thick skin lengthwise and peel it back from the flesh much like you would a banana.

Sorry for the 101: I just know lots of people who “don’t like cactus pears” because their only experience has been a mediocre supermarket specimen. :)

Marilyn August 24, 2009

MMM I love persimmons. I don’t like the other variety (that are typically eaten very very soft). I like the Fuyu variety, but not if it’s underripe or overripe.

Jen August 24, 2009

Ooh it seems weird that you’re eating persimmon in the summer! In Japan it’s an autumn/winter fruit (actually the variety that you were eating – Fuyu – actually means winter in Japanese)… mmm, I could go for some persimmon right now.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 24, 2009

Love the info! I tried a Fuyu once; letting it unripen as much as possible. It was sweet, but I must admit, not on the top of my list. Nice for a change though!

Robin August 24, 2009

Beautiful fruit, sounds yummy too.

Barbara August 24, 2009

Ohhhhh i love prickly pear! Lived in AZ for a while:)…yummy in cakes/pies and frozen margaritas but they are TART!!!!

Thanks to you…I’ll be trying a dragon fruit this week!

Angie August 24, 2009

Love your fruit review. I’ve had a persimmon, but it has been awhile- you’re making me want to try one again. Thanks for sharing!!

Chloe August 24, 2009

Fun fact: Historians think the persimmon may be the “forbidden fruit” that Eve at in the Garden of Eden.

Persimmons are great and always remind me of the holiday season. We make persimmon pudding and it tastes wonderful. Maybe you could make a Glopudding this year!

Lainie August 24, 2009

I have never had a persimmon before! I honsetly don’t know that I’ve even seen them in the store, but i think I might try to track them down after reading this…

Mia {runs and rests} August 24, 2009

Those are called kaki here in Japan. The kaki trees that I see around are already with fruits. I have yet to wait for about a month before they fully ripen, though. Can’t wait to munch on these! :D

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 24, 2009

I love your fruit reviews.

Meghan@traveleatlove August 24, 2009

Mmm I love prickly pear! Especially in margaritas :)
Just FYI I am doing a giveaway on my blog of Good Health Natural Products. There will be two winners, one person will win a sampling of snacks, and the other will win a sampling of their natural soaps and lotions. I thought I would let you know since you have done some great posts on natural beauty products. :)

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 24, 2009

I love persimmons, I hardly ever think to buy them though! Loving the random fruit experiments, so fun! Sorry you’re going through GM withdrawals, that’s terrible, hope you get your stuff back soon!

Yay for gluten free oats! I’m thinking about having those for my breakfast in the morning!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) August 24, 2009

Pretty! I’ve never tried one before!

Gertrude August 24, 2009

There are at least 2 different kinds of persimmons. The other one is really soft and mushy and the middle part is kind of like a chewy jello…You basically cut it into quarters and eat it like how you would a watermelon slice on rind. I personally find it kind of gross…=\
But the one you had though, I LIKE!!

Diane, Fit to the Finish August 24, 2009

I’ve never had it before, but I’ve seen it when we lived in a bigger town. (Here, a cantaloupe is exotic!)

Thanks for reviewing such an interesting fruit!

mikey August 24, 2009

hhmm…very interesting- i’m not even sure i’ve seen one of those before. you have me curious.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 24, 2009

Persimmons are good. I like em but it’s not like I eat them more than once a year. Expensive and/or impossible to find when out of season. Where are you getting all this stuff, Angela? Do you have an inside track at The Exotic Fruit Emporium? Just kidding :) Congrats on your GF Oats order. Woo-hoo!!! I’m GF, can you tell I’m excited?!

Salina August 24, 2009

I tried a persimmon fully ripened, and I didn’t like it that much–it was too sweet and gooey.. I really liked the crunch of the almost unripened ones tho, they were goood… :o)

Pricky Pear huh? Can’t wait for that post! During primary school we used to go on excursions with people who used to teach us about “Bush Tucker” – I remember going home with my sister and trying to pick the pears with our bear hands — It took 2 weeks for the prickles to fall out of our palms! Never again!! :o) I’ll definitely leave that one to the professionals..

Michelle Gay August 25, 2009

when they were in season where I almost turned into one. Next time cut them up like an apple. It’s a great texture thing..crunchy and gooey sweet. YUMMY!

Anne Marie @ her new weigh August 25, 2009

Yummy! They look tasty! I love the new layout-very pretty!

Maura August 25, 2009

You might be interested to know that Fuyu is Japanese for winter. :) Just some food for thought.

Eliana August 25, 2009

I Love this fruit!! Its delicious!

Page 1 of 212»