Murder Hill

img 2387 thumb   Murder Hill

Did I mention there are a lot of hills where I live?!

I like to call this hill in particular ‘Murder Hill’ because I want to murder myself when I run it!!!! lol. ;) Today I went up this hill and one of equal steepness right in a row. It was brutal…but fun. Yes, I said fun! I love hill running.

I played Sean Kingston’s ‘Somebody call 9-1-1-Fire burning’ song and it put a little grin on my face.

I love living near such beautiful countryside! I wouldn’t trade this for the city any day.

img 2388 thumb   Murder Hill

I took the last two days off exercise because one of the muscles near my shin was sore. I think the two days off really did the trick because I felt so strong on today’s run! I felt amazing and like nothing could stop me. I maintained about a 9:30-:10 min/mile pace while tackling the hills.

The run:

Distance: 8 miles

Duration: 1 hour 17 mins.

Avg HR: 156 bpm

Max HR: 171 bpm

Max pace: 7:46 min/mile

Avg pace: 9:43 min/mile

I stopped and walked about 6 times for about 30-60 seconds each time. I will be doing a post on the Galloway method soon, as I have been looking into it more and more.

It was such a great run! I ran by streams, farms, open fields. C’est la vie.

Once home, I immediately (and I mean immediately) mixed up a protein swamp water. In the mix: 1 serving Amazing Grass Pom-Mango Infusion and water. This gave me a quick hit of 10 grams of protein to tie me over until I ate.

img 2372 thumb   Murder Hill

It also cooled my forehead!

img 5530 thumb   Murder Hill

I really need to get back into my morning workouts. After this run I felt so energized, happy, and ready to work. Since I started to work from home I put off my workouts until the late afternoon, but today made me remember how energized a great workout makes me feel all day. When I was commuting and in the workplace, I used to get up at 6 and workout first thing. It also gets it out of the way!

My power snack post-run:

Veggie Pizza Crackers:

img 2384 thumb   Murder Hill

Ingredients:

• Mary’s Crackers
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 3 T hummus
  • Organic tomato sauce

img 2377 thumb   Murder Hill

This is officially my new favourite snack!

img 2379 thumb   Murder Hill

I had such a productive day today and was on the phone most of it doing business calls. Typically, I hate being on the phone but the people I were dealing with just happened to be super sweet as pie today! Love that!

• Contacted Lundberg in US RE: bulk brown rice syrup (amazing sales rep named Tom I talked to)
  • Placed bulk Organic Brown Rice Syrup order with co-op (I’m buying 55 lb pails at a time!)
  • Started my RST Tax Return (due Sunday)
  • Followed up on KA appliances- should be shipping out tomorrow :)
  • Sent out some invoices
  • Renewed Costco membership
  • Worked on Eric’s anniversary gift

On tonight’s agenda: Eric is bringing home a second fridge (a friend of my BIL is giving it to us for free!). Here’s to more storage space! I also need to complete my tax return.

Have a good one!

angela signature thumb46   Murder Hill

Do you live in the country or the city? Big city…small city? Do tell! :D

I’ve lived everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I have moved about 15 times in my life. I lived in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, New Brunswick, Ontario and small and large cities. I lived in Toronto for 2 years and lived on one of the longest streets in the world (Yonge Street). Talk about big city girl!

tami August 19, 2009

living in New Hampshire, around every corner there are hills like that…i just think to myself it will make me stronger….

Maureen August 19, 2009

Wow what a nice place to workout. I live near the lake and just love going for walks down there it is so serene and beautiful. I also love working out in the morning and yes it is good because it is done but the best part is how energized you feel for the rest of the day. I sometimes have to drag myself out of bed but as soon as I am on my way to the gym I come alive. Oh and your snack looks great I will definitely be trying that as soon as I buy some avocado. Good luck with your taxes.

Michelle-pure2raw August 19, 2009

I got hills will I live too! I followed the Jeff Galloway training method for running, and luv it. My sister and I did it for the first time last year in our first marathon. It is great because it saves your legs for such long runs. I am no runner, so this helps. He has a few books on it and his website is pretty good to with great information.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Michelle- I totally agree! It was funny, in the two races I have run, I would pass people walking and think that they ‘burned out’ or something, but then like 10 minutes later they would BLOW by me! hahaha. So it must work!

Bree August 19, 2009

I live on a hill in Vermont so I always have that to look forward to (dread) at the end of my runs :) I am going to look into the Galloway method as I have recurring knee tendinitis, but would love to increase my distance/speed.

CJ August 19, 2009

Omg that hill is insane – I moan about the ‘hill’ by my apartment but it takes about 30 seconds to climb!

I live in a big city (london) and wouldn’t change it for the world even if my running times are skewed by traffic crossings and stop lights!

-CJ

Haleigh August 19, 2009

I live in a somewhat big city. Charlotte, NC but I plan to move to Stockholm next year. I love big cities, I just can’t get enough of them.

Susan August 19, 2009

That is one craaaazy hill! Whenever I bike up hills I just tell myelf “whatever goes up, must come down.” Reminds me there’s an end in sight :)

CATIEDIDIT August 19, 2009

I moved from Cleveland, OH (big-ish city) to Chapel Hill, NC (barely a city) for gradschool last year. I was in major culture shock when everyone here said “you have to go downtown, it’s awesome!!” I was surprised to learn that “downtown” here is really different from Cleveland :)

CATIEDIDIT August 19, 2009

PS. I meant to mention that downtown here is only ONE STREET!

Nicole August 19, 2009

That is some beautiful scenery!!!!

Those pizza bites look so tasty. I bet it’d be really good with Gena’s raw pizza cheese recipe. I can’t wait to try it!

Nina August 19, 2009

I grew up in Youngstown NY (right across the river from Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario), and have lived in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, NYC, and now Boston. I also lived in San Fran for 5 weeks to open a hotel, if that counts.

I love both cities and burbs, I think there’s good thinks about both. I miss grass though, haha. I was at my parents’ house a few weeks ago in NY and I walked around the yard for about 20 minutes in my bare feet because I forgot what it felt like.

Also, Love the pizza crackers. I’m so doing that one of these days.

Jolene August 19, 2009

I live in Regina (Saskatchewan). It is a smaller city I would say, but I love it because my friends and family are here.

coffeegrrrl21 August 19, 2009

I’ve always lived in NY but in different areas – Westchester, Manhattan, Long Island, Queens. In all, I have found equal distances between busy streets and serenity (believe it or not even in Manhattan!!!!!!!! ) I often stay with friends for weeks at a time in Mass., Connecticut, California, Michigan and Pennsylvannia. Love it all! I’m itching to move as well ;)

Just out of curiosity Angela, what made you move from the States?

LOVE the blog!!!!!!!!!!

Run Niki Run August 19, 2009

I live in the UP of Michigan, which people tend to think is actually part of Canada. :-/ I live in a college town of about 20,000 on Lake Superior. It’s beautiful, but sometimes I wish I were closer to sporting events, better shopping, concerts, etc. The last 3 years I lived in Chicago (Lincoln Park area), and loved it! It’s a big difference between Chi-town and the UP, but this is home.

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 19, 2009

Oh wow that hill is fierce! I love your reasoning behind its name, muhaha. Those snackie pizza’s look so yummy!

healthy ashley August 19, 2009

THAT HILL!!! I can’t get over how tough that looks. Good for you for tackling it with a grin! I bet that makes the run so much more interesting.

And awesome snack idea!

Sana August 19, 2009

I live in Maryland but a smaller town next to baltimore! Its the first planned city, with TONS of parks and pathways to run on :) I workout in the am, because there is something AMAZING about morning air :)

Valerie August 19, 2009

The road my parents live on is pretty hilly, but definitely not as steep or as long as that. Wow!

Both of the homes I lived in growing up were about 15-20 minutes from small towns, one in southern Ontario, the other in central-northern Ontario. Living in the country was nice, but now that I live in a bigger city for school, I don’t mind it. I think I’d be afraid of Toronto – way too big city for me considering the small towns I lived near had 30,000 people in them. The city I live in is a good compromise!

Pam (Highway to Health) August 19, 2009

What a beautiful landscape to run through! Sure beats my city streets!

I love to pizza crackers. Great idea!

brandi August 19, 2009

mmm, those crackers look great!

your run looks like our running here! there are NO completely flat roads at all. I love it, but it does always make running even more of a challenge. my house is actually in a tiny, tiny town – we don’t even have a stoplight! but I work in a bigger town.

Whitney August 19, 2009

KILLER HILL! I live in a small town near Charlotte, NC. So cool that you used to live in NC!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 19, 2009

wow, that hill makes me want to cry just looking at it! I’m sort of a novice runner, so I’m taking baby steps LoL. Your pizza snacks look super yummy, love all the ingredients, I’ll definitely have to give those a try!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 19, 2009

What a greaaaatttt idea for Mary’s Cracks! Raw pizza snacks. What a keeper, thanks for the idea!

Hill running..fun joy oh joy. Not really, but I do them. The scenery is beautiful where you live.

P.S. if you’re into yoga, do some downward dogs after all those hills to counteract all the calf and hammy tightening you get from hills.

Louise August 19, 2009

Those pizza bites look delicious!
- Louise

Lizzie August 19, 2009

I was born in a small (but now it’s bigger) country town. Moved to the city for university, then moved countries and now live in a compact city but one of the major US ones. Kind of get the best of both worlds – a walkable (and runner friendly) city with heaps to do. The area I live does lack the hills that I need, but I can take public transport to another neighbourhood where there are and workout there. Runners are everywhere and it’s nice to have that kind of unspoken camaraderie.

That hill reminds me of a couple in hometown – one was so steep that it was dreaded by all high school students because inevitably the traffic authority would make you do a hill start as part of your driving test – eek! :)

Meghan@traveleatlove August 19, 2009

I live in Boston, great city, but it does get too noisy for me sometimes! Your countryside looks gorgeous!
I love hill running too! I was going strong then got sick earlier this week, and I miss it.

Morgan August 19, 2009

I just moved from the city (Boston) to the country (northwestern PA) about a week ago. What a change! It is beautiful here, but just not the same. No Starbucks for 30 miles, what did I get myself into?
Those crackers look delish, I can’t get enough avocado lately!

Amy August 19, 2009

I follow the Running Room’s 10:1 philosophy and its fantastic! They say on average you only lost about 30 second per KM running 10:1′s as opposed to someone who runs straight. I feel SOOOO much more rested doing 10:1′s… and on particularly hard runs, its easy to concentrate on 10 mins instead of the distance remaining!

That is one HA-UGE hil!

Suzanne August 19, 2009

Currently living in NYC but a country girl at heart!! We are moving back upstate once I graduate next spring. Those pics remind me of home!!! I miss running on roads like that! C’est la vie — c’est vrai! :-)

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 19, 2009

That does look like a murderous hill!!!
I used to live in the country and now live in the city (Minneapolis). I love the city, but sometimes do miss the country, especially for quiet runs!

Sheri August 19, 2009

Wow..that hill does look killer! You live in beautiful country. I love the rural areas in Ontario. My cousin lives in Niagra On-the-Lake county and I just love visiting her it so beautiful in the summer!

Your snack looks like the BOMB! I am so going to try it…but first I need more Mary’s CRACK-ers! Just finished up the last of them today!

Tay August 19, 2009

That snack looks fantastically yummy!! That hill does look brutal! You ROCK girl for making it up there! I also love hill running :-) Just powering up the hill – so empowering once you reach the top! And then you have downhill to look forward to. Killer legs from hill running don’t hurt either ;-)

I live in a smaller town (about 45,000 pop.), with some fields, but pretty urbanized. I mostly run around neighborhoods.

Gertrude August 19, 2009

the post run snack looks so good! Love the combination of stuff you have on the crackers!
I’m def a big city girl! I had major cultural shock when I moved to Halifax (Nova Scotia) for school and learnt that shops closed around 8pm, and almost nothing is open on Sundays!! But I’ve alwayas wanted to live close to the countryside…the space looks so peaceful, green and beautiful…

Help Meghan Run August 19, 2009

Big city girl here! Never lived anywhere else :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness August 19, 2009

I live in a medium-sized city with lots of lovely countryside nearby :-)
aka Milwaukee, Wisconsin! My apartment is about 5 minutes from Downtown, but we have a large green field next door and Lake Michigan about 1 mile East. It’s the combined city / countryside setting that keeps things fresh!

Lauren @ Team Giles August 19, 2009

Holy hills! I wish I had hills here, its the flat land here in Houston, Texas. :)

theskinnyplate August 20, 2009

What a great snack combo.

Jessica August 20, 2009

ooo those pizza crackers look amazing!
i live in the city, but its a country city … omaha, ne. Lol.
-muffy

Jennie {in Wonderland} August 20, 2009

OK, I love you for those pizza crackers! I am obsessed with Mary’s Crackers but seem to be stuck in a ‘eat them with just hummus’ rut. Since I love avocado and tomato sauce, this is jut a fantastic recipe. Yay! Thanks, Angela!!

PS: Those scenes from your run made me miss Canada.

Page 1 of 212»