My New Favourite Recovery Lunch

fitness

This morning I had my first run since the 10-miler eleven days ago!!! My legs had a very long and restful break! I felt stronger than ever hitting the road today. I had my tunes cranking and the sun was finally shining. The only problem is, I really think I am going to break down and buy a Camelbak running pack because my throat was so dry on this run. I almost stopped into the Firehall I run by. ;)

The run:

• Distance: 10k
  • Duration: 57:12 minutes
  • Pace: 9:17 min/mile
  • Max heart rate: 175 bpm (hills)
  • Avg heart rate: 161 bpm

food

It felt awesome to run a 10k after the long break. :) Put me in such a great mood. When I got home, I was starving and made the most delicious recovery lunch!

I officially have a new favourite lunch!

After seeing this fabulous avocado toast on Veggie Thing, I knew I had to make it.

IMG_1089

It was so simple- right up my alley!

Ingredients:

• 2 pieces whole wheat toast
  • several slices cheese (I used soy cheese)
  • several slices tomato
  • 1 small avocado, sliced
  • Black pepper (I didn’t use any b/c ours BROKE last week- cursed I tell you!)

This. was. so. good. OMG!

I wish I could make you all one! haha ;)

IMG_1080

With a lovely organic Pink Lady apple:

IMG_1083

My recovery protein drink was an Amazing Grass Pom-Mango Infusion Meal:

IMG_1077

I’m stuffed, energized, and happy as a clam. Now time to get back to work!

This pic I took this morning cracks me up!

IMG_1039

Sketchie is happy the sun is back. :D

He lays in the sun and I swear it hurts my fingers to touch his fur it gets SO hot! LOL.

Cats are so clean. I can’t believe I used to not be a cat person! Now I’m a full fledged CCL (Crazy Cat Lady):

IMG_1042

Today’s Question:

Are you a dog person or a cat person? Or both? Neither?

I used to be a dog person. I never understood what all the fuss was about cats…that is, until I got one! Now that I ‘understand’ them (and I used that term loosely!), they crack me up. Such personalities. I find it hilarious that Sketchie’s whole purpose in life is scaring us when we walk by (he jumps out and makes me scream and then runs). LMAO!!!

I would have to say I’m definitely BOTH! A huge animal lover of all kinds. I can’t imagine not having one in my life.

See you tonight for a hot topic on caffeine!

Angela_Signature

1 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 30, 2009

I’m both too. I also have a cat (and need to blog about her more – Niko’s getting all the attention! haha)

Nice job on the 10K!! Woot!
What do you use to measure your distance? Do you have a Garmin or Nike pod or do you just measure out the distance?

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2009

I have a Polar HRM + foot pod that I use :)

3 Ashley July 30, 2009

Dog person. I’m terribly allergic to cats. The most fun I ever had with one was in Bio 2 during High School. Who new dissection could be so fun?

4 JT(the faux foodie girl) July 30, 2009

I am a dog person, but I have never had a cat, so I can’t really claim it with 100% certainty.

I think Sketchie needs his own blog ;) he is hillarious…you take amazing pictures of him.

5 Amanda July 30, 2009

Hooray for the great run! Your lunch looks delicious. I made something similar post-run the other day:

2 pieces of ww bread toasted
Avocado mashed with garlic salt + pepper
2 slices morningstar fake bacon
Grape tomatoes

It was like a delicious, vegetarian blt!!

6 Sarah July 30, 2009

That pic of Sketchie is hilarious. And the toast looks really good!

I love all animals, but I prefer cats to dogs. I like their personalities better. But I’m really a crazy bird lady. My two birds are just the coolest animals in the world.

7 leslie July 30, 2009

congrats on a great run!

i am obsessed with avocado toast right now – your version looks delicious! i’ve been loving just toast, avocado, and some sundried tomatoes – perfection.

8 elliebelle July 30, 2009

Awesome job on the 10K run!
I am definitely a both (dogs and cats) girl. I grew up with dogs, but got a cat in college, and then a sister for her after college – so now I am truly a CCL with 2 cats! But then I moved in with my boyfriend who has a big dog. (I can’t believe she has learned to live with my cats, but she has!) So we have both in our house- which means lots of fun and love – and of course, lots of fur everywhere! :) I love your shots of Sketchie! So cute!!!

9 Leah @ L4L July 30, 2009

I love cats AND dogs but I tend to have cat allergies, especially with long hairs so I lean to prefering dogs. I also like having a running/walking buddy!

10 Susan July 30, 2009

Yes, get a Camelbak, I love mine!! I may look like a dork, but at least I’m a happiily hydrated dork :P I always take a sip from it every 5 minutes, and for some reason those water sips always help break up my runs mentally. Instead of running for a this big block of time, I’m only running five minutes till my next water break ;)

I love both too, but when I can finally get pets I’m going to go with a dog. I want the extra companionship :)

11 allijag July 30, 2009

I’m lovin your easy lunch! :)

I used to be dog person only (I actually would tell people I HATED cats) – then me roomie got one in college, and I fell in LOVE! :) I’m right with ya!

12 JB July 30, 2009

i’m the exact same as you! i grew up with a labrador, and always thought that i was a dog person. i had never had a cat, and didn’t know that they could be fun or cuddly like dogs are. but once we got a cat, i fell in love with him! he’s so wild and crazy, and is also such a cuddle bug! i never knew that cats have so much personality! so i have to say that i’m both a dog person AND a cat person. i’m definitely going to miss my kitty so much when i move away for college! wahhhhh! sketchie is so pretty, by the way! i can for sure see the rascal in him. haha.

13 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 30, 2009

Definitely a dog person ;)

Your lunch looks delish!

14 Whitney July 30, 2009

I love Sketchie, but I am more of a dog person myself. I just love fluffy pups!

15 Pam at Highway to Health July 30, 2009

Mmm your lunch looks like my breakfast this morning!

I felt the same way about cats until I got one. Now I love both!

What type of foot pod do you use? I’m looking for something to track my distance besides google pedometer.

16 Oxidaisy July 30, 2009

I am most defenately a cat person! I have two cats and of course they controle life around here too, lol! The pictures of Sketchie are so beautiful!!He is so cute!
And your lunch looks great too! Congrats on your 10k run, you are doing such a great job living healthy and listening to your body!whoo, that is a lot of exclamation marks, hahaha

17 Andrea July 30, 2009

I love dogs (as you tell by my blog!), though I think all animals are great. I’ve never had a cat, but I love my friends’ cats.

18 Kelsey July 30, 2009

congrats on your run!!! thats an awesome accomplishment after that grueling 10 miler. i’d still be icing my leggies, lol.
i always thought my cats are the cutest, but sketchie is inching up there… :] i’m totally 100% a cat person, without a doubt. i have such a connection with my cat allie, its like she’s my child!

19 Mandy A July 30, 2009

oh my gosh! Sketchie’s pic is so cute!

I have to say I am a dog person…love, love, love big dogs like golden retrievers, labs, etc… of course, my husband does not :( So we have two smaller dogs… but I’m itching for a golden retreiver!

I’d have a house full of pups if I could!

20 Eve July 30, 2009

I had avocado on my sandwich today too! I ran 5 miles and it felt amazing!!!

I’m definitely more of a dog person, but I did have cats growing up. I just love how dogs are more people-oriented.

21 Sheri July 30, 2009

I would have to say that I am both. I had cats and dogs while I was growing up. But right now we are a dog family. We have a Westhighland White Terrier named Zoei and she is the best!

That sandwich looks so delish. Going to have to try it for myself this weekend!

22 Lynn July 30, 2009

You are such an inspiration! I’m making this after my run on Saturday!

Some questions:
1.) Which Polar do you use? I have one that just monitors my heart rate (via chest strap, I don’t like the chest strap) and I’d really like to upgrade to one that tracks distance, too.

2.) I’m totally jumping on the green monster movement. Where do you get all of your cool Amazing Grass cups? Can I buy them online? I don’t see them on Amazing Grass’ site.

23 Jessica July 30, 2009

I’ve always loved cats but had dogs. Now that I have 2 cats, I am totally a CCL too! LOL.
i love your sketchie! me and my bf marvel on how gorg he is!
that sandwich thingy looks delicious!
-muffy

24 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health July 30, 2009

I love both! I have had both growing up and I have 2 dogs and one cat right now. I love watching or cat beat up two dogs at once. It is hilarious. Scetchie is sooo beautiful!

25 Aaron @ CrossBorderCravings July 30, 2009

HUGE dog person! Just love ’em. I have never really understood cats though… maybe that’s something I should work on, lol.

26 Menden (SkinnyMenny) July 30, 2009

Sketchie is just the most gorgeous thing!

I used to think I was just a dog person, and I just ADORE my dog!! But we brought a little cat into our lives at Christmas time last year, and I guess I can say I’m a cat person and a dog person now. I agree- cats have such personality!!

27 Colleen July 30, 2009

I grew up as a cat person because my mom is allergic, but honestly I’m a pig, goat, cow, dog, cat, you-name-it person! If it weren’t for my husband I would have a small farm, but for now we have two precious kitties and the sweetest old-lady dog.

Sketchie is beautiful!!!!

28 Andrea July 30, 2009

I am totally a dog person. And nice job on your 10K!

29 Danielle C. July 30, 2009

I love both dogs and cats but lean more towards CCL!

30 Emily July 30, 2009

could you talk a little more about heart rate and using your heart rate monitor as a training tool? I workout regularly, and my average heart rate gets pretty high (usually i avg between 180 and 190, and hit as high as 215)

31 Red Head, Yellow Dog July 30, 2009

total dog person!! love my toby!

my parents cat does that jumping out from behind corners thing!! in high school, I would groggily wake up for school and walk out to the kitchen and it would just wait for me to ATTACK! not a fan at 6 am.

32 Kelly July 30, 2009

I’m both! (And more!) I grew up on a farm, and, showed horses competitively for 15 years — so I’m probably more of a “horse” person than anything.
Since the suburbia I live in isn’t exactly conducive to horses, I told DH I wanted a cat. DH, in turn, said no cats until after babies (I have no idea on the rationale behind that one) so we rescued a puppy from a shelter instead.
Now DH says I “love that dog more than people” — heck yes I do! Unconditional love, snuggles, and always happy to see me? Sign me up! That’s way better than people!

33 lacey July 30, 2009

Aww love the kitty pics. I just posted some pics on my blog of my dogs licking marshmallow fluff from their faces. There are some funny tounge out action shots.

I am a dog person but I have owned cats in the past. I have nothing against them I just lean more towards dogs I guess.

34 Leah @ Simply Fabulous July 30, 2009

Great run today. I want to get a camelbak too but have no idea where to get one. Any ideas?

There are some here I noticed:

35 J.L. July 30, 2009

hey ange,
though you might like this training quote-

“Brainstorm your training goals first, then write them down. Do this in pencil, so you can change some specifics when reality sets in.” –Jeff Galloway, Olympic runner/author/coach

36 The Running Yogini July 30, 2009

I’m more of a dog person, but I like cats too. I have both, but I do think I show some favoritism to my dog, but my cats are so independent that I don’t think they notice.

37 Maura July 30, 2009

I’m definitely more of a dog person. Infact I have a video of my doggy in one of my more recent posts. :)
I used to hate cats, but me and cats— we’re cool now. We’re alright.
When you run do you allow yourself any walking breaks? You’ve got a pretty good 10K speed. Mine has slowed considerably since I’ve put on a little bit of “being home from healthy college environment” weight.

38 Faith July 30, 2009

What a lovely lunch! Your cat is so adorable!

39 Johanna B July 30, 2009

Cat person all the way. I’ve had cats and kittens my whole life. I can’t imagine not having one in my life. My current love is Smokey Joe a black domestic longhair. I’ve had him for 8 years.

40 Katers July 30, 2009

I like both cats and dogs, but sometimes if the dog is too big/drooly/smelly then I’m not a fan! (Although my own dog is pretty smelly and it doesn’t bother me that much–I’m biased!)

Love your site, it’s been really inspirational for me!

41 Jen July 30, 2009

Lovely lunch!!!!
Im not really a cat person. bad experience with them growing up on a large ranch!

42 Kaila July 30, 2009

I adore both dogs and cats. :D

43 WholeBodyLove July 30, 2009

Sorry Sketchie! I am allergic to cats so I suppose that makes me a dog person. However, my very first pet was a black cat. I named him Figaro after the cat in the Disney movie Pinocchio…I was 3! I loved him. We also had a white cat named Casper (the ghost, from the cartoon). When my sister was 2, her allergist found her to be feline allergic. Unfortunately, that meant that I had to take my beloved Figaro to my grandma’s house…I was so sad! By age 13 I had developed a feline allergy as well. So, I suppose things may happen for a reason.

44 Chloe July 30, 2009

I LOVE my doggie, but some cats grow on me.

Have you seen the runner’s belts that hold water bottles – might be cheaper than a camelback! Congrats on your long run.

45 Beth July 30, 2009

Ooh, thinking about getting a CamelBak? Fabulous! I just bought one earlier this summer to keep myself hydrated on long bike rides, hikes, and runs. I absolutely LOVE it for the first two, but it’s proven a bit problematic for runs. I reviewed mine here: http://muffinlovechick.blogspot.com/2009/07/just-call-me-cycling-camel.html Let me know what you think, and keep me in the loop about whether or not you purchase one and how you like it.

Oh, and I’m a dog person, I think, seeing as I own three. But cats are quite splendiferous as well, in my opinion.

46 Amanda July 30, 2009

I love both, but I’m a little biased towards my cat (Yoda). She stalks me in the halls at night! lol Sketchie is adorable!!!

47 Mellissa July 30, 2009

I am a cat and dog person. I had both animals growing up and I love them both. I love how loyal a dog is to you and just wants to make you happy but on the other hand I love how a cat seeks your attention only when they want it.

48 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 30, 2009

That avocado toasts sounds AMAZING! What a perfect recovery lunch!

I have to admit that I’m a total dog person. I have absolutely nothing against cats and still like them, but I wouldn’t consider getting one for myself. Dogs are definitely my thing! :)

xxoo
Heather

49 Caroline July 30, 2009

I’m a cat person, all the way, but we have two dogs thanks to my husband. I get my cat fix when our roommate’s girlfriend’s cat manages to make it downstairs past the dogs though :) We have quite the zoo.

50 Erica July 30, 2009

Total cat person. We have two, Fred and Ginger. My husband is also a cat person he loves them even though he is very allergic.

51 Bree July 30, 2009

I always thought I was a dog person too, until Ruffian just moved in with us LOL…she is such a funny cat – totally part of the family (also I LOVE how cats are self-sufficient and don’t need to be taken out for walks/bathroom breaks, etc.)…aside from that, I went through a ton of hamsters growing up and have had horses for the vast majority of my life…animals really do enrich our lives :-D

52 lesley July 30, 2009

That looks delicious!

I’m a dog person because growing up my sister was allergic to cats. However, I love cats too ; )

(Though I may retract this statement when my dogs continue to shed TONS of hair ALL OVER my house)

53 Jill F. July 30, 2009

Your Sketchie is such a beautiful kitty! =^..^=
Like you, I was never a cat person. My dad had 2 cats that were crazy and mean, so I just never “connected” with cats growing up the way I did with dogs. When I got married and moved to Japan to join my husband who was serving in the Army, I couldn’t take my dog with me :-( (So he went to stay with “grandma”!!) I missed having a pet over there so much, and my husband always had cats growing up, so he convinced me to get a cat. I was smitten with our little Spritle (tuxedo cat) within about a day, and I’ve never gone back!! While we were still in Japan, a friend of my husband’s found a little stray who had been chased up a tree by some dogs and whose little pink nose was crusty because it was so sunburned. So Emma (another tuxedo cat) joined our family, too! Spritle passed away shortly after we returned to the States and we got another boy (can you guess what kind???!) named Angus. I will ALWAYS have cats in my life now…I love them so much! When I get a house with a yard, I will probably get another dog, too, but I guess you can call me a CCL for now, too! :-) Oh, and your avacado toast looks sooooo delicious!

54 Katie July 30, 2009

Dog person all the way! It doesn’t matter what kind of day I’m having, I absolutely MELT when I see an adorable puppy (or come home to my own!)

I’m not much for cats, but I used to babysit a family who had 2 cats and they were the nicest and most playful cats I’ve ever encountered-I couldn’t believe it! They would sit on my lap and cuddle just like a dog. If all cats were like those two, I would definitely like cats more!

55 Dawn (foodnfit) July 30, 2009

I’m definitely a dog person! This might sounds crazy but I have a strange fear of cats (plus I’m allergic) My friends cat used to torture me as a child lol so it kinda stuck with me. LOVE dogs though!

56 RunToFinish July 30, 2009

Ok, that sandwich is now on the list for this weekend!

I am totally the same way with pets..cats were just uhh cats. Then I got my little man and he is so fun and loving and wonderful…and way easier than a dog.

57 Tay July 31, 2009

CONGRATS ON YOUR RUN!!!! That toast looks awesome. Anything with avocado is awesome!

58 Kath August 1, 2009

I love kitties! I think thEy have a ton of personality too. LOL at Sketchie jumping out to scare you :)and ewww to eating the treadmill spider!!!