Top 3 Core Blasters

She’s Baaaaaaack! :D

Guess who finally had a great workout today?

[insert toothy grin here]

All it took was simply telling myself this:

‘I decided I’m going to go have a kick-ass workout on the treadmill today!’

And something kind of clicked inside me. All I had to do was change how I perceived the situation.

Ok, ok, I also pulled out all the stops to get myself motivated:

On the TV…my fav fashion duo:

img 0933 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

Both race medals. I told myself, this isn’t even CLOSE to the effort you exerted for the races!Suck it up! lol

img 0945 thumb1   Top 3 Core Blasters

Within view was my 10 miler race bib for motivation…

img 0944 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

IShuffle fully charged and ready to go should I need it. Also had Amazing Grass (wheatgrass + water) for added mojo:

img 0946 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

Runner’s World. It was really just there for show since I have already read it cover to cover.

img 0947 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

Pre-workout fuel: A S’moore Glo Bar

img 0949 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

This spider has been tormenting me all week! He hovers right above my head on the ceiling above me. GAH!!!!! I know he is going to just ‘free-fall’ and land on me one of these days! Knowing me, I would probably freak out and fall off!

img 0927 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

I also used a new treadmill trick today.

I typically always go by the clock on the treadmill to judge when I can take mini breaks, right? Well, watching the clock can get really boring!

So today I simply focused on the visual laps on the screen. I told myself I could take a quick break after every 4 laps on the treadmill (roughly 1 mile). This visual trick helped keep my mind off the timer! I also broke up the 4 laps into individual or half-way markers. So for example, on lap two I would tell myself, only two more laps until I can take a quick break. Or just one more lap to go. So simple, yet very effective for me today.

The workout:

• Duration: 1 hour 5 minutes + core work
  • Hill workout: Speed 4.1 mph, incline 15%
  • Core work: See Jodie’s moves below!
  • Max heart rate: 170 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 157 bpm
  • Distance: 4.25 miles

I totally felt like I was my old self today. It was a good feeling not to have to ‘pull teeth’ to get myself to workout! My body also felt well-rested which is always a wonderful feeling. I think it was a good thing that I gave it proper rest days following the race last week. It can be hard to discern what is actual fatigue (mental/physical or both) and what is just the blahs! Either way, I have learned that sometimes some extra time off or reduced intensity can be a good thing regardless of the reason why.

summerglowbannercopy3 thumb12   Top 3 Core Blasters

We have a special fitness guest post tonight by Jodie who is a Personal Trainer/ Pilates Instructor! She is showing us her 3 favourite core moves.

Of course, being a core move freak myself, I was just delighted to feature some new ways to change it up!

1. Balancing Star Plank
Get into the side plank position. So if you start on your left side, your right arm should be extended to the ceiling, now here is the twist, instead of raising your right leg, you will keep the right leg firmly planted on the floor and swing your left leg forward. Hold for 3 seconds and repeat on the other side. 3 reps each side.

balancingstarplank2 thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

2. The Bird Dog Plank
Start in the plank position, feet hip width apart. Your head and spine should be in a straight line, while you raise your right arm out in front of you, and your left leg a few inches off the floor. Hold for 3-5 seconds, keeping body level and stable. Repeat on the opposite side. 8 reps each side.

birddogplank thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

3. Reverse plank with Leg Pull Up (this is a classic Pilates exercise).
It’s imperative to keep your wrists under shoulders, and the hips should be lifted as high as possible and should remain steady.
Inhale and kick left leg towards the ceiling twice. Exhale lower the leg and repeat on the other side. Do 6 reps on each leg.

reverseplanklegpullup thumb   Top 3 Core Blasters

Thanks Jodie! I did these core moves in between my treadmill workout today and they are really effective and a great way to mix up the moves I have been doing. :)

~~~~~

I’m off to bake an order and then cook dinner.

Tonight’s question:

Can you think of any names (1 word only) that might be good for a S’moore Glo bar?

Some ideas myself and other Tweeters have come up with so far:

Fire, campfire, crave, dangerous (let me know if I’m forgetting anything…)

Ideas??

Have a good one!

angela signature thumb73   Top 3 Core Blasters

I must apologize for my quotes of the day being MIA lately…too many things on the go! ;)

The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can.
Robert Cushing

Amy July 29, 2009

I need to try those moves!

Jenny July 29, 2009

Congrats on a great workout today! The mind is such a powerful thing, and it looks like you did every positive thing in your power to change your own mindset! That’s awesome, and I will definitely be using your tips when I need them (we all do sometimes) :)

Great core work!

Lizzie July 29, 2009

Congrats on the energizing workout! When I use the treadmill I never look at the time – I just put it on the average pace – that way I kind of (hopefully) lose track of time and when I check back it will have been half an hour! Your motivation techniques are clever! Also didn’t know the new issue of RW was out – need to pick that up.

Spotty Prep July 29, 2009

I love What Not to Wear! I vote for Campfire, or what about Summercamp? That may be too long, though.

Jenn (Eating Bender) July 29, 2009

Congrats on accomplishing your goal – I love the little helpers you had surrounding you :) And thanks to Jodie for the great core tips – awesome!

As for the Glo bar…what about bonfire, embers, smolder, warmth, sparks, hearth, inferno…using my Thesauras brain…

Sheri July 29, 2009

Way to go with the awesome workout! OK..as for the spider he would be so exterminate if he were above my head! BAH!!!

MarathonVal July 29, 2009

I think I like “campfire” the best! Or Jenn’s “bonfire” idea!

Laura July 29, 2009

How about “threesome” *giggle*.

Katie T July 29, 2009

I vote “campfire”!

Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 29, 2009

For your globar- maybe ‘Haunted’? or ‘Spooky’?

Also- you should realyl get a swifter and smash that spider! I don’t know how you can even workout with it up there, hahaha, I’d be so scared of it falling on me!!

Sally July 29, 2009

I can’t wait to try that star plank at the gym tonight!

I love s’mores! I try not to eat grains or processed foods but sometimes I can’t resist a s’more around the campfire. Maybe you could call the bar “Charmed”? Name inspired by Lucky Charms, which are more marshmallow than s’more, but still related. Or maybe “Gooey”. Yum!

Stephanie July 29, 2009

Heat

Fluff (kinda silly… like marshmallow fluff… )

Retreat (like, you go camping to get away)

Ok, I know these were kinda weird, but trying to think of things that hadn’t been suggested yet!

Karen July 29, 2009

I also thought of Spark. Or how about “Memories”? I always have great camping memories, and I thing a lot of people will make smores at home when feeling nostalgic (hey- how about “Nostalgia” or “Nostalgic”?) for a camping trip!

Karen July 29, 2009

…”and I thing”… should be …”and I think”…

Jaime (Embracing Balance) July 29, 2009

How about “campout”? Although I do like the idea of “nostalgia” mentioned above. Either way it sounds yum!

Catherine July 29, 2009

I vote for “Campfire”! Great job on the workout!

Pam (Highway to Health) July 29, 2009

I think the mental aspect of working out is always the hardest. That is what I struggle with the most.

I also like “campfire” for the S’more’s bars. I looove s’mores and hope to get to try them at some point!

Kyle Janet July 29, 2009

I suggested this on Twitter too, but how about Bonfire instead?

Kyle Janet July 29, 2009

Gahh someone already suggested it :) Good job!

Kayzilla July 29, 2009

Hey Ange, if you need to keep track of quote of the day, you could always RSS feed thefreedictionary.com’s quote of the day, or http://icanread.tumblr.com which also has some great quotes..

RSS feed = best. invention. ever. Never do I have to search out a quote of the day for I have it waiting for me.. in my RSS feed~!!!11two +______+

hehe.

I really like Jaime’s suggestion of “campout”. I know if I was looking through your glo bars and saw campout, not only would I be intrigued by its fancy, yet simple name… But I’d also be able to guess that it’s a s’more bar. “Campfire” is cute too, but “campout” just more.. elegant?

P.S.

We all fall on the treadmill atleast once in our lifetime. I’ve done it before.. Nothing is more traumatizing then falling flat on your face on a fitness machine while there’s cute boys in the room. -sob- Excuse me as I dig out my linkin park soundtrack…

(On the upside, I got the COOLEST scar ever on my knee. Seriously, it’s a pretty lookin’ one. ;) )

April July 29, 2009

Toasted :D

Brittany July 29, 2009

Go to hear that you got a great treadmill workout in today. I totally feel ya on being not being motivated after running a long race. I think our body’s just need some recovery time.

I think the name “In Tents” works well for a smoore bar as a play on the word intense. I don’t know, it sounded good in my head at least.hehe

Brittany July 29, 2009

**Go= Good. I seriously wish you could edit your own comments.

Lindsay (Whim&Waffles) July 29, 2009

I vote for either ‘Smolder’ or ‘Retreat.’ I think both of those make sense when applied to s’mores, but aren’t super obvious, either.

carolinebee July 29, 2009

haha what about, “Glo S’mo!!”

Silllyyy :D

AGS July 29, 2009

Awesome! Glad to hear about the energizing work-out. I like “glow s’mo” and “campout”.

Also, is there any chance that you could do a fashion post in the next two days? I know, I know, that’s really short time. . . but I’m going shopping this Friday. . . and just thought a few ideas would be nice. Particular office wear that transitions from late summer to autumn.

Amie July 29, 2009

Indulge

mmclaughlin July 29, 2009

I like Campfire, Retreat, or Spark

Congrats on the workout!! It motivated me to go get my own done right now!

Run Niki Run July 29, 2009

1. I LOVE What Not to Wear!!!!
2. Those core moves are super challenging!! But effective. :)
3. How about “More”? I can’t wait to order some Glo Bars, they look too delicious.

Krista July 29, 2009

How about “trilogy”? I really like “embers”, too!

Jessica July 29, 2009

Woot for a good workout!

Maybe Fire would be a simple name for the bar. Or Smoke.
Toasted?
I dunno, lol.
-muffy

Erin July 29, 2009

I like Retreat, too! It stays in line with your other bar names, and makes sense with the whole camping idea.
Great workout!

Katie S July 29, 2009

Woohoo!! Good job, girl!! Enjoy your exercise high now :)

Jennie July 29, 2009

I wish I had arms like Jodie. I like campfire the best!

She-Fit July 29, 2009

Sounds like you had one great workout! Way to go

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 29, 2009

Great job! You’re right, too. Sometimes our bodies need a rest. I’ve read where it’s really beneficial to take a whole week’s worth of rest days following a super challenging workout.

For the s’moore bar, how about sizzle? or blaze? I also like the campfire idea or even bonfire. good luck choosing! They all sound good, really.

Susan July 29, 2009

Kindling? Smoky mountain? S’molder? S’moky? I dunno… :P

That screen shot of What Not To Wear is classic! Yay for getting your workout mojo back!! Do you ever take full rest weeks? I try to do one every three months or so. Just take a full week off with only light activity like walking or yoga. Helps my body fully recover and keeps me motivated :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 29, 2009

I like Retreat, Spark, and Mellow. I’m sure you’ll pick a good one! :)

xxoo
Heather

Jodie July 29, 2009

Thanks Angela for featuring my core blasters. I am glad you had a great workout.

For the Glo bar, how about “Golden”.

Amanda July 29, 2009