10 Miler Music Playlist!

Good morning!

First up:

Contests, contests, contests!!

1) The Amazing Grass contest ends tomorrow, get those entries in! Please note that I have a backlog of GM submissions, so not to worry if yours is not up yet! You have a chance at winning 4 bottles of Amazing Grass powders, a tee, and a shaker!!! Awesome stuff. :)

2) Canadians: Would you like a chance to win one of the SGBC Neal Brother’s Prize Packages? All you need to do to enter is leave a comment on a post over at Green Monster Movement. Contest ends Friday.

3) Stay tuned later today for a super fun surprise SGBC contest! Note: This one is US resident’s only! Any guesses???

~~~~~~~~~~~~

fun thumb4   10 Miler Music Playlist!

I know I have been promising to tell you what is on my playlist for a long time now. I meant to post it a while ago, right before we had our major computer issues and then I couldn’t. So finally, here it is. Luckily, Eric created a totally new and fun playlist for me right before my 10-mile race on Sunday! I was so thrilled because I had been listening to the same songs over and over and over…

So without further ado, I present to you my playlist that I listened to during my race!

Please note that the songs with a star marked next to them were the songs I mainly listened to during the 10 miles. I tend to zero in on the songs that really pump me up and I stick with those, even if I listen to them several times during the run. :)

Also, note the super cool KEY I created at the bottom of the playlist! ;)

playlistf thumb   10 Miler Music Playlist!

So as you can see, I only listened to a handful of songs during my race. Many of the songs I just wasn’t ‘feeling’. Nothing is worse than listening to bad music- especially when you are struggling in a race.

So let me clarify the key above a little to give it some context.

The RED songs, were the songs that I listened to when I was feeling ticked off. At some points during the 10 mile race, I felt kinda ticked or angry. haha. It sounds funny, but it’s true. I was at the stage (i.e., mile 7-8!) where I just wanted to be DONE already! I also got a bit annoyed at my body because it couldn’t go any faster or when my pace dropped from an 8 minute mile to a 9 minute mile. These RED songs helped get my anger out in a constructive way and re-focus my mind back on what I could do. Remember a while ago when I said I found a song that totally pumped me up? Well, it was ‘In Bloom’ by Nirvana if you can believe it. I’ve since wore out the song on my playlist, but it still does the job in a pinch. Black Cloud is my new favourite angry song and I listened to it a few times during my race!

The GREEN songs are the fun and playful songs that put a smile on my face. I listened to Golddigger, Day + Night (NEW FAV), and She’s Got Issues (Classic!!!!!!!!!) to help me see the lighter side of things and take me down memory lane. Offspring always takes me back to middle/high school. ;)

The ORANGE songs are what I call zone out songs. They were songs I listened to during the race when I was feeling a bit ambivalent or just wanted to tune everything out and try to find my groove. Step Into A World is a calming, eerie song with a nice heavy beat.

The PURPLE songs are those awesome energizing songs that we all love! My new favourite song to run to is Sean Kingston’s FIRE BURNING. LOVE, love, love running to this song! A reader recently suggested it to me and I haven’t turned back since. ;) Fatboy by Maximillion is another fun energizing song too.

Finally, The BLACK songs. You may have wondered why I teared up 3 times during my 10-mile race. Well, I blame a song called Infinity 2008 by Guru Josh Project. Don’t ask me who they are because it was my first time hearing the song. Eric introduced me to it and I knew it would be a kick butt running tune. Click here to listen/watch the lyrics on You Tube. It has a wicked running beat around 48 seconds.

The song sort of has these subliminal messages in it. Or so it sounds that way anyways.

Some lyrics from Infinity:

Infinity, infinity

The time goes by
So naturally
Why you’ll receive
Infinity

It’s very soothing :)

So there you have it! The good, the bad, and the ugly of my playlist. I must admit I am pretty smitten about some of these songs right now. Some of the songs on there I wouldn’t listen to while running if you PAID ME. I really should delete some of those on there. I won’t mention any names. ;)

I did a treadmill workout last night and listened to this playlist and I was so pumped up! Now I associate this playlist with the emotions of the race so I like it even better. :)

Today’s question:

What are your current favourite workout songs that pump you up and keep your energy going strong?

Any surprises about my playlist?

Do you think music gives off different moods or feelings like I indicated it did to me in the race?

angela signature thumb52   10 Miler Music Playlist!

HeatherBakes July 22, 2009

Interesting playlist! I love that there are songs that you listened to over and over- I do the same thing. There are certain songs that I’ve put on EVERY running playlist for the past, oh, 5 years?

Amanda July 22, 2009

yay new music! i have to listen to pump up music–any songs that have a really awesome build up to the chorus are perfect for me. then i can do the slow pace verse, fast pace chorus routine!

Sarah July 22, 2009

We have very similar taste in music! I love the Nirvana and “Do Somethin” by B.Spears is one of my all time favorites to work out too, it really makes you move ;-)

MarathonVal July 22, 2009

While training for my first marathon, my FAVORITE song was “Stronger” by Kanye West. I could not hear it on the radio without having a freakish desire to go run my ass off regardless of what I was in the middle of doing!

During the actual marathon I probably listened to it about 30 times!!

Jenn July 22, 2009

I normally listen to pretty chill music while I run (My sister calls me a zen runner, I don’t ever wear a watch or time myself) but my husband recently added Eminem’s ‘Til I Collapse and 8 Mile to my music player. They’re insane. Some of the words are terrible, but the beat and the chorus, it makes me a maniac. I can’t NOT run fast if they’re on. I usually turn to those the last mile of a long run, when I don’t have much left.

Katie July 22, 2009

NO doubt I listen to Daughtry mainly when run (anything from both CDs), This Town (O.A.R.), Show Me What I’m Lookin For (Carolina Liar), I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas), The Climb (Miley Cyrus), Big Green Tractor (Jason Aldean) annd Barefoot and Crazy (Jack Ingram) just a few of my new ones and my old favorites.

Jenn July 22, 2009

MarathonVal, I totally hear you! That was on my playlist for my first half too!

Erin July 22, 2009

I love your playlist. I have some of the same songs on my playlist. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but my favorite song for running is Move by Ludacris. I have had that on my playlist since 2001 when it came out! That was way back when I had an early MP3 player that could hold 15 songs! HA! It reminds me of my high school track days and motivates me to run. Beware, it is not a clean song.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2009

haha I used to have Stronger on my playlist for a while and I wore it out big time! Maybe it’s time to bring it back!

Eminem- ohh never thought of that! I will add those songs.

Amanda July 22, 2009

Some of my recent favs are “I know you want me” by Pitbull, “Gotta Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas, “Love Drunk” by Boys Like Girls, “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus…

Eilzabeth July 22, 2009

I have 17 of the songs you posted above on my current workout playlist rotation…you’ve inspired me to make a similar post sometime soon to highlight the more obscure tracks that keep me running! I tend to go straight for the high energy, keep the feet moving kinds of tracks.

A few recommendations/spoilers from my upcoming post:
I downloaded the free Summer Music Mix from Stanford a month ago – it’s still available at http://itunes.stanford.edu/summermusicmix/. My running tracks from there are Bounce by MSTRKRFT, Wavin’ Flag by K’nann, and Mas Fuerte by CuCu Diamantes.
Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey (cheesy, I know)
Give It To Me by Timbaland (featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake, of course)

Amy July 22, 2009

Ultimate running song = Traffic by DJ Tiesto.

Totally not my kind of music, but its amazing.

When I finished my marathon, Celine Dion’s “I Drove All Night” was playing as I crossed the finish line. I hate her, but that song will forever remind me of the accomplishment.

Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 22, 2009

Fun songs! I always love listening to some new mixes for runs. Have you ever listened to Norwegia recycling while running? It’s not something I’d listen to outside of a run, but their mixes are so good for pump-up music while running! they basically flow together a bunch of songs into one. I think you can download some for free online too!

Melanie July 22, 2009

Hi everyone – my first comment yay!

I found some free software (mixmeister?) that analyzes your mp3s for their beats per minute and found that my favourite songs to run to tended to be around 75-85 (or double – 150 to 170) bpm. So then I analyzed all my other songs to find others in this range and made up a whole playlist of perfect running songs.

I would definately recommend trying this if you have time!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 22, 2009

Single Ladies- Beyonce
Boom Boom Pow- Black Eyed Peas
Say Hey (I Love You)- Sean Kingston
The best EVER!

Barbara July 22, 2009

Great playlist. The few 1/2 marathons I have done, they won’t let you run with earplugs due to it being dangerous:(

Bummer…..

Victoria July 22, 2009

Hey Ange !

Just to say again that I love reading your blog and look forward to it every day :o)

I actually find it near impossible to run without music most of the time, I have been known to stop and walk home if my battery runs out!

Fave songs at the moment

-Summer Jam by Craig David and Artful Dodger
-Click Flash (just remind me of the SATC film and makes me work harder as I am so inspired by the lyrics and gorgeous celebrities)
-Right kind of wrong by LeAnn Rimes, I think I just love the beat
-Sweet Dreams – Beyonce. I just think of the video – she looks so strong and beautiful! I love it

I really go through stages and once I’ve worn out a song I have to give it a rest for AGES!

Hope you’re all having a super day xoxox

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 22, 2009

I love how you choose songs depending on how you are feeling!

fun choices, too ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 22, 2009

I was a little surprised at your play list, but I really wasn’t sure what to expect. haha. I love how you play different songs for different emotions throughout the race though!

Mellissa July 22, 2009

I love listening to Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, The Gear Daddies (A Minnesota Band) and Audioslave and Kelly Clarkson (although I don’t admit that out loud to often ;) when working out. I like fast music that will keep me going.

Pam July 22, 2009

I love your playlist key! All emotions covered..he he!

Ali July 22, 2009

Great playlist, I am always looking for new songs to listen to when I’m doing a long run. This is perfect!

Stephanie July 22, 2009

I love music while running but I do not use it for one major reason. They do not allow headphones in the Boston Marathon so I do not use them while running/training each year because I need to get used to listening to my breathing. Also, on race day so many people cheer you and your charity on that I feel almost rude using them. So, I always run without music although Id love to have some.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 22, 2009

Thanks so much for sharing that playlist! What an awesome mix of songs. Lots of different paces, moods, beats, etc.! I’m totally with you on the fact that different songs can make you feel a certain way and can make a huge difference in your energy levels. Personally, I like to exercise without music and take the time just to reflect, think, and relax, but I always love hearing what others enjoy listening to!

xxoo
Heather

April July 22, 2009

I totally think music affects your mood.

I love Foo Fighters, Best of you and anything by Static X…gets you angry :)

~Jessica~ July 22, 2009

I definitely think listening to music gives you an edge when running ~ tunes with fast, pulsing rhythms are great for picking up the pace when endurance is starting to wane.

I have Smells Like Teen Spirit on my iPod too : ) Most of my songs are ‘angry’ songs but I suppose that’s because I’m a pretty angry person :P I love Burn it to the Ground by Nickelback, anything by Rammstein (understanding of German not required), All my Life by the Foo Fighters, Metallica’s Enter Sandman…the list goes on and on! I do have a few cringe-makers on there though; tunes I would never consider listening to unless I was running (I’m talking I’m Still Standing by Elton John and Whatever You Want by Status Quo here!)

I like that someone else has quite a diverse playlist: when you’re a metal fan like me you often get the mickey taken out of you if you ever listen to anything else…

Amy July 22, 2009

My latest playlist fav’s are:
Jump…Flo Rida (featuring Nelly Furtado)
Her Diamonds…Rob Thomas
I Gotta Feeling ….BEP
Imma Be…BEP
That’s Not My Name…The Ting Tings

Nothing better than downloading a few new tunes for workout motivation!

Bree July 22, 2009

Awesome Ange!

Couple of my fav energy songs:

Stronger – Britney Spears
Sinead O’Connor – Emperor’s New Clothes
Sugarland – Something More
Tatu – All The Things She Said
Texas – Inner Smile
Offspring – Hit That

Other Favs:

Coldplay – Clocks (omg, top 10 all time favs lol)
Gwen Stefani – Cool
John Mayer – Say
Jordin Sparks/Chris Brown – No Air
Phil Collins – Can’t Stop Loving You
Rascal Flatts – Mayberry
Shawn Colvin – Sunny Came Home
Sinead O’Connor – Heroine
The Corrs – Runaway
The Corrs – Breathless
Switchfoot – Dare You To Move
Tori Amos – A Sorta Fairytale

that list could be a lot longer lol :-)

Chloe July 22, 2009

I’m totally surprised by your playlist – love all the rock in there. I usually stick with the same old songs until I get sick of them but my recent favorites have been by Lady Gaga, Kanye, and Rhianna. I need a beat to keep me moving!

Hmmmm….next giveaway? I’m thinking Glo Bars?

Angi July 22, 2009

My zen end of the workout song is “God is a DJ” by Pink. It just makes me smile an I can push through the end of whatever I am doing.

Totally unrelated note: My AG showed up today! I did have to pay a small duty fee on it though. I can’t wait to try it this afternoon (it arrived just after I finished lunch). I really want one of those shaker thingys though.

Blythe July 22, 2009

Hi Angela!

I do the same thing–except my list of “angry” songs are all girl-power, man-just-dumped-you songs. Even though I am happily engaged and marrying my best friend in 2 months, I like to pretend I am a love-scorn woman who just caught her man cheating on her. And what else would make you run faster than that? Best one yet? “I Will Love Again” by Lara Fabian. Great to just belt it out and think about all those craptastic ex-boyfriends hahaha!

Jenn July 22, 2009

I’m not surprised by your playlist at all. I totally felt you were that kind of girl! Actually, I think I have the most schizophrenic playlist ever and I’m dying laughing because I thought I was the only goof that had Fat Boy on her playlist!

I have a few other oldie but goodies from my Electric Circus days that STILL pump me up after all these years…Conway and Move It by Reel 2 Reel and of course, Beautiful Life by Ace of Base is still my all time workout inspiration song.

Like you, I also have my hard, moody music…Welcome to the Black Parade and Mama by My Chemical Romance come to mind. And since it’s summer, of course you have to have Summer Jam on your list (I see somebody else here does) – it seems to get remixed every single summer!!

I love seeing what others listen to. It’s always great to get new ideas for workout songs.

Jessica July 22, 2009

to be honest, my playlist doesn’t really do it for me much. i have to keep flipping songs to find one that motivates me … sometimes it is rap sometimes it is simple piano music … that is what i need to find more of – relaxing stuff. i really enjoy listening to piano because you can still get that gusto out of it.
-muffy

Holly July 22, 2009

I’m totally the same way with “recycling” songs during a long run. I’m more into classic rock than “pop-y” bubble-gum, uhm, stuff.

Some of my fav’s:

Who are you- The Who
Baba O’Riley- The Who
Dancefloors- My Morning Jacket
Don’t Let the Man Get You Down- Fatboy Slim
Immigrant Song- Led Zep

LilyBeans July 22, 2009

I love infinity! Such a good workout song, great pick Eric!

Help Meghan Run July 22, 2009

Current favorites for running: “I Gotta Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga…either “Poker Face,” “Just Dance,” or “Love Game.” :)

Jess July 22, 2009

I never would have thought put Alanis on a workout playlist, but hey whatever works for you! I listen to non traditional stuff, since my favorite type of music is hardcore rock. I love to run to the album Homesick by A Day to Remember, since it has the driving back-beats and power anthems to keep me going. My other favorite band is Protest the Hero, but it’s a little slow to run to, but I love doing hill climbs on the bike to their music. Gives you something to dig into and pump it out! Music is such a great motivator in all parts of my life.

amy (veganissexy) July 22, 2009

I love the playlist! My go-to workout mix has a lot of Pitbul (you would love, btw) Black eye’d peas, Britney, old school Prince & Janet Jackson (I can rock it to Nasty Boys & Control) and the whole “Step up: 2 the Streets” soundtrack which has LOTs of great workout songs :

Amie July 22, 2009

I second the Pitbul! Other songs/groups that I like for working out – Black Eyed Peas, Eminem – Lose Yourself (message in the chorus is motivating), Breathe – Breaking Benjamin, Disturbd, Fall Out Boy, Kanye – Stronger, many more that I can’t remember! :) I listen to a lot of hip-hop while working out (and otherwise) also…

Kristen July 22, 2009