A New Distance: My 10-Miler Race Recap, Part 1

I DID IT!

IMG_0068

I had SO much fun at the Acura Toronto 10-Miler & 5k race today!!!!!

I have a new distance record today- 10 miles, baby! Previously, the longest distance I have ever run was 8 miles. It felt so freaking amazing to run in this race!

WAKE-UP CALL:

5:15am. I should have been up at 4:30am, but I just wanted more sleep. Total sleep time = 4.75 hours! Boo! The funny thing is when my alarm went off this morning I LEAPED out of bed with a huge grin on my face. Only a race could make me do that!

Here I am packing up my bag! I was excited, excited, excited. All the nerves left me last night!

IMG_9994

I decided against the Green Monster Movement tee because I felt like white material + me sweating might be a bit see through by the end of the 10 miles. ;)

The race was held in Toronto’s ‘Distillery District’. It is such a unique and funky part of Toronto!

The following photos are credit of Eric! He took these while waiting for the end of the race.

IMG_0002 IMG_0005

Last night he was joking around with me and he goes, “Wanna give me a call when you are a few minutes from the finish line?” LOL :D

IMG_0024 IMG_0025  IMG_0027 IMG_0029 IMG_0034

Cool area, eh? :)

I have new RUNNING BUDDIES!

Meet Emily, Jon, Alex, and Gillian (l to r):

IMG_4440

It was SO cool to meet all of them!!!! We have been planning this for a while now, so it was great to meet them in person. They are all super cool, down to earth, and very fun! It felt so good to be at a race with other running friends. My last 10k was a bit lonely! lol. ;)

LOOK –> OPERATION BEAUTIFUL sighting!!!!!

IMG_4438

Alex made it for the back of her tank!

It was nearing 8am so we headed over to the start line to find our corrals.

Gillian and I chatting away:

IMG_4442

IMG_4443

And then we were off! Eric was so sweet and created a totally new + fun playlist on my Ipod Shuffle last night! It was a LIFESAVER! Totally pumped me up. New music = more energy.

Course map:

coursemapgggggggggggggggg

Miles 1-2:

Of course I ran too fast for the first couple of miles- about a 7:30min/mile pace. I knew I couldn’t maintain this speed forever, but I just couldn’t hold back my excitement!!! It is so hard to start off slow and steady for me. I used to run short sprinting distances in school, so I am used to giving it my all for a short amount of time. I always used to suck at long distances if you can believe it! Just goes to show what some training can do.

Mile 3:

Teared up. Classic Ange! Was thinking about how lucky I am to have my health. I also started to get a bit scared of the distance that lay before me. I think because I ran so hard at the start it made me feel a bit burned out early on.

5k:

I made sure to check my 5k time so I could compare it to my previous 5k time on the hilly 10k course from June. My time for the 5k today was 25 minutes and 15 seconds, beating my previous 5k time by 3 minutes approx!!! Just shows what some major hills can do to speed!

I stopped at every water station I passed…I think there were 7?? At the 3rd water station, I accidently took GATORADE and immediately gulped it down and then I thought…OH NO! I was worried it was going to make my tummy upset. New things on race day = NOT good, right?

Well, guess what?

The Gatorade was awesome for my energy! While I hate the taste I got a huge shot of energy compared to the water. It was Gatorade from then on! I found myself looking forward to it at each water station too.

Miles 4, 5, 6: Tommy Thompson Park:

There were things I liked about this park- it was surrounded by water and had beautiful views of the Toronto skyline- and there were things I didn’t like. For one, it was quiet- no spectators except for a few race workers here and there. It was also very windy. I thought that the wind would be on my back on the way back, but it wasn’t- it actually got WORSE! I found myself praying for a decline.

One thing I discovered about flat courses is that they are pretty boring and require lots of mental discipline to get through them!

I thought that a flat course would be ‘easy’, but what I didn’t consider was the fact that since I was running on a flat course, my pace would be faster. So I didn’t notice any decrease in intensity, I mean, DUH I was racing of course!

10k:

Teared up. I thought to myself, ‘A 10k is such a PERFECT distance for a race!!!!’

LOL…never good, right?! I was ready to dust myself off and call it a day! The thought of running more than 6 more kms did not appeal to me. I was pushing hard during the entire race and I was starting to feel tired. The thought of my Cliff Shot (in my cleavage- oh no she didn’t!!) almost made me want to gag. I stuck with my Gatorade.

My time for my 10k surprised me as well- it was around 51 minutes, which beat my previous 10k time by about 7 minutes.

Shortly after I reached the 10km marker, this lady was cruising past the finish line!!!! LOL!!

IMG_0043

That’s the outfit you wear when you want to be the first female to cross the finish line. Her time was approx. 59 mins for the 10 miles! MY GOD! Puts things into perspective eh? haha. Kudos to her!

Mile 7:

Was not that great. I was tired, tired, tired. Pushing hard. My music volume went way up. Luckily, I had some ROCKING good tunes to play and they honestly saved me! One of my favourites was ‘Fire Burning’ by Sean Kingston (I think?). That song rocks my socks!

Mile 8:

Teared up. Realized I was now in new territory. Each step was another distance I had never run before- AWESOME!

I thought to myself, ‘ONLY 2 MILES, whohoooooo!’ and then I realized that still meant 3k left. Sure, it doesn’t sound like much, but it did to me at the time! ;) I kept asking myself, ‘Where is the last street!?’ I guess it helps to know the course and that I did not.

Mile 9:

Homestretch. I wanted to say that I sprinted my last mile, but I knew I would burn out if I tried to sprint. My pace went from around a 9 minute mile (from miles 5-9 approx) to an 8 or 8.5 minute mile. It was everything I could give!

A lady working in the race, was cheering us on from the sidelines. I told her thank you and I smiled. She said, ‘Such a beautiful smile!!!’ And that honestly got me through the last couple kms. I wish I could thank her again for encouraging me because I needed it badly!

15k-16.1k:

I think I ran the last km at around an 8 minute mile pace. Gave it every last ounce I had left. Then I saw the finish line and I SPRINTED. My pace got up to a 6 minute 43 second mile. Me and three other runners crossed at the same time.

Clicky:

IMG_0055

After the race Eric found me and we high fived! lol. I love high fiving. Nothing brings me back to the 80’s faster.

I did lots of stretching immediately after the race. I was SO happy and proud of myself for finishing the race.

IMG_0068

We all met up shortly after and congratulated each other! We were all so happy. Emily wasn’t there because she ran the 5k and obviously finished way sooner! I heard she beat her time by 3 minutes- go EM! :) IMG_0071

After getting some food, Eric and I eventually left for home! We had about a 10 minute walk to our car. I periodically stopped to stretch. :D

IMG_0089

The lovely CN Tower:

IMG_4452

Before we left I did some leg stretches lying down in the back seat of the car. I am so glad I did all this stretching, I feel so good right now!!! Much better than I felt after my 10k race.

POST-RACE GLOW: :D

IMG_4460

Numbers, numbers, Numbers!

Luckily, the official numbers are already up on the website (that was quick!):

My Official Chip Time: 1 hour 26 minutes 43 seconds

(I was SO happy with this!)

I placed 178th out of 830 women.

I placed 27th in my division of 157 women aged 25-29

My average pace was 8:30 min/mile

My max pace was 6:43 min/mile (finish line)

My max heart rate was 180 bpm

My avg heart rate was 171 bpm

I couldn’t be any more proud of the progress I have made since my injury. Treating the body right = PROGRESS. I took more rest days off lately than ever, and I think it only helped me more!

Oh, and PS- Being a spectator is HARD WORK!

IMG_4464

He’s been sleeping since we got home. lol.

~~~~~~~~~

Ok, my next post: FOOD, GLO-RIOUS, FOOD! I bet you were wondering where it was, right? I purposely left it out.

YES, my food needs its’ own post! hahaha.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL SUPPORT! I don’t think you realize how much YOU all inspire me!

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Irene Fung July 12, 2010

Hi Angela,

I left a msg on your blog on June 5 saying that I felt inspired by your story and wanted to run the race this year, but I doubted if I could handle it. You emailed me and said I could try – and I did. I ran a PR of 2:10:26 at the 2010 Acura 10 Miler yesterday:

I run like a turtle. But I’m super proud of myself. ;-) Before May this year, I had never even run 3km in my whole life, and I’m already in my 40’s. I feel much better about myself after I started running ;-)

THANKS for your inspiration and encouragement!

thank,
irene

david July 12, 2010

Hi Angela,
I ran my first Acura 10 mile race yesterday, and I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience when running it yourself. It seemed a little familiar because of that. I’ve never been one to read blogs, but I found yours when looking for info about the race and I really enjoy reading what I’ve seen so far…it also makes me hungry :-)
Congratulations on your achievements and your race results.
Stay fit and have fun
David

Irene June 5, 2010

Congratulations! What a wonderful piece! Love the pics and writing.

I hope to run the 10 miler this year but don’t know if I can finish the race in 2hr 40 min – the finish line will shut down after 10:45 ;-( I googled about the race and now feel inspired by your story! Will hit the gym tmr and practice!

Lauren August 9, 2009

Would it be possible for you to list your ipod playlist from your race, I am training for a 5K and would love any suggestions that you have! Thanks!

TINA July 22, 2009

Congratulations on your 10 miler!!!

'Dee July 21, 2009

I am so PROUD of you! What an amazing accomplishment. I would say “I can only dream”, but I used to say that about running more than a minute at a time, so now I know – it can be your reality, not just your dream. Congratulations, Angela. You earned this!

britt July 20, 2009

i am SO proud of you! it’s great that all that training (and recovering) has brought you to this point. congrats!!

Menden (SkinnyMenny) July 20, 2009

Congratulations, Angela! It’s so fun to read about your race experience…and so inspiring!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) July 20, 2009

WAY TO GO ANGELA!

you have given me the much needed inspiration to re-invigorate my marathon training! thank you!

have a fabulous monday!

Meghann July 20, 2009

Congrats on the amazing race. Everything you just put into words is the reason why I love racing so much. It really is a very emotional experience learning exactly what your body can accomplish when you work hard at it. I just can’t wait until racing season starts up again here in FL. Rock on!

Anne P July 20, 2009

congrats!!! i just started training for my first 10 miler in october… eek!!

bobbi July 20, 2009

congrats girl way to rock it! I need another race :)

Rebeca July 20, 2009

Congrats Ange, soooo inspiring!

Krista July 19, 2009

Congrats on a great race, Ange!!! (((HUGS)))

Erika July 19, 2009

Congrats hon…I am so proud of you. I bet you had a TON of fun especially as you had such wonderful support and much better fueling prior to the run. I love the longer runs so much more than the shorter ones. They are addictive though :)
And I love that your honey goes with you and cheers you on…now if you can just get him to run it with you ;)
Huggggs

Annie July 19, 2009

Yay, Angela! What an awesome accomplishment :D And you’re such an inspiration for me as I train for my upcoming 5k. You glo girl!

Angi July 19, 2009

You are so gorgeous! You were wonderful today, you should be so proud of yourself!

Katherine July 19, 2009

YAY! Glad you had an AWESOME race!

Jess July 19, 2009

Congrats Ange! You rock!

ttfn300 July 19, 2009

CONGRATS!!! funny, mile 7 was always the hardest for me, too :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 19, 2009

Congratulations, Angela, you are so awesome!

Sharon July 19, 2009

WOW! Such a great accomplishment! You really are an inspiration!

Eri July 19, 2009

You are so amazing.You inspire me.:]
You always look so pretty when you get really estatic. reminding me, that i posted a post-it note yesterday which i totally believe in “the prettiest thing you can wear is a smile”

Congrats on your shiny new medal! Pretty soon you’re going to have a collection, a different one to wear every day of the week if you wanted to.:]

and that woman’s speed is insane, she’s probably been training for a veryyy long time though.

The Healthy Hostess July 19, 2009

Great Job Angela! It’s such a great feeling to have a gone farther than ever before!
:) Congrats!

Jodie July 19, 2009

Awesome job Angela. Congrats.

Farah July 19, 2009

Congratulations!! I teared up a couple times just reading this post. I hope you continue to feel wonderful. You’re an inspiration!

Rocky Road July 19, 2009

Congratulations Angela on a wonderful effort. You must feel incredible having achieved your goal!

Everytime I am feeling like I’ve lost the plot with my fitness and healthy eating I just visit your blog and I’m inspired all over again.

erin m July 19, 2009

WOW!!!!! Congrats girl! What an awesome job! You deserve to be proud and you do have a beautiful smile! You inspire me to go for something like that too! Way to go! Now go have a nice feast!

Bree July 19, 2009

Congrats Angela! Such an amazing accomplishment!

Melanie Z July 19, 2009

Congrats on the race girly! I hope to be able to do that someday too!!

Jenn July 19, 2009

Woooo hoooo! Congratulations, I had goosebumps reading your post. I’m so happy for you – what a thrill. And I told you!!!! Fire Burning is THE BEST song ever for getting motivated during a run…I have it multiple times on my Run Playlist. And yes, it’s Sean Kingston, not Sean Paul as I had said in error a few weeks back. ;)

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? July 19, 2009

Well done Angela! That is very impressive :) I have a 10k next Sunday – eek!

Allison July 19, 2009

awesome job Angela! you may have just inspired me to give running another try :)

lora July 19, 2009

congrats! you did awesome and you are such an inspiration! i am signing up for a race NOW! lol…have a great rest-Sunday! enjoy a day off tomorrow to!

xoxo
lo

Kristine July 19, 2009

you rock!

Christy July 19, 2009

Congrats. I love TO….I wish I could run up in Canada this time of year.

Great pics…great race….good for you

AND I love the bib message on your friends’ tank. I think I will borrow it! ;-)

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 19, 2009

Haha! Aw, poor Eric! What a trooper he was!

AND – Even though I tweeted this to you – CONGRATS!!! That is such a huge accomplishment! You should be SO proud!!

Susan July 19, 2009

Ohhh I forgot to mention…after my last marathon, I think my spectators were wayyyy more tired than I was! They were napping at 6pm!

Susan July 19, 2009

LOVE every single thing about this post – congrats Ange!!! You are too funny tearing up during a race. Pretty sure the only tears I shed running are allergy tears :P You are fast too, I can’t believe you maintained that pace for such a long distance. You totally rock my socks off :D

Oh, and that hardcore lady is priceless!! One of my favourite part of racing is getting to see all the pros who are in it to win it. So inspiring, intimidating, and often funny due to their clothing choices :P

Have fun re-fuelling and basking in the post-race glow!

Susan July 19, 2009

Congrats on a great race!