One Of My Biggest Life Lessons…

A whole lotta this…

IMG_9943

And a whole lotta that…

IMG_9945

And a whole lotta water…

Makes a great pre-race dinner.

IMG_9942

This is one of my favourite meals ever!

Ingredients:

• PC Frozen Veggie mix
  • 1 T Fonatine Sante Hummus (Best hummus you will ever buy- dead serious!!!)
  • 1/2 T Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
  • 1 heaping T of Mr. Spice Salt-free organic Honey BBQ sauce (best BBQ sauce you will ever buy!!!)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Canned flaked salmon

IMG_9936 IMG_9937

IMG_9938

I have been meaning to review this salt-free BBQ sauce for a while now. Ok, a week. I guess I’m not too behind.

Anyways, this is the BEST BBQ Sauce my taste buds have ever tasted! And it is salt-free and organic! I honestly still can’t believe it. There is only like 15 mg of salt per serving. Unbelievable. You seriously won’t believe me until you try this stuff! I put it on everything now!

This dinner was just spectacular.

IMG_9944

I snacked on this ZEN Glo Bar tonight with chia seeds, poppy seeds, and black sesame seeds:

IMG_9585

My glycogen stores are brimming with healthy fuel. :) I like.

~~~~~

I have been busy all day making Glo Bars! I am quite happy because I am getting lots of repeat customers. Always a good sign!

I had to make new labels to correspond with my new names.

IMG_9977  IMG_9974 IMG_9975 IMG_9973

I can’t wait until I am at the stage to order custom packaging! It takes me so long to package these babies up! The only thing I don’t know about is ordering packages for ALL my flavours…I have like 13 now! I’m not sure how I am going to handle that one. Ideas???

Here is my RACE KIT!!!!

IMG00007-20090717-1629

1119 baby!

I am meeting up with a few blog readers tomorrow- I can’t wait to meet Gillian, Alex, Emily, and Jon! 7:30am sharp!

IMG00008-20090717-1657

Guys, I am so so so excited for tomorrow. I think I have truly found my ‘fitness’ calling in life because I have NEVER been so excited about exercise in my life. Sure, I have done some fun things for fitness in the past (I used to be a competitive fastpitch pitcher for many years), but I have not felt this kind of excitement in a long time.

I love the competitive nature of running in a race…it fires me up and I just want to show off all this hard work and sweat to myself! I was thinking about it, and I have been dong just cardio, plain old boring cardio, for a few years now, and I haven’t done anything to redeem myself for it.

I see these races as a pat on my back. I know it sounds funny to say that since it is obviously hard work, but I really see a race as a way to congratulate myself for being dedicated to my health.

I start to tear up when I think about this, but I honestly never would have been able to do this if this was 5 years ago and I was still starving myself and treating my body poorly. There is no way in hell I could have done this. I was weak, had no energy, and I felt drained all the time.

I will never ever go back to that living hell.

My quality of life is so much greater than I have ever imagined. I have all of YOU to thank for supporting me and encouraging me throughout all of this.

I finally feel like I have learned one of the hardest lessons that I have ever known.

Food is NOT the enemy. Food is beautiful, energizing, wonderful, and fuel for our body, among other things.

Our bodies are not the enemy.

I’m sure my body is saying to me, ‘Angela, I tried to tell you. If only you had treated me properly all those years you would have seen just how much I could do for you.’

So my message tonight for all of you, is to treat your body GOOD. No, not just good, treat your body like the wonderful BEING that it is. Do you ever just stop and think of all the amazing processes our bodies carry out each day? Crazy isn’t it.

Be good to you, and your body will respond a million times over.

Off to pack. :)

Angela_Signature

1 Jordana July 18, 2009

Great post! As far as packaging…you could have a general/generic package with a spot for a sticker with the specific name for the exact product. That way everything could go in the same type of package and you could just sticker away!

2 Jocelyn July 18, 2009

Good luck Angela! I know you will do well!
Love the looks of those bars! When I Finish with the last order..I will definitely put another one in ;)

I too am having a love affair with mr.spice..in my latest post acually! I have been using mr.Spice salt free organic thai peanut sauce for aawhile now and it tastes divine! I also have that hummus in my fridge but yet to try it! I guess I know what I will be hving tomorrow :D:D

again, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 mommyruns July 18, 2009

Good Luck Angela, I know you will do great, but more importantly, you will FEEL awesome!
So, I saw this joke in my daughter’s “Highlights” magazine, and thought of you:
What do you do with a Green Monster?
You wait till it ripens :)
Best wishes!

4 tami July 18, 2009

best of luck. i remember running 3 miles around my neighborhood and thinking WOW-this is so great, well I ran 17 miles today and will be running my first marathon in October! you can do it. just think positive

5 Mandy Unruh July 18, 2009

Awesome post. I, too was in a similar place 5 years ago and am so grateful that I treat my body and my food with love and respect today. Amen!

Good luck on your run. Can’t wait to read all about it.

xoxo

6 andrea. July 18, 2009

Good luck on your run! I found this post very touching … I’m so glad you’re enjoying the running!

Also! I LOVE that hummus! It’s the only kind I buy now. :) I’ll have to keep my eye out for the bbq sauce as well.

7 Alison July 18, 2009

Good luck tomorrow! You are going to kick some serious butt, can’t wait to hear all about it. Thinking of you and sending FAST thoughts your way in the AM!

8 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 18, 2009

Good luck Angela!!! Sounds like a perfect pre-race meal. YUM! :)

xxoo
Heather

9 Maggie July 18, 2009

hon, i hear you. i’ve had a major breakthrough with food in only the last day even. i read natalia rose’s raw detox book and i’m eating things with abandon that i never imagined i would. it does bring tears to my eyes.

good luck. you are going to rock the race.

10 Jess July 18, 2009

Good luck tomorrow, Ange! I can’t wait to hear how your first 10miler goes!

You are an inspiration to me daily and I hope you don’t mind that I actually quoted you in my recent post.

11 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 18, 2009

GOOD LUCK ANGELA!!!

I also came to the same realization that food is beautiful :) Today I went to an amazing dessert shop with two of my friends, and had a BLAST just sitting outside in the breeze, and sharing desserts. Not once did I think about how many calories I was consuming. It made me so happy to be able to finally indulge guilt free and just ENJOY myself rather than hate my body for having a good time. I know that 2 years ago I would have never been able to enjoy myself like I did today, but I used to in high school, and I’m so glad I am able to again! Dessert makes me happy, and it should!

12 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 18, 2009

I’m in the process of learning ‘one of [your] biggest life lessons’ and it is people like you that inspire me to continue on. Seeing what I have to look forward to encourages me to treat my body right! Thank you, Angela! Good luck tomorrow although I’m sure you won’t need it :)

13 Betsy July 18, 2009

A very inspiring post. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow!

14 Caroline July 18, 2009

I’m still learning to run and haven’t gotten much past 2 miles, but I absolutely adore watching the changes in my body as I continue exercising> I love how my thighs are a million times more toned and my waist smaller. Eating healthier has been a huge part of it too. When out driving I’m still surprised at just how far a mile is, and how I can run it all!

15 RunToFinish July 18, 2009

ohh i love running, that’s what has made it so hard for me to be injured lately. i think i’m on my way back though! good luck tomorrow and good call on learning to love our bodies

16 Amie July 18, 2009

Good luck on your run!!!

17 Tay July 18, 2009

GOOD LUCK!!!! You are such a beautiful person inside and out, and treat your body with such amazing respect. It’ll treat you well tomorrow :-)

18 Jessica July 19, 2009

Wow ange I just want to cry reading this post. You have inspired me soooo much and I feel like I’m blooming the same way you did 5 years ago from starving yourself and treating yourself poorly … i want to start racing too. i wish i could find some races around town!
I wish the best of luck to you!!!
-muffy

19 JB July 19, 2009

i love what you said about our bodies. so true. and i’m sure you’ll be fantastic in the race tomorrow! :)

goodnight!

20 Marilyn July 19, 2009

I’m so proud of you :D Good luck tomorrow!

I’m a little competitive too and needed to find something to motivate me.. and a half marathon is a really good goal. I’m training for one in October. I don’t expect to win, but I’m just working on improving my time each race. :) It’s so invigorating! :P

21 Susan July 19, 2009

Agreed, Fontaine hummus IS the best :) Fontaine has all great products, I can’t wait till they built a Costco here so I can buy them!!

GOOD LUCK TODAY!! You’re going to do awesome! That has been one of my biggest life lessons too. I cringe thinking of all the horrible things I used to do to my body. Not just malnutrition, but smoking, binge drinking, etc. Not good. The best part is, once I started treating my body better, I started liking it better, and my sense self-worth has grown by leaps and bounds :D

22 Lauren July 19, 2009

Our bodies ARE so amazing…I think about that all the time! So glad you are so excited to run your race! It’s 8:16 am right now, so I guess that means you’ve already started running! Whooo, go Ange!! :D

23 Joanna July 19, 2009

Enjoy every step of your race today! Your virtual friends are cheering you on!

24 Brandi C July 19, 2009

Good Luck Angie and I Love How Inspirational You are! Tonights Message: “Treat your body good…” Just got added to my list of TOP motivational quotes. I have a file with them on my computer and go there when I need a lift.

25 Kim July 19, 2009

Good luck to you today, Angela! You will do great!! Your pre-race meal looks delicious!! YUM!!

I, too, have been where you have. I used to starve myself as well and I was never happy. I thought the thinner I was, the happier I would be. Boy, was I wrong. I feel so much better now that I feed my body when it asks to be fed, exercise & run. I love to run and also get super excited about it. WTG!!! You are beautiful!

I can’t wait to hear about your race! You ROCK!!

26 April July 19, 2009

Great post Angela! I so wish I would have treated my body better when I was younger!

Good luck today!

27 Cait (Cait's Plate) July 19, 2009

YAY GOOD LUCK!!! The bars look amazing!

28 jessinnyc July 19, 2009

Run strong and have fun today! Our bodies are kind and generous to us despite how we treated them in the past. My body has given me a lesson or two in resiliency.

29 kelly July 19, 2009

Great post, Angela! Unfortunately, I am at the beginning of the journey and am just now learning that food is okay and I don’t have to count every calorie/point. I know I have a long road ahead, but am at least headed in the right direction now! Thanks for your fabulous blog and enjoy your run!

30 leslie July 19, 2009

angela, this post almost made ME cry. i just relate to every single word; i can’t even find a single point to focus on because i understand where you’re coming from 100%. thank you. :)

good luck at your race today. you are so incredible, inspiring, and powerful, and you are going to rock it!

31 Sarah July 19, 2009

Thanks for that post Angela! It really gave me some hope that my body won’t be broken forever. I had back surgery in Oct 2008 so I am limited in what activities I can do right now. In the back of my mind I should have treated my body better in the first place. The only thing I can do is treat my body with respect now.

Good luck on your race today and I’ll be vicariously imagining myself crossing the finish line with you some day. S

32 Jess July 19, 2009

Good Luck Angela!

I feel that I’m so lucky to have found your blog – it’s SO inspirational!

33 Kelly Olexa July 19, 2009

Wow. What a GREAT post and this is exactly the lesson I’ve been learning too. Treat our bodies like a temple. ;-) Keep up the awesome work!

34 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) July 19, 2009

This is such an inspiring post. Sometimes I look back too, and think, wow . . . I’ve come so far. It’s amazing and wonderful. To our health, and to happiness!

35 Michal July 19, 2009

wow. you are such an inspiration. i wish that i could run a marathon like you. your glo bars look delish!

michal :)

36 Courtney July 19, 2009

This is my first time visiting your site and I love it! But I was reading your mile log and I just did my first 5k and around the half way point I did the same thing tearing up and just being so grateful. I thought I was one of a kind when I did that, but I’m so glad to know i’m not the only one!