Forwards & Backwards

Hello!

Look what I got in the mail last week! :D

img 9334 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

My very first Green Monster tee! :) A great workout tee, me thinks…

It also has ‘green monster movement’ on the back in small letters:

img 9693 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

I celebrated by having a green monster and doing a quick core workout. Today I did 3 sets of reverse planks since I have been focusing so much on side planks lately. I thought I would change it up!

img 9728 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

You can make it more challenging by doing this:

reverseplankkick1 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

I also did some forward planks with leg raises (2 sets)

img 9705 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

Eric celebrated by doing……YOGA!?!!?

img 9753 thumb   Forwards & Backwards

Who knew?!

Bonus points if anyone can name this pose!

facts thumb   Forwards & Backwards

It’s time again for another HEALTH NEWS ROUND-UP on OSG!

Here are the top health stories hand-picked for you by me!

1) A high carbohydrate diet is effective for losing weight- even more so than a high protein diet! Beat that Atkins!

2) Want to trim you middle? Don’t use momentum when doing abdominal moves. Slow and controlled wins the race.

3) The 5 top reasons why the French stay so damn skinny!

4) Oh $hit! Swearing reduces pain?! Finally, we have proof!

5) Summertime often brings more alcohol and parties…and unfortunately hangovers! How to beat them here.

6) What matters most for a happy marriage? It ain’t love!

7) 7 fitness tips from Olympian Dara Torres. Guess what? She advocates rest days too!

8) Hell has frozen over. KFC has a vegan sandwich.

9) Celebs who have run marathons and their finishing times.

Today’s question:

What health news story did you find most interesting?

I really loved the high carb story (#1)- finally proof that healthy carbs are not bad! I love how Leslie Beck also talked about the importance of low GI and complex carbs.

angela signature thumb35   Forwards & Backwards

Please note that my emails have changed!

To contact me on Oh She Glows email: angela@ohsheglows.com

To submit a green monster story or ask me a GM question email: angela@greenmonstermovement.com

Thanks!! :)

haya July 16, 2009

is that crow???
holy wow. i don’t think i can do that. go eric!

i made some of your granola bars with dried pineapple, dried mango and dried papaya. super excited for a tropical twist snack later!

Tiffany July 16, 2009

Wow, Eric can do crow?! That’s impressive! I’ve been practicing it and I haven’t gotten it down yet… but soon! LOVE your green monster shirt! :)

brittany meenach July 16, 2009

I can do that, not as perfect but I am working on my yoga skills, is it Pigeon pose. I want a green tea shirt.

elizabeth July 16, 2009

That bum! I can’t do crow for the life of me… I think my body is not proportioned right for my legs to go over my arms.

Are you wearing the Nike Free shoes by any chance? I’m interested in getting some and wondered what you thought. I needs new shooz.

Amanda @ Panda Lunch July 16, 2009

I am so impressed! I’ve been practicing yoga for a while now and still can’t get crow down! I can hold it for about 1/2 a second! LoL. Go Eric!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 16, 2009

Ok, I’m totally impressed by Eric’s CROW!!! He definitely has a future in yoga! :)

What neat articles. I have to say that I agree with you… the high carb diet was great!

xxoo
Heather

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 16, 2009

Love the tee! Also you motivated me to add some planks to my core workout!

Becky July 16, 2009

I love all the plank moves! The side planks have definitely made a difference in my waist. Wow-go Eric!

Christina July 16, 2009

I’m amazed that KFC has a vegan sandwich – That’s crazy!

Erin July 16, 2009

Majorly impressed with Eric!
Crow pose!

Katie July 16, 2009

Its crow!!! I did my first crow for a microsecond the other day, so proud!! On my second attempt I held it a little longer but then tipped over :(

About the celebs and their marathon times….a marathon near me (Grand Rapids, MI) bases their pace groups on the times of celeb marathoners. You can run in the Oprah, George W, P. Diddy, etc pace group. How fun is that?

Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 16, 2009

Cow Pose! Get it Eric!
Love the carb story too! I’m sort of a cereal monster… :-)

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 16, 2009

go ERIC!!! That’s awesome!

LOVE the tee ;) too cute!

April July 16, 2009

I love the stars and their marathon times :) It just goes to show that “looking” like you’re in shape and actually “being” in shape are totally different.

Anna July 16, 2009

bakasana! (crow, or crane). He looks good, but tell him he needs to pull his heart through more ;)

Carrie July 16, 2009

Do you watch True Blood on HBO??? You remind me so much of Sookie Stackhouse!!! (The main character in that show.)

Emily July 16, 2009

What is the difference between white and black chia seeds? is one healthier than the other? I’m thinking about ordering but don’t know which to buy

Jess July 16, 2009

It’s the Crow – I could do that as a kid but not now!

I love doing planks – so hard but so worth the results. I also love the new green monster shirts! :)

OSGMOM July 16, 2009

You go Eric! I was going to call the pose the Leaping Frog but by the comments, I understand it is called the Crow. I dream of having flexibility like that!!

leslie July 16, 2009

eric can do crow!? omg omg. someday i will do it. someday!

thanks for all the links! i like the idea of you doing weekly health roundups. :)

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 16, 2009

Haha! Loving the full crow’s pose Eric!

I told my readers to give you suggestions on growing chia grass in my breakfast post this morning! Hope they pull through :)

Amanda July 16, 2009

Woo Hoo look at Eric in crow!!! The next thing to try is kicking back from crow into plank – I try it all the time and land flat on my face :)

brandi July 16, 2009

man, he does a good crow :)

love the shirt!

Shelly July 16, 2009

Awesome Crow, Eric! I can hold Crow for about 2 seconds before falling on my face. Haha!
As for your articles, #6, the one about marriage statistics, has been floating around for a few days and it really makes me mad. Mad enough to blog about it, actually! (http://thedecayedgentlewoman.blogspot.com/2009/07/just-what-i-needed-to-see.html)
It says that partners on their second or third marriage are 90% more likely to divorce. That is a BIG SCARY STATISTIC and since I’m divorced (long long long horrible horrible horrible story) my initial reaction was to feel like crying. But I’ve also got a good background in science, engineering, and technical writing and I realized that the reports of this study are using that 90% to encompass 5 different possible combinations of married people. (1:2, 1:3, 2:2, 2:3 and 3:3.) I’d like to see if the actual report breaks it down further because it’s pretty irresponsible to just run that one statistic and call it a day. So frustrating though!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 16, 2009

I was just wondering WHY my nails were growing so dang fast…until I read your Green Monster Movement page! It all makes sense now.

Lynn July 16, 2009

Love your blog!
I loved watching Dara Torres at the Olympics, being a swimmer myself, but have you seen her new milk ad? Not what we as women should be aspiring to! The body of a 14 year old boy, IMHO.
In a cover story about her in the New York Times magazine, Dara talked of spending $100,000 a year on trainers, coaches, two stretchers, and nannies in order to meet her goals. She was unable to get pregnant without IVF, and describes herself as driven, and as an Olympic athlete you have to be, of course, but not a role model of balance, as least not for me.

coco July 16, 2009

Wow, I love crow pose!
And while the whole KFC sandwich is…interesting, I am not so sure I would trust anything from a fast food place to be vegan, no matter what they say.
I love your t-shirts…but right now I am working my way out from under a pile of clothing in the bedroom. Maybe if I ever finish cleaning it I’ll get one as a reward!

Brandi C. July 16, 2009

LOL @ OSGMOM’s name for Eric’s Pose :)
HAHA, that just made my day!

Faith July 16, 2009

Love the tee! Nice job on crow Eric! Thanks for the list of articles, they look like some good reads!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 16, 2009

That is impressive he can do crow. I know I can’t yet!!!

Leah July 16, 2009

I like the one about Marriages and Marathoners!

Chloe July 16, 2009

Hey Angela! I wanted to let you know that I’ve just purchased some sample sized mixes from Amazing Grass and used your code to save some money, so THANK YOU! I can’t wait until they arrive so I can hop on the Green Monster train.
Next up – chia seeds!

Jen July 16, 2009

I love these, thanks for all the links!!

Susan July 16, 2009

Thanks for the plank ideas!! I just did my first plank in months today. Umm…yeah…gonna start doing those more often :P

I really liked tip #2 from Dara Torres. Mostly because I JUST got into an argument with my boyfriend about how long I should be warming up on my bike. He says 5 minutes is fine, I feel like I need at least 10. Obviously, I forwarded the article along ;)

Mary July 16, 2009

Go Eric…I’m becoming very good at Side Planks!

Favorite article has to be about the Carbs…I’m a carb lover and have never bought into the whole ‘carbs are bad’ mentality.
Thanks for sharing!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 16, 2009

i really like your shoes – so cute!

catrosinfo July 17, 2009

Yeah, I love the shirt… lol.. the Eric .. that was awesome…I use to do a crow when I was 15… way back 25 years ago…