10-Miler Jitters

Wow how is it Thursday already!?

Eric was so proud when he found out how in awe you all were that he could do the crow pose! lol. I sent him off to work with a big grin on his face. I can do the crow pose- but only for a few seconds. I now have motivation to work on it! :) I don’t know about you, but when I know I ‘can’t’ do something well, it makes me want to do it even more! So I practiced a bit this morning, lol.

Something must have been in the air last night because I got a bunch of orders right before I went to bed! So this morning, it was bake, bake, bake in the kitchen all day and I will be back at it all afternoon. This morning was all about the Glo Bars!

Peanut Butter On The Glo:

img 9754 thumb   10 Miler Jitters img 9764 thumb   10 Miler Jitters

Then I made some Chocolate Chia Crisp Glo Bars:

img 9790 thumb   10 Miler Jitters

Aren’t those little chia seeds so darn cute?

Then another new Glo Bar:

Cranberry Apricot Spelt Glo Bar

img 9812 thumb   10 Miler Jitters

I think these are my new favs! So fruity!

And then another new bar…

Pumpkin Spice Glo Bars:

img 9770 thumb   10 Miler Jitters

I was a busy bee!

img 9802 thumb   10 Miler Jitters

fitness thumb8   10 Miler Jitters

RUNNING:

1) The 1st official Oh She Glows Running Team is forming!!

I have received a lot of emails from you that want to join me at the Toronto Women’s Half + 5k run next May 2010!!! This is so awesome. :) I’m pumped! I saw a couple more emails this morning, but I haven’t gotten to them yet so don’t think I have forgotten about you!

If you would like to join please sign up for the race and then shoot me an email to let me know (angela@ohsheglows.com). Thanks!

2) I can’t believe I am running a 10-miler race in 3 days!!!! I got the final race email this morning and my nerves got to the best of me I will admit! Then I received this super sweet and encouraging email from my friend Alex and it made me feel so much better. A few of us are hoping to meet up before the race on Sunday! I am really afraid about my wake-up call…I am going to have to get up at 4am on Sunday morning. Should be interesting. I haven’t told Eric yet…LOL. The race starts at 8am, so what time do you think I should be there by? 7am? We will probably leave the house by 6:15am on Sunday morning at the very latest. I also might ask my BIL if we can stay at his place in Toronto to save some time because he lives right by the race. We shall see!

Description of the route:

Flat and fast, this course is actually part of the Toronto Waterfront Marathon course, which makes it so fantastic to train on.

coursemap thumb   10 Miler Jitters

I really want to go on a run today to calm these nerves, but I know I probably shouldn’t.

I must say I am glad that this course is FLAT. After the hellish hilly 10-k I ran I am looking forward to seeing how my time is on a flat course. Should be interesting!!! :) I’m so excited and jittery thinking about it.

The weather is calling for nice temps- only 22C/71F for a high. It will likely be a windy course too since we are right on the water.

My bib is : 1119 and I am in the RED Corral.

I made a goal time of finishing in 1 hour and 30 minutes, which is a 9 min/mile pace. I think that is manageable on a flat course, but I guess it depends on how I feel going that long of a distance!

Well, I better get back to it! :) Blueberry Walnut Streusel Mini Loaves need to be made…

Today’s question:

What is the WORST condition you have exercised in outside weather-wise??

For me, I would have to say this run I went on one winter several years back. It was –25C, windy, and snowing! I don’t know what I was thinking!

Ciao!

angela signature thumb36   10 Miler Jitters

britt July 16, 2009

you will do great! the adrenaline the morning of the race will give you the push you need to complete the race. good luck!!

Help Meghan Run July 16, 2009

Easy…heat! I ran 5 miles in ~101-102* last week. :( Lots and lots of water there!

Eve July 16, 2009

You will do great! And the flat course will make it so much easier. I used to run track in high school and we ran outside until it became unbearable at which point we moved to running in the hallways!! Since running through our high school halls was not fun, hard on our knees, and very boring we stayed outside until it was soooo cold.

Btw, the granola bars all look amazing!! Much more appealing than my almonds in my desk drawer ;)

Christina July 16, 2009

Good luck on your race, I’m sure you’ll rock it!

I bike a that park a lot and you’re right, it will be windy, mostly on your way into the park which is on a gentle incline. After the little red line dips,(end of the red line and begining of the purple), you get a bit of tree cover and a break from the wind. Coming back the wind should be behind you and help you out :) Have fun!

Randi July 16, 2009

Worst conditions ever:

When I ran the 2007 Chicago Marathon. It was 90+ degrees. They ran out of water for the runners. Over 200 people in the hospital. Two people died. It was complete chaos. They eventually shut down the race, and those who hadn’t finished yet were bused to the finish line. It was a sad day, but the race officials were very unprepared for something like that. Fortunately all other race directors have learned from that race!

Cinemarie July 16, 2009

Hi Angela! I’m running in the same event on Sunday! I’ll be doing the 5k though :) My # is 3094 and I’m in the green coral :)

You are going to do wonderfully – don’t worry too much!! You are going to have lots of fun I’m sure!!! :)

I would love to go to the TO 5k Women event too!

Yay for running!! hee hee hee :)

Pam July 16, 2009
JB July 16, 2009

the apricot cranberry spelt glo bars, and the pumpkin spice ones sound AMAZING! and i’m sure you’re going to do incredibly well in the race! :)

Lizzie July 16, 2009

You are going to be great!!! Is it just me or are the nerves kind of exciting?

The worst outdoor conditions I have experienced so far, was last year’s Philly 8k (part of marathon w/end). The web-site boasted comfortable temps in the low 50′s. At the start of the race is was 25F!! And didn’t get much warmer after that! You had to be careful running through the water stations as the spillage froze over on the street creating slippery conditions. I had running gloves on, and my hands did warm up after the first 10 minutes, but my middle finger didn’t get feeling in it until about 20 minutes in (and I was really panicking internally at that point – do I finish? or find the nearest EMT’s?). Finished in a decent time, but it was still tough (and that was just the 8k!). I am a 100% warm weather gal and so it was a real test for me!

Have fun with your race – it will be!!

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) July 16, 2009

You’re going to do great! I love reading about runners like you…makes me feel like my first 5k in October will be a stepping stone to greater things.

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 16, 2009

Oh my gosh – I seriously want ALL of those bars!!

Don’t be nervous for your race – just run it to enjoy it, that’s when races are the absolute best :) Just remember – if you did 8, you can do 10!!

Runjen July 16, 2009

A half marathon in pouring snow, sleet, and wind. It was such unexpected weather. Ohio in the spring!

Lori July 16, 2009

You’ll be fine!

My worst race was in December last year. It was 15 degrees F (-9 C),windy, and I was coming down with a cold. It was a 5K that I ran to support my niece with Girls on the Run.
I ended up sick as a dog!

Anna July 16, 2009

a couple weeks ago, I was on a 6-mile run when I got caught in a violent thunderstorm! running through flash-floods and the loudest thunder I’ve ever heard was raaaather scary.

haya July 16, 2009

oh beware! the section on leslie, into tommy thompson park and leslie spit is not so pleasant. they have actually cut that section out of the toronto waterfront marathon for this year because it’s icky and i’m sure people have complained.

during my marathon it was particularly bad because it was a warm day (extra smelly) and i had no idea that it was coming.

i thought about signing up for the TO women’s half, but i hate doing it so far in advance and 60 or 70$ isn’t cheap.

Michelle July 16, 2009

Hi Angela,

First I want to say that I just started reading your blog and you’re quite an inspiration! Second worst running conditions ever: I too ran the 2007 Chicago Marathon and that was horrible also last year I did the Banco Popular Half Marathon also in Chicago and there was a torrential down pour the entire run. But I did it nonetheless. It keeps it interesting. Anyhow best of luck to you for Sunday I’m sure you’ll do great!

MarathonVal July 16, 2009

The worst weather conditions I have ever run in? That’s easy – my FIRST marathon, the Chicago Marathon 2007.

It was SOOOOO hot, that:
* By the begining of the race at 8am, 2 runners had already passed out before they even crossed the start line
* I did not get water or gatorade until mile 6 because the runners up ahead took so many per person – the race director majorly screwed up this one by not having enough, since we KNEW it would be hot that day
* I saw a sign at one point that said 106 degrees!!!!
* sadly, one runner even died that day – hundreds more were hospitalized
* the course was SHUT DOWN for the first time in their hx because of the dangerous conditions

I guess in a way it’s a good story to tell, but honestly, it was miserable and VERY dangerous. Looking back, I shouldnt even have shown up that day – it’s not worth my health being at risk!

I am running Chicago again this fall and I already know that if it is THAT hot than I wont even go to the race…. I would rather stay healthy and run another one later in the season :)

Susan July 16, 2009

I agree with many of the other posters…the 2007 Chicago Marathon was some of the worst weather I’ve ran in! It wouldn’t have been so terrible if it wasn’t a marathon. 90++ degrees is NOT marathon weather! Luckily I had water/gatorade at all aid stations and finished just as they were canceling the marathon, but it was still miserable!

On the other hand, running in Chicago when it’s snowing and windy and below zero isn’t super fun either…love the extremes!

brandi July 16, 2009

the new cranberry bar looks great!

My last 5K was horrible. It was POURING down rain the entire time and the race was in October. Not fun. My contacts were able to fall out of my eyes the entire time, i couldn’t keep my face up because of the hard hitting rain, and I had water sloshing out of my shoes on every step. BUT, I still beat my previous 5K time, so that was good :) It was not fun, though.

Rose July 16, 2009

I’ve been dying to know – how do you cut your bars so perfectly? Can you show us some of your “tools” sometime? :)

M July 16, 2009

Hi Angela,
I discovered your blog a while ago and I have been reading past entries and staying updated on the new ones. I love your blog– it is truly inspiring!
I do hope you will be able to ship to the USA (hopefully before I move to Europe I will be able to order from you!)

Worst conditions- frigid cold, and during a thunderstorm…lightning is not your friend. :)

Stephanie July 16, 2009

For me, I thrive on cold, rainy, snowy weather surprisingly. My best Boston Marathon time was the year of the so called “Nor’Easter’ 2007. For me hot weather is the worst. If its too hot and humid I feel like I have never run a step in my entire life. It sucks all of the energy out of me.

Jess July 16, 2009

Those pumpkin spice bars look AMAZING! Yum!

lisa July 16, 2009

well this is probably not the condition you were talking about but i think it counts :) This morning i went for a run and an ant flew in my eye (yes appparently ants fly) and i had to get it out and it must have bitten me because my eye swelled up and i had to run home and then run to the eye doc. No worries though i’m totally fine now the swelling is almost gone thank goodness! The only bad part is i had to wear glasses and no makeup to wor so I look fab.

Kristen July 16, 2009

Hey Ange-
GOOD LUCK! You will be great. And if your legs are itching to run today, go for it. Doing a really slow 5K or so (or less) isn’t going to hurt you. I find that doing a really slow few miles the day before or two days before a race helps me get my jitters out.

I ran the Toronto Waterfront half last year and the course isn’t bad…a little boring though. Not much to look at- so you’ll probably appreciate your music if you bring it.

As for weather, I’ve stupidly run in a blizzard before. The snow hitting my face was terrible.
~K

Susan July 16, 2009

Oh wow, I didn’t know the race was so soon!! Don’t get too stressed, the course sounds like fun :) And the weather sounds like it’s going to be great, hopefully it’s not too windy!

I don’t “do” winter running. Not unless they invent running shoes with sharp cleats for the ice :P

Fitzalan July 16, 2009

Heat. I have, in my younger, less-wise year gone running in 100 degree weather with about 100% humidity. All in the name of “the run is on my schedule and so I have to get it done.” I would nearly kill my body and I would pay for it. The recovery was horrible.

I love running in the cold! I have run in weather down to about 12 degrees and snowing. Bundle, bundle, bundle. And it makes the time go faster looking at everything turn pretty by the snow. And I love making fresh tracks!

Happiness Awaits

Angi July 16, 2009

You can totally do this! Good luck!

My worst was getting hit by a random ice pellet storm my first time out on snow shoes. It was beautiful, but scary.

Amanda July 16, 2009

You’ll have a blast in your 10 miler! My boyfriend and I did a 10 mile race in May here in Philly (Broad Street Run). It was literally down this street called Broad St. and was a flat, fast course. It was a lot of fun!! Just make sure to hydrate a whole lot and go to the bathroom (I had to stop to use a portapotty .. which had a line … and it added about 4 mins to my time!)

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 16, 2009

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll be great ;)

Can’t wait to hear about it!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 16, 2009

No need to be nervous. You are STRONG and READY and you’ll do GREAT!!!

Beth @ CrossBorderCravings July 16, 2009

When Aaron (co-blogger) and I were in Eurpoe we decided to do a loooong bike ride on a rainy day. Well, rain turned into hail and we were in the middle of nowhere – we ended up SOAKED!! And so cold. I was wearing LuLus and they got so wet and stretched out I couldn’t even ride back – geeeez, so much for that idea.

Kristen July 16, 2009

Worst conditions? Once I went running on a trail and a lightning storm began. A huge branch fell right in front of me and scared the crap out of me! Thankfully, I wasn’t alone!

Barbara July 16, 2009

Hmmmm worst running conditions….

A toss up between 105 temps..which was STUPID and sleet/icy hills…neither was fun nor pretty!

Also had to do a leg of a marathon relay with an upset tum tum…THAT was my worst racing moment ever! UGGGG

B

Marian July 16, 2009

I can’t wait for your race recap! I’m registered for the Toronto Waterfront Half so will be curious to hear what you think of the course! And as usual, I know you’ll do amazing!

Morgan July 16, 2009

Swim practice freshman year of college in Puerto Rico. It was an awful workout of butt kicking IM sets and pouring rain. I spent the whole practice crying! I don’t know if it was the rain that was so bad, or the brutal workout, but I still shudder thinking about it.
Also, I am moving about 4 hours from Toronto, and might want to consider joining in for the half. I just don’t know yet, but I would love it to be an option!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 16, 2009

All those bars looks delicious! You definitely have been busy. :)

Augh, I remember 2 years ago I went for a walk on a cloudy day. Suddenly the sky got dark and it started POURING and STORMING like crazy! Unfortunately I was 2 miles from my house. I was just a LITTLE wet after that one. ;)

xxoo
Heather

Haley July 16, 2009

I trained for a marathon last summer…in Arizona! Our long runs were almost always in the 100s, if not in the 110s. My sister and I used to get up at 4:00 am (the coolest part of any 24 hour period here) and go do our weekday runs in 98 degree heat before work! And wouldn’t you know…

Here I am training for a half-marathon in another Arizona summer. :)

Jessica July 16, 2009

the Cranberry Apricot Spelt Glo Bar look so amazing … i want to have some! dang customs!
I wish i was in canada right now … i want to be on your running team!
good luck for your 10 miler … keep thinking how strong you are and that you can do anything you put your mind too, and look hot while doing so! LOL!
-muffy