SGBC: Topic 5, Week 2: Valerie Waters- Celebrity Trainer!

Quick announcement- My Green Monster Movement website is now updated with your entries!

~~~~~~

Do you ever wonder who the trainer is behind the gorgeous bodies of Jennifer Garner, Jessica Biel, Cindy Crawford, and others?

Today I present to you an exclusive interview with Valerie Waters– personal trainer to the stars in Hollywood! :) She has been featured in hundreds of websites, TV shows, and top health magazines.

I am a huge fan of Valerie! I love her balanced approach to fitness. She teaches her celebrity clients that strong and healthy female bodies are HOT- not malnourished ones! I think she does an awesome job of promoting an overall healthy lifestyle. I also love that she encourages strength training and core work- two of my newest favs (SGBC anyone?!).

She has trained some of my favourite female celebrities: Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, and Cindy Crawford!

cindy_crawford_L_0_0_0x0_432x485 copy

All of these women represent to me a balanced approach to health and fitness. They are toned and don’t buy into the waif look!

Remember a while back, I asked you all to submit your most burning questions for Valerie? Well, here are some of them below! Please note that she didn’t have time to answer all of them, but she says she will do a follow up interview if you still have questions leftover!

Val

Interview Q+A:

Valerie, thank you for doing this interview with us! Below, I have some questions for you that my reader’s have submitted.

How did you get started as a personal trainer and how long was it before you started working with celebrity clients?

I started as a club trainer. The gym I worked at was one of the first to really promote private training. When you bought a membership, you got 3 free workouts. I was one of the trainers that provided those workouts. If you liked it, you could then purchase sessions. Within my first month, I was booked solid, 8 hours a day. I knew I’d found my calling. 4 years later, Cindy Crawford was referred to me. We worked together for 15 years!

What celebrities have you worked with before?

Jennifer Garner, Cindy Crawford, Jessica Biel, Poppy Montgomery, Emebeth Davidtz, Bradley Cooper, Matt Dillon, Rachel Nichols, Elizabeth Berkley

I want to know what your tips are on how to look your very best on a single day. Obviously celebrities need to be in good shape all the time, but what do the trainers suggest for the day of (and the days preceding) a premiere or something? Foods to eat, foods to avoid, etc.

You want to avoid food and drinks that might bloat you. So, no soda, breads, pasta, cookies – but also, no broccoli (which normally, I love) because of its fiber content.

My girls always workout the day of an event. Usually, 45-50 minutes of circuit weight training. We always do legs, but I will also emphasize whichever body part they’ll be trying to show off at their event.

What do you do when clients ’slip-up’ on their diet/fitness regimen? Do any celebs slip-up as much as the average person? You don’t really hear about a celebrity that binged on a new batch of cookies they just made recently, or the celebrity that skipped a workout because they “didn’t feel like it”.

Of course celebrities slip up! They like cookies, just like we do. I teach them that one slip up is not the end of the program. Just focus on the next meal or the next workout. It helps to stay focused on your goal. Put it in writing and post it where you can see it.

What male and female celebrity body do you appreciate the most and why?

I admire all girls are that are lean, strong, and sexy, but not overly buff. I don’t like it when girls get too skinny or too muscular.

If you could pick one celebrity who you think shows the best example of overall health and fitness, who would it be and why?

Jennifer Garner, she is sexy and fit, but has also created balance in her life. She eats good clean food but can still enjoy a cookie or piece of pizza without freaking out.

How much do your celebrity clients workout each week? How many days a week and how long each day? What is a typical training session like?

Most of my clients workout for 45-60 minutes, 4 to 6 times per week – depending on whether they are working or not. We spend most of the time doing circuit style strength training. Lots of Valslide exercises, lots of step ups, and lots of core work.

Have you ever had to tell a client to reduce the amount of exercise they do?

From time to time, I have had to tell someone to reduce the amount of time they are training. Usually because they were programmed to believe that they needed to do more to get results.

What do you tell your clients to eat? How do you know what to tell them in terms of how many calories they should be eating each day, how many meals a day, protein, etc.

I have my clients eat real food (as opposed to processed), as close to the source as possible. They eat 5-6 times per day, focusing on portion control . This is a whole chapter in my book, Red Carpet Ready – so it’s a little hard to answer in 2 to 3 sentence.

If you could pick three favorite cardio exercises what would they be and why?

I think just about any cardio can be great if done with sufficient intensity. Most people simply do not work hard enough. I love spinning, stair workouts, and Valslide cardio workouts.  ·

How do I go about finding a good personal trainer? What should I look for?

The best way to find a good trainer is referral. Obviously, you want experience but you also want to make sure that you like their style of training and that they are willing to listen to your needs and concerns.

I’d be interested to know how important it is to have a pre-workout snack (especially in the morning). And does it depend on what type of workout you’re doing (cardio, weight training, yoga, etc.)?

If you are exercising as soon as you get up , you could probably skip the snack. If you are exercising an hour or two later, it helps to have something that’s easy to digest such as a smoothie or a piece of whole grain toast and natural peanut butter.

What are your favorite health foods?

My favorite health foods are simply those foods that are nutrient dense. I love spinach, broccoli, blueberries, Florida grapefruit, salmon, and omega 3 eggs.

~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Valerie!

Today’s question: Valerie has agreed to do a part 2 to the interview so submit your questions below!!

Angela_Signature

See you tonight for a HEALTHY and UNHEALTHY food product review!! You won’t believe the new food product I am hooked on!

1 brandi July 8, 2009

great interview! that’s so exciting that you got to interview her. i just saw an article from her in one of my magazines.

2 Edan July 8, 2009

I have one!
What would you recommend for a ratio of cardio to weight training per session for best results? Should it be half and half or heavier on one or the other?

3 katecooks July 8, 2009

great interview! this is so random, but my friend court worked with her and is the fitness model in the latest video for workout with valslides. i was just thinking that as i was reading this…she taught me a lot of exercises and they are HARD! no wonder those celebs have rockin bodies!

4 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 8, 2009

OMG, I would LOVE to ask her what her advice would be for me as far as exercising after my surgery…

I have surgery on four bunions (big toes and little toes) on my feet July 16th. I’ll be in small walking casts for 1 month, and have to stay off my feet as much as possible during that time. Since I am a 17 year old who loves to walk, run, bike, do yoga, pilates, etc., I was wondering if Valerie had any ideas for how I can stay fit and active during my recovery period? Thanks so much!

LOVE this interview Angela!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

xxoo
Heather

5 Jess July 8, 2009

Super interview! I love Jennifer Garner and I totally agree to what she said above. Thanks so much to both the trainer and you Angela!
<3 jess
xoxo

6 Jean Mitchell July 8, 2009

This was such an informative interview! I’ve alwasys like Jennifer Garner, now I’m just a bigger fan that she does enjoy a cookie and a little pizza!

I am going to get Valerie’s book this week. It sounds like she had a great philosophy about fitness and well being!

7 Beth July 8, 2009

This is fantastic!!

My question for Valerie: What is the best way to tone calves? Trainer advice tends to focus on toning abs, legs, arms, but there’s rarely anything on toning calves.

8 Ashley July 8, 2009

this was such an awesome interivew ang! you are great. what is her signature go to move/exercise? the one she feels is the best ? THnaks!

9 RunToFinish July 8, 2009

oh good call on the question about how to exercise when you’re injured.. I know I found some things that worked for me, but nothing to really break a sweat.

10 Courtney July 8, 2009

Awesome interview, and some great questions! I think it’s so inpsiring that she just worked hard at a gym, trained regular old clients – and look where her motivation and passion took her! :)

-Courtney

11 VeggieGirl July 8, 2009

Valerie’s great!! I read her articles a lot. Fabulous interview!!

12 Brandi C. July 8, 2009

Thanks SO much for doing this interview Angie! I want to thank Val for answering the questions as well! Yay =]

13 Jamie July 8, 2009

I would love to ask VAl what her typical day looks like (typical day of meals & snacks and what her exercise routine is). I’m always interested in seeing what other people are doing! :) Thanks Angela!

14 Chloe July 8, 2009

I’d like to know how to stay motivated, especially during the Winter months when it’s cold, dark, and dreary outside.

Summer I do a great job of exercising and eating well because I have so many options, but in the Winter I hit a slump. I need to get out of that cycle but am not quite sure how!

15 Pam Striker July 8, 2009

Angie,

I love reading all the post on the green smoothies..what fun!

Just wondered? Did you get my post on the green smoothies?

Thanks,

Pam

16 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 8, 2009

I will have to check her out! Thanks for the great post!

17 Katherine July 8, 2009

Look at you and your awesome celebrity interview! Way to go, Ange!

I love Val’s approach to fitness and I’m definitely going to check out her book at the store this weekend.

18 Andrea@WellnessNotes July 8, 2009

Great interview!

19 MarathonVal July 8, 2009

Great interview!

I would love to ask Valerie what she recommends:
1) for pre-race fuel (for marathon training runs), and
2) during the race itself

I used to survive on Clif Shots and Gatorade, but now I am trying to eat more naturally so I would love to find more natural alternatives – I would love to know what she thinks of using dates or coconut water instead, for example!

20 elliebelle July 8, 2009

I’ve always wondered how Personal Trainers can keep going all day long when they are often doing the exercises with their clients. Then, do they do their own intense workouts when they are not working with clients?

21 Kayzilla July 8, 2009

I would love to know her top 10 exercises for celebs or normal ol’ people with limited time that need to get it done and go ASAP.

Awesome interview so far! :D

22 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 8, 2009

The part of the interview I found most interesting was whether or not you need a snack in the morning before a workout. It’s very good to know!

23 Susan July 8, 2009

Loved this! Jessica Biel and Jennifer Garner are THE two actresses that come to mind whenever I think of famous people with fit, healthy bodies. I didn’t know they shared a trainer! (duh)

I’d like to know ho big of a role strength training plays in her workouts. Especially her thoughts on heavy weights/low reps vs. light weights/high reps.

24 Faith July 8, 2009

What a great interview! I think it’s great that the ladies Valerie trains are into balance and health instead of being just plain skinny!

25 Kim July 8, 2009

Great interview!

My favorite health foods are spinach, almond butter, blueberries, blackberries, quinoa, black beans & garbanzo beans, salmon & tuna.

26 jennifer July 8, 2009

I am trying to stop drinking so many diet cokes. So far I am not doing a good job. Does Valerie have any thoughts on the negatives of diet soda that might encourage me??

Thanks!

27 lacey July 9, 2009

what is the ideal program for someone wanting to tone and not necessarily to lose weight? does she ever suggest yoga instead of weight training or pilates instead of weights? i feel overwhelmed trying to squeeze so many types of exercise in and can’t quite figure out what’s best for my body.

28 Phyllisddy October 28, 2009

I’v got certified the IT certification 250-521
It is very pleasing.
It was a bit of a surprise in my life, to be honest.

29 Beverleem November 10, 2009

The same as most things in routine of each day you will want to First Pass the fundamental principle! You will want to first be aware of fundamental computer and network functionality before you want to undertake more specialised subjects. Even if you do have experience working in an CIW environment LPI is still a good idea to First Pass the entry level Authenticating Examinations as you will get experience with the exam styles and requirements.

In light of the above comment the best way to start your path to LPI Authenticating Examination is with the following Certifications:

Oracle
The CheckPoint will give you a good knowledge of general pc hardware troubleshooting and a background in how computers function. IT is vendor neutral so makes a good starting point for moving into other more vendor specific Certification streams.

Cognos
The network plus is like the A+ exam but aimed at networking subjects, again CompTIA is vendor neutral so does not focus on specific products or technologies. Oracle will however introduce you to TCP/IP and other networking concepts which you will must know about during your career in CheckPoint.

Hyperion Solutions
The Comptia A+ certified desktop support technician exam is specific to support Lotus Windows 7. At the moment this is the almost all common desktop operating system so learning how to support HP properly will set you up for entry level desktop support roles.

These three Examinations will give you a good foundation to build on and are a good starting point before working on to more advanced exams such as the MCSE and CCNA.

Get your free 250-323 demo.