Interval Train With Me!

summerglowbootcampcopy thumb1   Interval Train With Me!Hello Boot campers! :)

This afternoon I decided against my run, since I went on a run yesterday. I keep reminding myself not to push it with running, even when I really want to go for a run. I reasoned with myself today- the weather is supposed to be nice today and tomorrow, so I could just wait for my run tomorrow! :) Mission accomplished. Debate over.

However, I had major Treadmill A.D.D. today!

I decided I would listen to my body and go with the flow. I did intervals!

As you may know, interval training is a great way to make workouts fly by. I love breaking my workouts into mini 5 minute intervals to make the time fly by.

What sounds better:

1) ‘I am going to do 45 minutes of cardio.”

OR

2) ‘I am going to mix it up every 5 minutes and have some FUN!’

Here is what I did:

5 mins.Treadmill: Incline 15%, 4.3 mph

img 8962 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

60 seconds of Pike crunches:

[Don’t mind the electrical tape on my shoes- the velcro doesn’t work anymore! hahaha]

img 8983 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

img 8979 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

I love pikes!

5 mins. treadmill (recovery): incline 15%, speed 4.0 mph

5 mins. treadmill (all out): incline 15%, speed 4.3 mph

Push-ups: 1 set of 20 (5 full and 15 modified) x 2

5 mins. treadmill (recovery): incline 15%, speed 4.0 mph

5 mins. treadmill (all out): incline 15%, speed 4.3 mph

Front arm raises: 1 set of 20 with 5 pound hand weights

img 8997 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

5 mins. treadmill (recovery): incline 15%, speed 4.0 mph

5 mins. treadmill (all out): incline 15%, speed 4.3 mph

Side arm raises: 1 set of 20 reps

img 9001 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

5 mins. treadmill (all out): incline 15%, speed 4.3 mph

10 mins. treadmill (cool-down): incline 5%, speed 3.5-4.0 mph

img 8961 thumb   Interval Train With Me!

My total treadmill time was 50 minutes and my strength moves was about 5-7 minutes. This interval workout was AWESOME!!! A full total body workout. Research shows that we burn more calories when doing intervals because your heart rate stays up for a while even when you are ‘recovering’ and so you burn more calories than if you stayed at the same intensity the whole time. By doing intervals, you are also able to go ‘all out’ for short bursts, much more than if you had to maintain the same level for the entire workout. It helps me get through those 5 minutes because I know that I will have a break after each all out interval!

Need less to say this workout really pumped me up and gave me tons of energy!

logo thumb   Interval Train With Me!

As you may have seen the amazing Zesty is a partner with me in the Summer Glow Boot Camp!

For his first of four amazing healthy recipes, he cooked up for us a delicious Balsamic Salmon!

Take it away Zesty!

Salmon also offers a great source of protein as well as "good" fats.  I have to be careful when I get all nutritional as I am by no means an expert in that category.  However, I do know a bit as I usually try to eat healthy and stay fit.

Back to the salmon.  For this dish, I like to pair it with basmati rice and a simple green vegetable such as spinach or kale.

Zesty Balsamic Salmon:

balsamic salmon close up thumb   Interval Train With Me!

Ingredients

* 2 Salmon fillets
    * 1 Tsp. olive oil
    * 1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
    * 1 Tbsp. fresh dill
    * Cracked black pepper

Method

1. Preheat sauté pan to medium high heat.

2. Pat salmon dry with paper towel.
   3. Season with cracked black pepper.
   4. Sear salmon on both sides (3 minutes per side).

balsamic salmon starting thumb   Interval Train With Me!
   5. Add balsamic vinegar and dill, continue cooking until translucent (should flake with a fork).
   6. Drizzle sauce over salmon.

balsamic salmon pan thumb   Interval Train With Me!
   7. ENJOY!

Zesty Tip: Using just a bit of olive oil and making sure to preheat the pan are the two tips for a perfectly sautéed piece of fish.  Also remember to let the fish cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness) to develop a nice crust. Be sure not to crowd the fish; cook it in batches rather than overcrowd the pan.

~~~~~

Ok, are you drooling yet!? WOW- thanks Zesty!! :) That looks just fabulous.

freeforall thumb3   Interval Train With Me!

1. Check out Eric’s most recent blog post where he tells us whether Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs are worth the cost!

2. I added some new Green Monster Movement designs to my shop! Check them out here. My favourite is the white v-neck ‘I like it Green’ tee. I ordered it and can’t wait to get it!

~~~~~

Tonight’s Question:

Do you do interval training? If so, what do you do?

angela signature thumb10   Interval Train With Me!

Valerie July 4, 2009

I usually do intervals on the treadmill, alternating between walking and jogging. It’s great for days when I really don’t feel like jogging, since I just say to myself “I’ll jog for 5 minutes, walk for 5″ rather than thinking “I’ve got a 30 minute jog ahead of me” or just not working out at all. Sometimes I find that doing a couple intervals actually get me into the running frame of mind and then I finish out the workout with a longer jog than I would have had I started out thinking “I have to run for 30 minutes”.

That salmon looks amazing! I’ve never cooked salmon before but that recipe sounds great so I might have to give it a try.

Lori July 4, 2009

I do intervals, but all within the same type of exercise. I do a max of 30 minutes for HIIT. It’s usually with jogging or biking. Do a couple minutes at a steady pace, then push it for one minute, 2 minutes back at steady pace and repeat. I make the high intensity parts harder eat time until I peak in the middle, then gradually decrease each interval’s intensity. It really does make the workout go much faster.

Melanie Z July 4, 2009

Love the new GloBakery website!

Intervals are the way to go – no way of getting bored!

Jess July 4, 2009

I do intervals on the treadmill. I’m following the C25K training and I love that it’s short bursts of running mixed with walking. Some days I do Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred video too – which I guess could be considered intervals. I love it. In fact, I think I need to do it tomorrow! :)

brittany meenach July 4, 2009

I do a hard 20 min, on bike and then a super hardcore bike session, followed by a 10 or 20 min easy peasy with a few sprints ride. I love the new glow bakery site, it’s adorable and has a warm essence to it. Awesome Job, you glow girl.

Kathy July 4, 2009

I love your idea with the intervals! It def. keeps the workout much more interesting :)

Also, thanks so much for reading my story!! I can also relate to many of the posts you’ve written about your road to health, and it is just great to know that I was not alone in some of the feelings I went through.

Allie July 4, 2009

I usually do intervals on the 90 Second Sprint 90 Second Speed Walk 3 minute jog 3 minute walk and repeat.

I like the idea of combining strength with cardio in the form of intervals. I’m going to try it tomorrow.

Faith July 4, 2009

You are so adorable, you look so happy when you workout! I like intervals for the thrill of the intensity burst.

That salmon looks so good!

Sam July 5, 2009

so, I have gotten completely hooked on Wiggs abs moves! I started to integrate them into my everyday routine, doing between 12 and 20 moves a day. today I was scheduled to do moves 1-13, but after attempting 1 and 2, I just couldn’t do it, I was too sore from yesterday! I decided to LISTEN TO MY BODY and instead did a killer leg workout! Thanks for helping me see that listening to your body and going with the flow can sometimes beat out “accomplishing” what you set out to do. :)

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? July 5, 2009

I totally agree that intervals make the workout fly by! Love em :)

Barbara July 5, 2009

Intervals are AWESOME for fat burning. I do HIIT intervals 2-3 times a week…built up to running at 10.0 for 102 min. It’s tough but you feel amazing when its complete!

Do you ever do Plyometrics? Those are also great for stability and fat burning.

It’s great to break up your workout and make it fun on days when you aren’t feeling it!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous July 5, 2009

I absolutely love intervals. They make me work up such a good sweat!

Shelby July 5, 2009

Great workout, I used to do intervals all the time when I did hard cardio. It really works.

Meghan@traveleatlove July 5, 2009

I like doing track intervals. Brings me back to high school :)Depending on what I am training for, I do anything from 100 meter to 800 meter sprints/tempo running. Today I plan on doing intervals inside on my stationary bike. I foolishly overdid it with the sun yesterday!

Whitney July 5, 2009

That’s interesting.

Most people would think of interval training as doing speed work (i.e., running at maximum exertion for x amount of time with x amount of recovery), generally used for training in running, cycling, swimming (and football!), too to increase speed. So, you technically aren’t really getting “better” by getting off the treadmill, you are just breaking it up for yourself, mentally.

But whatever works, right?

Danielle July 5, 2009

Hm, I like mixing things up as well, it keeps me focused and motivated. Thanks for the routine :)

Organic Girl aka AshleyH July 5, 2009

Hey Angela and blog readers!

I just started a blog about natural cooking and my struggles with IBS. I would love for you all to go check it out:
imanorganicgirl.wordpress.com

Thanks!

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 5, 2009

Angela can I just say? YOU ARE SO ADORABLE! I love the boot camp and will definitely try some of the moves out! Keep up the awesome work!!

Susan July 5, 2009

I love interval training!!! I don’t do a lot of jumping on and off the treadmill, because it will get stolen from me at the gym :P But whenever I do any type of cardio machine, I do some sort of intervals. Either high or moderate intensity – keeps me interested! :)

Natalie M. July 5, 2009

I went to the gym this morning and boy was I a sweaty hot mess after my cardio session LOL! Thanks so much for posting the twisting planks. I’ve never tried them before and they are killer. I’m absolutely loving incorporating your moves and the moves from Caitlin and Kath’s summer boot camp in addition to Bobbi’s sit up and push up challenge. You gals are gonna make me look like a svelte beast muahahaha. You truly motivated me this morning Angela… I even showed a friend the twisting planks.. her response? “holy *bleep* these are hard” LOL

Marcia July 5, 2009

Love the workout. I spend a lot of time at the gym at 5:30 am. And I just get bored with the treadmill.

So I like to mix it up too. Today with walking on an incline, then running on an incline, then walking again, then running flat at 6 to 7 mph, then walking at an even steeper incline, then running flat 6.5 to 7 mph…all in 5 min chunks.

I might have to try adding the strength moves too. My 18 year old trainer suggested that at one point…there are machines and weights about 20 ft from the treadmills.

Fitzalan July 6, 2009

I do intervals both on the treadmill or the elliptical. On the treadmill I typically do 5 minutes walking with an incline and then I do 5 minutes with only 1% or 0% and running. Repeat. It makes the time go so quickly! With the elliptical I typically do 2 minutes all out, 2 minutes easy, etc.

Happiness Awaits

Sally July 6, 2009

I like to do intervals on the elliptical and bike instead of steady-state cardio.

On the elliptical, I do 8 sets of 20 seconds of sprinting with a higher resistance, followed by 40 seconds of recovery at a lower interval. I also like to do squat intervals afterwards – I pedal backwards and squat down for 20 seconds and then stand up for 40 seconds. It really works your quads!

On the bike I do shorter/more intense intervals. I sprint for 8 seconds and then recover for 12 seconds and keep that cycle going for 15 minutes.

I love intervals because it means I can spend less time doing cardio!