Classic, Timeless Wardrobe Pieces: Revealed!

FAQs

256. Amy asks, “I LOVE reading your blog, and it has been inspiring me to try new things in the kitchen, as well as finding creative ways of getting the hubby to eat healthier dishes. I always notice in your pictures that you look very polished and put together, even in sweaty workout clothes.

I’ve been in the process today of cleaning out my closets–and trying to streamline what clothes I do have into a wardrobe that is both classic, and functional… I think it would be awesome to come up with a list (with help from you readers!) of the 25 (or even 50) classic, timeless, user friendly and versatile pieces that all of us fabulous women love to wear.

I’ll start by saying that my favorite staple is black stretchy (yoga type) pants, I have pairs by patagonia, prana, and ibex which makes great thick wool ones I wear almost all winter! I’ll wear these with nice blouses and sandals, camping, and out running or in the field. And I am obsessed with scarves!”

Oh, Amy, I almost squealed with excitement when I read your question! What a fabulous idea! :)

I used to be all about buying whatever clothes were cheapest, but now I tend to buy quality investment pieces for the ‘classic’ wardrobe staples (like work blazers) while other items like tees, tanks, etc I buy low-end.

For example, I spent about $80 on my favourite RW & Co. work blazers, but will often wear $10 tees/tanks underneath. I love mixing quality items with cheapies! :)

Here are my favourite classic pieces in my wardrobe:

1) The Little Black Dress (Semi-dressy)

What: RW & Co Black Dress

IMG_0610

This is my go-to black dress for all occasions. I wore this to my Master’s convocation ceremony last October and I wore it in my previous workplace many times.

2) The Little Black Dress (formal, Special occasion):

What: BCBG Open Back Black Dress

IMG_8924

I call this my fancy pants LBD because it is for very special occasions! Leah actually convinced me to buy this at an outlet BCBG discount store last summer. I bought it for my honeymoon and I wore it LOTS on the cruise ship.

3) Little Black Dress (Casual)

What: Wet Seal black sweater dress

I love this casual black dress because I can dress it down…

IMG_3773

or up with a pair of heels…

IMG_3611

4) Summery Dress (light-weight and colourful)

What: Miss Sixty floral dress

IMG_8496

This is my go-to summer dress for BBQ’s, picnics, birthdays, or just shopping! I can dress it up with heels or wear it with flip flops from Old Navy. I wore it lots on my Honeymoon. I got it at a Miss Sixty outlet store for $40 bucks!

5) A well-fitted Blazer.

What: RW & Co

IMG_2720 IMG_3803

Love, love, love RW & Co Blazers! I have one in brown, black, and this tweed one. It was basically all I wore to work and I often wore them for presentations in grad school. They instantly dress you up- even with jeans on!

6) Shorts

What: Old Navy walking shorts

IMG_8768

I don’t know about you but it takes me forever to find a good pair of shorts that fit me right! I always have to try on about 15 pairs before finding ones that don’t ride up! These are my go-to summer shorts for any occasion. I can dress them up with stilettos and a fancy top for a night on the town!

7) Detail pieces to highlight body parts you love

What: Tank from Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul16

I love showing off my back! It is one body part I have always loved no matter what my weight. ;)

I am known for always having tops with interesting back detailing on them, whether it is my workout tanks or summer tops. When I see a top with a funky detailed back that looks good on me, I often end up taking it home! They are my signature piece.

I think everyone has at least one body part that they love to show off, so I think it is fun to ‘play up’ these features with fashion! Think about what you like to show off the most and try to mix and match your pieces around that framework. Find clothes that highlight what you LOVE about yourself!!

8) A great fitting swimsuit

What: Bikini by Roxy

angebikini3

It took me forever to find a bikini, so when I found this Roxy one I got it in both black and white!

9) Scarves/pashminas

I have 3 pashminas that I have been given as gifts. They are so versatile and I love them in the winter and summer. In the winter I use them as a scarf. In the summer I use them as a wrap for chilly nights or cold shopping malls/office buildings.

WINTER:

More pics, my camera 055

SUMMER:

IMG_8467

10) Casual Clothes

Casual clothes will never go out of style! I choose well-fitted and body hugging casual clothes. Of course, I have an obsession with Lululemon. They are investment pieces and I find they look very put together even when just going grocery shopping!

IMG_1073

They are my go-to travel clothes!

IMG_1110

Well, those are 10 to start off with! I could go on, and on…but wow this post took me a long time! lol.

Tonight’s Question:

What are your top 10 wardrobe staples or ‘must haves’? What pieces do you think will never go out of style- or- are there any??

Angela_Signature

1 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 25, 2009

You’re gorgeous!
in other news, Michael Jackson just died:(

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2009

OMG I just heard this!!!! What happened???

3 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 25, 2009

Apparently cardiac arrest…

4 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 25, 2009

I was wondering–do you find lulumon to fit a certain way? For instance, buy a size smaller or larger than usual or are they pretty dead-on? I’d like to make some purchases, but it would have to be online since there aren’t any by me…

5 Eat, Live, Love, Dream June 25, 2009

Your so beautiful! inside and out:)

6 Shelby June 25, 2009

GREAT post! I love your fashion sense!

7 Still Life in South America June 25, 2009

I love, love, love this post. I am a serious believer in owning a few go-to dresses and clothes. It’s more economical to mix and match.

Black is my favorite color–so slimming. I really like your strappy cruise dress and sweater dress. Very chic.

Strange about Michael Jackson, eh? It just won’t sink in.

8 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 25, 2009

Love the wardrobe!

9 Katie June 25, 2009

1) A good pair of jeans
2) A white tshirt
3) A good belt
4) Great running clothes
5) A GRREAT pair of shorts
6) comfy shoes
7) A dress
8) black slacks
9) A cute go to t-shirt
10) A cute winter coat

The best classic look that is as cute as the shoes you wear it with is a great pair of jeans, a white t shirt (V Neck a plus) with some turquoise or just basic jewelry. It’s my go to outfit when going out.

10 amy (veganissexy) June 25, 2009

How fun. There must be a fashion wave going over the blog world…I’m just staring a “what I wore today” poriton of my blog too! My MUST HAVE classics: a printed wrap dress (think Diane Von Furtenberg) a classic high wasted black pencil skirt (what I wore today!) well fitting black “interview suit,” classic pair of pointy black pumps, one pair of high quality silver or gold hoop earrings, a classic pair of high quality denim jeans that are “work” appropriate. Oh Angela…I could go on and on….I’m all about the classics!!!

11 Annie D. June 25, 2009

I LOVE YOUR OUTFITS! I’m trying to revamp my wardrobe… too high school/collegish right now!!!

12 Valerie June 25, 2009

I tend to buy a lot of the basics – tees, tanks, shorts and jeans since I find they’re pretty versatile. I can dress up a tee and jeans by adding heels and a necklace or two if I’m going somewhere nicer. I do also enjoy buying more trendy pieces occasionally just to have something a little more special. Sadly I don’t usually have a little black dress on hand – I almost only ever wear dresses to really formal events (I’m not big on wearing them out to dinner, etc) and often buy a dress specific to things (such as high school formal, and a couple formals in uni). I really should get out of that habit since it’s expensive but I love dress shopping :)

13 Ashley June 25, 2009

I love your pieces!! You have great style.

I’m also a big fan of Lululemon (although I haven’t been super impressed with their full length pants as of late)

10 pieces I can’t live without…

1) Great jeans – I recently got a pair of Sevens that I love and yesterday I got an amazing pair of Gap Long and Leans for $29.99
2) Well fitted dress – I like dresses (for me) that are fitted at the top and waist and poof out a bit on the bottom. So girly and fun!
3) Ballerina flats – I’m so not a heel kinda gal. I love them with jeans, dresses or skirt
4) A cardigan in a neutral colour – I love throwing cardigans over dresses, tanks for extra coverage
5) Tank tops – My favs are the $8 ones at Dynamite! They fit really well, come in a variety of colours and don’t bag out
6) A comfy hoodie in a fun print – I have far too many hoodies from Lululemon, but I wear them all the time
7) Great earrings – I love funky earrings. I think they can really make an outfit
8 ) Fun hairband – I love fascinators. I have a couple in my collection and get compliments on how unique they are every time I wear them! They are very retro and classic and can make a really basic outfit something extra special
9) A line or pencil skirt – I have way too many skirts, but I seriously can’t get enough! There is nothing more comfortable, especially in the summer
10) A good bra – Everything looks better when “the girls” are up! My latest favourites are from Victoria’s Secret – just amazing!!

14 Veronica June 25, 2009

I’ve been reading your blog for a while but have never posted. Just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog, this fashion post was fun, a nice break in my hectic day! Thanks

15 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 25, 2009

jeans
white t shirt
white tank top
navy blue hoodie
chuck all stars
little black dress
long-sleeved, ultra long cashmere cardigan
black blazer
black trench coat
black flowey yoga pants

16 N.D. June 25, 2009

I love the back of #2!!

17 Jenn June 25, 2009

You are cute as a button!

Must haves in my closet:

black stretch turtleneck
white cotton stretch tee
wide leg trouser jeans
cute ballerina flats in a crazy print or colour
pencil skirt
fitted cotton button down blouse
3/4 length belted winter wool coat
fitted blazer (I love RW & Co too!)
Pumas for kickin’ around
hot stillettos
little black dress

OK, so I added a few extra….

18 Fitzalan June 25, 2009

That list just made me want to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP.

I don’t really have too many go-to’s, which is my problem. I have gained some weight in the past 2-4 years…but in a good way. I’m more normal and healthy. But that means I don’t have many pieces of clothes and up until recently I wouldn’t let myself buy anything because I was still aiming to get back to that unhealthy weight.

I need to shop!
(Oh and Roxy bathing suits are my downright favorites!)

Happiness Awaits

19 RunToFinish June 25, 2009

since you are the queen of the Green Monster have you used this Amazing Grass? http://runtothefinish.blogspot.com/2009/06/greener-monsters-amazing-grass-giveaway.html

I’m interested to know what you think about it…should veggies alone be enough?

20 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 25, 2009

I LOVED reading this post Angela!!! You are so beautiful and those outfits are definitely classics.

I’d say that denim jeans are something that will never go out of style, and once you find a pair that fits, it’s like heaven! I have such a hard time buying jeans, but I found a brand from Buckle that fits like a glove! They are a little pricey, but totally worth it when you think of how versatile a pair of jeans is.

xxoo
Heather

21 Lex June 25, 2009

Ok wow, you’re rockin it in all of those pics!! Beautiful!!

Love all of the clothes, I want to raid your closet haha!!

22 Katherine June 25, 2009

I’ve got 3 new wardrobe staples: OSG black yoga pants, black cowlneck sweater and a wide leather-like belt…wonder where I got those! ;-)

THANKS ANGELA!!

23 Recipes for Creativity June 25, 2009

I don’t have a list of top ten favorite pieces, but I LOVE those shorts so much!!

24 Krista June 25, 2009

I love RW & Co clothes! Bottoms of any kind are hard for me because my waist to hip ratio is SO different. If I can get it over my hips, there’s a huge gap at the waist. If I go by my waist size, the bottoms stop dead in their tracks at my hips. :( I’ve yet to find a solution to this so I dread bottom shopping. I love form fitting blouses and tee’s, though. I’ve always been fond of my bust and upper ribcage area….

25 Andrea June 25, 2009

love this segment…. you should definately do more!!!!

26 april June 25, 2009

I love your outfits! My clothes are so darn boring.. maybe you should do a clothing swap on ohsheglows ;) lol

27 Beth June 25, 2009

1. A good pair of jeans
2. Pearl necklace and earrings
3. Sassy pair of black heels
4. A nice watch
5. Fitted black tee
6. Pashminas in MANY colors!
7. Fitted blazers (like yours!)

I’m an accessory girl, what can I say? :)

28 Katie H June 25, 2009

1) The perfect pair of jeans – I used to cringe at the thought of spending over $100 for jeans, but now I know that it is well worth it if you find the perfect pair. And if your perfect pair is $50, even better!
2) Well-tailored jackets
3) Wrap dresses – they always create an hourglass figure
4) Rainbow brand flip-flops – I’ve had mine for over 5 years and they’re still in great shape and the most comfortable pair of shoes I own
5) A cashmere sweater
6) Nude seamless bra and panties
7) A crisp white blouse, but with an interesting detail, like unique buttons
8) Black stilletto heels
9) Cheap, fun printed tees that have meaning to me, like my favorite band shirts or shirts from special places I’ve visited
10)Anything charcoal grey – my favorite classic color!

29 elliebelle June 25, 2009

I LOVE this post!!! Yay for fashion! :)
My top 10
1. black cardigan
2. boot cut jeans
3. white pants
4. SCARVES!!!
5. white t-shirts
6. camis
7. a bright colored cardigan
8. perfect black pants
9. at least one funky “going out” top
10. knee high leather boots with a sturdy heel

Love this! :)

30 Elle June 26, 2009

Just want to say I loved most of your pics… but the first one of the RW black dress… would be so much nicer with bare legs… those black stockings… not so much.

My list….

little black classic sleeveless dress
blazer
black pencil skirt
tees in several jewel tones
great shoes
great bags/totes
walking shorts
capris
fleece pullovers
golf skirts

Great topic!

I agree that bare legs would have looked better…but there was no way I was wearing bare legs on a cold 5C day in the fall! :)

31 Tay June 26, 2009

You are so cute and put together in any picture! And I’m jealous of your abs!! I don’t have many great accessories, but I’m working on it! I pretty much live in jeans/short & tees. I do love cute summer tanks though!

32 Jessica June 26, 2009

i’m so in love with your turkey tanks. victoria’s secret has a few tanks like that and i bought a lacy racerback white one. i just need more confidence to wear it alone! i feel like i’m at the point you were before your revelation and weight loss. how many pounds did you end up losing again? you are just so inspirational.
-muffy

33 Katharina June 26, 2009

You’re so beautiful (in and out) and stylish! I think if I saw you in person I’d be like “Who is this woman?!” In a good way though! Man, you can exude ultra-cool in pictures!

34 Nabeela June 26, 2009

I loved your top 10 fav dresses. You look beautiful in all of them!

35 Erin Stratton June 26, 2009

Wow this is a hard one and it is early in the morning but I will give it a shot!!!
1. Black wrap dress – I have a multitude of dresses, they always make me feel awesome and I do go for alot of crazy patterns but this black dress is “the one”
2. Pencil skirts (in different colors) – I LOVE THEM and they actually hide many flaws
3. 3 quarter sleeve dress shirts (different colors again) winter here really isn’t winter so I can’t do the whole blazer thing much – I am from West Texas lol!
4. A good pair of jeans in a dark and light denim – can dress them up or down but you have to feel awesome in them
5. I am a big believer of the cheapy vneck classic t-shirt or tank in lots of colors from either Target or Old Navy
6. Shoes – don’t even get me started on color type or whatever I could have my own top 50 list for why…and they all must be 3 inch heels or more
7. Pea coat for winter – they look great open or buttoned
8. Jewelry – Pearls and I wear silver jewelry
9. Sunglasses – ok I don’t spend alot of money for my sunnies (like 2 for $10 at Claires Boutique) but let me tell you sunglasses are essential
10. Workout clothes that make you feel comfortable, cute, a little sexy, and alot athletic!!!

36 Judy June 26, 2009

Angela:
More blogs like this please! :) I really enjoy your Blog and you may surprised to learn I am probably your oldest reader, I am (AHEM) 55. However, I have taken good care of myself, I look young (still get carded occasionally) and have maintained a slim fit body. (I started doing exercise videos when I was 30) That said, I refuse to dress like an old lady in polyester, so I am always look to ageless fashion and don’t mind throwing on something from time to time that I see the teenagers wear! I still wear a bikini, too.
My question is about that yellow purse! LOVE!! What brand is it?
And I also enjoy seeing Sketchie, what a sweetheart! :)
Keep up the great work.

Hi Judy! Thanks for your comment…I am aware of at least a dozen readers that I have over the age of 50…I’m sure there is more. :) I think it goes to show that the desire to lead a healthy and active lifestyle never ‘goes out of style’. The purse is from Aldo- I buy many of my purses there because they have so many selections and are quite cheap! ~A

37 EL June 26, 2009

Great post! I am in a transition with my wardrobe. I just turned 33( but I still look like I am in my mid-twenties) and I am trying to dress more age appropriate. That being said, where did you get those white, thong wedges? I am in love with them!

38 Anou June 26, 2009

I loved this post since I am obsessed with clothes. And you look gorgeous as always. I wanted to ask you, where did you get those heels you are wearing with the black wetseal dress as well as with the jeans and the blazer. I love them ! And nude heels elongate the legs and go with everything. I am looking for a good pair. Thanks

39 Menden (SkinnyMenny) June 26, 2009

Great post!
Here are my top 10 fashion items that never go out of style:

1. A great pair of jeans that make your booty look awesome
2. A fitted jacket in black or khaki that can go on top of just about any outfit
3. A black pencil skirt – sexxaaaay!
4. A great pair of heels in an unexpected color
5. A little black dress that you feel great in
6. A gorgeous scarf
7. A large handbag that will hold just about anything
8. A smaller clutch in gold or silver
9. Cute sandal flats that can be paired with denim, shorts, or a sundress
10. Your smile!!! :)

40 Shelly June 26, 2009

1) Jeans- It took me forever to find a brand of jeans that works well with my body (and I think it’s different for everyone) but I have come to love Silver Jeans. They’re also not *too* pricey. Around $70, which works out to be quite a bargain considering how often I wear them.
2) Charcoal dress pants- I live in these at work. They are great b/c they go with everything that black goes with, but you can also wear black tops with them.
3) Ballet flats- perfect for work, travel, and everything else.
4) Fashionable sneakers (in a dark color)- They look way more dressy with jeans than athletic type sneakers.
5) Knit tops- I like to get dressy ones to wear to work b/c being a bit chesty, button down shirts tend to gap when I wear them, which is definitely not okay for work. :)
6) Fitted Tees- I basically live in fitted tees. I love the Jcrew ones (when I can get them on sale) b/c they hold up well and come in great colors.
7) Khaki shorts- what I wear all summer. I also like the shorts from Jcrew.
8) Little black dresses- of course!
9) Cute sleeveless or strappy knit dresses- I wear these casually with a sweater in the spring and fall, and on their own all summer. It’s a great way to be comfortable and look dressy at the same time!
10) And for the winter, I think everyone should invest in a beautiful coat. My current favorite is a long light grey wool coat. It is incredibly warm and instantly dresses up whatever I am wearing underneath.

Angela, I LOVE your blazer! I have some blazer cut jackets and I find that they look a little stuffy, but the belt on yours makes it so chic! I need one! :)

41 AGS June 26, 2009

Couldn’t come up with 10. . .

6. Silk sweater set in 3/4 length (I have a great one with bone bottons. My office is extremely conservative/high-end. . . but this takes me through Friday. . . and out to friday night — when I can take the outside layer off)
5. My long wide-leg white pants
4. Peep-toe navy pumps
3. Perfect black suit (jacket, pants, skirt, dress)
2. Crisp, classic, well-fitted white blouse

1. A perfectly-fitted bra. I swear that a well-fitted bra is *the* most important wardrobe piece for women.

42 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 26, 2009

I’m loving dresses right now. They really are versatile and to me they’re comfy!

43 Deb July 11, 2009

What brand jeans are you wearing with the Blazer? Do you have a go to brand of jeans? One of my biggest obstacles is the jeans, lol.

44 ruby March 2, 2010

hi :-) i am 29 years old mom of 2 boys eldest is 8yo and my youngest is 1y8mo old…
i love all your pics and your fashion sense / style.
id like to ask for your suggestion ahmmm tsk ;-) i will attend to my eldest son’s field trip and i want to know what to wear. can you help me? im looking forward to ur great ideas.

thaks in advance :-)

god bless u.

45 kstegxmcjfn April 22, 2010

I love this site because …
ZOO SEX , http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1542762 – ZOO SEX ,
ANIMAL SEX VIDEO , [url=http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1542790]ANIMAL SEX VIDEO[/url] , http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1542790 – ANIMAL SEX VIDEO ,