Use Your Good Towels!!!

Happy Monday! :)

So…first things first!

Copy of Untitled-51 What is going to happen with the BBBC?

All week I am going to be revealing CLUES and TEASERS for you to try and piece together!

Today’s Clues:

Clue #1) Yes, another challenge is on the way!!! :D

Clue #2) The new challenge is going to be called S.G.B.C. for short– Any guesses what these initials stand for???

Stay tuned all week for more clues about the who, what, when, where, and why of the SGBC!

++++++++++

Where did I wear these beauties this weekend???

img00075

Eric and I went to see the movie UP on Saturday night!!

We didn’t even know that it was a 3D movie until we got there and were handed the 3Dglasses! We were a bit skeptical because neither of us has seen a 3D movie for over 10 years!!!

We sat down, put on the glasses, and watched some previews and we were AMAZED at how amazing everything looked in 3D! We were sold!

UP was nothing short of spectacular!!! We LOVED this movie. We check out all of the movies on IMDB before deciding which one to see, and I must agree with this movie’s high rating of 8.5/10! It was just fabulous.

It had a great message too- well, several actually, that Eric and I discussed on the way home. The movie is all about embracing TODAY and not putting off things that you WANT to do in life for some day in the future that may never come!! We left the movie feeling uplifted. :)

Seize the day!

Don’t wait until next month, next year, or when you are 40 to do something you WANT to do. Do it now. Find a way. Life is too short!

You want to know something silly that I did for months?
I wouldn’t let myself use the beautiful, luxurious bath towels that we got for a wedding gift. They are just the nicest and softest towels I have ever laid eyes on.

So they sat in our linen closet for ‘a rainy day’ and they sat there unused. We brought them out for our guests a couple times, but each time we washed them, we never used them ourselves.

They were ‘too good to ruin’.

Well, a couple weeks ago Eric and I were both discussing how we have both never used our gorgeous towels yet! It had been 9-10 months since the wedding and still no use from us.

We decided that this was CRAZY! Covering the sofas with plastic, crazy! [We’ve all seen those couches haven’t we??].

We asked ourselves, ‘Why don’t we get to use and appreciate our beautiful towels??’

So right then and there we took out our towels and hung them up on our bathroom door for use. I had been using these ratty old towels from university for about 5 years if you can believe it!!!

And you know what?

These wedding towels make me SO HAPPY. Every day when I use them and drape the fabulous material over my skin, I feel so luxurious and content. I love those towels and I feel like a fool for not letting myself use them until now!

Just look at these babies! :) They are HUGE!!!!!!!

IMG_3857

The truth is- LIFE IS SHORT, it really is. If I knew that my days were numbered, you can be damn sure that I would be using those towels every morning. But that is the thing, we don’t know how much longer we have on this earth.

Take home message:

USE your good towels.

Eat on your best dishware.

Use a wine glass for plain old water.

Use your special napkins, or your ‘special occasion jewelry’ every day!!!

You deserve to feel fabulous each and every day!

I used to reserve my nice jewelry that Eric gave me for ‘special occasions’ like dinners out. Well, we don’t go out very often (lol) so I was never wearing it!!! Now, I wear my special jewelry almost everyday.

I feel so good when I wear it.

I don’t care if I am just wearing lulu’s and a tank top, I am wearing my diamond tennis bracelet that Eric gave me as a wedding gift!!! ;) I don’t care what people think, I am wearing my nice things now because they make me feel GOOD. Right. Now.

And so should you!

Today’s Question:

Are you like me? Have you not used items of yours because you didn’t want to ruin them?? Do you think you will start to think differently about it now? What things do you avoid using on a regular basis?? Are there any items that you are going to start using/wearing more often??

Angela_Signature

Don’t forget everyone Jenna’s E-Dinner Cookbook is available to buy NOW for just $10!!! It features over 100 dinner recipes and all money goes to charity! What could be better??? :) I bought the dessert cookbook and I just bought this dinner cookbook. I can’t wait to check it out!

1 Nicole June 22, 2009

I have silverware and new towels from my wedding almost TWO years ago that I have not used!!! Thank you for the post, I am pulling both out from storage right after work. And my ‘good’ shirts that I have been saving will be worn. Why am I saving them??? I got a giggle tho, as I thought that I was the only one that did this :) Have a great day.

2 Marisa June 22, 2009

I love this post! Angela, you always write about topics and ideas that I am thinking about but don’t know how to manifest. You put them into words so well, that is why I love your blog, it makes me reflect on what is going on in my mind. I wear my diamond necklace every day, no matter what I am wearing too! You are right it makes you feel special and reminds you of the good things!

3 Jenny June 22, 2009

That’s SUCH a great point Angela!! And I looove luxurious towels, glad you’re finally putting those to good use!

I’m bad about “saving” outfits when going out. Like if I think one night might be more fun or different, I will save a really cute outfit that I feel great in…why not wear what makes me feel great WHEN I want to? Thanks for making me think!

4 nic June 22, 2009

SGBC – what about SummerGlowBootCamp?! :)

About your Q, I don’t know, I don’t have much special things, maybe because I practice your new “method” a few years now. So nothing is too special for me. I like to wear or use whatever I like at the moment. But I’m sure I had a bunch of such things too, just can’t remember right now! ;)

Have a nice day!! Hopefully your day is not as grey as mine is (soon was)…!

5 Recipes for Creativity June 22, 2009

Super Gorgeous Boot Camp? Can’t wait to see what it really stands for!

I am terrible about using nice things, too! I love the idea of drinking out of one of my fancy wine glasses just for water or a GM. I am actually terrible about even purchasing things I consider too luxurious; I think, well, I have towels already. They might be 5 years old, but they still work. I am slowly learning to treat myself, though!

6 Angie June 22, 2009

Angela- Great post!! I totally agree- I have never understood the point of having ‘fine china’ that just sits in a cabinet! I believe in living for the moment! But, sometimes it is easy to forget. Thanks for the reminder – and your towels look so luxurious…I’m going to go use my soft fluffy wedding towels right now!

7 Mary June 22, 2009

Angela,
I use to do the same thing until one day I realized I have never used that china I got for my wedding because we rarely entertained at home. Now every day we use the nice china, the nice silverware and crystal glasses. If something gets broke, oh well:)

Thanks for the post..live for the day!

8 Katherine June 22, 2009

I am just like you – we have china, silver and crystal from our wedding that we almost never use – it’s time to bring out the good stuff! I’m also going to start lighting the candle sticks we have on the dining table every night. Guess what, I really am worth it! :)

Start Glowing Boot Camp?

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2009

Its so true! I think we should use one ‘nice’ thing for ourselves each day!!! It should be a GOAL. I am going to try to do it once a day…might make for a fun blog feature??

10 Shelby June 22, 2009

I am the SAME way! Even with clothes I just bought. I hate wearing them unless I know tons of people see me in them. I guess I should just wear them for me!

Now I want to go see that movie!

11 Anne P June 22, 2009

She Glows Bikini Challenge?? or Start Glowing Bikini Challenge?? so fun!

12 Jenna June 22, 2009

I’ve been dying to see up! I hear it is great!! I must go and buy it now!! :) I love yiour idea of using your best stuff every day!! It’s so true!! We all deserve to use our best things and feel fabulous everday of the year not just on special occasions! :)

thanks for reminding us!

13 kim June 22, 2009

hmmm SG? Summer Goddess or Supreme Glo Boot Camp?

I think this is a great point! I like the one nice thing a day. I need to start doing the nice jewelry and taking more time for my hair and makeup in the morning. I feel SO good when I take the time to do this in the morning, but I only do it on “special” occasions. Thanks for this today, I need it as I’m feeling not so hot lately.

14 brandi June 22, 2009

She Glows Boot Camp?

Great message with the towels – I don’t wear my nicest stuff to work (clothes, jewelry) mainly because I’m unhappy here and I honestly don’t feel like dressing up at all. But I feel better during the day if I do.

15 Sonia June 22, 2009

I think it is Summer Goddess too!! I love your blog so much; I have been reading it FOREVER! I sat and watched BBBC but never participated, but I’m going to get with it this time…I can’t wait!! Thank you for all that you do- you are such an inspiration!

16 Jenn June 22, 2009

I too think it’s Summer Glow Boot Camp.

And yes, I’m guilty for saving my luxurious bath towels for “good” as well. Then one day it hit me – how much longer would I save them for good? They’d be so old that by the time we used them, they’d probably disintegrate when they came in contact with water! Oh – and I have a habit of saving certain pairs shoes to wear only for special occassions. Problem is, now I have kids and don’t get out as much as I used to and I’m starting to realize that my shoes are going out of style and had barely been worn. Getting out of that habit too. We went to the annual Greek festival here last night and I decided to rock my killer gladiator sandals with a simple pair of bermuda shorts. Life is too short.

17 ari June 22, 2009

super gorgeous body challenge!
i’m excited i want to start toning up!

18 Emily June 22, 2009

I love this post! I was packing for my upcoming move and found so many items that I save for the right time. There really is no right time though. Great thoughts on living in the moment!!

If you have a minute, please visit my new blog: loveandlibations.blogspot.com!!

19 Holly June 22, 2009

LOVED the movie Up – such a good message!

yeah for good towels, tennis bracelets and enjoying the now!

20 Natalie M. June 22, 2009

she glows boot camp?

Up is on my list of movies to see… I still have to see Wall-E! I keep saying I’m going to catch it on cable and I forget.. doh!

21 Angie All The Way June 22, 2009

For me it was when I realized I was “saving” all the bath bombs and bubble baths and lotions I’d get as gifts and not burning pretty smelling candles I’d have around the house and then I just realized one day “Why the hell not??” I’m lighting table candles for dinner on a “regular night” using good dishes, towels, linens, bath bombs etc. because they are there to enjoy! Great post.

22 Katharina June 22, 2009

I try to get out of that mindset. I just always remember the story of the woman who saved her best china for a special occasion. Then she passed away and she was never able to use it. I try to get as much out of life as I can. I think I’ve had a lot of eye-openers that have shown me how precious and fleeting life is.

However, I think I should some times lighten up a bit. Some times I get so caught up in saving $$$ that I don’t allow myself to indulge in those things. Not everything I get has to be a necessity. It’s nice to have some spoils too :)

23 april June 22, 2009

I do that a lot of things! Whether it be clothes or even make-up.. I need to just use them! Thanks for the great post!

24 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 22, 2009

Yay for breaking out the towels!! Life is WAY too short to not enjoy every possible moment we can. Including the huge, fluffy towels. :)

I think SGBC is Summer Glow Boot Camp, but my first thought was Sexy Glow Boot Camp, which I love. haha no matter what it’s called I just may call it Sexy Glow Boot Camp to myself. ;)

25 Crystal (Bye Bye Fat Pants) June 22, 2009

I’m with a few others SCBC is Summer Glow Boot Camp :0

26 Kaolee June 22, 2009

I am very much like you. You are so right though!

27 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 22, 2009

I am not one of those people who use special things only for special occasions. I love to make myself feel special every day!

28 OSGMom June 22, 2009

Great point about the towels & using the nice things around home. As much as I may think that I have really loosened up over the years about using the “nicer” things for everyday, I am still very guilty of not using the quality towels for myself. John was asking me a couple of weeks ago why I haven’t used the towels he bought me for Christmas and my reply was “I’m saving them for a special time” You have given me my wake up call this morning, so those babies are coming out of the closet, and I’m going to use them after my shower this morning! Here’s to living in the moment.

29 Christina June 22, 2009

I agree that life’s too short to hold off on doing anything! I always save my favorite outfits for when I’m going to see a lot of people but I should just be wearing them to make me feel good though, no matter who I see!

30 Krista June 22, 2009

Is it “She Glows Boot Camp”????

I’ve benn married 11 years and I still have bedding from my bridal shower that I have not used. I found some “new” towels in the bathroom not long ago and when I asked my hubby where he found them he said they were packed away in a box. They were from the shower, too! We’re using them now, though! :)

31 Marika June 22, 2009

I also thought of Summer Glow Boot Camp for SGBC!

32 Tammy (Defining Wellness) June 22, 2009

I agree — UP was amazing! I laughed, I cried, it’s one of my new favorite movies! Sometimes, I don’t wear my jewelry because I’m afraid of ruining it! So silly! I’ve been wearing it a lot more often in the past few weeks because that’s what it’s meant for!

33 sloth_cait June 22, 2009

I found UP sooo depressing. I cried twice. I did not see it in 3D however. I thought Doug the Dog was the best part!

Ps. bought Mary’s Organic Crackers today..and some Almond Butter and Spelt Cereal..way to inspire Angela!!! :D

34 Colleen June 22, 2009

Super Glow Boot Camp?

As much as it’s bad for you, sometimes I forgo the sunscreen in order to “enjoy” my skin. I just love the feel of the sun on my skin, and I admit I like a little color on my cheeks…so sometimes I use up my “good” skin in order to feel more alive (and glowing)!

35 Hayley June 22, 2009

A few people got to this before I did, but I also think it might be Summer Goddess Boot Camp. Yay!! I like the clues, very intriguing!

36 Sarah June 22, 2009

I’m guessing “She Glows Boot Camp” for the next Challenge.

Loved UP when I saw it with my son a couple of weeks ago. We both cried through the movie – it had some great messages in it. I agree with you – I started using all of the “good” stuff I own about a year ago. I have beautiful china and crystal, we use it all of the time for dining, and I started wearing the good jewlery my husband has given me over the years as well. Life is too short and we all deserve a little luxury in our lives – especially if it’s stuff we already own!!!
I can’t wait for the rest of the clues about the challenge.

37 Kate June 22, 2009

My mum once bought me really nice salon shampoo and conditioner and I barely used them for months because I didn’t want to use up the special shampoo…the thing is they were the HUGE bottles. I have started to use them, I don’t know why I wouldn’t use it before. Silly me!

38 nicole- chasing blue June 22, 2009

I love big white fluffy towels. It reminds me of vacation!

Next week will be my 8th anniversary and I’m pretty sure we’ve used everything by now! However I think I’m going to bust out my jewelry!

SGBC?
Super Girl Body Challenge!

We all could use thighs strong enough to hurt a man!

39 Danielle C. June 22, 2009

I think that I tend to be the worst about not wearing nice clothes often enough. Seattle is a pretty casual city and I hate feeling overdressed, but sometimes you just gotta do it!

I love my cozy plush towels, definitely so worth the splurge. Last year for Christmas I went out and bought a whole new set of towels for my Mom. She’s not the type to splurge on something like towels, she was amazed at how soft they were.

40 The Running Yogini June 22, 2009

Well we decided when we got our fluffy special towels (also for wedding presents) to put a few of them aside for guests and use the rest of them for us. So I’m part of the way there ;-)

41 Bethany June 22, 2009

I do that “saving” thing all the time! My husband and I have a running joke that I must wait at least a year to use a gift card. I “saved” a free smoothie coupon from my old gym for when I REALLY wanted that free smoothie. You know what? They went out of business before I could use it, and I lost out on it completely! How silly of me! I agree that we shouldn’t save things for a better time because you never know how long you have to enjoy them. Plus, it places more value on “things” than they really should have!

42 Carolyn June 22, 2009

If it isn’t “She Glows Boot Camp” it ought to be!~

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2009

Oh my gosh I LOVED reading all of these comments….so glad I am not the only one!!!

44 chanturtle June 22, 2009

I have a question! Are you still doing apple cidar vinegar shots?

45 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 22, 2009

Glad to hear you enjoyed the movie and even got a good message out of it. As for me, I’m actually the kind of person that USES all the “good” items. I just don’t see the point in having something wonderful if you never get a chance to enjoy it. My mom, however, is the complete opposite. She has fine dishes from her wedding (27 years ago) that she has STILL never used!!! I’ve tried time and again to change her, but that’s just the way she is. I can see where she’s coming from – she doesn’t want to ruin a memory or something she holds dear, but if you can never enjoy it, when are you ever going to savor that memory?

xxoo
Heather

46 amy (veganissexy) June 22, 2009

Oh gosh, I’m such a “no save this or that for a more special occasion!” I save my good underwear (lol) the expensive mascara, fancy expensive lip gloss, bottle of good wine, great work dress, etc. for a “better time.” Just a few weeks ago I told hubby we needed to start drinking the “good” wine we’ve saved up from all of our wine tasting trips. We’re trying to get preggo right now, so now is the time to drink….wear sexy dresses….and live it up! I just set out two of my super cute work dresses to wear this week because I’d been “saving” them for a special meeting or good occasion. I’m wearing one tommorow for no good reason at all :)

47 Holly June 22, 2009

She Glows Body Challenge! Heh. There are so many permutations of it, I bet someone got it right. :)

48 Eric June 22, 2009

The one thing that sticks out for me, is Mexican Tequila or Dominican Rum. My brother keeps bringing me bottles back and they sit in the liquor cabinet forever. Just got to pull them out and drink them. I mean 2:30pm on a Monday seems as good a time as any other.

49 leslie June 22, 2009

my guess is summer glow boot camp too.

this is such a good point about using the good stuff every day. we deserve to treat ourselves right all the time, not just on special occasions!

50 Amy June 22, 2009

I love this! I’m trying to think of the “luxurious” things I don’t use but should!! Hmmm….my pearl earrings that my mom got me for my birthday! I think they are so delicate, but I should WEAR them because they are BEAUTIFUL and remind me of happy thoughts. :)

51 Fitzalan June 22, 2009

A group of my friends and I took a challenge last year to see how long we could go without AC. Let me tell you, DC summers are INSANE. There was money on the line though, so we just left the house on the 100+ days instead of sweltering.

In the end, no one in the group turned on their AC the entire year of 2008…so no money exchanged. We ended up all just going out to a good dinner together to celebrate.

The group suggested seeing how far we could go without heat. I did not participate in that one!

Happiness Awaits

52 Denene June 22, 2009

Summer Goddess Boot Camp (SGBC) is my guess! I think I’ll call it this even if it’s something else ;-)

53 Kelly June 22, 2009

You have inspired me to dig out our fancy wine glasses that we got when we got married, 20+ years ago!!! I’m going to have my sparkling water w/lime in one tonight…!

54 lynn June 22, 2009

“SEXY GIRL BOOT CAMP”?????

It’s gotta be that- hee hee ;)

55 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 22, 2009

This is SO TRUE!! I felt the same way after seeing UP, too. Mirza and I were both in a great mood, but it also kind of made me sad, you know?
ps: man, I go to work for 13 hours and I feel like I miss so much;)

56 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 22, 2009

I wish I had “nice” towels to use – I’m gonna go out and get me some!!!

57 Liz June 23, 2009

I loved the movie “UP,” too. Another message I got from it was not to let your goals and dreams keep you from seeing what’s right in front of you– like when Mr. Frederickson was going to let Kevin get taken because he wanted to make sure his house made it to Paradise Falls. Sometimes we get so goal-minded and think that achieving this or being that will make us happy, that we forget to value the friends and loved ones around us who need us right now.

Thanks! I love your blog,
Liz

58 Jessica Champion June 28, 2010

I know this was posted a while ago but I am new to your blog and apparently I have a lot of reading to do! LOL. I connect with all of the posts I have read and it is awesome to feel that I am not the only one thinking/feeling these things. To answer your questions, I have some beautiful crystal wine glasses that we received as wedding gifts 6 years ago! I rarely use them, and they are so beautiful. I am going to start tomorrow!! I don’t drink wine but I did just discover that I enjoy white sangria soooo for Canada day I think I will make some. I do have some jewellery that I could bring out more so I will do that as well. Now you got me thinking…I wonder if there is anything else. I will have to ponder that for a bit. Anyhow the movie UP is awesome. I really enjoyed it as well. Your towels look so luxurious, I need to get me some. Have a great night, just had a big piece of the cherry, banana, coconut butter bread :D