Baking: Inside and Outside + Our A/C Challenge!

Sketchie says, “I hate Mondays!”

IMG_3965

He just LOVES lying in the sun!

Sometimes I touch his fur and it is scorching hot!!! LOL

IMG_3963

fitness It is amazing how great off days can be! Yesterday I took a rest day and this morning I was SO excited to go for a run! I was looking forward to it so much. I think rest days are really key. Not only do they let our bodies repair themselves, but they renew our motivation and give us a mental holiday!

I had a ton of green swamp water (aka Amazing Grass Wheat Grass powder mixed with WATER!) before my run today. It is 30C/86 with humidity and sunny today- oww!

IMG_3959

The run:

• Duration: 50 minutes
  • Distance: 5.35 miles
  • Max heart rate: 178 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 162 bpm
  • Avg pace: 9:23 min/mile

This run included two huge hills and a ton of sweat! lol. Although, I passed some guys putting up a new roof on a house and I can’t say that looked like fun!!! How do they do it in that heat????

Eric took a picture of me when I got back and let’s just say it didn’t make the cut! LOL!

I need to find my running water bottle that clips onto my shorts…I definitely needed water on this run and I didn’t have any! Probably not great for endurance…

I have been doing really well with stretching lately and taking my vitamins after runs! I also am now taking 1 ibuprofen tablet AFTER my runs to help reduce inflammation. So far I am feeling so great and barely sore even after long runs! :)

Please note that a reader named Kristen pointed me to some information about the danger of taking ibuprofen tablets before a run. Check out this article for more info. I am so glad that I didn’t take any before my 10k race now. Thanks Kristen! :)

As Karen points out, this topic is also widely debated. See here for research that points to the idea that it is not beneficial to take NSAIDS after workouts.

Guess what? I have a new playlist on my Shuffle!! I will be sharing it with all of you soon- you won’t believe some of the songs I have on it. :D I will tell you what I think the most amazing ‘Runner’s High’ song is on my list!

Eric has the day off today since he worked Saturday. He is currently doing renos on the house! Yippee! Don’t worry he will be blogging all about it!

food I have 3 big orders this week (one today, tomorrow, and Wednesday!) so I have been busy all morning baking my lil heart out!

Check it out, I was able to successfully ‘veganize’ the Glo Ginger Cookies today!!! I was SO pleased with how they came out. Eric actually likes them better than the previous version with egg!

They were crispy on the outside and slightly gooey in the middle!! SO GOOD!

IMG_3981 IMG_3969

Then it was a batch of my Vegan Chocolate Chip cookies! I added some walnuts in this batch and they were great!

IMG_3993

I had one ginger cookie and a bite of the chocolate chip cookie! Yum!

IMG_3997 IMG_3991

It is pretty hot in our house today with this oven on!

I’m not sure if I mentioned it yet, but I challenged Eric and I to see how long we can go without turning on our Air Conditioner this summer!

I am proud to say we have YET to turn it on once, even on the 30 degree days! :) I figure it is not only great for our pocketbook, but great for the environment too!

Today’s Question:

Do you have A/C? Do you use it often or leave it off?

One of my biggest pet peeves is walking into a store, office building, or mall and FREEZING because the AC is cranked so high!

In all of my previous office jobs I always had to wear sweaters in the summer!!! How ridiculous, isn’t it??!

Ok beauties! I am getting back to the kitchen to bake and prep orders! :) Thanks for all your comments this morning! I had such a ball reading over them and found myself laughing out loud at the silly things us girls do!!!! :D That ends TODAY, right???

Do you think men worry about saving towels or not using their favourite beer mug??? NO!

See you tonight!

Angela_Signature

1 Shelby June 22, 2009

Oh I HATE it when the A/C is too high! Especially in the movie theaters. I don’t want to be frozen to the seat when the movie is over!

Ours is on right now…I think its just because its so humid out! Bleh!

2 brandi June 22, 2009

those ginger cookies look awesome! I love ginger cookies :)

we have ours on already, but we don’t set it very low. we try to open the windows/put fans on as much as possible before turning it on.

3 Whitney June 22, 2009

I wear sweaters all summer due to the A/C! I absolutely HATE to have it blowing on me.

4 Karen June 22, 2009

An informative article about why Ibuprophen has no place in the body of an athlete.

Here is an excerpt with source:
No good coach should allow their athletes to take ibuprofen at anytime. Even if they are hung over..

Why?

NSAIDs have been shown to delay and hamper the healing in all the soft tissues, including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. Anti-inflammatories can delay healing and delay it significantly, even in muscles with their tremendous blood supply. In one study on muscle strains, Piroxicam (an NSAID) essentially wiped out the entire inflammatory proliferative phase of healing (days 0-4). At day two there were essentially no macrophages (cells that clean up the area) in the area and by day four after the muscle strain, there was very little muscle regeneration compared to the normal healing process. (Greene, J. Cost-conscious prescribing of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for adults with arthritis. Archives of Internal Medicine. 1992; 152:1995-2002.)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2009

Karen- very interesting! I am going to have o read up on this more! ~A

6 Kristen June 22, 2009

Those ginger cookies look delicious!

We just have a portable AC unit in our apartment and generally only use it on those crazy summer nights when the humidity makes it impossible to sleep.

This year our office building has been “certified green”…so I’m hoping that the temperature will be a little better this summer and I won’t have to bring in my sweaters.

The only thing that drives me more crazy than having to bring a sweater and socks to the movie theatre in the summer is the stores that have the AC cranked and the FRONT DOOR OPEN!

7 Amanda June 22, 2009

where i worked last summer was SO cold. i literally wore layers and layers each day and STILL had goosebumps under my clothes. it made it interesting when i had to walk a mile to get to my care at the end of the day. it’s hard to dress for the 90 degree weather outside and the 60 degree weather inside!

8 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 22, 2009

We have to keep the AC on at home it is 110 all summer here! I turn it up when we are gone though, but I can’t turn it completely off or my dogs would pass out. It is always freezing at my work. One day the Owner’s assistant literally yelled at me for turning the AC up. Are they not aware that I am saving them money!!

9 Krista June 22, 2009

I HATE a/c. The way I see it, I freeze all winter and I’m not about to do so in the summer. I hate how cold the malls and grocery stores are. NUTS! We installed a/c in our house when we bought it last year because it didn’t have any, but we hardly ever use it because I complain too much! :) Jason and Sarah appreciate the coolness so I just tell them to go the the rec room where it’s natuarlly cooler. I’m such a diva sometimes!

10 Valerie June 22, 2009

I a window AC unit in my room.. it’s pretty much a necessity at the house since it’s a 1.5 storey, so there’s no attic and the ceiling of my room is basically right next to the outer roof so the heat just comes right in. The upstairs bedrooms get boiling hot at about 25C and unbearable when it’s 30C+ outside.

Those cookies look amazing! I love ginger cookies and chocolate chip has always been my fave.

11 Hallie June 22, 2009

Those cookies look AMAZING! Good job :-)

We have A/C but never use it…or maybe we’ve used it once in the year+ I’ve lived with my BF in his condo. We live 2 miles from the beach, so we get the nice coastal breezes all summer long. Even when it’s hot, we use fans and call it a day…no reason to spend the extra money and energy on A/C where I live in sunny San Diego!

12 Jocelyn June 22, 2009

I agree it is veryyy very hot here, and i was at the mall and inside was FREEEEZING. I also went for a long long walk/up some death hills today…and if I haden’t brought water I don’t think I would have been feelin well!!

13 Recipes for Creativity June 22, 2009

I live a pretty air-conditioned free life! My house isn’t air conditioned, my vehicle isn’t air-conditioned, and my work isn’t either. But I work at home :)

I live in the mountains of NC and my house doesn’t get much sunlight (much to my cat’s disappointment), so it stays pretty cool. Good for you saving energy though, even with that hot oven on.

14 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 22, 2009

Since it got up to 108 F here yesterday, I think A/C is pretty necessary! I applaud your effort, though. We do try to keep the A/C off as long as possible, too.

15 elliebelle June 22, 2009

Sketchie is soooo cute! I too, absolutely HATE freezing cold AC. The good thing is that finally this year at my work they have turned it down (to save money) and I can actually wear normally summer clothes instead of wool sweaters! As far as AC at home, we have window air conditioners now and are working at getting central air. But I assume that we will use is sparingly.
p.s. those ginger cookies look so yummy!

16 Caroline June 22, 2009

I work at a college library where all of the little co-eds come in with shorts and tees all day long. I don’t know how they stand it! I have to keep a sweater on the back of my chair year round. Husband and I have been keeping our thermostat set at 78 and use ceiling fans when necessary. Many afternoons I end up turning the AC off for awhile and let it get up to 83 or so. We’ve been average mid to high 90s outside for a few weeks now though… slightly different situation than Canada!

17 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 22, 2009

Your ginger cookies look to DIE for! I love ginger in desserts…and everything. :) I dress in layers all summer long because the A/C pretty much blows right on me at my office desk, but then I drip with sweat outside – that can’t be healthy!

18 EatingRD June 22, 2009

Your kittie is so incredibly adorable, I love his markings! And your cookies look to die for. I love spicy cookies, yum! Did you just leave the egg out? Oh man, we made calzones for our housewarming party and the oven was just radiating like a furnace. Our a/c couldn’t keep up, especially with all the people. We have to turn our a/c on here in vegas or I think we would die haha, but since there are certain times they charge double, we run it at 84 during the peak hours and then turn it down slightly at night so it’s easier to sleep. I always have to carry around a sweater to places in the summer because they keep it so freezing cold in places. I just LOVE your blog!!!! happy baking :)

19 Dorie June 22, 2009

I have just discovered your website! I couldn’t wait to try your granola bars as I love to have healthy snacks on hand at all times. Love them! My husband and my teenager loved them too!
Oh, and I’m always cold and VERY RARELY will use the AC. I wear a sweater at work all summer because the AC is much too cold there.

20 Liz @ In The Skinny June 22, 2009

Oh my goodness! Those ginger cookies look amazing! I think I’m going to have to make those when I get home. I think I have to go eat a juicy peach to hold me over.

21 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 22, 2009

I live in Florida where lately it’s been feeling over 100 degrees before 9 A.M. I use A/C. :) I do keep my A/C a little “warmer” than most, and make good use of ceiling fans (only when you’re in the room though). We do this all the time because I’ve read that you use more energy turning your A/C on and off than letting it maintain a solid temp.

Oh and I think I drooled on my keyboard over that ginger cookie. holy deliciousness!

22 Susan June 22, 2009

Awesome run!! I can’t believe you were out in that heat!! Please send some to NB, it’s miserable here!

I live on the fourth floor of a brick apartment building without an air conditioner. It is bruuuuutal. We don’t have windows that can support one, so it’s a no-go. Some days I just sit and sweat. We have a balcony, but it faces the sun, so it’s not much better. Days like that I actually enjoy going into my sub-zero air conditioned office :P

23 Meghan@traveleatlove June 22, 2009

My office is ridiculously, uncomfortably cold all summer and really hot all winter. I wear tank tops in winter and a coat inside all summer.
I am grateful that we have a/c in our house, but we rarely use it as we get a good sea breeze.
We switched to wind power a few months ago so , even though it will be more expensive, I won’t feel so bad using it when necessary.
This summer has not been so hot so far. Today I had to close the windows because its so cold!

24 Caroline June 22, 2009

FYI I’ve read that Ibuprofen can cause acid reflux. You might want to check that out and take caution. :-)
I really enjoy your website and am looking forward to trying some of your recipes!

25 JB June 22, 2009

after working out a lot on saturday, i had a rest day yesterday too. this morning my workout felt great. i agree, rest days are nice for multiple reasons.

and those ginger cookies look scrumptioussss. the picture showing the inside of it is pretty close to making me drool.

-JB

p.s. is your cat a leopard?! haha, wow! he’s really, really, beautiful!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2009

JB- He is a Bengal..and he has 7th generation Asian Leopard in him! :) ~A

27 Crystal (Bye Bye Fat Pants) June 22, 2009

We have yet to turn our A/C on either. Sure it’s a bit hot in here but we do live in Canada so we should be use to this type of weather by now.

28 Jenn June 22, 2009

Funny you brought up the playlist topic. I thought of you and your playlist yesterday while I was running! I have a suggestion…you simply must add Sean Paul “Fire Burning” to yours.

29 Jenn June 22, 2009

Crap Sean Kingston – not Sean Paul!

30 Chelsea June 22, 2009

I decided that Friday was officially the first day of summer here in Madison, WI because we got our AC out of the basement. We only run it while we are there (which is mostly at night). It’s not so much that it’s hot, it’s that if we don’t run it we get a lot of condensation in the apartment.

31 Rose June 22, 2009

We have our A/C cranked at all times. But that’s probably because our utilities are included in our rent :) Still, sometimes it does get too cold and we do turn it down. But never off.

32 Amanda June 22, 2009

I don’t have A/C in my house and its usually not a problem, but my parents have central A/C so when it gets really hot I load up the puppers and we go down there. But this summer NH hasn’t gotten above 70 so it hasn’t been a problem!! We haven’t seen the sun in I can’t remember how long!!!

Your ginger cookies look so good!! So do the chocolate chip ones! My dad was asking for some yesterday, but for me to eat them, they would have to be vegan (dairy allergy). But yours look like they would do the trick for both of us!!

33 Jessica June 22, 2009

I agree … I hate going to the movies in the spring or fall and sometimes even in the summer because the AC is set to something like 55 … I swear it must be that cold in there because I end up needing a jacket most of the time. My boyfriend is opposite of me and is always hot … so we set our AC at 75, sometimes 73/74 but he keeps a fan on him almost always too so that helps. We live on the second floor apt though, so we get the cold air falling from the apt above and the bottom apt insulates us and gives us winter heat :) Yay!
-Jessica

34 Barbara June 22, 2009

Angela…Do you think the ginger cookies would hold up for shipping? They look A-MAH-Zing!

I honestly don’t think i’d survive without A/C here in TX. It’s going to be 98-100 more days this week and the nights only dip to the lower 80’s and sometimes 70’s.:( However…I wear a sweater at work because they have it turned WAY too high….figures.

Barbara

35 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 22, 2009

AWESOME workout Angela… but stay hydrated in this heat!!! :)

We basically do the A/C challenge every year. My dad has this thing that in the freezing cold, below zero, winter weather, he says he’s sweating hot and won’t turn up the heat. Yet when it is the middle of summer, 90* degrees, and 100% humidity, he’s suddenly freezing cold and won’t turn on the A/C. Hot Flashes anyone? ;) Anyways, we usually go until mid-July without the A/C and only turn it on for a few nights when it’s really hot. I usually don’t mind, especially when I think of all the freezing cold winter days in the months ahead!

xxoo
Heather

36 Jess M June 22, 2009

Angela, would you post the recipe for the vegan chocolate chip cookies? Or is it a Glo Bakery secret ;) ?

37 Angelea (Cabin Fever Feast) June 22, 2009

I second Barbara’s question about shipping the ginger cookies! I am crazy about gingersnaps, ginger cookies, gingerbread, ginger tea…. :-)

We live in central Arkansas with high heat and humidity (97 degrees right now), so we do use the A/C even though I am not fond of it. I used to go to extremes not to turn on the A/C or heat until my little one was born last February, then it was all about keeping him comfy!

Way to go on the hot run today!

38 Katharina June 22, 2009

Your cat is so beautiful!!!

Ginger cookies! I remember e-mailing you about making some. So glad you have a recipe :) and making them vegan-friendly is awesome!

39 Adorable in the City June 22, 2009

LOVE your blog! You are an inspiration for all of us who are trying to find balance and moderation in our lives. Keep it up, Ange! x

40 Lauren June 22, 2009

Yay to no air conditioning and saving the environment one person at a time. I hope more people are doing this too!

41 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 22, 2009

Can’t wait to see the new playlist! I’m picking up running shoes this week so I can start training for my first ever 5k – exciting!

42 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 22, 2009

hahah my AC is ON! I am Florida, though! The other day, I left for work and wanted to leave the balcony/porch door open for Max (cat). I figured it would be fine. I come home around 8pm and it is sooo hot in here. The thermometer read 87 in the house. I knew then Max would be spending a lot more time indoors!!

43 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 22, 2009

Luckily we don’t need A/C in our place, despite it getting very hot in Los Angeles at times. I think lack of humidity helps.

44 Enza June 22, 2009

Hello!

I tried your Pumpkin muffins tonight and they are delicious. I can’t believe how decadent and rich they tasted. I do Weight Watchers and they work out to a really low point, nutritious snack. I made 12 huge muffins rather than the 20 you made from the recipe – honestly – the best muffins I’ve ever had!

Thank you for sharing with us. I’m looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

Can I ask what market you are selling your products at? I’d love to stop by and pick up some products.

45 Kate October 23, 2009

I know this comment is kind of late, but I agree with you! I hate going into stores (or even the OFFICE!) and being crazy cold. The past three years, I haven’t once turned on my A/C. I live in a condo complex by the woods, and the sun rarely hits my side, so it stays pretty cool in the summers. If I was hot getting ready, I’d sometimes blow a fan my way, or I’d just take breaks drying my hair so I didn’t sweat to death! My bills those months were next to zilch! In the winter, I also keep my heat on between 60-63. I figure, just enough so the pipes don’t freeze and I can put more clothes on if I get too cold! On the other side, I hate being too hot in the winter. :)