FAQ Installment 31 and Scale Notes

fun

After seeing Leah’s awesome scale confessional this morning, I was inspired to write my own scale note!

IMG_3678

IMG_3680

BOOYAH!

Scale = 0, Ange = 15687

Don’t forget to watch my GOODBYE TO THE OBSESSION video!!! Send it to anyone you think might benefit from this message!

FAQs

247. Maggie asks, “Hi Angela, Like everyone else here, I love your blog! It’s very inspirational. I just had a few questions about your bakery and I apologize if you’ve answered these questions previously. Did you have to be approved for any specific food and health permits? I’ve been trying to find information on home bakeries and it seems like there would be a lot of red tape. Also, although I think your products look awesomely scrumptious, I was wondering if you ever had any doubts about starting your own bakery? Congrats with all you’ve accomplished and I wish you continued success for the future :)”

Hi Maggie! Yes, I most certainly had to be approved for health and safety permits. My food premises was inspected by my local Food Safety Inspector twice (and passed with flying colours!). They also test your water to make sure that it is safe. It is illegal to sell food from the home (or any other premises) if your food area is not inspected and approved. Contact your local Health Department (the easiest thing is just calling them, don’t waste your time like I did searching for the info on the internet). I abide by the Food Premises Regulation Act which governs Canadian Food premises. Secondly, I also decided to become a Certified Safe Food Handler because I believe it is very important to be well educated with food safety issues as a baker. I learned so much when I was studying for the exam! It is not required for me, but I knew it was a good decision to do it.

Apart from that, there are many by-laws and licenses that you need to apply for. Contact your local health department again and ask away. I had to have my zoning approved, food safety inspection done, and also apply for a business license before I was a legit operation. I also incorporated my business name, which, by the way, was NOT easy and took several applications. There is a lot of red tape around ownership for business names. I had a much easier time incorporating GLO Bakery than I did GLOW bakery as there were a ton of businesses with the word GLOW in it (no bakeries though!).

I have had doubts like anyone, but I try to push them out of my mind whenever they creep up. What I have realized is that business start up takes a LONG time and success doesn’t happen overnight. I see 2009 as my ‘start-up’ year and I hope by 2010, I will be a fully functioning and streamlined business. :)

248. Tina asks, “Hi Angela, I have been reading your blogs for awhile now, and I have find them very interesting and informative. I am enjoying your receipes, and I have been trying out the green monster. I am enjoying them. I wanted to make your granola bars, but I am having trouble finding the brown rice syrup. Where did you purchase this product? I tried Fortinos but I couldn’t find.What section would I find it?Also, congrats on your 10km. I was reading how you wanted to do the half in Mississauga in May. I actually did that one, and that was my first. Do you find training on your own difficult?”

I buy the brown rice syrup at Loblaws and Fortinos in their organic section! It is not in the normal aisles, if that helps any!

Congrats on your half! That was the race I was intending to do before my injury happened. As for training on my own, I TOTALLY don’t feel like I am alone with all of my amazing readers!!! I feel like I am training with all of you!

249. Kim asks, “Good afternoon! I am a relatively new reader to your blog and oh, I’m in love! I’m really really sad I missed the BBBC! I noticed you said there might be a summer edition, and I was just writing to say I’d totally be in if you did! Would it start soon if you decided to do it?”

There will be news about the BBBC coming up shortly! Stay tuned!

250. Anon asks, “ You know you have always been one of my favorite bloggers. I was wondering what you think accounts for your ability to have marked changes in your physical shape in a short period of time? I am amazed by how much change you saw after the BBBC! Do you feel your incredibly clean diet maximizes your results?”

I think it was due to a couple of things: 1) My cardio resumed its’ normal intensity and duration after 2 months off from my injury and over a month’ taking it easy’ with workouts, and 2) The core work. I had not been doing strength training/core work since last year so I really think it shocked my body into shape! For me, core work has been by far the most amazing thing for my middle. That, combined with my diet, and cardio workouts, have been the keys to my success!

251. Anon asks, “Hi Angela. I love your blog. I’ve been secretly reading for a while. Your recipes are awesome, I’ve tried a few of them already. Thanks for sharing your OSG recipes. Recently I started to jump on the Green Monster train, looking back at your Green Monster recipes, sometimes I see that you use raw spinach and sometimes I see that you use steamed spinach. Why is that? Thanks for your time.”

Nutrients in spinach are more bioavailable (absorbed better) when it is cooked, so that is why I try to steam my spinach before eating it (just make sure to use LOTS of ice in the green monster!). When I don’t steam it, it is because I am lazy or pressed for time.

252. Maria asks, “First of all i would like to say that i really enjoy visiting your website!!!! Ive made several purchases on products I never knew about before until i read about them on your website!!! Last week i tried doing your organic granola bars and they came out very good. however i have one question..are they suppose to be really moist??? Mine came out chewy and when you grab them they’re not as solid as a granola bar from the store?? do your comes out like that? also , how long are they good for? sorry about too many questions!”

Yes, my raw granola bars are very crumbly and are best left in the fridge or even the freezer. If you want more portable granola bars I highly recommend my On The Glo bars! They stay together even at room temperature. Want more proof- they lasted in the hot 30C sun at my race this weekend!

253. Erin asks, “Hi Angela, first I just want to say I love your blog! I made your granola bars and love them!! I’ve been trying to find the Amazing Grass products here in Edmonton, AB – but haven’t been able to locate them – do you know what stores carry them?”

You can order them online (www.amazinggrass.com) or if you live by a Whole Foods, they will be in Whole Foods stores in Canada starting this August! I’m sure that they will eventually expand given all of their huge success! Let’s hope! Remember, you receive 15% off when you enter ‘ohsheglows’ at the online checkout!

254. Julie asks, “Hi Angela! I love your blog!! I’ve been reading it for quite a while. You’ve give some excellent advice on your blog…so I wanted to ask you something. For the most part, I’m an incredibly healthy person – I run, strength train, do yoga, eat healthy, etc. However, I have one bad habit that I can’t seem to kick – cigarettes!! I feel like I’ve tried everything…I’ve quit many times but within a few months, I’m back smoking. Smoking is something I’ve never seen talked about on the health/fitness blogs but I’m sure I’m not the only one that struggles with this. I appreciate any advice you can provide! Thanks!!”

You are very right- I never see anything about smoking on any of the food blogs! I tried smoking when I was young and I hated it so thankfully I never had that problem. Several of my family members have beat the addiction though and I am so proud of them. I saw them struggle with it so much so I know how hard it is to kick.

Aside from the lung cancer risks that we all hear about, smoking also wrecks our beautiful skin! Arterial damage from smoking destroys the elastin and eventually causes wrinkles. I think one of the biggest things you can do for INNER and OUTER GLOW is to quit smoking. It affects every organ, every pore, every molecule in our body.

My dad has been smoke free for a LONG time now (over 15 years I think!?) and to this day he still says that he is no longer out of breath when doing simple activities like walking or gardening. I am sure that you would notice a huge improvement in your fitness too.

Want more proof- check out all of these benefits!!!

Quit Smoking Benefits:
The First Two Days
Two Weeks to Three Months
One to Nine Months
One to Two Years
Long Term Benefits – 5 to 15 Years

[Source]

I must say I am not well versed with what type of treatment options there are (and what are supposed to be the most successful) but I was hoping that other readers could chime in on this topic and help you out!! If anyone has kicked the habit, please leave your tips below!

GOODLUCK I know you can do it!!!!

I still have another installment of FAQ’s to get caught up! :) Hopefully over the next few days!

+++++++++++

See you tomorrow:

• A fun running announcement
  • Recap of recent HOT TOPICS!!! So much to say!!!
  • BAKED GOODS!!! My kitchen is flooding in them!!!!

PS- This is the redhead that the spectators told me to catch!!! So close…lol

Untitled

Ciao!! :) Off to bake…going to be another 12 hour day in the kitchen!!!!

IMG_3676

Angela_Signature

PS- Check out Eric’s SECOND post on HIDDEN TV’s- how cool!!!!!

1 Katy June 18, 2009

Hi Ange,
mmm those globuns look yum!
Random comment for you- I remembered that you mentioned your lack of good workout tunes on the blog a few days ago. At the gym last night I did a glow-inspired workout (1 hour on treadmill, mixing up speeds and inclines) and I thought I couldn’t get through the last 5 minutes. Thankfully, my ipod put on S Club 7’s “Bring it All Back” and I powered through :)
I know super pop-y music is annoying to some, but if you were a pre-teen when I was, S Club 7 will hopefully bring back some sweet memories!

2 Sara June 18, 2009

Hello!!

Just want to pass this on because I went on QUITE the hunt for Brown Rice Syrup. On the West Coast we have the Real Canadian Superstore instead of Loblaws – The two that I went to did NOT have the syrup. I checked Safeway & IGA with no luck there either. I DID find it at Save-On Foods with the Natural/Organic foods. Hope that helps some of you out =)

PS: The On the Glo bars were SO easy (I’m FAR from a baker!!) and tasted AMAZING =)

3 Meghan@traveleatlove June 18, 2009

LOL – I love race spectators and their comments!

4 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 18, 2009

Thanks for doing another FAQ installment. I just love reading through your answers!

Good luck in the kitchen tomorrow!

xxoo
Heather

5 Alexandra June 18, 2009

Hi Ange! Great post! I’m a newer reader… and just want to say Green Monsters ROCK!

But this comment is actually for Julie.

Julie – I know how difficult it is to quit smoking. Before I quit in August 2008, I could go two or three months without smoking and start right back up again. It took my husband getting bronchitis (he was a smoker too) and us both deciding to quit together. I honestly don’t know if I could have done it without his support (it helped just to know how disappointed he would be in me if I started up again).

I’ve now been smoke free for over 10 months and I can’t even begin to describe the differences in my complexion and my overall physical health. Here are some of the tricks that worked for me:

1. Keep busy! The first two weeks I was a nutcase. I reorganized my entire home top to bottom because I needed to do anything and everything to distract me from smoking.

2. Stay away from situations that you would want to smoke in. For me, this meant I was incredibly anti-social for almost 3 months! Most of my friends were smokers. I either didn’t go out at all, or when I felt the urge come on strong I would head home.

3. I used cough drops and gum to keep my mouth occupied.

4. My husband used the patch to quit smoking and it worked for him. I didn’t want to wear the patch all the time, but I did use the smaller dose patches as though they were cigarettes. If I found myself in a particularly stressful situation where all I wanted to do was smoke, I would slap one of those patches on and ride it out and then remove it once the urge was over. I had to use them maybe 10 times in the first month and a half of quitting.

I have to say: 10 months later I am AMAZED that I can go an entire night in a crowded bar patio with loads of people smoking around me and not have the desire to smoke at all. It won’t be until I get home later in the evening that I will be totally SURPRISED that it hadn’t even crossed my mind! I feel incredibly free without that addiction – it was such a huge part of my life and I associated with it more than I ever knew.

When you quit and go back to smoking, what causes you to go back? Do you find yourself in similar situations each time you fall off the wagon? Do you have a lot of smokers as friends or does your significant other smoke? Maybe avoid the situations that are most tempting to you. Or feel out the waters and if you can’t handle it, don’t be afraid to walk away. Get the support of your friends, or find someone who wants to quit with you that is counting on you for their success too.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2009

Alexandra- thank you for sharing the great tips and story!!! Congrats on your success!!!

7 Kristen June 18, 2009

You may not have quite made it, but it looks like you almost caught her!

8 Erin June 18, 2009

My friend swears by Allen Carr’s book about quitting smoking. She says if you’re really serious about it, this book can be a miracle! Worst comes to worst and it doesn’t, you’re only down 20 bucks. Less if you pick it up online ;) Good luck Julie!

9 Faith June 18, 2009

I had to laugh when I saw the notes on your scale…you’re so right about that!

10 Alexandra June 18, 2009

PS – I am LOVING all of the positive self-talk in the blog world today and I hope to see it continue!

11 Katherine June 18, 2009

I agree with Alexandra above – the positive self-talk is so empowering! I have two notes ready to go for tomorrow and can’t wait to place them :)

I also really love how positive and upbeat you are, even though I’m sure you are probably stressed beyond belief with all the baking/training/blogging/studying/BEING you’ve been doing lately! You are a great inspiration and, most of all, I feel like you still show your readers the “real” side of doing it all. Thank you for always being yourself!

12 leslie June 18, 2009

love love love that note on your scale! truer words were never written. i just adore your positivity angela!

13 Nicole June 19, 2009

I don’t own a scale. Then again, I’ve never had an issue with weight, so I guess I never cared…
good post!

14 LaurenE June 19, 2009

hey angela,

i’m a new reader, and i love your site! your posts about body image have been so inspiring to me – thank you :)

15 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 19, 2009

Great FAQs! I seriously thought you cut your hair in the last post! It would be super cute! Are you thinking about it? Come visit me in FL! We can go to Disney World and have a “Angela’s in FL lets do luch” Blogger Luncheon! It would be fabulous! :-)

16 Jenn June 19, 2009

Looks like you almost DID catch that redhead!

FYI, you can also check Bulk Barn for brown rice syrup. They aren’t always consistent from store to store with their whole food product content, but I have seen it at my local one.

17 Lina June 19, 2009

Hi Angela!

I just wanted to let you know your blog is fantastic! I read it almost everyday and I’m always inspired by your entries. It’s nice to read about your University experiences because I’m currently going through University and sometimes have similar struggles. Now I’m starting to watch what I eat a little more carefully and I’ve even started running! I wanted to thank you for inspiring me to focus on leading a healthier lifestyle rather than trying to be “thin”.

In the FAQs I saw there was a reader from Edmonton, AB asking where to find Amazing Grass products. I’m from that area as well, and I haven’t actively searched for that product but I think Planet Organic (our version of Whole Foods) might carry it or Organic Roots food market. If all else fails, she might want to try looking at health food/supplement stores. Good luck! :)

Cheers,
Lina

18 Stacy June 19, 2009

After reading all the glowing reviews, I’m totally going to have to find some of the ingredients you use and try your recipes!!

19 Allison June 19, 2009

I want to second Erin’s comment about using Allen Carr’s “The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.” My boyfriend used it and it’s been more than 5 months since his last cigarette! He spent a year trying to quit and says this book is one of the things that finally helped him do it.

The other thing about quitting–you have to really *want* to do it for *yourself.* If you’re quitting for the wrong reasons or aren’t totally committed, you’ll probably have trouble. And find a couple cheerleaders–some friends or family members who will support you and help celebrate your accomplishments.

20 Allison June 19, 2009

Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

21 Julie June 19, 2009

Thanks Alexandra and congrats on 10 months! And also thanks to everyone who recommended Allen Carr’s book. I actually bought it last night but haven’t started reading it yet. I’m glad to hear that book has been so helpful. I plan to start it tonight or tomorrow though!

Most of my friends smoke…and it’s situations like cookouts, parties, etc where I tend to fall off the wagon. And then before long, I’m smoking every weekend, and then it’s every day. I think I do need to stay away from those situations for a while. I do have one friend who quit around New Years and she is very supportive. I think I need to take advantage of her support and try to stick to social functions where she will be there (at least for a few months). My boyfriend does smoke also but he’s in Iraq (he’s in the Army) until Thanksgiving. If I can quit now and stick with it, I think I’ll be fine and won’t be tempted when he comes home. He is interested in quitting. If the book works for me, I might send it to him!

Angela – thanks for posting my question! I really appreciate everyone’s responses.