Goodbye To The Obsession

I saw something today that should just never happen.

I was in a grocery store and I saw a mother and her daughter, who looked to be about 7 or 8 years old. The mother was asking her daughter what she wanted for snacks this week, placing a box of granola bars into the cart.

The daughter picked up the box, looked at the label, and said:

“Mommy this has 5 grams of FAT in it!!!”

The mother, obviously used to this from her daughter, said, “Well what do you want to eat then?" and removed the granola bars from the cart.

The daughter said, “Nothing!”

My heart just broke for her and her mother.

And I knew immediately what tonight’s post would be about.

So I must apologize for having to post-pone my baked goods and Part 2 of muscle soreness until tomorrow, but some things just take priority when I believe in it passionately!

Please watch this video that I put together tonight. It helped get my feelings out into something that I hope will be constructive for girls and women out there who are struggling with the obsession.

You can also check out Caitlin’s challenge called Operation Beautiful! Caitlin is challenging all women to start leaving themselves sticky notes that have positive messages written on them like “I’m beautiful”. She also encourages you to leave positive notes in public places, like public washrooms to help other women stop the fat talk.

I know I am already doing it!

IMG_3586

IMG_3588

Tonight’s question:

What would you write to yourself?

Angela_Signature

1 Angie June 17, 2009

Excellent Post!!

I think we, as women, tend to spend too much time worrying about our bodies and not enough time embracing and accepting them.

As a dietitian, I spend a lot of time with patients/clients who definitely need to lose weight for health reasons, but I also spend time with women who are obsessed with losing those last couple of pounds- they are fit, look great, and don’t have fun in life beccause they are so worried about their bodies.

I’ll definitely check out Caitlin’s Challenge!

My first note to myself- “I love my strong muscles, and my soft curves!”

Thanks for a thought-provoking post!

2 beef June 17, 2009

Your video gave me the goosebumps. Please keep up what you are doing!

3 Milca June 17, 2009

This topic is really inspiring and close to my heart. I am constantly obsessing about my weight they way I look and then get depressed and eat again. I look at old pictures and begin to cry. I yell at myself, I tell myself,”How did you let yourself get this fat” Thank you, I am now trying to live one day at a time. I am trying to appreciate myself for the many things I have to offer. Great Post!!

4 Jackie June 17, 2009

My note to myself would say:

“I am strong, independent, smart, and beautiful. Don’t let me tell me otherwise. EVER.”

I am so guilty of having negative thoughts about weight. But, I am getting better. And finally I have stopped saying I am going on a diet or that I am working out because I am fat. I have said I am getting healthy. I am eating well and having fun.

5 Recipes for Creativity June 17, 2009

This post made me both sad and happy – sad that you saw that poor little girl already worrying about fat grams and the kind of experience she’s going to have, but happy that so many in the blogging community are making an effort to shift our thinking. I recently challenged myself to 30 days without calorie counting, weighing myself, or obsessing about what I eat. I’ve just finished day five and it’s WONDERFUL. I’m not overweight; I just always think I should be “better”, you know? But I’m letting that go. I’m almost 30. I have a wonderful partner and a great life. I want to enjoy it. Obsessive thoughts get us worse than nowhere – they take us backwards and downwards. Great post, Angela!

6 chanturtle June 17, 2009

Your note really hit home for me!! it makes me almost want to cry!!

7 Steph June 17, 2009

amazing post- society really is so messed up isn’t it? it is just so sad. i feel as though i have become much better over the years about not obsessing so much over my weight, but it is still on my mind as i am not yet at my “goal” weight. i have definitely gotten better at not caring what others think, and only wanting to change for myself. i have a question for you, and anyone else who wants to answer- do you think that you would be able to let go of all of these negative feelings and emotions if you were still at your heaviest weight? do you feel as though the positive changes that you have made to your body over the past few years have contributed to your outlook on yourself and your body image? how do you think you would feel if you gained the weight back?

i only ask because in my mind, i have always felt that if i just lost weight and got to my goal size that i would be “free” of thinking about my weight all the time. does that make sense? does anyone else think about this as well? why is it that many of us are happier when we are smaller? why can’t we just be happy as we are?!

8 Sad June 17, 2009

Sadly, this is so common. I was in a realationship with a man who had a 5 year old daughter who told me she wasn’t eating carbs when I asked why she took the bread off of her sandwhich. She stated her mother wasn’t eating them, so she wasn’t going to either; she said she was on a diet. I almost fell over… Mothers need to be GREAT examples for their daughters and watch every word that comes out of their mouths…their daughters are watching, learning everything from them!

The good news, the 5 year old and I had a chat…she started eating her carbs again. Her mother and I also had a chat, she wasn’t very happy with me about it though.

9 Marissa June 17, 2009

Thank you so much for making that video and sharing it! Truly inspiring!

10 Kayzilla June 17, 2009

I’m actually recovering from the whole binge eating and dieting mentality. I think the first step to getting rid of that extra mental garbage is to really look at your self-esteem. I think every woman out there should read Body Traps by Dr. Judith Rodin. Most libraries should have it since it’s pretty old, but the book itself is based on solid facts and solid therapy methods that reeeeally help. I think if I was the mother of that little girl, I’d push for her to read that book. Hell, Angela, I reccomend you check it out too. I think you’d really dig all the information in the book. :)

My first note: “Is all that self-hatred, rejection, and unhealthy habits for the sake of a fleeting physical apearance really going to help you live to 100?”

It’s my life goal to live until I’m atleast 100! So a quote like that really kicks me in the buns and makes me realize I need to cut it out and love who I am right now, and treat myself well.. Or else I won’t make it to be that old!

Great post, as always. You know, you were apart of my motivation to try harder at eating better, and working on my self-esteem with self-help books. Your passion for living healthy in all aspects in life has never failed to make me want to do the same. Thanks for being a positive influnece. :)

11 Anna June 17, 2009

That was very powerful. It’s true…what has our society come to? How have we become so disastrously fixated on impossible standards of beauty? Sometimes, I feel like a part of my childhood was lost–I remember sitting in alone in the school bathroom in 3rd grade, crying because somebody had called me fat. I can also recall so many times I resisted treats as a fourth, fifth, sixth grader, and it makes me sad that even then, “fat” feelings plagued me. Now, I have learned to love myself, and I firmly believe that self-acceptance is the greatest gift you can give to yourself.

12 Andrea June 17, 2009

This is so true!!

Sometimes I fall into the trap and see all these itty bitty girls and think if only I could lose 10 more lbs. to look like that but that’s not being fair to myself. I will be me and I am not overweight I am me! It’s o.k. to be curvy and not a stick!

My note to my self says: I am beautiful, smart,and worth it!!!

Great post Ange!

13 Shelby June 17, 2009

This is beautiful Angela, thank you SO much for posting this.
xoxo

14 Kate B June 17, 2009

Hello! After reading about what Caitlin is doing I started writing notes and posting them at work for my employees! The one I posted today says “You work hard and do an amazing job every single day! Thank you for everything you do!”. This was for other people, but it was also a little bit for me too because I have been feeling down at work lately. I am going to start posting notes around my house, the one I will write tonight will say “I am beautiful inside and out”!

Thank you for posting about this topic!!!

-Kate

15 Criztawl June 17, 2009

This topic is something that has always been something that I’ve advocated for. In College I did numerous assignments on Body Image and the Media. The last assignment I did was for an Advocacy course, we advocated for a positive body image in the media so that children would grow up seeing what the average person looks like. Our group is called “Dying to be Perfect”. We have a group on Facebook as well as a petition that we plan on sending to companies such a Rogers to have them remove negative commercials. We also made a video that in the end had people in the class crying over because they just didn’t know how serious this issue is.

Petition link if anyone would like to sign

Dying to be Perfect Video

Thank you for speaking out, your video was beautiful!!

16 Lindsay June 17, 2009

Thanks so much for this Angela. You inspire me every time I visit your blog – keep up the amazing work of making women feel great!

17 Bec June 17, 2009

wow that is sad too hear about that little girl… but it is hard to avoid the ‘fat’ talk since it is in the media everywhere from stars who are too think , too thick, what diets they are on, what diets you should be on…

18 Lynn June 17, 2009

“Do you ever wonder how many minutes out of the day you spend thinking about your weight?”

This was an excellent, thought provoking post. Thank you for all the time you spent making the clip.

19 April June 17, 2009

What a great idea! So many women will be touched by our little notes :) I have a notepad that has “a note from April” on them and i’m going to leave them everyone!

20 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 17, 2009

Thanks for the post! We need to acknowledge, every single day, that we are worth so much more than what we weigh, eat, and look like.

21 ttfn300 June 17, 2009

oh my gosh, that is heartbreaking! i love your little notes, and caitlin’s post made me really think about my relationship with myself. gotta give myself a break ;) And pass the message along…

22 NIKI June 17, 2009

Thank you for making that video!!! it was so very touching and just the thing i needed to give the motivation to get through this day and stop thinking about how i feel about my life, but to get out and LIVE IT!!! thank you thank you thank you. :-)

23 Erica June 17, 2009

This story makes me wnat to vomit….so sad

24 Brandi C June 17, 2009

Angie! How do you always find a way to AMAZE me?! That is hands down the Best and most ispirational video I seen in a LONG time (probably EVER)! Keep up the wonderful work. Love You!

25 Jessica June 17, 2009

I’m just now crawling out of that hole of disordered eating. All with the help of your blog girly. I haven’t felt this good about food in a while. Thank you! Great post.
-Jessica

26 Kelly June 17, 2009

Excellent post! I have struggled with weight for over 30 years and am finally getting to a point that I want to be healthy, not the thin person society expects. Keep up your fantastic work!!!

27 K June 17, 2009

Obsessing about my weight has caused me to not enjoy the moment, to not live my life for now. I feel like because it seems to at times consume my thoughts, that I miss out on some of the most beautiful experiences and moments because I am absorded in how my clothes fit, or what others think when they look at me.

It changes my moos, makes me aggitated at the ones I love because I am feeling miserable about my “image”. I know it is a waste of time and ridiculous, but at the same time…I cannot shake it.

I need to find balance…in my diet, in my level of activity and stop jumping around and engaging in the “all or nothing” syndrome.

Great post!!!

28 Jocelyn June 17, 2009

I think i would write that no matter what weight..I am beautiful and that reality isn’t losing 5 pounts per week if I AM trying to lose weight..reality is 1 pound per week and hitting plataus along the way!

29 elliebelle June 17, 2009

LOVE the video! I would write myself a note that says you are beautiful and imperfections are real, wonderful and interesting. I would tell myself not to waste my time worrying about how I look and rather just be present in my everyday life. Learn to look at the bright side!
Thanks for the post. :)

30 Danielle June 17, 2009

I love the video, and the message, and you DO inspire me! I decided about a month ago that i couldn’t bear the obsession any longer either. I’m treating myself well, better than ever perhaps, and I realized just this morning that now that I’m doing these things, I wouldn’t even CARE what the scale said. I will never go back.

Thank you!!!

31 Katherine June 17, 2009

Note 1: Thank you for being wonderful, beautiful, loving YOU!

Note 2: You are someone’s inspiration.

32 Jenny June 17, 2009

i have no words.. thank you for this post, Angela.. I am honestly in tears right now This video makes me feel LIBERATED and EMPOWERED. I have bookmarked this page and plan on watching it often. You are such a positive role model Angela and i feel so fortunate to know such a strong woman who is willing to speak out against the insanity and ridiculousness of the media and woman’s struggle to be thin.

33 Erin June 17, 2009

This is my first post Angela, after starting to read your blog a few weeks ago. It is SUCH an important topic, one that most women (and men I’m sure) struggle with. I took a workshop last Saturday on making peace with your food and body and for the first time, I really “get it.” I’m done with the scale, with calorie counting and fat talk. I’ll get to my healthy and happy weight eventually, whatever number that ends up to be. I always think “This is the only body you’re getting in life. Be kind to it”.

I also work at a college and come into contact with hundreds of young women. I can’t even imagine how many of them deal with this issue. I’m going to bring this issue to the attention of our women’s center/residence halls, etc.

Thank you for posting this and for being a great role model!

34 Kristin June 17, 2009

Love this post, love this idea!

35 Meghan@traveleatlove June 17, 2009

Wow, such an amazing video! I think just saying “You are enough” is something we do not do enough.
It is so sad what little girls are exposed to these days, and I fear it is just getting worse.

36 Katie June 17, 2009

My roommate in college would shower first and after showering she would wipe away steam on the mirror and leave a message for me. It would usually be something alog the lines of “You’re beautiful Katie:)” This suprisingly really did make me feel beautiful and better about myself.

I really like the idea of leaving notes for others!

37 Angi June 17, 2009

I wouldn’t be able to right now. That’s not looking for pity, it’s just being honest.

But I can leave a note for you:

Thank you.
You’re beautiful.

38 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 17, 2009

What a wonderful message to send out Angela! All the crap that we put ourselves through will NEVER be worth all the stress, frustration, and disappointment. It’s so important to learn to love your ENITRE self, every inch, just the way it is. Sure, it’s fun to look nice, but you will only be satisfied if you can love yourself behind all the skin and makeup.

“The only person I have to impress is myself.”
“Every minute I spend thinking negative thoughts about myself is a minute wasted.”

Thanks for taking the time for this discussion Angela!

xxoo
Heather

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2009

All of you continue to inspire me and amaze me each and every day!!!

I love:

YOU ARE ENOUGH.

So simple yet so perfect!!

Angela

40 Kathryn June 17, 2009

What a great post! It’s such an important message for girls (and guys) of all ages!

I linked you on my blog, too.

41 e June 17, 2009

Excellent video and post.

42 jen June 17, 2009

at my thinnest (88 unheathly pounds), i still wasn’t satisfied. now i binge on 1000s of calories. i restrict. i count and weigh and measure and over exercise and beat myself up in a vicious ugly cycle.

even if i lost weight again and have a six pack, will i be satisified? probably not. because i won’t be able to see me how other people see me. i will never be good enough for me.

so for that, i’ll take a minute…

my thick legs carried me through 3 5ks, up 5.9 climbs at the rock gym, through countless 100# squats. i curl 20# like its 2#. i bench my bodyweight. i cycle up hills i had to walk the bike just 2 years ago.

thanks, body, for sticking with me even when i’m an abusive jerk.

43 Becky June 17, 2009

Wow that is sooo sad :( I love the idea of sticking positive notes about myself where I can see them. Years ago I would post magazine clippings of skinny celebs or models I wanted to look like on my refrigerator but now I realize that is ridiculous and unrealistic. Thanks for the inspiring post :)

44 Hangry Pants June 17, 2009

This is so ironic! Today at work we gave the kids apples and peanut butter. A fifth grader said she didn’t want any peanut butter and another girl (also 5th grade) asked her why. The first girl talked about how she is on a diet and peanut butter will make her fat. The second girl, obviously with it, explained to her the difference between good fat and bad fat and how she was silly for being on a diet. It was awesome!

Also, love your note!

45 caitlin June 17, 2009

love your video!!! thanks for spreading the OPERATION BEAUTIFUL message!!

46 mommyruns June 17, 2009

Wow! A beautifully GLOWING post Angela! As a 35 year old mommy of 2 little girls and as a 5th grade teacher, I realize that I have a HUGE obligation to myself and the people in my life to stop letting the scale dictate my mood. Sadly, I find it hard to let go…

My note to self? So what if the tummy you have is not as tight as you want it to be, you carried two beautiful girls in that tummy.

47 Sara June 17, 2009

Thank you for a great post, Angela. You’re awesome. I also love this note: “You are enough.” I’m tearing up just reading it; like you said, so simple, yet perfect.

48 Maggie June 17, 2009

Angela,
Your 5K seems to have really inspired your latest writing – I love it. Keep doing what you are doing and spread the glow!

49 lena June 17, 2009

Thanks for the timely reminder. I know what it’s like, been through it and it really spoils relationships, am still working through it, forging on. i hope to succeed one day in focusing on other more beautiful things than berate myself. thanks Angela. :)

50 Sam June 17, 2009

Recently I found a piece of paper stuck into a brick wall at a local coffee shop that said this: “Dear loved one, even if I never meet you, I would still like you to know that life is beautiful and so are you.”
That random note affected my life in more ways than the writer may ever know. It is now framed and sits proudly on my bookshelf, and everyone who walks into my house sees it. Some people ask, and I get to share the amazing story.

51 Bethany June 17, 2009

I’ve seen/heard that same conversation. It’s very sad, and it makes me even more resolute to deal with body image issues now, so I don’t pass them on to my future children.

Thanks for the wonderful video! You’re such an inspiration!

52 Jenny June 17, 2009

That video was so powerful Angela! Thank you for that.

I tell myself everyday to “be rational. love yourself. and TRUST yourself. Because you can.”

53 Help Meghan Run June 17, 2009

I am enough. Hard to believe sometimes, but oh so true. :) LOVE IT.

HelpMeghanRun.com

54 TorontoGirloutWest June 17, 2009

What a powerful note. Good on you for having the guts to write it.

55 Michelle Hisae June 17, 2009

That was a very moving video, Ange. My heart goes out to those 9 and 10 year olds…they should feel beautiful. We all know what that stress leads to. It’s life changing.

What struck me the most was when you asked how many minutes each of us think about weight/food during our days. TOO MUCH.

I should tell myself, “Life is too short to worry about this day after day,” and “You know you’re gorgeous – show it off!”

56 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 17, 2009

I have done several research papers on young girls and eating disorders. It is so so sad. I probably would have cried if I saw that in the grocery store. The media sickens me with all of those tabloids about people’s weight and whatnot. Amazing post.

57 Meg June 17, 2009

Thank you so much, Angela. This was beautiful.

58 Kelsey June 17, 2009

i wish that every woman could see this video. maybe then, once mothers realize what they are passing on to their daughters and we stop comparing ourselves to other women, this fat + hate talk can end.
i have started to come to the realization that health and happiness is more important than image and the scales. life is too short to worry about minute ‘flaws’ that no one else notices.
thank you for the touching post!!! you are such an inspiration!! :D

59 kim June 17, 2009

wow, such a powerful post! i think my note would say “you are a strong, beautiful, intelligent and successful woman, no matter what your weight is.” i know that i’ve made a lot of bad decisions in my life because i thought i wasn’t worth it, because being fat made me not worth it. it really was just recently that i started to realize that being healthy is NOT just about the number on the scale or the size on my pants – it’s a mental thing too. working on my mental health is what is finally allowing me to work on my physical health.

60 EatingRD June 17, 2009

Great post Angela. I used to be pretty restrictive with food when I first became interested in nutrition in High School. Almost a bit of orthorexia, but not quite that extreme? I would eat healthfully, but not enough for my very active, dancing body. I’ve now realized that I don’t have to be so strict and can enjoy every aspect of cooking, eating, spending time with family and friends. We need to realize that each one of us is special and our bodies deserve nourishing thoughts just as much as nourishing and satisfying food.
-kristen

61 Emily June 17, 2009

I love that this topic is being discussed! Thank you for the inspirational video.

62 Katharina June 17, 2009

I can’t believe that happened either! Sometimes when I see or hear things like that I want to shield whoever that is from those thoughts. I try to live and think positively and I hope to exude that so other people can embrace it too. I know one thing I am against vocalizing is how one piece of cake will make me fat or something ridiculous like that. I don’t like to say “I’m a fat ass” when I’m indulging, even though I heard that sooo much from other people. I know they mean it jokingly, but I think it must have a subconscious affect. I mean people have such a twisted view on what food does to the body. It’s all these diet products and achieving “thinness”.

63 Christy June 18, 2009

Jen, this is the best line of the night.

“thanks, body, for sticking with me even when i’m an abusive jerk.”

My, God, how true is that. No matter how much I’ve resricted, over exercised, binged, given up on myself, hated myself…my body keeps going and moving.

My note to myself:
Look at all you’ve done. Look where you’ve come from. Look where you are. You are strong, smart, fun, successful and beautiful.

64 Sheri June 18, 2009

Thanks for posting this, Angela! There are so many women that torture themselves over their weight. It’s not just young girls either. There are a couple of women in their 30s & 40s at my gym who are clearly anorexic and starving themselves. Let’s send them love & help them remember that they are beautiful!

65 Marissa June 18, 2009

I absolutely love this video! So simple, yet so inspiring. Exactly what I needed!

66 MarathonVal June 18, 2009

I love that you are talking about this important issue. Like many women I have had bouts of disordered eating over the years, but no matter where I am in that journey, I ALWAYS tell myself that when I have children I would never show them anything but how to eat healthy and to love themselves!

67 Holly June 18, 2009

I came over here from Caitlin’s journal, and I just have to say, you are gorgeous. :) I’ve added you to my reader. No, not just cuz you’re pretty, but because so many of my favorite blogs recommend you!

68 Steph June 18, 2009

amazing! :)

69 Laura June 18, 2009

Thanks for another positive blog post, I’m so pleased I started reading your blog, I think you have a really great attitude. Keep up the good work, that was exactly what I needed to hear/see/read this morning, thank-you!

70 Marina June 18, 2009

I can’t see your video :(

71 lauren June 18, 2009

wow, that video is so powerful and reminded me why im trying to recover from an ed….for freedom, for a life and because life free of an obsession with my weight is something worth fighting for. thanks for posting this ange :) you have no idea how inspiring this is for me!

72 Maya June 18, 2009

I love the idea of treting yourself as you would a good friend. What a great idea.

73 Marika June 18, 2009

My note would say “You are stronger than you think you are.” It’s something my mother said to me one of the many times I was selling myself short and questioning my own abilities.

74 Michele June 18, 2009

Excellent post and video!! I used to express myself through videos like this, but that was when YouTube still allowed posting of videos set to music. I’m curious about how you were able to put this video online. I’d love it if you sent me a quick e-mail to tell me about it. I miss making videos, but when I can’t share them with anyone, it makes them feel less therapeutic.

Again, valuable post and video!!

75 Tonya June 18, 2009

I cannot tell you how much this post hit home for me. I have been reading your blog since March, and you have truly been an inspiration to me. I have had this weight obsessive mentality since I was 12. I am 33 now and have an 8 year old daughter. Since I started reading your blog I have quit counting points and have recently quit weighing myself. It has been so freeing and empowering. I do not want my daughter to think that these behaviors are okay and that it is all about being skinny and seeing that “perfect” number on the scale. Food is meant to fuel our bodies and to be enjoyed. That is what I want her to know. It is so sad that this way of thinking is commonplace among women. Many of us seem to want to get away from it, but we don’t. I think it is definitely time to break the cycle. Thanks for the great messages that you send.

76 Susan June 18, 2009

My relationship with myself is my most important as well. I was lucky enough to be taught this by my mother at a young age. People will always come and go in my life, but I have put up with myself forever, so I better learn to love myself!!

77 Jenny Marie June 18, 2009

Just Awesome! I’m going to post your link on my blog. Thank you again!!!!!!

78 Kaye June 18, 2009

WOW. What an absolutely inspirational video.
Goodbye to the hate talk. I would tell myself…”I am a wonderful person and if others can’t see that, that is THEIR loss!”

79 Kathy June 18, 2009

Thank you–this really hit home for me. I truly believe in affirmations ala Louise Hay. What would mine say, “I love me just as I am.” Thank you for reminding me that I am more than the numbers on the scale and my clothes!!

80 Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) June 18, 2009

That is awesome – we all need a little help in reminding ourselves that we are enough, each and every day. Thank you for all you do Angela – I know we are all so lucky to have someone around that reminds us of these things :).

81 Dori June 18, 2009

Angela, first of all you are so talented! The quality of the video is great. That said, the content is even better. It really made me take a step back and wonder why I continue to torture myself every day. You are so right — who cares if I am not as skinny as I used to me (my main measure of comparison with myself). No one cares — or even NOTICES — other than me. It shouldn’t matter, I have so many things to be thankful and grateful for. My boyfriend in particular can’t understand when I am so hard on myself and now I plan to keep the words from this video in my mind every day.

I especially loved the line to treat ourselves like we would a good friend. Would I ever judge my friends for gaining a few pounds? Of course not! If I even noticed, I’d probably not even think about it after that. I’d want to make them feel great about themselves, not awful for not being “perfect.” Thank you so much for this.

82 Krista June 18, 2009

I am SO glad that my 10 yr old daughter does not fall into the 80 some % of 10 yr olds who restrict their eating. She has a very healthy appetite and has a strong, fit body from being active. A 10 yr old should not be concerned with calories, fat, etc. They need to be kids!

83 TINA June 18, 2009

Great Post!
I believe that “Operation Beautiful” is such a great idea.
Because we are beautifully and wonderfully made!!!

84 Kim June 18, 2009

Best post I have read all day! Thanks for the reminder.

Kim

85 Kristen June 18, 2009

Angi (waaaay up there in the comments- at 9:13PM June 17th):

Your imperfections are what make you beautiful.

(if you can’t say it to yourself, maybe a few of us just need to say it for you until you CAN do it for yourself.)

86 Kiersten June 18, 2009

The scene you described in the grocery store upsets me so much. It’s absolutely horrible that our society has become so obsessed with weight and being thin that even young children are affected by it. Your video brought tears to my eyes Angela. I used to be so obsessed with body image and being thin that it was killing me- physically and mentally.

As horrible as society can be to us women, it gives me hope when I see things like Operation Beautiful. It’s a reminder that there are still women out there who won’t let the media change the way they feel about themselves. I hope that everyone will take part in this and spread the message that we are all beautiful and perfect just the way we are!

87 Fitzalan June 18, 2009

To tell myself that it is okay to not be perfect. That imperfection will lead to a happier and more exciting life.

And that conversation between the mother and daughter–I went through that as a kid, but the one saying “but it has 5 grams of fat in it” was my mother to me–not the other way around. Equally as scarring.

Happiness Awaits

88 Sam June 18, 2009

I’m in the process of going from obsession to acceptance. It’s a tough road, but reading your blog and seeing your success gives me (and I’m sure tons of other readers) hope that it’s possible. You did a great job on the video, tackling such a tough and much talked about topic.

My note would say:

“You have the ability to change your life and the potential to do amazing things. Don’t sell yourself short.”

89 Barbara June 18, 2009

Oh man did this hit home!

My note to myself…Girl, remember that a dress size or scale weight doesn’t define you as a person or take away from your beauty”

I’m so hard on myself…wish i could lighten up and enjoy life more!

B

90 Natalie M. June 18, 2009

I would write to myself.. keep doing what you’re doing because your opinion is the only one that matters!

The video you posted was incredibly touching…

91 Natalie M. June 18, 2009

Ok I’ll admit I even shed a tear or two.

92 Heather June 18, 2009

I really appreciate you taking time to do that video! It really hit home along with a couple post-its on Caitlin’s page! I have linked you both along with a little story I shared on my blog today. I wasn’t very nice to me last night but nipped it in the bud.

I actually find myself being better to myself, not obsessing about calories, etc, since I’ve been reading some of the blogs I’ve come across lately.

Can I just tell you how much better life has been?!?

Thanks for being you, being honest & being a real role model for strong women!

93 amy (veganissexy) June 18, 2009

Wow Angela, if this isn’t the truth. I admit I’ve been totally obsessed with all of the bad body habits for years. I go to sleep thinking of all the ways I could have eaten better during the day…how I could have worked harder at the gym….sweated away 5 more minutes on the treadmill….then wake up to do it all over again the next day. I’m constantly thinking of what I’m going to eat…not eat….etc. It’s such a horrid cycle. I read a really interesting arcile in one of my fitness magazines that suggested women binge so they have something to worry/stress/punish/and think about afterwards. It said that when we are punishing ourselves by working out and restricting calories after a binge it takes away from whatever underlying problem you may be trying to avoid. Made a lot of sense to me. It’s a project mentality…..what would we have to stress and work on if we weren’t obsessed with getting “thin.” Terrible. My husband, who of course is the best guy ever reminds me all the time when I start comparing myself to celebs/models/people in magazines: “It’s their job to look good Amy. They get paid mucho bucks to work out, eat healthy, and focus on nothing but themselves and their image.” I really wish we could all see ourselves the way our husband’s, boyfriends, etc see us. No matter how many lbs I lose or gain my husband thinks I’m he most beautiful woman on the planet. ***I really need to try and use him as my mirror****

94 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 18, 2009

Brilliant! I love positive reminders on body image, and I actually think that those of us in this blog genre have at least some responsibility to put this message out there! I will make sure I link back to you and Caitlin on my next blog post – it’s the least I can do.

I think I should put a note on my mirror that says something like “What you see here is your choice.” Because when I make a conscious effort, I really am capable of looking in the mirror and seeing everything I love about myself, and I love more about myself every time I do that!

95 Julia June 18, 2009

Ang – excellent post. I have an eleven-year-old younger sister, and I’ve noticed how easily she picks up on the little things we say to ourselves or others, while eating dinner, buying groceries, out for lunch, getting coffee, etc. I tend to use phrases like “this is healthier” and even then, to hear her ask my mom if fruit snacks are healthy enough to get makes me cringe! Even last year, in fifth grade, my little sister’s friend wouldn’t eat mac & cheese are our house b/c she was dieting like her mom. And another one of her friends constantly calls herself fat and asks my sister if she thinks she is fat. So sad. My mom is really good about what she says, but we are both guilty of buying the magazines and commenting on the appearance of other women at the pool and whatnot. We all need to watch ourselves and think about the impressions we are making.

Thanks again for highlighting such an important issue in today’s society!!!

96 Sarah June 18, 2009

Oh my gosh, if I had witnessed that I probably would’ve cried. In fact, I kind of want to even though I didn’t.

I grew up overweight with parents who had no idea what they were doing (nutrition-wise) so I can totally relate. I have so many memories and experiences that make me even more grateful that I am who I am today.

Especially when it comes to my future children!

97 shelly June 18, 2009

I love the video!!
I especially liked the part that said “reclaim your life.” (I actually think you should make an Oh She Glows T-shirt that says that.) :)
I would say to myself “You rock at life!”

98 Denene June 19, 2009

Angela – are you going to share your recipe for Gl’oreos or did I miss it?

Also, as a mom of two young girls, I struggle with getting them to eat healthy foods – they’d much rather eat chocolate all day. So where is the balance of allowing them to have treats but also teaching them about nutrition? I struggle with food now because my mom let me eat whatever I wanted and as a result gained weight and wasn’t healthy. So while I agree that children shouldn’t obsess about looks, they also have to be taught how to eat nutricious foods.

99 Melissa June 20, 2009

I’m lying here with tears running down my face. I want to reclaim my life that my scales have taken from me. Thanks for the video Ange! I’m am trying to remind myself when I look in the mirror that I am beautiful!

100 Rebecca June 20, 2009

Great Post. I am actually making a collage with inspiring cut outs from Self and Shape magazines to hang up in my apartment. :-) Little girls should not obsess over calories and fat.

101 Milk June 24, 2009

as soon as the video about feeling good in the skin you’re in finished, an advert came up, and it said ‘lose 8 kilos in 4 weeks’

why do people even advertise such things?

I don’t know but it is frustrating…I wish I could turn them off!

102 sybilla January 12, 2010

Hi Angela. I am fifteen years old and i am from Russia, Moscow. I dont quite rememeber how i have discovered your blog, but since I have i realised that i am not alone anymore. I know u live so far away from me, but your story about body image, your eating disorder, and having a chance to loose something very important for you is really close to me.
I have started to have aeting disorders since i was 13, i ate tons of chips, cookies, sweets wich i dont enjoy very much. I would rather eat a papayaor mango, or something healthy. I was struggling alone, nearly dying from starvation looking at magazins and all the shit.
some time after i realised that there are a lot things wich are more important than that, family, friends, live
life is hard, we have to live each day!!!