Skinny-Mini GloBuns

img 2150 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

You know the saying, “Do 1 thing that scares you everyday”?

For me today, that was creating a healthy vegan cinnamon bun recipe.

I recently asked you for suggestions on healthy Glo Bakery items that I could make. What classic recipes did you want made healthier?

An overwhelming amount of you screamed at the top of your lungs:

MAKE A HEALTHY CINNAMON BUN RECIPE!!! wahhhhhhh.

I had so many people suggest that, I actually was starting to think it was the same person! (I kid, I kid). :)

I don’t know about you, but I am taunted to this day by Cinnabon. Back in university, Leah and I used to go to a gym together that was right next to a Cinnabon.

We’d enter the gym smelling Cinnabon

And we’d leave the gym smelling Cinnabon.

At 730 calories and 24 grams of fat, it better damn well smell that good.

Let’s face it. We want our Cinnabon without doubling the size of our buns! Right?

But I was scared, oh yes, I was shaking in my buns. But I channeled my inner Martha and dove right in…

And no, you aren’t dreaming. I am revealing the recipe! How could I keep this to myself?

I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. Life is too short to hog a skinny-mini bun all to myself.

Skinny-Mini Globuns

img 2147 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

Makes 15 skinny-mini Globuns

Ingredients:

• 2 T margarine (I used vegan Earth Balance)
  • 2.5 T milk (I used low-fat soy)
  • 1/2 t apple cider vinegar
  • 6 T plain yogurt (I used Soy yogurt, unsweetened)
  • 1/2 cup All purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking powder (I use aluminum free)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or brown sugar or sucanat)
  • 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 T milk
  • pecans or walnuts for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a cake pan (or whatever small pan you have handy) with parchment paper.

2. With a stand or hand blender, blend together 1 Tablespoon margarine, yogurt, milk, and vinegar until smooth.

3. Sift in the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt). Blend just until dough forms, no longer. The goal is to handle the dough as little as possible. Take the dough with your hands and pat up the rest of the flour in the bowl.

4. Set the flour on a very well floured surface (more is better when flouring surfaces!!) and dust some flour directly onto the dough. Now roll it out with a rolling pin. In a pinch a soup can does a borderline job, but it ain’t pretty! lol. Roll dough out into a rectangle and trim sides with knife or pastry roller.

img 2108 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2109 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

5. Melt 1 Tablespoon of margarine and spread the melted margarine over the dough with  a pastry brush- or in a pinch- dip some paper towel in the butter and spread. Easy peasy!

img 2110 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

6. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a small cup. Now sprinkle into the dough leaving about 1 inch around all sides.

img 2116 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2113 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

7. Now roll up the dough as tightly as possible. Watch out- it might be tricky and the dough might stick a bit. You won’t sweat it though because you are the goddess of the kitchen, right?

img 2117 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

8. Now cut the roll into 1 inch sections. Place into a pan.

img 2120 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

Note: I made mini buns for portion control! You may make larger buns if that floats your boat.

9. Bake for 16 minutes. Dough will be lightly golden and a bit crispy on the outside and soft and doughy on the inside (are you drooling yet?). Remove and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.

img 2122 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

Pick your jaw off the floor when they come out of the oven and remain calm. We still have to ice these little guys!

10. Blend the powdered sugar and milk to make the icing. Place icing into a piping bag or simply a plastic baggie and trim the end. Now drizzle with icing and place a few crushed pecans or walnuts on top.

img 2138 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

11. Enjoy, you skinny-mini! :)

img 2155 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2135 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2142 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2143 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2147 thumb1   Skinny Mini GloBuns img 2151 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

I also made them into balls in petite four liners :)

img 2153 thumb   Skinny Mini GloBuns

Now for the important part!

You won’t believe how low in calories they are! And vegan to boot! Calories includes icing!

untitled thumb4   Skinny Mini GloBuns

The taste?

• While these clearly weren’t as sticky and greasy as Cinnabon’s, they were absolutely delicious! Eric doesn’t even like cinnamon buns (I know, I know) and he really liked these. He said they were nice and light, not too sickly sweet and awesome!
  • Note: Warming the buns for 5-8 seconds in the microwave = PURE BLISS.

What I would change in the next batch?

• In the next batch I may sprinkle on some powdered sugar over the dough itself. I found that the icing on top was great, but the bottom of the bun was lacking a bit of sweetness (just a bit!). Edit: After having another one- I am not even sure it needs any more sugar- I loved it just the way it was!
  • Next time I may also add 1/2 T of margarine to the icing to make it a bit more rich and luxurious.

Time for clean-up then a late dinner! See you tomorrow morning hotties (Yes, I read your 5 top body parts!!! meow!) :)

angela signature thumb69   Skinny Mini GloBuns

Erin May 26, 2009

WOW – I cannot WAIT to try these!! Thank-you!!!!!

katecooks May 26, 2009

you are turning into this gourmet chef right before our eyes!!!!

chanturtle May 26, 2009

you are amazing!!!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) May 26, 2009

The nutritional data for those are insane!!! Good job!

haya (living and learning) May 26, 2009

cinnabons are deadly!! every time i take the subway into work it takes all my willpower to not stop and get two day’s worth of fat and calories in a little styrofoam box.

this recipe sounds interesting. have you considered trying to use yeast instead of the baking powder? i think that might make them taste more like the real thing (or at least, the yeasty taste is one of my favorite things about cinnamon buns)

Michelle Gay May 26, 2009

They look amazing. I usually hate cinnamon rolls because they are WAY too sweet…they actually make my teeth hurt..isn’t that weird? However, these look amazing.

Kayzilla May 26, 2009

You rock my socks.

I’m not even wearing socks. The socks in my dresser are being rocked by your awesomeness.

The stats. And how yummy they look..! -drool-

Are you planning on adding them to the Glo bakery as well? :o

Gillian May 26, 2009

I must, must try these! I just got maple flavored crunchy flax seed that could possibly be delicious rolled up inside! Coconut cinnamon buns could be good too…now you’ve got my appetite and imagination going!

andrenna May 26, 2009

NO YOU DIDN’T!!! These look amazing. I’m so so so excited to try them. In high school, the peak of my unhealthy days, I used to eat those cini-minis from Burger King. These look like them – but healthy! Thanks for the recipe.

Christina May 26, 2009

mmm, and I was a little bummed at the mall last week when I thought of how I’d never have a Cinnabon again (whilst passing a Cinnabon stand with that hard-to-resist smell). Thanks for this, they sound amazing!

julie May 26, 2009

oooooh my god those are insanely heavenly looking! you’re a baked goods genius girl :)

Anne K. May 26, 2009

Those look incredible, and they have awesome stats! I bookmarked these to try them out– I can’t wait! Thanks for the awesome recipe :D

gliding calm May 26, 2009

gurrrrrrrrrl, you are too talented!!! those look outstanding!!

Menden (Skinny Menny) May 26, 2009

Oh. my. goodness. These look sooo decadent!

Heather May 26, 2009

OMG these are amazing Angela! And the nutrition is so surprisingly healthy! Great job on these and congrats on facing your fears. It’s worth it! ;)

Kris May 26, 2009

Heavenly!!!! I can’t believe the stats on them! Wowzers ;)

ttfn300 May 26, 2009

wow, i’m so excited right now :)

shelly May 26, 2009

Wow! These look amazing!!! I definitely want to give them a try! I have a question- as a non-vegan, I have butter instead of margarine in the fridge b/c I’ve heard that butter is better for your heart. Would using butter instead of margarine impact the calories for these buns?
Where do you stand on butter vs. margarine? I don’t use butter very often, so when I do, I don’t worry about using the real thing regardless, but I would be interested to know if there is a health argument for margarine.

emily May 26, 2009

You are ridiculous – these look soooooo good! I need a real kitchen again so that I can create these for myself!

Bec May 26, 2009

wow I need to try these!

Priyanka May 26, 2009

Seriously, thanks for this recipe!! I always wanted to try WW cinnabon. This is perfect and the nutrition looks great!

Michelle Hisae May 26, 2009

WOW, I am very impressed. You just went where no health-but-foodie has ever gone before.

Amanda May 27, 2009

i love cinnamon rolls. and then i don’t like them. and then i love them again. does anyone else go through food stages like this?

those look great though! thanks for sharing!

Niki Frew May 27, 2009

THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU for sharing the recipe! These look SO good. I am know for my baking powder biscuit cinnamon buns, but they are so unhealthy! I am going to try these and see if I can others to make the healthy switch with me. :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous May 27, 2009

They look AMAZING!

Do you know what? I actually FORGOT that there was a cinnabon right next to the gym! Talk about trying to blank out the temptations!! I have to say, that was mean putting it right there now that I think about it. The amount of times we walked by it… lol.

Lara (Thinspired) May 27, 2009

Can’t believe you got it on your first try!! Well, I can, because you rock ;) Now how about that biscotti I suggested? Hehe.

Laura May 27, 2009

Well these are on my todo list!

BethAnn May 27, 2009

You are fantastic! You could rule the world lol…I need to make these right away!

Marisa May 27, 2009

Angela, I just wanted to say you might just be the new love of my life! Cinnabon is so tempting there is one in the mall across the street from where I work. I can’t wait to try these!

Last night I was shopping cook books in Chapters and found myself thinking “I wish Angela had a cookbook, that would be a must have”. Just putting it out there!

Tina May 27, 2009

THANK YOU! I can’t wait to try these! Fantastic! And I am absolutely horrified that cinnabons are 730 calories and 24g of fat, that’s just disgusting! I’m happy we don’t have a Cinnabon in Sweden.

Krista May 27, 2009

Angela, you are a genius! :)

Holly May 27, 2009

Crappola – I think I just drooled at my desk! They look sooo good!

P.S. I think we are all guilty of a Cinnabon splurge or two in the past :)

Whitney May 27, 2009

I cannot wait to try these! I printed the recipe immediately! You rock!

amy (veganissexy) May 27, 2009

Wow! I seriously don’t know how you keep coming up with better and better skinny versions of things! I die everytime I fire up my computer. Sigh….how do you keep from eating the whole batch??? I just can’t bake very often because I end up “quality control” testing til I feel sick :( I say I’ll just have one, then I end up wanting to see how they taste right out of the oven…then how they taste after cooling down…then how they taste after sitting overnight :) Yikes :) Anyhooo…..I love your hot buns ;)

Ashley May 27, 2009

you are forming into an AMAZING chef! girl, you’ve got it goin on. i wanna try and make these, and I absolutely CAN NOT believe the nutrition stats. youre awesome

Bev May 28, 2009

I made these and they tasted great. They did not get as big as yours. Do you have any idea why ? I followed the recipe.

my only idea is that the dough was overmixed? I didn’t mix mine much- only until just formed. Other than that I am not too sure! Did you use different ingredients for anything? ~A

Bev May 28, 2009

Thanks, the only thing I didn’t have soy yogurt so I used my greek yogurt. I’ll try them again and try not to overmix

Nikki May 30, 2009

Hi! I’m so excited to try this! But does the T stand for tbsp or teaspoon? Thanks!

Sarah August 23, 2009

These sound/look great. But when I went to make my batch… I didn’t get far. Upon laying the dough out to roll, it turned into a sticky, gooey mess. What did I do wrong :-(

Jul October 3, 2009

Wow, Ange, these are *amazing*! I’m new to baking, but this was at the top of my list of recipes to try.

They came out great! (http://foodplusme.blogspot.com/2009/10/cinnamon-rolls.html)

Thanks so much!