Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

fitness thumb18   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

Today was a rather mixed up day for exercise but it actually turned out to be fabulous!

I headed out for a run and after about 15 minutes I came in because my blister was bothering me again. I tried doing a couple things to help it but it was still painful so I knew I had to call it a day- at least for running anyways! It was a shame because it was 25C, sunny, and I felt great!

The run:

• Distance: 1.62 miles
  • Duration: 16 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 160 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 149 bpm
  • Avg pace: 9:51 min/mile

I was really craving the 30-Day Shred for some reason!

For those of you who remember, I got the 30-Day Shred back in January and did it a couple times just before my injury.

I believe my groin injury was a result of too much running combined with the intense plyometric cardio segments of the 30-Day Shred. For those of you who have done the Shred you know what I am talking about. There are many moves that require lots of jumping (e.g., jumping squats and lunges) and have lots of impact! I believe that I injured my groin by doing the mountain climbers- really fast and intensely. Then I ran on it the next day.

However, that being said, the Shred offers lower impact exercises for people who are either injured or who want less of a challenge. SO I decided today that I would just do the modified cardio moves and still get a great workout in!

I had done level 1 and level 2 but not level 3 yet, so I dove right in and did level 3. It was a fantastic workout- even with the modifications! Man I was S-O-R-E and S-H-A-K-I-N-G!!! Jillian scares me!

The Shred: Level 3

• Duration: 26 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 153 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 121 bpm

Boy was I sweaty after level 3!! I loved level 3. I could do the modifications pretty easy and I still felt like I was getting a great workout. I really wanted to stop after circuit 1, but I told myself I would go until circuit 2. Then when I got to circuit 2, I told myself ‘just 1 more circuit then I’m done’ and it worked! :) I love the baby steps approach to tricking myself into working out longer. Sometimes I say ‘just a 1/2 more mile’ or ‘just 1 more set’ and then when I get to that I can often go longer.

Working out is such a mental challenge more than anything, isn’t it? I loved reading your comments from this morning’s post on how you power through your workouts!

food thumb27   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again! Dinner tonight was very quick and simple because Eric got home late and we wanted to get outside for a walk while it was still sunny outside!

I started with 2 slices of WF Sprouted bread, toasted. With some ‘ketzhup’ (tomato paste!!) and 1/2 an avocado. Then I added 1 slice of tomato, 1 handful spinach, and a Money’s Veggie Burger:

img 1796 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!img 1801 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

img 1804 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again! img 1806 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

Then I had a wheat berry and tomato spinach salad on the side:

img 1798 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

• 1/2 cup wheat berries
  • 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
  • 2-3 cups spinach
  • Kraft Light Balsamic

This was my first time trying wheat berries!!! I bought them at Whole Foods last week. I soaked them for a few hours in a Tupperware dish filled with water this afternoon. Then, I cooked them on the stovetop on low for about 1 hour.

The taste?

• Wow, I can’t believe I hadn’t tried these before! They were really good and super chewy. If you like chewy things these are for you!! They add such a great texture to the salad.

Nutritional profile for wheat berries:

Per 1/2 cup, cooked: 151 calories; 1 g fat; 29 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber.

img 1797 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

And dessert was a delicious baked vegan doughnut covered in raw turbinado sugar:

img 1807 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

I think this was my favourite one yet! Eric brought the rest to work today and his coworkers loved them!

After dinner we headed out for a walk and did the same route as my run today (1.62 miles). It was absolutely the most gorgeous night out!!! Warm, sunny, clear, and stunning scenes:

img 1808 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again! img 1809 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!   img 1821 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

It was a nice walk! Eric and I caught up and felt so at peace with the world tonight.

img 1822 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!  img 1820 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

I love nature.

On that note, I have some Glo Bakery things to work on tonight and then we will likely end the night with a show- The Mentalist perhaps?

I also just sent Kath my guest post that she will be featuring on KERF while she is away. Here are two teasers:

1. It is a new Glo Bakery goodie that you have never seen before
  2. I am revealing the recipe

And a teaser picture:

img 1786 thumb   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again! muhauhuaha!!!!

Oh by the way, we finally finished season 7 of 24!!!! We watched the finale last night. What a Cliffhanger!!!!!!!! I guess we have to wait until next Fall to see what happens :(

See you tomorrow AM for thoughts on today’s hot topic!!!

angela signature thumb53   Jillian Don’t Hurt Me Again!

Helena May 20, 2009

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for a few months now, but I’ve never commented before. That veggie burger dinner looks so yummy, I’m inspired! I just bought some today so maybe that will be on the menu for tomorrow night. I love that you blog about things like body image and disordered eating, and getting through tough workouts. These are the things that I’m faced with everyday, and it’s nice to be reminded I’m not alone. It’s also nice to see a blog from closer to home. I just moved from the west coast over to this lovely province three weeks ago, and it’s kind of hard meeting people, finding things to do, etc. On a positive note, now I have tons of time to relax and focus on me. :) Anyway, keep doing what you’re doing!

Amy May 20, 2009

I made an AWESOME veggie burger from Pampered Chef tonight. I posted pics tonight on my blog if you wanna take a peek!

haya (living and learning) May 20, 2009

aren’t the blossoms on the trees now gorgeous? my bike rides to work are lilac-scented and i am loving it!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 20, 2009

Isn’t it amazing how the brightness of spring makes everything better??

Jocelyn May 20, 2009

eeeek the shred just came in the mail for me today!!! I will definitly be taking baby steps with that :P good for you for doin it today!

Sara May 20, 2009

I was doing one of Jillian’s videos (the Boost Metabolism one) when I hurt my ankle! So much bouncing! But I love her videos because you really get a great workout. Boo.

Christina May 20, 2009

Mmm wheat berries in salad sounds good. I only ever put them in my oatmeal. The veggie burger looks great too – a wonderful dinner!

Alison May 20, 2009

When I started the shred back in January I jumped right into Level 3 because I had borrowed it from the library and only had it for a week…. so I wanted to get to the “good stuff”. It was so awesome that I bought it and was shocked that Level 1 and 2 are tough too! Jillian does not mess around, I LOVE HER! Her new book Master Your Metabolism is fabulous, it’s all about eating clean and how the chemicals in our foods, soaps, cleaners, beauty products mess up our metabolisms and make us sick. Interesting stuff and worth checking out.

Katherine May 20, 2009

I love Jillian Michaels!! I watched the whole season of the Biggest Loser this year and she was just amazing. I’ve been addicted to the Shred too, but I can’t believe you’re doing the complete Level 3 after running! I hurt my ankle pretty badly in a spinning class about two months ago so I’m just getting back to exercising and I can’t wait to start her DVDs again – though I’ll be back on Level 1 for sure.

Your veggie burger looks delicious! I’m still eating meat and some dairy, but I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetarian fare into my diet.

have a great night!

Help Meghan Run May 20, 2009

That veggie burger looks delish! Love the idea of tomato paste as ketchup. [And watch out...the season finale of The Mentalist is scary! :) ]

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Nicole May 20, 2009

I LOVE 30 Day Shred. I am almost finished with 30 days and it amazes me that I can even get through the workouts. On day 1 of level 1 I did not think I would be able to finish 30 days.
Anyway, on a completely unrelated topic…I had my first ever (non-homemade) larabar tonight. I have been making them using your directions from a previous post because I couldn’t find them anywhere in my town. The hubs actually spotted them at Walmart. I was so excited. I had to share the news with someone I know would appreciate my excitement…lol. I will probably keep making them myself, but man it was yummy.

theoddbod May 20, 2009

that sammy looks unreal! i must be cravin some carbs

Heather May 20, 2009

Sorry to hear that the blister was bothering you. Ouch, those sure are painful! Looks like you were able to enjoy a beautiful walk a little later though!

I’ve always wanted to try wheatberries but can never seem to find them in the stores. I’ll just have to keep searching around! ;)

Bec May 21, 2009

those donuts are still making me drool!

Asta May 21, 2009

Hey Angela:)
I’m just wondering – for Jillians Shred- what do you need- is an exercise mat, motivation and a couple of dumbbells enough?

Erin May 21, 2009

Pretty trees! Are you fully vegetarian now? I haven’t been on in a while, so I was curious. AND your vegan donuts and meal look delish!!

brandi May 21, 2009

beautiful day! I think I’m going to have to get the Shred. our gym membership is up and I need to keep my muscles toned!

Carolyn May 21, 2009

I don’t know if you would consider this the same as the wheat berries you are getting but this is what i use…and it only takes 3-5 minutes in the microwave with 3/c water…No soaking…

Bob’s Red Mill “Whole Grain Cracked Wheat Hot Cereal”. The only ingredient is Whole Grain Hard Red Wheat…Isn’t that wheatberries or am i confused? Nutrition profile per 40 gm dry is 140cals, .5gm fat, 29gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 5 gm protein…

It’s much more simple than all that soaking.. I keep a bunch made up in the fridge and it’s great to sprinkle on everything…or smoothie add in etc… chewy chewy chewy… and easy!

Holly May 21, 2009

Those doughnuts look soooo good! I’m also hunting down Jillian’s shred – it’s about time this gal tried it out for herself.

Have a fabulous day~

Diana May 21, 2009

I just watched the last 24 last night too. I can’t wait to see what happens next season!!!!
Diana

ruby red vegan May 21, 2009

Must. have. homemade. vegan. donuts.

So we could also just roll up the batter into little balls and bake for a bit less time to make donut holes?!

YAAAAY!