FAQ + Cupcake Cookies

FAQs

I wanted to address this reader question that I received the other night, as well as my answer! Sometimes I think that the question and the answer can benefit others so I post it on the blog.

Here we go:

Hi Angela,

I have quite a few things I want to say and ask, so I’m going to make a list! :)

1. I LOVE your blog.  I read quite a few food blogs, but lately I am just really, really drawn to yours.  You are a great example of health, and an inspiration to me.

2. I am really interested in your food philosophy.  I’m a vegetarian, and have been for a long time (I’m 29 and became veg at 13) and have played with veganism on and off for the last three years or so.  I’d like to start eating a vegan diet about 90% of the time because I don’t really believe dairy is that great for me and I know the greenest way to live is to eat absolutely no animal products.  For some reason, though, at times if I’m too strict with myself about the no dairy thing, I end up binging on something cheese related.  I guess I’m mentioning this because I know you avoid dairy and maybe you could tell me about your journey to that place.

3. I saw on your site that at some point you had trouble with binge eating.  I didn’t binge eat until a few years ago, when I was putting lots of pressure on myself to lose weight, imagine that! I did lose weight, but I couldn’t maintain it because I…well, because finally the binging got the better of me.  I think part of it was the constant unhappiness with myself, even though I was at my goal weight…I thought being thin would make me happy, but I didn’t even believe I was thin anyways. Your section on your road to health was really, really inspiring for me.  (I just read it again.)  I love the idea of getting rid of the scale and the idea of long term goals…instead of constantly thinking, I need to lose this weight by June! I’d rather be thinking, what do I want my health to be like in a few years?  Overall I’m a very healthy eater and love to exercise, but it’s time for the binge eating and I to part ways.  And I want to be free from this. No more fighting with myself about my body, no matter what my size.

4. I’m help others for a career.  So sometimes, I get wrapped up in the idea that I need to be perfect, because how can I guide other people through their life’s goals if I still struggle with myself?  But I think that’s silly.  I think my struggles make me stronger, and help me relate to others, just as your struggles help you relate to all of your readers.

…what I really want is freedom.  I feel like if I dropped my end of the rope, the end that I pulling so hard on, that I need to look a certain way and need to be a certain weight, I wouldn’t even have the desire to overeat and my healthy weight would find it’s way to me.  That’s why you are so inspiring, you seem to have that part of your life under control, and even if you overeat you don’t beat yourself up.

Anyways, thank you for your blog, and thank you for writing honestly about your journey.  I hope I can be an inspiration to others in the same way you are an inspiration to me.

~J*

Yea, I know…wow. I constantly say that I have amazing readers, and this email is proof. So many of you are so candid, open, and honest with me and I really feel a connection when you share similar problems that I too have gone through.

Here is my answer:

I honestly can relate to your situation SO very very much. Did you know that I initially wanted to be a therapist when I was in school and I feared that I could never do it because I wasn’t 100% perfect?

What I have realized is that NO one is perfect. Even counselors or life coach’s or Oprah or whoever. Everyone battles their demons. We all have them! I think what is important to realize, and what I think you have realized yourself, is that you don’t have to be perfect or have all your problems fixed, to be able to help others. Sometimes just the fact that you are going through a similar situation as someone else is enough to help them through. I find the feeling of being alone with a problem is so alienating for people. Just to know that ‘hey I’m here and I’m going through it too’ is all that they need, at least temporarily.

I think you are wonderful and the fact that you are this concerned about whether you are a good fit for your career tells me that YES you definitely are. You obviously care so much and are sensitive to the people that you help.

What you said about binges was dead on. Many people forget that binges don’t start until we start dieting!!! Crazy huh??? Not really if you think about our evolution and survival mechanisms. Our bodies respond to threat:

Too little food combined with intense mental pressures (I’M FAT, LOSE WEIGHT!) results in binges.

Once I stopped dieting my urge to overeat eventually stopped too. They won’t stop right away (We are creatures of habit) but eventually they do.

About diary, I suffered from stomach problems for years until I finally figured out it was diary that gave me pains in my stomach. Now I don’t get them AT ALL. Its amazing. I would only suggest going diary free if you absolutely WANT to, not because you think you should. See the difference? I don’t feel denied with respect to diary because it was a free choice.

Keep your chin up and keep smiling. :) It takes time to find an inner peace, but I know you will. All the effort in the world is worth being content with yourself and your life situation.

Thanks for your email J! :) I’m sure you have helped so many others simply by opening up.

fitness After yesterday’s strong run, I was just itching to get out for another- blister or no blister! I applied the moleskin to my blisters and I also used the lace locking method. I think both of them helped. I was able to run in minimal pain. :)

I also wore a different pair of sneakers- my Nike Free’s. These have a super soft heel and don’t rub against my blister like my other sneakers do.

The weather was beautiful- crystal clear blue sky and 27C!!! How could I not go for a run???

IMG_1270

I couldn’t believe how tight this lace locking method got my sneakers!!!

IMG_1267

My workout:

• Distance: 3.28 miles
  • Avg pace: 10:12 min/mile
  • Max pace: 8:29 min/mile (saw a bee)
  • Max heart rate: 166 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 149 bpm
  • Feel the burn: 270 kcals

It was a wonderful run with only minor blister pain! It feels SO good to be running!!! :) I am going to do lots of stretching tonight to make sure my muscles aren’t tight (which they currently are!).

fun

Sweet Wheat Egg-less sugar cookies CUPCAKES!!!!!

Royal Icing:

IMG_1260

Flooding the cookies with Royal Icing:

IMG_1258

Here are a few of my favourites:

IMG_1290

Krista is coming to pick the cookie order up tomorrow around 9:30am!! They are for her daughter’s birthday! I hope she likes them. :) I will be doing a fun recap tomorrow AM! Weeeeee.

Tomorrow I will also tell you about some exciting birthday plans for this long weekend! I’m pumped :) As well as our PAINTED FAMILY ROOM!! Here is a teaser!!

IMG_1292

Have a lovely [Office] night!!

Angela_Signature

1 Heather May 14, 2009

SUCH adorable cookies Angela! They look so fun to make!

Can’t wait to hear about the birthday plans and see the new room finally unveiled. YAY!

2 life coach jen May 14, 2009

OMG Angela, those cookies are GAWJUS!!! Love them! I may love to bake, but I certainly don’t have that level of mad decorating skill. You rock.

3 Stephanie May 14, 2009

It feels so good to know that there are other people out there with the same type of issues.

Thanks for blogging about it!

Awesome looking cupcakes!

4 Bec May 14, 2009

so cute, perfect for a birthday party!

5 Shelby May 14, 2009

Those cuppers are so cute!!!

6 Michelle Gay May 14, 2009

I feel like I could have written that to you. Thank you for sharing that with me..it’s a constant reminder that I can trust myself to be heathly and happy without a scale and without diets. Thank you so much Angela…you’re such an inspiration and constant support for all of us.

BTW..cute baked goods. A woman after my own heart.

Michelle

7 Lynne May 14, 2009

Those cookies are so cute.

8 Christy May 14, 2009

As always, thank you so much for the honesty that you provide in your blog. I think that writing out the reader’s email and your response is going to help people more than you know.

And those are the CUTEST cookies I have ever seen. I am, literally, drooling!

9 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 14, 2009

OH MY GOD can you please figure out how to ship safely to the states at some point before my bridesmaids luncheon in early November?????

10 Christina May 14, 2009

I’ve been craving a cupcake all day and these pictures don’t help! They look so good Angela, you’re amazing!

11 Jenny May 14, 2009

those cookies are absolutely precious! I want one right now :)

12 Kiersten May 14, 2009

Your advice on helping others while battling with our own demons is great. I am switching majors to psychology next year because I want to help others who deal with the problems I have gone through. I’ve found myself thinking at times “How can I help someone else if I still have my own problems?” When it all comes down to it though, No one is problem free. No one is perfect, nor do they have to be to make an impact on someone else’s life.

Adorable cupcakes, by the way

13 Alison May 14, 2009

Thanks for sharing about eating issues. It’s funny that I never really overate until I developed eating problems. Prior to extreme calorie restriction food was just something to eat…not too much or too little. Then it became the main focus in life. Now that I’m healthier I can enjoy the benefits – I enjoy food much more than I ever used to.

14 Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 15, 2009

Those cookies are so stinkin’ adorable! Cupcakes are the happiest dessert EVER, so combining them with a cookie is even better! Are they gluten free? I was confused by the title.
I agree about the calorie restriction/binging thing. If people just listen to their bodies instead of restricting them they will even themselves out. When I was gaining the weight back after being diagnosed with Celiac’s, I would go on crazy food binges. Now, I needed to gain weight so it was sort of a good thing. Eventually, my body evened out. Now that I am back to a normal, healthy weight, I no longer binge. I still eat more than my husband though! (HAHAHA)

15 Juli (Peanut Butter and Juli) May 15, 2009

This post put a smile on my face. Those cookies look marvelous and your words about binging are so true- it’s only when we restrict that we want MORE!

Thanks for your awesomeness:)

16 Amanda May 15, 2009

Angela, Thanks for continuing to bring up the topic of binge eating. I know it’s not a glamourous one, but putting it out in the open is extremely helpful! What I have realized is that if you don’t make any foods “off limits” or “bad”, then the desire to binge is greatly reduced. For me, ice cream was the treat that I was “not allowed” to have. Once I got my hands on it, I would go crazy! I refuse to feel guilt about eating treats anymore, because I know it will lead to a horrible cycle. Once again, THANK YOU for being so candid. Oh, and those cookies are adorable :)

17 Menden (Skinny Menny) May 15, 2009

First off, those cupcake cookies are the cutest darn things I’ve ever seen!

Secondly – thanks for sharing your words of encouragement with the rest of us! I really agree with your message…I’m also someone who struggles with feeling that my ideal of “perfection” is the ultimate goal. But I’m learning that my journey to being the best version of myself is so much more important (and attainable!) Have a great day :)

18 brandi May 15, 2009

great q&a – i didn’t have any issues with my eating until I started “dieting” either. strange, huh?

i love those cookies! they are so cute

19 Red Head, Yellow Dog May 15, 2009

those cupcake cookies are RIDICULOUSLY cute! you did such a great job!

20 Elisabeth May 15, 2009

I love the cookies! I’ll definitely be contacting you for wedding favors when the time comes!

I’m getting ready to post my update on your granola bars (a la dehydrator)! Get excited! =) I’ll email you the link to my post in a bit…

21 Katharina May 15, 2009

I have those same cookie cutters! Those cookies are so cute. They remind me of something my friend’s mother would make, and she’s the Martha Stewart of Richmond!

22 Chloe May 15, 2009

those cookies are beautiful!

23 rhodeygirl May 15, 2009

happy belated birthday!!!!

also, just have to say that even though i rarely comment i totally love your blog.

HAD to comment today because THOSE ARE THE MOST GORGEOUS COOKIES I HAVE EVER SEEN! LOVE THEM!

24 Jessica May 15, 2009

The cookies are sooooooooooo cute!! I am impressed!

25 Kari @ Running, living, eating, learning May 16, 2009

ahahaha I love how you casually note “(saw a bee)” regarding your fastest pace. Between bees and snakes your runs/hikes are quite exciting :D

Also, thanks for posting the email and your reply…sometimes reading your comments/posts is like seeing my “rational” side in print, and it’s always helpful!

26 Fitzalan May 18, 2009

That was a wonderful email…There are parts in there that I feel I could have written myself. it is comforting to see that you aren’t alone in your journey.

Happiness Awaits