Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

fitness thumb24   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

untitled thumb5   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

Imagine this:

I am having a wonderful hike over my lunch break today. Soaking in the nice weather and enjoying the sites. I am working on ideas for OSG and Glo Bakery as I walk and listen to my Shuffle.

I see some beautiful waterfalls and then head back on my route.

What happened at mile 3.5 you ask?

SNAKE!!!!!!!!!

snakeingoldenrod thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

[Note: Not actual picture!]

I saw a HUGE garden snake. Only 5 feet in front of me was the biggest garden snake I have ever seen- it must have been 2 feet long! I yelped, turned around, and ran.

I said to myself NO WAY AM I GOING BACK THERE.

And I ran in the opposite direction. And then it hit me. That was my EXIT. I had to go back and face my fear.

What does this snake think it’s doing anyways? I thought angrily. Doesn’t it know that this is CANADA?! We could have 2 feet of snow tomorrow for all it knows!

I knew what had to be done.

I turned around and decided to go through the snake infested war zone. I turned off my music and ran like hell. I ran so fast I don’t think my feet hit the ground. And I didn’t stop until I was out of the danger zone.

Sometimes you HAVE to run even though you don’t plan on it. :)

I only wish I had brought my camera. Although I probably wouldn’t have had the guts to take a picture anyways!

The Hike:

• Duration: 1 hour 11 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 145 bpm (SNAKE!!)
  • Avg heart rate: 110 bpm
  • Distance: 4.67 miles
  • Average pace: 15:14 min/mile
  • Feel the burn: 311 kcals

Aside form the snake sighting it was a great hike and a fun example of cross training. :)

food thumb31   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

Breakfast was a green monster in a new Dollarstore Stemless Martini glass:

img 9902 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

img 9901 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

I also had a bowl of Nature’s Path Synergy Cereal + Soy Milk (not shown).

I packed a ground flax banana sandwich with me on my hike:

img 9906 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

img 9908 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

After all that excitement, I was starving for lunch when I got home.

I came up with a delicious open faced sandwich, I’d like to call:

Hold The Chips Dill Pickle Sandwich

img 9918 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

img 9915 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

Ingredients:

• 3 sprigs of fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
  • black pepper
  • balsamic vinaigrette
  • 1 cup mashed lima beans (1 cup lima beans has 11 grams of protein and 10 grams of fibre)
  • 2 pieces whole wheat toast
  • on 1 piece only I had tomato paste for cancer fighting lycopene boost!

This combination of ingredients was wonderful! The sandwich tasted just like a bag of dill pickle chips. I’m not even joking! I used to be obsessed with dill pickle chips when I was young so I was pleased to find a healthy alternative. :)

With my new favourite tea mug:

img 9920 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

Some large cantaloupe slices with a side of Sketchie:

img 9916 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

Some dill pickle ‘chips’ on the side, drizzled with some white vinegar:

img 9919 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

img 9917 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

And for dessert: Two of my mini vegan banana walnut cake balls:

img 9923 thumb   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

I can’t get over how warm it is today! Just awesome spring weather we are having. I might have to bring the laptop outside and get a bit more sun while I work.

This morning I finished my up and coming interview with a health website and I also completed the price list for BG GB. This afternoon is studying for my food handler certification and organizing my orders this week.

See you tonight for a recap of this morning’s post, the BBBC for the day, and my first planned dinner!

Today’s question: What is the scariest or most exciting animal you have ever encountered while outdoors??

I must say I am a huge chicken with strange animals/insects even though I spent a few years living in Florida. We used to have alligators in our back yard!

angela signature thumb72   Fight Or Flight? How About RUN!!!

TanyaS April 27, 2009

My heart stopping exercise moment happened on a bike ride. I was cruising along a back road that had swamp on either side. I was just thinking to myself “This is kinda the type of area they find bodies in” when I heard a strange splashing noise.

My heart leapt into my throat and it took a moment for me to focus and realize it was just a group of beavers in the swamp. I’m not sure who was more scared – them or me!

girlrunningaround April 27, 2009

Snakes freak me out too! I found two in our back yard this weekend. And one almost slithered right across my foot. I screamed like a little girl until my hubby came running. LOL!

Run Sarah April 27, 2009

That is terrifying…I can’t stand snakes!! I haven’t encountered too many scary animals outdoors, besides a pack of raccoons while walking back from the campus lirary one night.

Marissa April 27, 2009

EEK!! I am not a fan of snakes!

(Dine Out, Fight AIDS. April 30th. http://www.diningoutforlife.com)

brandi April 27, 2009

Ah! I would have done the same thing :)

I almost got bit by a snake at camp one year, and I booked it out of there!

Kris April 27, 2009

lmao!

Anne P April 27, 2009

LOL, that’s hilarious. I would totally have done the same thing! I remember when I studied abroad in Australia, we saw a spider bigger than my hand on our tent one night. That was fun.

Betsy April 27, 2009

Oh I’ve seen many a snake down by the river in my hometown. One time, though, we thought we found a dead body because we saw bare feet sticking out from under a blanket (which was terrifying), but it turned out to be 2 teenagers engaging in some illicit activities. And it was November, and cold! So weird.

Bronwyn April 27, 2009

I had an outdoor summer job, and one time there was a mamma bear and three cubs maybe ten meters away from me. I just backed up and made sure they went in a direction that wouldn’t hurt any fellow workers. After the initial, ah! bear too close! it was more just cool than anything.

I’ve run into a few snakes on runs and bike rides as well… Thank goodness they slither away quickly.

Chelsea April 27, 2009

I was chased off a sidewalk by an alligator once…

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 27, 2009

Ooooh my goosh!!I would have freaked if I saw that SNAKE!
When hiking up in Tobermory last summer Steve was begging to see a snake…. I couldn’t stay far enough away, I was dreading coming along one!

Ps- for the record… each time I tried to type snake… I typed snack instead…

lol…foodie much?? ;)

Heather April 27, 2009

YIKES! The outdoors are so nice to enjoy for some exercise, but I think we tend to forget all of the creepy creatures who are joining us! ;)

What was all on the banana-flax sandwich? Is that almond butter as well? Looks delicious!

That recipe for the sandwich looks amazing! I’m totally borrowing it to try for myself :D

jess April 27, 2009

I’m terrified of pretty much anything that is not a pet. I freaked out by a little wobbling duck in front of me. On the second date with my boyfriend we were on a walk and there was a deer in front of us and he kept on walking towards it. I about had a panic attack and grabbed his hand pulled him back begging him not to walk that way. I haven’t lived that down. And now: the other day I saw a pack of like 10 wild turkeys wondering through the neighborhood. I don’t know what to do!

Lindsay April 27, 2009

My heart rate would have jumped up that high too! I’m beyond terrified of spiders, so when I was getting the lawn mower out of the shed today I refused to look up at the ceiling. It was the first time I’ve mowed the lawn this season (and the first time I’ve been back in the shed), so I’m sure there were some BIG spiders up by the roof. All I could picture was one falling on my face when I looked up!!

nicole April 27, 2009

oh my goodness! The same thing happened to me yesterday on my run! A snake was about to cross my path on the road I was running on. I hightailed it outta there! That thing was really long too. I’m not up on my snakes but it was all black so I guess it means it wasn’t poisonous. But I was still freaked out!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 27, 2009

AAAAAH SNAAAAAAAAKE

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 27, 2009

I can’t stand running into snakes on hikes either! Way to be brave.

Kate April 27, 2009

Once I was walking my dog at the park and a group of deer leaped in front of us and kept going into the woods. Which would have been fine but my dog took off after them! My heart rate probably looked like yours- she was dragging me through the woods after these deer as I was struggling to keep up and trying to dodge branches and trees! Quite the change of pace from our normal, leisurely walks!

Krista April 27, 2009

Spiders. I hate spiders and last time we were in Italy we decided to go for a hike…much like yourself. We stopped for a rest break and started to actually LOOK around and we were surrounded by the biggest, grossest spiders EVER. Still gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!

tj April 27, 2009

While bike riding on a trail that was very bumpy and dusty we came across a snake adn I didnt know which way to ride and I was a little shaky. I picked my feet up as I went by him so he couldnt jump up and bite my feet. lol I almost ran him over!

Once on a hike we got the evil eye of a very protective mother deer. I felt bad for her she went nuts that we were walking by her babies. I thought she was going to charge us. YIKES!

:) love the outdoors! lol

Erin April 27, 2009

OMG, I love your story and heart rate chart to confirm!

I almost stepped on a baby copperhead last year. I’ve nearly walked on numerous black water snakes. They’ll bite yo ass, quick as lightening too. Saw a black bear about 1/4 mile from a trail head up in Whistler. I was so panicked the whole hike I couldn’t even enjoy the mountains.

BethAnn April 27, 2009

haha very cute heart rate chart…i walk my dog in the national forest in flagstaff, az and once we ran into a coyote…i was scared out of my mind and was ready to use his leash as a whip (we walk him off the leash) and he ran after the coyote and it actually sprinted off. i almost had a heart attack!

Sally April 27, 2009

Oh, sorry for the scary encounter with the snake!

bobbi April 28, 2009

Hey ANGELA! just want to let you know that I am catching up on all mu bloggies and am here reading!!! Missed you!