The Cake Experiment: Part 4

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 21, 2009

IMG_9589

I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it.

Today was my fiirst day ever using fondant icing! And oh how fun it was.

I channeled my inner Bakerella and Pioneer Woman, and dove right in:

I used Wilton’s Fondant as well as a wonderful Wilton’s 12 pack gel icing colours:

IMG_9540

Gloves are necessary if you are a prissy princess like me. (That’s what hubby says anyways) :D

IMG_9543

Mixing some pink gel:

IMG_9544

Is it worth it, let me work it, I flip my thing down…ok, I really don’t know the words to that song!

IMG_9545

It simply wasn’t pink enough. I like pink. I need more pink. Deeper pink please!

IMG_9547

So soft and pretty. I love fondant.

IMG_9548

Just your average UFO crop:

IMG_9549

Once you have cut the circle (the same diameter as the cupcake) you place it into your hand and twist. I wet the sides a bit so it would stick. You really need to do a couple to figure it out and see what works for you best!

IMG_9551

Voila! Mon petite cupcake!

Not perfect, but not bad for a first try!

IMG_9550

It is just begging to be decorated, no?

My second attempt on the left. I liked this one better.

IMG_9553

Now it was time to make my 1st rose. I was panicking on the inside.

IMG_9555

Try not to laugh too much.

IMG_9556 IMG_9558

What an awful looking rose.

I admit I cracked up when I saw this sad looking rose on the cupcake.

Folks, this is what we call a ‘Back to the GLO drawing board!’

So I went back to the PW/Bakerella post. And I re-examined her roses. They looked so perfect I wanted to vomit.

Back to the kitchen I went! Determined to create a better rose.

You see, the key, is creating a flat, convex, D-shaped squiggly thing. Not a round ‘worm’ shape, which was what I initially created.

IMG_9560

And here we go!

IMG_9562

I’m in love.

Utter, pink, rose-y love.

I did a happy dance. Followed by The Hammer. Ohhh ohh, oh, oh, ohhhh, oh, ohhh, oh, ohohohohoh STOP HAMMER TIME.

Oh no, I’m not finished. There is more!

After this rose, I felt like the sky was the limit. I felt weightless. Much like when I put my knee sleeves on yesterday.

Are you ready?

IMG_9571 IMG_9572 IMG_9574

Pastry cutters work amazing with fondant:

IMG_9567IMG_9566IMG_9578 IMG_9577

Yes that rose is a mammoth. Next time I would make it smaller. But hey, go big or go home!

Channeling my inner Glo Bakery colours:

IMG_9582 IMG_9585

Ta-Da!

IMG_9590

Pretty darn adorable, eh?

I think these would make the cutest wedding favours!

I also want to try regular cupcakes too.

And this is just the beginning. Oh yes, only the beginning. My next attempt will be Marzipan. Fondant’s healthy and expensive alternative.

Angela_Signature

Sarah Jayne April 21, 2009 at 1:32 pm

You are a bakin’, cup-cakin’, decoratin’ goddess!! They are BEAUTIFUL! SO, thank goodness I now know who to go to when I get married…it’s a no brainer!

Julie April 21, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Just to let you know that you can make marzipan yourself. Marzipan is waaay big in Denmark, especially at christmas time! To make marzipan simply boil some water and pour it over almonds, let it stand for a few minutes, and remove the skin of the almonds (you can kinda pop them out of their skin). Grind the almonds until you reach a crumbly consistency, add glucose syrup or agave (i use agave) and grind until the right texture is reached. Voila! Homemade marzipan. At least the right stuff, I don’t know if there is artifical things in CAN marzipan.

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 21, 2009 at 1:36 pm

So gourmet! Have you seen the posts Pioneer Woman did on decorating cupcakes? Yours are so cute. I want them. Right now.

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 21, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Haha, stupid Wiggs. I missed the part where you SAID YOU READ IT ON PIONEER WOMAN. Good lord. I need to get more sleep.

Ashley April 21, 2009 at 1:41 pm

your flowers are so pretty!

There are much better tasting fondants out there than Wilton and more cost effective as well (or you can make your own)

Brands I’ve used include:
-McCall’s (sold at their store and warehouse as well as online – some colours don’t turn out as well since they use a whitening agent)
-Mill Lane – tastes great, a little more expensive and I’ve read about problems with nuggets
-Satin Ice tastes okay but it’s awesome because it comes in a variety of colours. This saves the time of colouring the fondant especially for colours like black and red that require a lot of colouring to achieve

Have you checked out the Cakes Canada website? It’s a great Canadian resource for decorating with tonnes of amazing pictures and advice.

Are you planning to take any classes? I took an intro class with Bonnie Gordon and she was just phenomenal. I learned some much in that class!!

I got really into cake decorating for awhile – ashleyscakes.blogspot.com I haven’t had much time to make cakes lately – but I can tell you that it’s a very addicting hobby!!

Heather April 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Gosh, these are so darn adorable! And they look so fun to create! Those would be PERFECT at a wedding or even a baby shower.

Run sarah April 21, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Those look amazing!! I only hope my wedding cake roses look half as good.

Liz April 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I love all your creations. Those are so darn cute… keep up the good work

Diana April 21, 2009 at 1:56 pm

These are soooo cute! Good Job!
Diana

MaryBe April 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I heart the Pioneer Woman and Bakerella…and you sure are a quick study! You really caught on fast. Those look delectable

brandi April 21, 2009 at 2:11 pm

beautiful! I love the tutorial and the image of you doing the McHammer – ha :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 21, 2009 at 2:21 pm

These are TOTALLY going on cute food saturday!!!!!

amy (veganissexy) April 21, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Ooooh so cute! Yes, my hubby says I’m a pretty pretty prissy princess too :) I tell him it certaintly beats the alternative! I love being a pink obsessed, high heel wearing, lip gloss loving girly girl. High five sista :) Moving on…..I think you are doing fabulous with the baking experiments! I wish I could be a taste tester! Anything that comes in small pink frosted forms I’m all over! BTW….I totally have that Missy Elliot song stuck in my head now. Love it :)

Lesley April 21, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Those are so cute, Angela! : ) You’re very talented!

Priyanka April 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Those are so cute, You are a Baking Goddess!That really is talent!

Vanessa April 21, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Wow, those are so cute, I’m impressed !

Julie April 21, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Those cupcakes look AMAZING :) I’m SO excited for you!!

carolinebee April 21, 2009 at 2:46 pm

omg ang you are master!! My dad’s FAVE candy/dessert/treat in ALLL the world is marzipan- my grandma brought it to us every christmas from spain, it is sooo rich and amazing!

AlliJag April 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm

You are so darn creative! Nicely done!

Bec April 21, 2009 at 2:50 pm

great job, they look amazing!

Laura April 21, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Cute decorations!

Cynthia (Healthy Hollywood) April 21, 2009 at 3:02 pm

So creative!!! You’re definitely a natural baker! :)

Susan April 21, 2009 at 3:26 pm

That’s not food, that’s art!!! I’d feel guilty eating it! :P

Amie April 21, 2009 at 3:48 pm

These are gorgeous! You did a great job :) I would def use them as wedding favors if I wasn’t already married ;)

healthy ashley April 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

The fondant looks like so much fun! You did a great job. The finished products are just gorgeous! And they look so yummy!!

Shelby April 21, 2009 at 4:48 pm

SO PRETTY!!!

Libby April 21, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Love how the cupcakes turned out – just gorgeous. You must be one VERY patient lady.

Libby

justine April 21, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I have been looking into making a guitar shaped Hannah Montana cake for my little ones b-day coming up soon. I was thinking of trying to use a little fondant for some of the decorations. Where did you buy that kit if you dont mind me asking?

~Justine

Maggie April 21, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Almost too pretty to eat :)

Michelle Hisae April 21, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Those are so cute!

BethAnn April 21, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Angela those are adorable! If I were getting married you would totally be my go to girl! Do you have any ideas for graduation stuff?

Briana April 21, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Even though I have to admit your first rose made me laugh, the finished product looks great!

ari April 21, 2009 at 9:19 pm

those are freaking adorable!

ttfn300 April 21, 2009 at 9:35 pm

wow, awesome job!!

AGS April 21, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Amazing! And amazingly more creative than my day (though my day *was* productive. ;)

A thought on marzipan. One of the best cakes I’ve had (and this was about 4 years ago, so you can see it was memorable), was a simple butter cake purchased from Watergate Pastry (yes, as in the place that took down Nixon). It was covered in toasted sliced almonds, but the best part of the thin layer of marzipan they had “hidden” beneath the light cream frosting.

OK, so basically, I have happy memories of marzipan, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Hangry Pants April 21, 2009 at 10:34 pm

They are adorable!!!!

Kris April 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm

OMG…AWESOME!!!! Can I order these for my upcoming order for you know who???

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 22, 2009 at 2:35 am

They look GREAT! Love them.

Hilary April 25, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Angela, I just saw your cupcake bites featured over on Mara’s site and I have to compliment you on how exquisitely adorable they are! Amazing job!

Mizz Independent May 5, 2009 at 3:18 pm

These are so cute!

Jenn June 11, 2009 at 10:04 am

Great job. I’m craving cupcakes now and it’s only 10 am.

Shannon Leger January 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Hey Angela-don’t you love working with fondant?! I LOVE it! Brings out my inner child :). Did you know there’s a much tastier and cost effective alternative? MMF (marshmallow fondant) that you can make yourself. I have never made it but am thinking of trying some this week….would be great for me to find a cost effective alternative as I go through ALOT in my bakery!