Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

img 9467 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

I’m really sorry to do this to you on a Monday morning, but I just couldn’t help myself. Just look at these gooey wonders!

food thumb26   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

Healthier Peanut Butter Cups: Take 1

It is now my quest to create a healthier peanut butter cup. We’ve all drooled over the Reese Cups before, but what about trying to create a healthier version using more natural ingredients?

Well this is exactly what I attempted to try yesterday.

It was just me, my molds, some chocolate, and peanuts in the kitchen.

No recipe, no pre-meditated ideas, nadda. Just a little experiment in the kitchen.

And here is what I did.

Step 1: Fill the mold 1/3 of the way with only the best dark chocolate (melted) you can get your hands on. I used 70% cooca for maximum antioxidant power.

Step 2: In a blender, process 1/4 cup raw peanuts, 1 T agave, and 1 t powdered sugar. Place about 1-1.5 t of peanut mix onto chocolate.

img 9429 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

Step 3: Cover with more melted dark chocolate. Smooth spoon or finger over chocolate to spread to all sides and obtain a smooth finish.

img 9432 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

Step 4: Harden in the freezer for 5-10 mins and pop out.

Ta-da!

img 9436 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

I made 2 vegan cups using carob chips and two non-vegan using the dark chocolate.

img 9463 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups img 9466 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

After melting for 10 seconds on high:

img 9516 thumb   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

The verdict?

I enjoyed my first attempt at making a healthier peanut butter cup! I wasn’t sold on this peanut + agave combination though. Don’t get me wrong it was good, but I have other plans for attempt #2. I am also going to create smaller cups next time. These were a good replica size but they were a bit too big for me. Suspiciously, I could not find the ingredient list anywhere on the Reese website! If anyone can find it for me, please direct it my way. My guess is that there are additives in the cups.

Update: Here is the ingredient list off the bag: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, corn syrup solids, soy lecithin, PGPR, emulsifier), peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, TBHQ (preservative)

Thanks Jen!

Stay tuned for more experiments as always!

untitled51 thumb14   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

Day 25 (April 20): Do the popular pilates core workout called The Hundred. See this description for details!

img 9484 thumb2   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups img 9483 thumb2   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

Try to do three 60-second sets! I love these. You can modify them in many ways by raising or lowering your legs, bending your knees, or resting your head on the ground.

I did some of these last night, including more planks and side planks. It is amazing the difference I am seeing in my core from just 25 days! I can’t wait until June 1st. :)

Ok, back to work! See you this afternoon for my workout, knee sleeve review, and some interesting health research.

Don’t forget to leave a comment in this post to enter my Maybelline Stiletto Lash Mascara giveaway! This stuff rocks my WORLD!

angela signature thumb51   Healthier Peanut Butter Cups

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

Martin Luther King Junior

brandi April 20, 2009

the pb cups look amazing!

Erica April 20, 2009

These look gorgeous! I can’t wait to try the recipe once you think you have it jussssssst right! My husband is a huge fan of PB cups ;)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 20, 2009

Looks great!

Eric is going to start missing you with all the time you are spending in the kitchen hehe!

haya April 20, 2009

cool experiment!

what did you think of the texture of your peanut mix? (it’s obviously not super smooth like the original cups)

Run Sarah April 20, 2009

I love doing the 100 with my ab workouts, it’s an awesome workout! Those pb cups look amazing.

Oh She Glows April 20, 2009

Haya- I purposely went for a crunchier texture this time around because I LOVE crunchy PB! Next time I may try and make it smooth :)

Red Head, Yellow Dog April 20, 2009

you’re a cruel cruel woman!! those look absolutely delicious!

Help Meghan Run April 20, 2009

Wow! You have inspired me to try making these myself. :)

Check out my blog as I run with Team in Training and raise money for blood cancers!
www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 20, 2009

AMAZING!!!! I might try them myself too… I would try some honey or maple syrup instead of agave.

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 20, 2009

Great Scot, those look incred. I think you and I have a Vulcan mind-link going on – I had the idea of doing something similar (processing peanuts instead of using peanut butter) but I probably wouldn’t have thought to use any sweetener besides sugar. I can’t WAIT until we get the food processor from our registry!! You know what would be even meaner of you? If you took some of your frozen cake crumbs and popped a layer of them underneath the peanut mixture. OR what if you filled them with homemade almond butter?! DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO ITTTTTTT!!!!

Colleen April 20, 2009

Try adding graham cracker crumbs to the peanut butter and it will make that yummy Reese’s texture, it also keeps them sweetened without adding too much sugar! :)

Michelle Hisae April 20, 2009

You work well on a whim! Those look so cute. Would it be easier to just use peanut butter, no agave added?

Jen April 20, 2009

I actually have some Reese’s in the house. Here is the ingredient list off the bag: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, corn syrup solids, soy lecithin, PGPR, emulsifier), peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, TBHQ (preservative)

I think I will need to make my own now because some of those ingredients sound pretty awful!!

Anneliese April 20, 2009

Hi Angela!
I have a suggestion: maybe you can add salt to the peanut mixture? I remember the inside of Reeses’ PB cups tastes distinctly sweet and salty.

VeggieGirl April 20, 2009

OH. MY. FREAKING. GOODNESS. EPITOME. OF. HOLY. YUM. DECADENCE. WHOA.

AGS April 20, 2009

Wow.

Truly, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Priyanka April 20, 2009

yay..Thanks for including the hundred in the BBBC! The hundred is a killer exercise for the abs..love it!

Those peanut buttercups looks so so good!

amy (veganissexy.com) April 20, 2009

Cute video! You guys are adorable. I’d have to say out of all of the things you’ve baked/made so far these would have to be my “have to have” top pick! I am totally obsessed with all things PB & chocolate! I haven’t had a real Reeses for years, but have attempted my own healthy cups without any successes. I can’t wait to see your final results! Have a great day gorgeous!

christina April 20, 2009

heres a copycat recipe for reese’s pb cups

Heather April 20, 2009

You make the BEST healthy treats! I love seeing all your delicious creations… thanks for sharing this one!

I have a question for you… do you eat mostly organic? If so, what do you think are the most important foods to eat organically. I eat about 90% organic and always get a bit weary about that last 10% of non-organic food. One of the main reasons I ask is because I use Quaker Old Fashioned oats for my oatmeal and was wondering how important it would be for Oats to be organic. Just thought I’d get your expert opinion ;)

Maggie April 20, 2009

I love the quote & the peanut butter cups are gorgeous!

Marya April 20, 2009

I probably didn’t need to see that. It’s good to have a healthy alternative when those cravings hit!

Shelby April 20, 2009

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Too much goodness in one post!!!

Sally April 20, 2009

Those peanut butter cups look better than reeses! Have fun experimenting!