19 Days to Run a 10K

mmhorcymk thumb1   19 Days to Run a 10K

I got official confirmation today that the race organizers changed my half marathon registration to the 10k race. Part of me was relieved and part of me was disappointed.

Prior to my injury back in January of this year, I was perhaps 1-2 weeks away from being fully ready to run a half. I was running better than I ever had and for the first time in my life I didn’t need to stop and take occasional walking breaks. My heart could finally handle the long distance running. This was a huge accomplishment for me seeing as when I first started running I couldn’t run more than 1 minute at a time.

But life happens and things don’t always go as planned…and that is OK!

I’m still here. I didn’t die from sadness or lack of activity or weight gain. Life goes on.

While it felt like a long time, in retrospect the 2 months was a mere blip on my radar of obstacles to overcome.

Seeing that I only started to run a few weeks ago, I decided that switching from the May 10th half marathon to the May 9th 10k race would be a reasonable option. This way I can still experience my first race, but not have the pressure of running a full half.

Which leads me to today and the realization that I have 19 days until the race!

I am going to do my best from now until then with my training without overdoing it of course. If I have to take it slow during the 10k that is fine by me. I am just happy to be back in the game.

My game plan right now is to keep increasing my overall running time and speed every couple of days. I hope that by doing so slowly, I will gradually build myself up to a 10k in 19 days.

Note that ‘total distance’ means PER workout.

For example, for this week my total distance per workout is 2 miles running logged. I hope to log 3 running miles per workout by this week’s end.

DATE START OF WEEK: GOAL BY WEEK’s END
Week of April 20th: Starting speed: 4.9mph; total distance: 2 miles (3.22k) Speed: 5.2mph; total distance: 3 miles (4.82k)
Week of April 27th Starting speed: 5.2mph; total distance: 3.2 miles (5.14k) Speed: 5.5mph; total distance: 4.5 miles (7.24k)
Week of May 4th Starting speed: 5.6 mph; total distance: 4.7 miles (7.56k) Speed: 6.0; total distance: 6.2 miles (10k)

Now the last week will be a bit tricky because the days leading up to a race should technically be a taper week. I am hoping to achieve my ‘goal by week’s end’ by Wednesday May 6th. Then I will take Thursday off and just run a very light mile or two on the day before the race.

If anyone has any suggestions on a training plan or any tips, please leave me a comment below!

I am also considering (depending on how my training goes) running the Niagara Wine Country Half Marathon on June 14th 2009. I will have to see how it goes! Hopefully the race doesn’t fill up because I don’t plan on registering until I know I am ready.

fixups thumb7   19 Days to Run a 10K

You may have noticed this new clickable image on my left sidebar:

img 8818copy thumb   19 Days to Run a 10K

Yes, I am loving Photoshop lately!

I have updated my Run page today (that is why tonight’s post is a bit late) because after reading it over again, I realized that it wasn’t totally clear. I want my injury + training to be beneficial for others, so in effort to do this, I decided to reformat it a bit!

When you click on the page you will see this (after scrolling down the page a bit):

Workout Log: Post Injury Recovery

Because eventually the body does heal and life goes on! =)

First workout post-injury: March 3rd, 2009: 35 mins. elliptical, resistance 10, incline 12 (A tough workout to start off with but man I felt great afterward!)

March 3rd-14th- I did non-impact exercise daily for about 40-45 mins. on the elliptical and stair mill. During this time I was preparing for a photoshoot, so I dove right into the exercise each day. However, because I stuck to non-impact exercises I was not sore at all. It was a great way to ease back into it. My first week of workouts were tough. During my injury I definitely lost endurance and muscle and when I ‘got back in the game’ I didn’t feel as fit as I did pre-injury. Such is life, though! After a week or two of exercise, my body already felt like it was bouncing back quickly (cardiovascular-wise anyways).

March 16th onward: Since my two-week pass at the gym expired, I decided to shift back to home workouts on my treadmill. I was nervous about doing impact exercise once again, so I took it really slow. I started off walking slowly at 2.5-3 mph. If I noticed any pain, I stopped. But generally I was fine. I always walk (and run) at an incline on the treadmill so I started at an incline of about 5%. Over the next couple weeks, I worked up to incline 12-15%. I told you I love my hill workouts!

April 1st onward: Around April 1st, I introduced running intervals into my hill walking workouts. At every 5 min. marker, I would run for 1 minute at speed 4.2 mph. I did this for several days and then I increased my speed to 4.3 mph and my running intervals from 60 seconds to 90 seconds. It is now April 6th and I am at speed 4.4 mph with 90 second running intervals. I am working out about 45 mins a day on the treadmill.

Another big part of my post-injury plan has been introducing core work! One part of my fitness that I neglected while training for my half marathon was my core strength. My sports medicine doctor told me that many running injuries happen because people are too weak in their core. Makes sense, right? Part of my goal for the Bikini Body Boot Camp is building back my muscle strength that I lost while in recovery.

April 8, 2009: Walk/Run intervals (Walk = 4.0 mph, Run – 4.5 mph, incline 7%) I ran 1 1/2 mins. at every 5 min interval. I also did 3 sets of pushups and some yoga poses. Duration 57 mins.

April 9, 2009: Walk/run intervals (walk = 4.0 mph; Run = 4.5 mph, incline 7%) I ran about 20 mins out of 53 mins. I also did some downward dog poses.

April 10, 2009: Walk/Run intervals (Walk = 4.0 mph, Run – 4.6 mph, incline 7%) I ran a total of 40 mins out of 62 mins. I also did pushups, downward dog, and wall sits. Duraton 62 mins.

April 11, 2009: Walk/run intervals (Walk = 4.0 mph, Run = 4.6 mph, incline 7%) I ran a total of 30 mins. I also did 2 downward dogs and 20 pushups. Duration: 45 mins.

April 12, 2009: OFF- Happy Easter!

April 13, 2009: Walk/run intervals (Walk = 4.0, Run = 4.7-4.9 mph, incline 7%) I ran a total of 30 mins. I did 3 1-minute planks (reg., left side, and right side). Duration = 47 mins.

April 14, 2009: Walk/Run intervals ( Walk = 4.1 mph, Run = 4.9 mph). I ran a total of 35 mins. (approximate). This was my first time running this long since pre-injury! I also did 3 sets of 20 tricep dips. Duration: 47 mins.

April 15, 2009: Walk/Run intervals (Walk = 4.1-4.2 mph, Run = 4.8 mph) I ran 2 out of 3 miles today on the treadmill. I also did 3 1-min. planks (reg., left side, right side)

April 16, 2009: My first run outdoors of the year! I warmed up on the treadmill/outdoors jogging (7 mins) then I ran for 39 mins. outside on gravel. I also did 3 sets of Wigg’s abs. Duration: 46 mins.

April 17, 2009: OFF day + 1.5 hours gardening

April 18, 2009: 2 mile run (4.8 mph, incline 7%) + 5 min walking cool-down (curation: 31 mins), plus 1.5 hours yardwork (raking, gardening, etc).

April 19, 2009: Cross training: Mountain biking 1 hour, various core exercises (The Hundred, side planks), 30 mins gardening

April 20, 2009: Walk/run intervals (walk = 4.1 mph; Run = 4.9 mph). I ran for a total of 22 mins, walk 18 mins, all at incline 7%. I also did 3 sets of pushups and 1 downward dog.

So as you can see on this Run page you can follow along my training progress as I train for my upcoming races this Spring!

You can also use the page to ask me questions about running as well.

I hope you will find this beneficial to follow along with. :D

Tonight’s Question: Are you running any races this Spring and Summer? If so, which ones, what distance, and what date? Is it your first race or have you run many races?

On that note, I am off to do some core exercises (The Hundred, anyone?) and some yoga while watching TV. Eric and I recently started watching The Mentalist, anyone seen it? I love it!

Note: Being the amazing Windows Live Blogger that I am, I just somehow saved this post over my Run page. GAH! Working on it now…

Have a lovely evening!

angela signature thumb54   19 Days to Run a 10K

gina (fitnessista) April 20, 2009

how exciting you’re going to do your first 10k– it’s my favorite distance :D
good luck with all of your training!
have a great night!

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 20, 2009

You already know this, but I’m running my first half-marathon this June. In fact, it’s the longest race over a 5k that I’ve ever run. What’s starting to worry me is that my “short” runs are getting to be longer than my old long runs…I keep worrying I’m going to burn out. But reading stories like yours and being close to people for whom mobility is difficult has been inspiring – I never forget to be thankful that I can run at all!

Run Sarah April 20, 2009

Your plan sounds great – I am sure you will be ready in 19 days! I just ran my first 10km and am looking for a half marathon to run this summer, but it’s tricky with the wedding (the big one is the day after!) and honeymoon plans. My 10km race was the first time I ran that distance without stopping, I had taken 2-3 one min walk breaks on my previous runs.

Emily April 20, 2009

your first race – that’s so exciting! good luck with and enjoy your training! your outlook regarding those pesky obstacles is really great. i am the queen of “overdoing it”! and thats not a good thing!

Juli (Peanut Butter and Juli) April 20, 2009

You can do it! My only advice is to take it SLOW, stretch like never before and make sure you rest 2 times a week from running!

I’m excited for you!

Priyanka April 20, 2009

First race, that’s gotta be truly exciting. Good luck with the training!

Help Meghan Run April 20, 2009

I am running my first half marathon this fall. :) Good luck with your training!

Check out my blog as I run with Team in Training and raise money for blood cancers!
www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Lindsay April 20, 2009

How exciting! Good luck, you will do great! I love the hundred, I love everything pilates. I just got home from my regular class that has done amazing things to change my body over the last 3 months.

Crunchy Granola Girl April 20, 2009

Hi Angela! A few weeks ago I attended a running club meeting regarding marathon & half-marathon training. It was led by Danny and Becky Gough, both seasoned marathoners. One of the runners was in a similar situation to you- she was training for a distance race but had to take a few months off, setting her back on her schedule.

Danny and Becky advised her to look at the race as part of her training program and run right through it, rather than taper. Because you aren’t going to go out there and set a PR (for your injuries sake) I think this would work for you too! I hope that helps- here is the link to my post with more tips from the meeting: http://crunchygranolagirl.blogspot.com/2009/04/one-of-those-perfect-days.html

And YES I am running my first half-marathon in 13 days!!! Good luck with your training!

Dave April 20, 2009

Angela, You aren’t going to have any problem with this 10K – even with the injury you are cardiovascular fit. You workout’s albeit are fast walking/ jogging are done at a good intesity.
7% incline @ 5 mph is rather intense. No kidding – I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Before your injury you were smoking fast – you will do great!
Of course time is not the key right now anyway..

Jenn (eating bender) April 21, 2009

Ooh 19 days until May 9?! That’s my bday :) I am so excited for you. I think your outlook on the change from a half to a 10k is very healthy and optimistic.

I love all of your sidebar pictures!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 21, 2009

I wouldn’t worry about it either… like Dave said, your cardiovascular fitness is well up there.. so even if you do stop and walk, and take it a bit slower- it’s not like you’ll never finish! 10K is a great distance in my opinion… especially for a first race. I started thinking that for my first race a half marathon was a bit steep to be shooting for… I think it’s nice to build up to it ya know??? You doing all the core exercises lately will definitely help as well!

Lara (Thinspired) April 21, 2009

This is awesome, Angela. I think it is so wonderful that you are still setting this goal for yourself and seeing it thorugh. I am also training for a 10K, a day after you, on May 10! I am so nervous as it is my first race too. You’re going to do great! Can’t wait to read about your training more in the coming weeks.

haya (living and learning) April 21, 2009

your progress since injury is awesome!! god job.

this summer i am focusing on the half marathon. planning to run 3 over the course of the season to work on cutting down my time. #1 is coming up in under 5 weeks.
i am also really tempted to squeeze in a sprint triathlon, though my friend is trying to convince me to go olympic (which is twice as long). i haven’t decided yet, or even if at all.

races are super fun

k April 21, 2009

I’m also planning a 10K as I recover from an injury. A 10K (and this particular 10K) was my very first race ever, so I think it will be fun to go back and run this course again. As someone already mentioned, you probably don’t need a true taper for this. You’re probably fine to do a long run the weekend before the race and then a couple of shorter “get the legs moving” runs the week of the race.

Good Luck and have fun! (that just reminded me of Hal and Joanne Johnson’s Body Break sign off…stay fit and have fun!)

VeggieGirl April 21, 2009

GOOD LUCK TRAINING!!

Amy April 21, 2009

I’m a pretty seasoned runner… I’ve run 9 half marathons and 1 full.

A half training schedule is typically 16 weeks.

If I were you, I might pass on the June 21st Half. I would hate to see you get injured due to increasing your distance in a short amount of time.

Aim to add about 10% once a week, in a Long Slow Distance run… and add some speed/hills once a week to assist in building endurance.

I follow a 4 day a week training schedule that looks like this:

Tues: 5-6k tempo
Wed: Hills or speed
Thurs: 8-9k steady
Sun: LSD, this week is 18k… and my half is the last weekend of May

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer AT ALL…. I just don’t want to see you get injured!

I have NOOO doubts you’ll rock the 10k!

Check out the Running Room training schedules. They are amazing and TOTALLY prepare you for race day!

Christina April 21, 2009

You’ll do great on your 10k!

I just ran my first one a few weekends ago and I’m actually running another one on May 9th too! I’ve been slacking with my running though, I always need a destination when I run outside or I get so bored. Today I’m running to this chocolate store where I found out they sell a caramel chunk peanut butter! Haha, it’s sad peanut butter is my running motivation but whatever works right?

The Wine Country race looks so cool. I’d totally drive up there for it if I wasn’t getting back from my summer vacay the night before. Running in a winery sounds very scenic and sophisticated! You should definitely do the 10k there if you’re still not ready for the half marathon.

EL April 21, 2009

In the next 2 months I have a 10k, (Dreaded Druid Hills), Baltimore 10 miler, and the Women’s Classic 5k. I am also contemplating 2 marathons for the fall.

Jaime April 21, 2009

Funny, I just started randomly watching The Mentalist too. It’s a bit formulated, but he’s pretty dreamy. :)

brandi April 21, 2009

great plan! You will do great!

I am hoping to run my first 10K in June and *hopefully* a 1/2 in September.

I ran 3 5Ks last year, but those are it so far. I can’t wait for my next race!

Sophia April 21, 2009

great plan! sorry the half marathon didn’t work out, but I’m sure there is a reason for it…this 10k should prepare you well for the more challenging half marathon in the future! good luck in your training!

Michelle Hisae April 21, 2009

I’ve run many races in the past, from 3-milers to 5ks to 10ks. I’ve run the Camp Pendleton Mud Run 3 times, which is SO much fun! The whole course is a bunch of mud obstacles. People are pretty hardcore about it, too. Sadly, I wont be home for it this year, but I’m cheering my Dad on in spirit!

I’m now training for my very first half marathon – Boston’s Run to Remember! I’m so excited about it, and my training is going well. Only about 4 weeks to go!

Check out my latest training stats here: http://livewellbymichelle.com/2009/04/21/oh-right-im-training-for-a-half/

2013 at 4:09 pm April 25, 2013

Simply desire to say your article is as astounding.
The clearness to your post is simply cool and that i can think you are an expert on
this subject. Well with your permission allow me to
take hold of your feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post.
Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Fidel June 8, 2014

Great post – I appreciate the info.

weightlifting June 11, 2014

I have recently come across your website. Thanks for the great information!