Post-Injury Exercise Plan (PIEP): Take 2

food

Good morning!

For some reason I couldn’t sleep this morning! I was wide awake thinking about ideas for Oh She Glows fundraising contest (keep those ideas coming in!) and Glo Bakery. IMG_8376I was dreaming about what Glo bar I would make next. I have wanted to try out a raisin bar for a couple of reasons. 1) I love raisins and think they are a necessity in every diet, and 2) I think they are a great alternative to dates. Sometimes, people are not as gung ho about eating a ‘date bar’ as others, so I thought this would be a fun alternative for people to enjoy with very similar taste qualities.

And wouldn’t you know it I had great success using raisins??

I present to you Banana Raisin Glo Pops:

IMG_8370

I had almost as much fun making them as I did eating them! :)

IMG_8372

The Nutritional Stats:

raisin

Not too shabby! These will definitely be added to Glo Bakery!

fitness

Last night I was hard at work updating my ‘Run’ Page.

I decided that it would be a great idea to write about my injury and how I reintegrated into post-injury training.fffffff

Here is a snippet of what I wrote:

Monday Jan 19, 2009: OFF (pelvic injury)

My injury lasted for a solid 2 months where I was not able to do any form of exercise! I am currently exercising again, but I am sticking to non impact workouts and will gradually build up to running over time.

First workout post-injury:

March 3rd, 2009: 35 mins. elliptical, resistance 10, incline 12 (A tough workout but man I felt great afterward!)

March 3rd-14th– I did non-impact exercise daily for about 40-45 mins. on the elliptical and stair mill. During this time I was preparing for a photoshoot, so I dove right into the exercise each day. However, because I stuck to non-impact exercises I was not sore at all. It was a great way to ease back into it. My first week of workouts were tough. During my injury I definitely lost endurance and muscle and when I ‘got back in the game’ I didn’t feel as fit as I did pre-injury. Such is life, though! After a week or two of exercise, my body already felt like it was bouncing back quickly (cardiovascular-wise anyways).

March 16th onward: Since my two-week pass at the gym expired, I decided to shift back to home workouts on my treadmill. I was nervous about doing impact exercise once again, so I took it really slow. I started off walking slowly at 2.5-3 mph. If I noticed any pain, I stopped. But generally I was fine. I always walk (and run) at an incline on the treadmill so I started at an incline of about 5%. Over the next couple weeks, I worked up to incline 12-15%. I told you I love my hill workouts!

April 1st onward: Around April 1st, I introduced running intervals into my hill walking workouts. At every 5 min. marker, I would run for 1 minute at speed 4.2 mph. I did this for several days and then I increased my speed to 4.3 mph and my running intervals from 60 seconds to 90 seconds. It is now April 6th and I am at speed 4.4 mph with 90 second running intervals. I am working out about 45 mins a day on the treadmill.

Another big part of my post-injury plan has been introducing core work! One part of my fitness that I neglected while training for my half marathon was my core strength. My sports medicine doctor told me that many running injuries happen because people are too weak in their core. Makes sense, right? Part of my goal for the Bikini Body Boot Camp is building back my muscle strength that I lost while in recovery.”

I will continue to update this page with my daily workouts. Remember on the old OSG website I had my daily workouts on the right sidebar? Well, this will be similar only it will be all on one page for easy reference! :) I hope you will find this new feature useful!

Well, I have another order to pack and a Green Monster calling my name!

IMG_8356

Last night I figured out how to use Quick Books (for invoicing anyways). This morning, I need to do up my invoices as well as apply for a GST and PST number. Hopefully I can cross this off the list by noon!

Today’s Question: If you had NO fear of failing, and were guaranteed that you would be successful, what business venture would you get into? What company would you start up?

I think mine is quite obvious, but I still have lots of other ‘goals’ that I would love to do- get my certification in nutrition, write a book, write a cookbook, create wedding cakes.

What about you??

Angela_Signature

1 Haleigh April 7, 2009

What a fantastic idea for a new glo bar :) I love raisins

2 Angie April 7, 2009

Really enjoy your blog! I’m just getting into following food blogs and I came across yours. Thanks for sharing!

3 Leatitia April 7, 2009

Oh, I think this is my order? How exciting, woohoo!!

If I could start any business, I think I’ll do a mix of Dog day care / creating websites. :) I’ll be creating my first website (for someone else than me..) this week!

4 Christina April 7, 2009

Yum, those bars sounds good. What a great idea with doing lollipops!

I would LOVE to start an organic food market/gardening center. Me and my boyfriend are considering it but it’s hard to get over the risk factor!

5 VeggieGirl April 7, 2009

Looove the new pops!! :-)

I want to open a bakery.

6 brandi April 7, 2009

great idea with the raisin pops!

No chance of failing, huh? I would love to get into the field of health/food somehow. I don’t know what exactly that would be, but those are just the things I’m interested in and the things that make me happy :)

AND I would be yours and VeggieGirl’s official taste tester! ha :)

7 justine April 7, 2009

No failing. Hmmm….maybe I would open a high end woman’s clothing boutique.

~Justine

8 RunToFinish April 7, 2009

yeah for recovery!! those lollipops are neat!!

9 Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 7, 2009

Steve & I have discussed opening up a cafe when we move to Canada! We’d love to do it up North somewhere… like around Tobermory or something (bc we just love it up there!).

He says he could be a park ranger and I would make yummy & healthy food for people hehe!

10 Red Head, Yellow Dog April 7, 2009

My dream is for James and I to start a cafe where we sell sandwiches and baked goods and have books for sale. James would mainly run the shop and above the cafe I would have a cute little law office where my clients could come and meet with me and grab a coffee on their way out :) a girl can dream…

11 jess April 7, 2009

so many dreams, hard to pick one: a pilates studio, an event planning business, some sort of non-profit that teaches kids about health and nutrition, a movie studio. :-) fun to think about!

12 Colleen April 7, 2009

I would totally open a beading store where people could come in, pick from a vast array of beautiful beads, and make something (or order something to be made). Beading is one of my favorite hobbies and I even had the pleasure of making the jewelry for my sister-in-law’s wedding last year. :) Great question!

13 Wiggs (The Beholder) April 7, 2009

Now THERE’S a good question. I think I would probably start my own line of cosmetics and be a makeup artist. I’m sure my parents, who funded my $300,000 education in cognitive neuroscience, would LOVE that.

And I AM writing a book! But I guess it’s not as much of a leap of faith for me, because my family’s in the industry. You should write one, too! It’s fun!

14 Run Sarah April 7, 2009

Those Glo Pops are so cute – perfect healthy treat for kids.

15 Susan April 7, 2009

Ooh, I like the idea of raisin bars (although dates are still my fav!)

I don’t even have to think about that question. I would start up a coffee shop/deli downtown, one that also specialied in vegetarian sandwiches. I spent 5 years as a barista and espresso/coffee are passions of mine! And I’m just sick of going to delis where there’s only one veggie sandwich option, leaving out the meat gives you so much more room to be creative!

16 Danielle April 7, 2009

That is a good question. I don’t know :). But if I did have the chance, YOU, my dear, would by far be my role model. The bakery site looks wonderful and I’m sure it’ll be the most popular online bakery in no time. Hope you can handle all your successes ;).

P.S. Thanks for the running page, I definitely appreciate it!

17 Kayzilla April 7, 2009

mmm. Those pops look yummy.

As for the question? I would love to make children’s books for a living. Think: the ones with pictures. I would love to do that, I think I’d be able to translate complicated information into fun, simple stories with pictures, and nothing would please me more if I could be successful doing so and have my books loved by children! And then I’d take some of the profits, and turn it into a place where underprivilaged kids can go to get education in things they’re *interested* in.

Education is truely education when someone can follow what they’re interested in, instead of being forced to do this and that. It makes me sad to see many kids out there that might be interested in one subject, but have to take another in order to pass a grade or the school doesn’t offer that subject.

Maybe one day I’ll do that! :P Who knows, right? I’m still young, anything can happen.

18 Rose April 7, 2009

Genius idea, Angela! Fun to look at and eat :)

19 Diana April 7, 2009

I don’t know for sure what I would do in terms of a business! I have lots of ideas though! The new treats look great!
Diana

20 Kori (All Things B.) April 7, 2009

I would definitely start a restaurant with a sort of tapas theme where all the dishes are appetizers from different cuisines/cultures. I always order apps because I like the portion size and I like variety, so I think it would be fun!

21 amy (veganissexy) April 7, 2009

Oh those little pops are too cute! I think anything on a stick is more fun to eat :)
My answer to your question is easy! I am dying to open up a bridal boutique in my town. We live in a small city with no upscale bridal boutique, and are about 1.5 hours away from the nearest mall (with a crappy bridal shop). Ever since planning my own wedding, I’ve dreamt of opening up a chic, upscale, full service bridal boutique with a little coffee/tea area and runway in the middle for brides to see what they look like walking, and in different lights (natural/artificial/sunlight, etc.) How fun would that be! It’s something I’m fairly certain will happen in the future, but for now I’ve gotta put in my time at the fun 9-5, ugh ;)

22 Ashleyy April 7, 2009

I would open up a shelter for abandoned animals. I have always said if I won the lottery that 85% of the money would go to building a rehabilition shelter or an adoption centre for animals that aren’t well taken care of..

Also, I would go into making animal treats

YOU SHOULD TRY TO MAKE ANIMAL TREATS! I would totally order some from you! All animals should get the perfect and healthy treat ;)

23 Lauren April 7, 2009

Love the Glo bars, looks delish!

Hmm what Business… I have a few “dreams” I’d start my own invitations company, I love paper! I’d be a personal trainer, I think getting healthy has a lot to do with your emotions and personal back ground, so I wouldn’t just train, but counsel. And lastly I would have a cake shop! :)

Dreams… that I’d love to put into reality

24 jess April 7, 2009

I am loving this question – it’s so much fun to read everyone’s answers!

25 Shelby April 7, 2009

I want to open a vegan bakery! I can’t think of anything better than making sweets all day and seeing the smile on someone’s face when they recieve one.

26 Kerrie April 7, 2009

Congrats on the review! Very exciting!

Probiotics: ironically I just purchased some recommended by my doctor for my little guy (3 yrs old). He is battling a stomach flu for the second time in two weeks. Apparently new to the market it claims to be the only probiotic for children. The doc said the success has been really good for children. I will be sure to let you know how it works.

Business: I am torn between opening a daycare centre and opening a diabetic specialty store. A good friend and I have been talking about it, he is diabetic and I have gestational.

Great work Ange! Now I need to get a bread machine!! Now I need a Larabar with only 15 gms of sugar in order to be a diabetic snack .. :)

27 Whitney April 7, 2009

Hi! I love your blog and expect to frequent it during my daily surfing.

To answer your question, I would open “Paws N Pals Cafe” which would be a dog-friendly coffee shop that bakes/serves people and animal friendly treats. I’d envision it as a social place for (friendly!) dogs to go while their owners unwind….

Someday..

28 Marianne April 8, 2009

I would have a bakery, where I get to make all the desserts that my family raves about at holidays. Actually, my cousin’s wife is the one who thinks we should have a bakery/coffee shop where I get to bake all the lovely treats :D

I wouldn’t mind getting into cookbook writing, except it would mean I would have to measure & write down everything I add to dishes! Perhaps I can pursue that more once I’m done with my RD.