Homemade Raw Almond Butter

Gooood morning!

Did any of you suspect that I was going to make my first batch of homemade almond butter!?

The lovely Melissa suggested that I try making my own! I always wondered how it would turn out and hearing about her experience made me want to take the leap!

Homemade Raw Almond Butter

img 6202   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

Ingredients: 2 cups raw almonds

Directions: Place 2 cups of raw (or toasted) almonds into food processor. Process for about 15 mins. scraping sides frequently. 2 cups of Almonds makes about 1 jar or a bit less.

img 6192   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

The almonds will stick to the sides pretty much the entire process. Lots of stopping and scraping involved. Patience is key!

img 6193   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

Do I see some solidification!? :)

img 6196   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

I almost squeeled for joy when I saw this:

img 6199   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

After about 15 mins:

img 6201   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

Can you believe it was this easy!?

img 62021   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

Who hoo!!!

img 6203   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

In a container it went!

img 6206   Homemade Raw Almond Butter

I am so happy this was successful- and SO easy! It is foolproof. I didn’t even have to add any oil like I read I would have. I think patience is key. If you process it enough it will eventually get the right consistency without any added oil.

I am so happy that I have this now because it has been a couple weeks without any nut butter in our house! I had to stop buying it as a budget cut back. Goodbye Maranatha hello homemade goodness! :D

My next homemade experiment? Almond milk!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

” When forgiving others, you may actually be forgiving yourself. Therefore, forgive frequently.”
John Singh

Kate February 26, 2009

HOLY YUM. that is so awesome! makes me really want an almond butter n’ jelly sammie!

foodsthatfit February 26, 2009

Wow, that looks so simple. Makes me wonder why I am spending so much for it??? It would be easy to add in additional flavors too, I love vanilla almond butter!

yogurthoney February 26, 2009

I have to go for a bone density scan on Saturday. Do you know if this is the same thing? If so, were there any other side effects from the sketchy radiation injection??
Christina

sweetandnatural February 26, 2009

Beautiful!!! I just bought a tub of almonds so I could put some into my Maple Almond Butter Cookies. But I rarely eat nuts (I’m all about the butter!), so I was worried they’d get stale. Now I’m totally going to make almond butter with them!!!

Bec February 26, 2009

Wow what a great idea, I can’t wait to see how almond milk turns out!

Alina February 26, 2009

I am really excited for the almond milk as well. I have been wondering about homemade almond milk for a long time!

Good luck with your kitty – the same thing happened to my cat last year and he had every possible complication! Hopefully yours will be ok with a catheter and some special food.

AGS February 26, 2009

Would this work in a cuisinart blender, as well? I hope so!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 26, 2009

Oooh I can’t wait to try this!

Jacklynn February 26, 2009

that is so great! i need to try this! we also don’t buy it often due to the cost, but if i can make it on my own! can’t wait to try it!

brandi February 26, 2009

I’ve been wanting to try this, but I still have a few jars to finish :)

I hope you’re feeling better today!

Poor Sketchie – I hope everything is alright!

Hallie February 26, 2009

I tried to make almond butter one time and it was an EPIC fail. I don’t know what I did wrong. I blanched and peeled the almonds first (per the recipe…what a pain!) so maybe that was it. I processed and processed and processed and I got some gross almond paste. I’ll have to try it again, sans blanching.

Leah February 26, 2009

Looks so great!!!!!
I need to get myself a food processor lol.

Diana February 26, 2009

wow! the almond butter looks so yummy! i have to try this!

bobbi February 26, 2009

I so need to try this!

Megan February 26, 2009

That looks SO good…and so simple! Nothing like home made nut butter!
Enjoy your day, girl :)

Diana (soap & chocolate) February 26, 2009

Looks incredible! If only I had a food processor! :) I will have to wait for something like a wedding registry I think…haha

The Running Yogini February 26, 2009

Oh no! Poor Sketchie :-(…. I hope they figure things out. That’s pretty cool about the almond butter! I really need to get a food processor!!! I hope you feel better soon. I’ve had the sniffles for a while and I’m hoping they will go away already!

Kirwin February 26, 2009

Okay, I totally have to try this. You made it look so easy! I would love to do a price comparison for store-bought vs. homemade. Right now, I get mine at Trader Joe’s. Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle Hisae February 26, 2009

That looks DELICIOUS! I don’t have a food processor, unfortunately. My parents do at home, though, so I’ll look forward to making some when I take a trip home!

I woke up with a yucky headache this morning, so I know how you feel. ):

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 26, 2009

Yum! I really need to think about a food processor. I make mini batches of nut butter in my spice grinder :)

orangepop February 26, 2009

WOW!
Can I believe it was that easy? No!
Can I believe you are a GENIUS? Yes!
…you should save one of your old almond butter jars, wash it out & put it in that with a “GLO” label! oohh, yes…

RunToFinish February 26, 2009

poor sketchie, we went through a bunch with our kittie lately, not fun.

the almond butter looks great! I don’t have a food processor yet..but seems like i should

Aimee February 26, 2009

Awe our puppy sophie had to have that done months ago. She had vaginitis : (

Valerie February 26, 2009

Wow, I didn’t know making almond butter was that simple! It looks great!
Hope everything goes well with the car. I know how it is to be constantly having something checked out on it. Last year, tons of parts (major and minor) on mine seemed to hit the point where they needed replacing due to wear and tear – it IS 9 years old now so it’s done well… but come on, all at once?
Poor kittie.. good luck at the vet’s!

Allison February 26, 2009

That looks fabulous! Thanks for the “how-to”!

heather March 15, 2009

your almond butter looks perfect. Mine won’t turn out like that :( it’s really dry and weird…my almonds were in the freezer, so maybe that’s why. I’ve added oil and more oil (ended up being a lot) and still no good. :(

Ashleyy March 18, 2009

My Almond Butter turned out exactly like yours, eat it every day noton toast with banana… delicious!

Caleb June 9, 2009

WOW, I always wondered why my food processor never made nut butter well. I never let it run long enough. BUT, I now have a Vitamix and it does this in about 2-3 minutes :).

Jessica July 18, 2014

Do have to add oil with the vitamix? I just got a vitamix and I want to try it!

jessica June 26, 2009

oh dear.. this is a dangerous post… I am absolutely in love with almond butter right now. Mmmmm.

Jennie September 8, 2009

Hi Angela,

Do you soak your almonds before blending?

I don’t think I did but I believe it makes it easier to process them. ~A

Denise Punger February 5, 2010

I was going to ask if you soaked them before processing. I’d like to have my raw almonds activated. I suppose it should work well?

Mary January 3, 2010

Thanks for this description with all the pics. A small jar of almond butter just doubled in price at Whole Foods. I couldn’t get the consistency right processing almonds at home but your description helps a lot. I need the jar consistency for raw chocolate peppermint truffles (my favorite thing!). Check out my sister’s blog at http://www.taichibozeman.com/rawfood if you want the recipe.

Thanks again.
Mary

Ginny Wright January 17, 2010

I made some this morning. It took about 20 minutes of processing but it turned out perfect. I also added 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt. It is out of this world. So glad I ran across your recipe.

Pat January 26, 2010

I’ve made a couple of batches so far… I think the age of the almonds may make a difference. The first time was a great success… the second time I used bulk almonds from a warehouse store and I think they were not as fresh – I had to use oil and it took MUCH longer to get to the consistency I wanted. I love the taste of homemade almond butter! Thanks for this post!

Petrini February 25, 2010

What are you using for a food processor?

Mukto April 7, 2010

Melissa, thank you so much for this tip and the great pictures! I made the almond butter in a very simple Black & Decker food processor and it took only 7 minutes to get the right consistenc. Just had to use the spatula once. Great!!

Just 2 cups of dry almonds and nothing else, so simple.

Thanks again and it made me glow!!

Andrea May 13, 2010

try raw almond butter, a spoon full of coconut oil (cold press) 2 spoonfulls of carob powder, some agave nectar and stevia and sea salt.. then freeze.. makes amazing fudge.

Angela June 12, 2010

It’s also really good to soak the almonds overnight (or for 6 hours) to remove any mold and dust. Then drain the water (You won’t believe all the gunk that the almonds will expel!) and THEN make the almond butter.

Best~!
Angela

Tracy@BulkNuts.org June 19, 2010

Oh yes, that looks so very good. Nothing is better than home-made. You did a wonderful demonstration. Ever try warming a bit and drizzling it over your ice cream? Almost better s..

Kathryn July 7, 2010

I almost died for a minute with that last paragraph. I was trying to read really fast at work and I thought you said Eric was having accidents. I thought WOAH I can’t belive she posted that! Then I re-read!

Stacey September 26, 2010

My husband saw Marantha Almond Butter in the grocery store, and was interested until he saw that in addition to Almonds it also contains Cane Sugar, Palm Oil, Sea Salt. I just wanted almonds in my almond butter. Your recipe came up first when I googled almond butter. I no idea it was so easy. I had almonds. I have a food processor. Now 15 minutes later I have Almond Butter. Yummy! Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 212»