I am just glowing right now. Why you ask? Because I had a successful baking mission today!
I made my first ever batch of Homemade Organic Spelt Tortillas. :) They were easy, delicious, and economical. All of the ingredients cost me just $1.10 to make a batch of 8 soft spelt tortillas. Compare that to grocery store organic spelt tortillas at around $5 +!
Did I mention they were easy? I wanted to hit that Staples Button! lol.
Buck Ten Homemade Organic Spelt Tortillas
- 2 cups Spelt Flour (can also use whole wheat or white flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon half salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
1. Preheat a skillet on medium high heat. In a bowl, mix all ingredients well. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 20 minutes.
2. Divide into 8 equal parts and let sit, covered, another 20 minutes.
3. Roll each ball out to a 6- or 7-inch circle shape. I’ve found it helps to flatten each ball with your hand. Then take the rolling pin and roll from the center outwards, back and forth a few times as you go around the circle. When it starts to get thinner, take your left hand (if you’re right handed) and turn the tortilla a couple inches. Use your right hand to use the rolling pin (holding in the middle) and roll from the center outwards. Keep turning and rolling until it is paper thin.
4. Place a tortilla into the skillet and watch until bubbles form. This won’t take long.
5. After bubbles form, and the bottom is lightly brown (or there are darker spots), flip over, press down once or twice, and cook for about 30-45 seconds, or if smoke appears.
6. Cook remaining tortillas, watching carefully, and place on a plate, with wet paper towels in between them. Refrigerate for later or remove the paper towels and freeze.
These Spelt Tortillas only have 110 calories per tortilla! Amazing.
Mexican Veggie Wrap in an Organic Homemade Spelt Tortilla
After being inspired from Ashley’s delicious looking wrap, I knew I had to make a veggie wrap for lunch. I threw in the skillet whatever veggies I had on hand:
1/2 cup black beans
1 organic carrot
1/2 sweet white onion
1/2 orange pepper
freshly ground black pepper
Chop all veggies and put all ingredients into the skillet except for avocado and hummus. Heat on medium heat for 15 mins. or until tender.
This lunch was delicious!!!
I was just glowing after my successful attempt at making tortillas. :D I’ve had a kick in my step ever since. lol.
We are off to my Niece’s 1st birthday soon! Better go get ready!!
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived, are the moments when you have done things in a spirit of love.