Happy LOVE Day!

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

I thought I would start today off with posting the most amazing cupcakes that I have ever made!!! You will seriously want to make this recipe when you see these bad boys.

I actually wasn’t anticipating that these would turn out as delicious as they did. All I can say is I am lucky I only ate one of them last night!

I wasn’t planning on having any sweets last night, but how could I pass this up? I rest my case.

Angie’s Famous Strawberry Cupcakes

This recipe was adapted from Good Things Catered

img 5587   Happy LOVE Day!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 c. cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. chopped strawberries (I only had 1 cup defrosted + drained strawberries, not ideal but worked out!)

Strawberry Icing

1/4 c. strawberries
1 Tbsp. strawberry liquor
1/2 tsp lemon juice
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp vanilla

I actually decided to make my own icing as I didn’t have cream cheese. I used a classic buttercream recipe:

Pink Buttercream Icing

3 cup icing sugar
1/2 stick butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 cupcake pans.

2) Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until fluffy. Add buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. In a different bowl mix together or sift the dry ingredients.

3) Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined (I used level 1 on the mixer to achieve a ‘stir’)

4) Fold in berries

5) Evenly distribute batter into cupcake pans. Bake for 20 mins.

6) Icing: Mix softened butter and gradually add icing sugar. Add 2 tbsp. milk and almond extract. Mix until light, smooth, and fluffy.

img 5582   Happy LOVE Day!

7) Have fun decorating and enjoy!

img 5581   Happy LOVE Day!

img 5577   Happy LOVE Day!

One of these things is not like the other:

img 5583   Happy LOVE Day!

I made 18 cupcakes and then a mini cake :)

img 5589   Happy LOVE Day!

This was the boys tasting plate:

img 55871   Happy LOVE Day!

Lucky devils!

img 5588   Happy LOVE Day!

These were so darn good! A perfect V-Day treat. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My nighttime snacks included:

An orange:

img 5562   Happy LOVE Day!

And one cupcake (sans icing)

img 5578   Happy LOVE Day!

It’s all about moderation, right?

Well, I have lots to prepare for V-Day so I better get cracking! Eric and I might go on a very light hike at a nearby conservation. We are so lucky because we have about 5 conservation parks within 1-5 km from our house! The sun continues to shine so we better enjoy it. :)

I would like to take this moment to show my appreciation for my wonderful readers!!! It is really hard to believe that Oh She Glows was started only a short 3 1/2 months ago. The support and encouragement that you have given me has been nothing short of amazing.

So, THANK YOU so very much for taking the time out of your day to see what I am up to! :D I hope you will continue to visit Oh She Glows and find that it is a place where you can re energize, relax, and leave feeling a bit better about yourself than when you came.

One of my goals on this website is to show others that it is possible to overcome struggles with body image and self esteem and to achieve a balance and satisfaction with oneself.

Enjoy your day- I hope it is with loved one(s)!

See you later for more V-Day fun and some ‘AFTER’ family room pictures after painting the primer coats! You won’t believe the difference. :)

“Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being “in love” which any of us can convince ourselves we are.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.
- Captain Corelli’s Mandolin. “Love is the beauty of the soul.” –St. Augustine

GAHhhhhhhhhh….so romantic isn’t it? Gosh I am a sap for this stuff…;)

VeggieGirl February 14, 2009

Stunning treats!!

Love the quotes!!

HAPPY V-DAY!!

marafaye February 14, 2009

Lovely cupcakes!!!

Danielle February 14, 2009

Oh my gosh that quote gave me the chills! I guess I’m a romantic sap too ;)

Happy Valentine’s Day girlie, I L-O-V-E Oh She Glows!

jenngirl February 14, 2009

Those are such cute Valentine’s day treats! Great quotes, as usual :)

Anne P February 14, 2009

awww i love that quote, how sweet! :)

sweetandnatural February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine’s Day Angela!

Erin February 14, 2009

Happy Vday Angela! I just wanted to tell you I began my morning with a Green Monster and it was delish!

Hayley February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine’s! I hope you and Eric enjoy the gorgeous weather you’re having. Thank you for posting that recipe – it looks amazing! I too also love that quote – it’s tempting me to rent that movie tonight (I’ve never seen it)!

Speaking of, does anyone have any good recommendations for sappy/romantic movies? It’s pretty much the only time that the other half will let me pick a romantic one, so I’d better make it good! :)

The Healthy Hostess February 14, 2009

Happy V-day! The cupcakes look amazing! I can’t believe that today was the first day I commented on your blog because I have been reading it daily for months!!
:) Have fun today, the house looks great!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 14, 2009

Those cupcakes came out beautifully! I especially love the little cake with the V-day candy corn!

Colleen February 14, 2009

Your cupcakes (and black bean burgers!) look fabulous! I hope you have a very HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!

Amanda February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine’s Day! I’m glad you’re on the mend, and I hope you enjoy your hike! I love the candy corn heart on the big cupcake. :)

Marianne February 14, 2009

Pretty cupcakes!

Jen February 14, 2009

Those are SO lovely!!! :)

So Very Fabulous February 14, 2009

Everything looks super yummy, especially that cake with lots of icing!

Diana February 16, 2009

Oh yum – it’s all so pretty in pink! I like how yours have strawberries in them!

:) Diana

Ella Henderson November 21, 2009

Hi, do you eat what you bake? Like this strawberry cupcake. It looks yummy:)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 10, 2013

This recipe is not vegan…? I thought all the recipes on here were vegan…?
Maybe it can be veganized
(Not trying to be critical whiny reader though! gawd)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013

Hey Radhika,
This is a very fair question! I wrote this post before I became a vegan which is why not all of my recipes prior to mid-2009 are vegan. I hope this helps clarify! Thanks for reading.

Angela

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 11, 2013

^ Yea no worries, thanks for replying and that totally makes sense!
By the way I was omni almost my whole life, I was born and raised in LA and I grew up eating burgers and pepperoni pizza and barbecue meats and all that with the rest of the kids at school. Even at home it was stuff like tandoori chicken and lamb curry type of Indian dishes etc
Now I can’t believe I ate that stuff–poor lambs:(
Anyway, I turned vegetarian later in life, and then I only became vegan like a couple years ago, and it took me a while to transition over to being vegan, I kept falling off the wagon with cravings and like hiding in the back of my car and eating Cheetos and milk chocolate candy bars and feeling like the vegan police were gonna catch me, it was so ridiculous haha
I think I’ve pulled it together much more in the last fifteen months or so though, I really want to be vegan because I love animals so much and I don’t want to do anything that hurts them. I cook at home all the time now and blogs like yours with easy delicious vegan recipes have helped so so much!:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013

Thanks for your reply! No need to fear the vegan police here…I think this is a great community with lots of readers are various points in their journey. Try praising the individual choices you make each day, rather than focusing on a slip up here and there. All my best, Angela

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 11, 2013

As usual I wrote a book here!haha
Can’t shorten things or edit down to save my life:p
Have a good week:D