Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

Afternoon!

My day is going well. We are getting tons of prep work done for tonight! I think it is going to be a big hit. I did some Power Yoga inbetween prepping. It feels so good to be moving my body again (even though very slightly). I am slowly healing and feeling better. The only time my left leg hurts is when i lift my knee up and bend downwards (like putting on a sock). Slowly but surely I think it is getting better. It will still be a while before I feel safe enough to run though.

I did about 15-20 mins. of the Power Yoga. It was relaxing! :) I really enjoy Bryan’s approach. But man oh man, are the people in the video funny. Everyone is in tighty whiteys!!!!!!! But more on that later…LOL.

A warning before this post: This recipe is not for the faint of heart!!!

Oh She Glow’s Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

Recipe adapted from “Brownie Caramel Pecan Bars” from: Best-Loved Hershey’s Recipes

img 46401   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

Ingredients:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (if preferred)
  • 50 caramel pieces, unwrapped
  • 1 Tbsp. milk
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease cake pan and dust with flour. Set aside.

2. Combine sugar, butter, and water in a large sauce pan (do not use a frying pan like I did!). Cook over low heat stirring often until mixture boils. Remove from heat and immediately mix in 2 cup of chocolate chips. Stir like crazy until your arms feel like rubber. Beat in 4 eggs and vanilla. Stir, stir, stir! It will get easier. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well. Add flour mixture into chocolate mixture and stir. Spread batter into cake pan. Bake approx. 20 mins. Cake will start to crack and pull away at the sides.

3. While cake is baking, prepare caramel topping. Unwrap 40 (I used 50, but 40 would be enough) caramels. This is boring as heck, and I am open to other ideas if anyone knows any! ;) Microwave caramels, butter, and milk on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Return to microwave for 30 sec. intervals until smooth. Do not overcook.

4. Once cake is out of the oven, cool for a few mins. and place on wax paper for easy clean up. Spread on caramel topping all over. Immediately sprinkle 3/4 cup pecan pieces and 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top. Set for 1 hour.

img 4628   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4621   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4624   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4629   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4631   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4633   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 46361   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4637   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 46421   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

img 4668   Brownie Caramel Pecan Cake

I will be reviewing my thoughts (and my guests) on this brownie cake later! It sure looks delicious :D I think it will be a huge hit!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See you later for a recap of the dinner party!

People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don’t know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to.
~George Allen

jenngirl January 24, 2009

Glad you are enjoying yoga, hang in there with the leg, you are doing the right and healthy thing for you body! :)

WOWWW that cake looks super indulgent, I KNOW it will be a hit!!

VeggieGirl January 24, 2009

I GUESSED CORRECTLY!!!!! I said it’d be a caramel dessert :-D

I think you’ll like my new/current video post (regarding the yoga)

haya January 24, 2009

i hate unwrapping caramels! i made some chocolate cookies with caramel bits in them in november and it was awful. well the cookies were good, but not worth all the work (unwrapping and chopping those bad little boys). probably for this application, you could make your own liquid caramel with butter, brown sugar and heavy cream. the cake looks gorgeous though!

Nicole January 24, 2009

Uh, YUM! That looks so decadent!

kaneil January 24, 2009

WOW – that cake looks amazing!

Enjoy the yoga! I remember my older sister doing those same yoga videos in the late 90′s – he was hilarious then and still is today! :)

Jen January 24, 2009

Oh my gosh…I think I gained 5 lbs just looking at that cake! It looks heavenly – enjoy!

Sarah January 24, 2009

that pretty much looks amazing. first i still have to try your carrot cake. your desserts always look so good!

Amelia January 24, 2009

OMG that cake looks beyond decadent. Good luck with the dinner party!

Nicole January 24, 2009

Seriously, looks unbelievable!!! YUM!!

Deb January 24, 2009

Oh my that looks good. I am glad I am not the one eating it, I would fear I would eat the whole thing !!

allijag January 24, 2009

holy cow – that dessert looks so beautiful and decadent – I’m sure its going to be delicious!

Leah January 24, 2009

Looks fabulous!!

Hope you guys have fun tonight!

Lesley January 24, 2009

Glad it is getting easier to move around and be more active. I will soon be able to empathize as I am having knee surgery on my right knee this week. I don’t know how I’m going to handle not being able to workout!

And Yowsa! That cake looks A.Mazining! Can’t wait to hear how it tastes!

danser81 January 24, 2009

Wow, that looks amazing, I am adding that to my must try recipes!

Dave January 24, 2009

OMG,
Now we’re talking sister, that looks great!
Jus put my piece on the plate and I’ll be over in a couple…

dailygoods January 24, 2009

wow that looks to die for ! what a baker you are! save me a slice :)

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) January 24, 2009

genius cake! how could that not be amazing?

Kris January 24, 2009

yummmmmmmmmmmmy!

Now I am really sad I am missing out!

Call me!

nicole January 25, 2009

That cake looks AWESOME!

They do make unwrapped caramel bits. I bought them over the holiday season. I think that they are from Kraft but I could be wrong.

Julie January 25, 2009

Hi Angela,

Julie from Denmark here! I’m really enjoying your blog!

Just some comments, as I am THE biggest health freak. First a little something about myself:
22 years old, I don’t eat any sugar, pure or added (including syrups, molasses etc.), artificial sweetners, gluten (only once in a while as I like pasta), white flour, white rice (only brown), sweetened juice, prepackaged food or dairy (once in a while, maybe once a month). I just enjoy loads of veggies, chicken, fruit, brown rice, lentils etc., and make EVERYTHING from scratch. Ever since I took out sugars, dairy and white flour/rice from my diet I’ve had so much energy you won’t believe it! I study to become a civilsengineer in Biotechnology, finishing on jan. 2010, while working approx. full-time, which results in a minimum 70 hour work week. I played on the Danish National Team in Squash until 2006 where a shoulder injury ruined my career for good, but now I do yoga and run, in total 6 times a week (one day off).

I would so love to send you some recipes for more whole, nutritional food, if you are interested?! Right now the recipes I make the most are broccolisalad w/ tomatoes, salad with cauliflower and red onions, sweet potatoes with grapes, homemade Italian pasta sauce and loads more! I make my own almond milk, which I sweeten with dates, awoiding any added sugar og artificial sweeteners. Actually, almond/hazelnut mylk sweetened with dates is my favourite. Hazelnut-butter and almond-butter I also make myself, and it is soooo easy! I have recipes for cakes without any added sugar, but that tastes like a million!

That was a lot about me and my food :-S

Now for my other comment:
I saw pictures of you doing yoga, and discovered that when you do the downward facing dog, you could really benefit from melting down in your upper back, pulling your chest back and down towards the mat, so that you resemble an inverted V – it’s better for your back, and you get a better stretch in your legs. Hope that you can use the comment…

But email me if you would like some recipes and exchange of nutritional and exercise experiences across continents :-)

Have a wonderful day!

Cheers,

Julie

marafaye January 25, 2009

Ok, we’re in a fight now.
You cannot make something like turtle brownie cake and NOT SEND ME SOME!!!!!!!!!

sarahannmatheny January 25, 2009

I think that is the most delicious looking cake I have ever seen. I have to come up with an excuse to make it!!! Maybe Happy January 25th???

Marianne January 26, 2009

That looks awesome! Unwrapping all those caramels sure is a pain though.

Alicia October 23, 2010

I made this cake this evening – O-M-G! Though I’m wondering if I did something wrong, cause my cake took 40 minutes to cook…Maybe a different size pan??? Anyway, THANK YOU for sharing! YUMMY!

Mandi October 23, 2012

Hi, Angela!

I just love your blog!! This cake looks incredible – have you ever tried to “veganize” it? :) Sure would love to try that!!

StephanieNicole November 2, 2012

Hey Angela,
Looks delicious! Did you make it as is or create a vegan alternative?
Love your site!
Stephanie

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2012

I havent yet, but I totally should :)

Kim McMillan March 15, 2014

This looks amazing, but I’m confused; isn’t this a vegan blog?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2014

Hi Kim, This post was written before I went vegan. Hope this helps!

Kim McMillan March 15, 2014

I see :) I love your blog! I am not a vegan, but I love vegan recipes! I also love non-vegan recipes though :)

Thanks for clarifying.