Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

Good morning everyone!

I am so excited! This morning was my first morning getting out of bed pain free!!! I hope this is true, but I really feel like my body is doing an awesome job healing itself. Each day feels so much better. I even did some light stretching this morning. That felt really good. It must be all that wonderful food I am eating! Speaking of which….

Last night I set out to make super duper healing power muffins.

These muffins aren’t for the faint of heart.

I call them a power breakfast muffin because they pack a huge, and I mean huge, nutritional punch, giving you a great start to the day.

img 4264   Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

With Earth Balance oozing off the side:

img 42821   Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

Eric’s muffin with chocolate chips:

img 4284   Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

These are not your typical sugar-laden muffins! That is why I think they are the perfect breakfast muffin, because who really wants something super sweet in the morning? Not me.

Now for the good stuff:

Nutritional Profile (per muffin):

200 calories
9 grams of healthy fats (from flax and olive oil!)
6 grams fibre
6.5 grams of protein

WOW!!!! Awesome.

Did I mention there is over 1 Tablespoon of flax PER muffin? That is a whopping 2.5 grams of Alpha-Linolenic Acid (aka Omega-3′sper muffin!

I had two last night. :D

Maybe that’s what healed me overnight??? lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looky what I had to do:

img 4288   Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

Normally having a workout machine in plain view is a good thing. This week, not so much. Poor treadmill. It’s getting cold!! I feel like turning it on just to give it some love. haha. Sketchie likes sitting on it in the sun though.

(I can see this treadmill from my DESK! How is that for torture?!)

Stay tuned for the Honest Foods contest giveaway at 4pm EST today!!!!! And the next contest announcement!

PS- We watched Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood last night. All I can say is WOW.

PSS- I am adding Honeymoon pictures to my wedding page. The honeymoon pictures are at the bottom of the wedding pics. Last night I did the first installment for Venice, and I will be adding cities over the next week or so. Check it out!

If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don’t be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning ‘Good morning’ at total strangers.
~
Maya Angelou

Sally January 17, 2009

Yay for healing! You’ll be back to exercising in no time!

If it’s not too much trouble, how many carbs are in each muffin?

Becca A January 17, 2009

Glad to hear your feeling better and the muffins sound awesome.

My cat likes to sleep on my cable box and sit on my scale in the bathroom…why use a cat bed?

Melissa January 17, 2009

great recipe. they look awesome! Off to check out the photos!

Diana January 17, 2009

the muffins look fantastic! I can’t wait to try them out! I’m grocery shopping today so maybe I’ll pick up the ingredients and make them tonight!!

Beadie January 17, 2009

Glad you are starting to feel better!

I need to try making some muffins soon, they make such great grab and go breakfasts!

Kaneil January 17, 2009

So happy you’re feeling better! Isn’t it amazing how delicious healthy food can help heal your body?!

I am definitely going to try those muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

Kaneil

ttfn300 January 17, 2009

those muffins sound awesome :) glad you’re continuing to feel better!

Deb January 17, 2009

Glad you are really starting to feel better.

Those muffins sound & look awesome.

Emily January 17, 2009

Hi Angela ~
Glad to hear you are feeling better : )
This muffin recipe looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I am going to make these today. They look like a great option to have around on weekday mornings.
~ emily.

VeggieGirl January 17, 2009

Holy yum power muffins!! :-D

No worries!! You’ll be reunited with the treadmill in no time – I know it!!

eatinnyc January 17, 2009

Those look amazing!!! I need to try my hand at baking…

Eliza January 17, 2009

ooh thanks for the recipe…those muffins look so tasty and healthy! glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Amira January 17, 2009

fabulous looking muffins, looks like a great post-workout snacky! So happy to hear your feeling better, your body is healing quickly, that’s so great!
have a fabulous day
xo

Becca June 6, 2009

I am going to try these out right now!

Juie June 21, 2009

I just made these!!! They are PHENOMENAL and SO delicious and tasty!! Thanks so much Angela! Truly, thank you for EVERYTHING you do!! I don’t think you know what an impact you have had on my life!! :]]

Amanda July 9, 2009

Love this recipe Angela – I’ll be making these regularly now, I added a little cinnamon to the batter, and might add dried cranberries or raisins next time. Had one this morning with fruit – delicious. Thanks!

Pam July 24, 2009

I stumbled here randomly, but so glad I did! I have been looking for healthy recipes lately to replace certain things (my granola bars are awesome). I love Vitatops, so I needed something as a healthy breakfast. Perfect muffins! Added some walnuts and dried apple too. These will be a great boost in the winter when I go snowboarding and I can make lots and freeze them!

I put the ingredients through a recipe analyzer and got this:
Calories 190, Fat Cals 89, Total Fat 9.9g 15%, Saturated Fat 1.1g 6%, Cholesterol 31mg 10%, Sodium 120mg 5%, Carbs 22.4g 7%, Dietary Fiber 4.8g 19%, Sugars 8.8g

Is there a way to reduce the Saturated Fat and Cholesterol (just egg whites)? And what if I added some extra protein in the form of a powder…any tips? I’m not a baker by any means and have no idea what the different additives will do. Thanks!!

Jaime September 6, 2012

Dear Pam.
I am a Holistic Nutritionist and I can assure you if anything you should worry about the sugar content as opposed to the fat or cholesterol content in these muffins. Please consider the overall ingredients as compared as to foods you would have otherwise eaten and realize that using good quality wholefoods ingredients is going to have a positive effect on your health, while stress has the most dramatic negative effect on health. The yolk of egg is loaded with nutrients that your body requires and the fat content is necessary for nutrient absorption, as well as making up a significant portion of your cell membranes and even your brain! (cool!) Cholesterol is required to produce hormones, and although there is a general belief that it contributes to weight gain, source of fat and sugar content are the real culprits (as adulterated fats like trans fats are the real bad guy, natural fats {not meat fats, which are inflammatory} are really good for the body, especially for females). The saying that a calorie is a calorie is not true, and even when you separate the sources (fat, carbs, protein) it still doesn’t justify the phrase. Fat is good for you. Cholesterol is needed by the body for crucial functions.
Everything from natural sources and everything in moderation. Just be proud of yourself for using these good ingredients and making this nutritious snack!

To cut down the sugar I use only half (but will probably use even less, since I have had such great results with the last two batches) and substitute powdered stevia (plant based sweetener, doesn’t have any of the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and does not affect blood sugar) to taste.

I also always add protein powder. I make different flavours of muffins when I make these (my favorites are vanilla or plain protein powder with almonds, cardamom, and orange zest, and chocolate protein powder with dark chocolate chips, nuts of choice and fruit of choice {cherries or raspberries are my favorites}, which always turn out well). I usually put in a scoop or two. I use a vegan formula for the chocolate but have yet to find a good tasting vegan powder for the vanilla so I use whey instead.

Hope I helped!

Annika August 4, 2009

I’ve got a batch of these in the oven right now. Since my muffin tin holds 12 and I only had one banana, I put apple sauce in the other half. (I also used all purpose flour because somehow I ran out of whole wheat. How does that even happen?) Thank you for the recipe! I can’t wait to taste them.

Christine October 25, 2009

I tried theese with cocoa powder, and would seriously recommend it -next time I will add chocolate chips too :)
Thanks for this awsome recipe!

Greetings from Denmark :)

Jenna August 11, 2010

I made your Flax and Oat Breakfast Power Muffins yesterday and had one for breakfast today and they are just DELICIOUS!

Thanks for the amazing, yummy recipe.

I’ve also ordered some RUN bars and can’t wait for them to come in the mail :)

Shelley September 11, 2010

Wow! I made these muffins today and I can’t believe how awesome they are, even my hubby loves them! Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Liette October 19, 2010

Hi, I made these muffins with my son (5 years old) and he was pretty excited with the results… made them in a mini muffin pan to make them even more fun for my little monsters.

They where awesome, we spread ours with a little apple butter….mmm good

Christine October 27, 2010

Hi Angela!
This is the second recipe from your blog I have made in a week!
(I made the pumpkin cake)
With this one I used blueberries and mixed up ground chia and hemp seeds with the ground flax. The batter tastes great…will let you know how the actual muffins come out! Thank you!

Jaime August 6, 2012

I was looking for a muffin to bake for my boyfriend to deter him from buying a bran muffin at MacDonalds every morning (both to support his health and to remove his support from the MacDonalds corporation) and these sound great!
I am going to double the amount so I get twelve and I am going to separate the batter into three so I can try different flavours. I am going to try chocolate with fresh cherries; cinnamon, raisin, and apple; and orange zest with cardamom with almonds.

Yummy!

Also I am going to add a little bit of protein powder to each one, cut some of the sugar for stevia (which I don’t mind in baking as long as it is mixed with a sweetener), and chia for added protein, fiber, and healthy fats!

Very excited to try this out!!!!
Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Natalie November 28, 2012

I doubled the recipe and made them twice now and cant seems to keep them past a day, without them disappearing. I am about to make a huge batch of them and freeze some. These are very yummy!

On my second batch I wanted to alter a few things to my taste. I replaced the sugar with 1/4 C. honey, and added 1/4 C. raisins, added 1/4 C. more oats, and eliminated the olive oil and added 1/2 of a banana. Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe!! It is a keeper.

Stephanie February 20, 2013

Is there anyway to make these vegan?? I’m not sure what to substitute the egg with!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2013

I haven’t come up with a good recipe to share yet, but I will do so if I have a successful batch!

Lauren August 18, 2014

You can sub the egg for apples sauce or mix flaxseed and water…apple sauce is way yummier though!

Bobbie March 13, 2013

THESE ARE AMAZING!!!

Melanie March 15, 2013

I’m not sure what it is but I’ve only ever had two major cooking fails and both were recipes from this blog, these muffins and your Wheat Thin crackers. The muffins were dry and cardboard tasting, I added some raisins and apples to the recipe, I can’t see how that would have ruined them but perhaps it did. I think a boost to the wet ingredients would help make these more edible, if I try again I’d add some applesauce or plain yogurt to try and moisten them up.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2013

Hey Melanie, I’m sorry to hear that. Both recipes have been reviewed really well so I’m surprised by your outcome. Did you make any changes to the recipes?

CL May 13, 2013

I made these, but used coconut oil instead of olive oil, agave (1/8th a cup) instead of brown sugar, and added coconut flakes (unsweetened) and 1/4th a cup of cocoa powder. They are awesome! Thanks for providing a base recipe to work from!

I also added some chia seeds because I didn’t have half a cup of flax.

They’re a perfect breakfast after a workout, and log in at 190 calories each! (I had two this morning!)

Thank you, again!

Rachel August 24, 2013

I just made these and was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked them. I am keeping this recipe for sure! I did add 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Very tasty spread with coconut oil, and so many great ingredients!

Aly September 22, 2013

Angela, I have to give these a shout-out! They’ve become an absolute staple in my weekend prep-for-the-week routine. I’ve made them exactly as is (perfect), with various chia/nut/mini chip add-ins, with extra apples/pears I’ve had lying around, and with a variety of extracts and spices. I’m cooking for one and baking can be a bit overabundant, but the fact they’re muffins makes portions easy–and they freeze so well! For breakfasts, I pop one straight from the freezer to the microwave, add a hard-boiled egg, and I’m energized for hours. Having this in my repertoire over the past 9 months has been invaluable. So glad to have found your blog!

Dar November 19, 2013

Made these today!

OUTSTANDING!

Definately my go to recipe for flax from here on in!

:-)

nora m. December 6, 2013

i was looking for a base muffin recipie and stumbled on your page ! going to make these today,, but have to buy baking powder, thank you

Ajax March 21, 2014

Hi, I tried this recipe last night. I have never baked muffins from scratch but thought I would try this reciepe since i love to cook and try new things. The only thing I changed or better yet added were the following: dash of pure vanilla exact, little bit of cinnamon, about 2 tablespoons of plain vogurt, walnuts and of course chocolate chips. They turned out amazing and very moist. Thanks for the reciepe!