Frankenstorm. Earthquakes. Halloween parties. It has been quite an active weekend out there. I hope you’re all keeping safe!
Nothing too crazy is happening (yet) weather-wise in Southern Ontario, just days of relentless windy rain and many more looming ahead. Between the quake on the coast of B.C. and Hurricane Sandy on the east coast, I think many of us could use a bit of sunshine right about now!
How about a big bear hug in a bowl?
I’ve been calling this sunny soup a few different names…
– Flu Fighter Soup
– Creamy Orange Sunshine Soup
– *&^#%*^$$&#! soup (when I almost sliced my finger off while grating ginger)
Sometimes I swear in the kitchen. Pardon me.
The luxurious creaminess comes from soaked raw cashews that are blended with the other vegetables creating a rich, velvety soup. Raw cashews never cease to amaze me with just how versatile they are; you can instantly transform any soup or sauce by adding a little cashew cream. It’s really something!
I’m all about the citrus these days, so I thought fresh orange juice would pair nicely with ginger’s spicy kick and the subtly sweet, earthy carrots. Thanks to the vivid orange colour, this is also a festive soup for Halloween – no pumpkin required.
Filled with carrots, ginger, orange, garlic, onion, and sprouted cashews, this soup will have you feeling your best no matter what kind of storm you’re dealing with. Whether it’s a cold to get over or warming up on a damp day, I hope this soup is just what you’re looking for. Try serving it with a hunk of fresh bread and a pat of vegan butter. Inspired by Carrot, Apple Ginger Soup.
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped into big chunks (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 lg. oranges)
- 5 cups vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- 2-3 tbsp freshly grated ginger, to taste
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Place cashews in a bowl of water and soak for at least 30 minutes. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, garlic, and onion and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, orange juice, vegetable broth, and 2 tbsp of the grated ginger. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are just fork tender. Turn off heat and cool soup for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cashews very well. Place blender container in sink and carefully pour in soup – you might have to do this in two batches if your blender isn’t big enough. Add in cashews. Starting on low, blend until it comes together, gradually increasing the speed to high. Make sure to let some steam escape through the lid. Or you can try using an immersion blender.
- Taste and add more ginger, along with salt and pepper if desired. You can also add more broth to thin out the soup as desired. Garnish with cashews, parsley, and orange zest just before serving.
Nutrition Information(click to expand)
I am so excited to let you know that Oh She Glows was voted Best Blog in this year’s 2012 VegNews Veggie Awards. Thank you for believing in me and for taking the time out of your day to vote! I feel so blessed to be part of such an inspiring community with all of you.
If you get a chance, pick up a copy and check out all the category winners from vegan products to restaurants to people and more. Or better yet – subscribe to the magazine if you haven’t already. I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoy each and every issue.
I’ll be back soon with some last minute Halloween fun & a big giveaway to celebrate OSG’s 4th birthday. That is, power pending…
Stay safe out there!