Sleepy Morning Blender Matcha

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 26, 2018

At long last I’m able to give you a bit of an update on my recent health struggles! If you’re catching up, read this post and this post (and the comments) first.

Well, where did we leave off? To start, I’m so thankful to have found a great naturopath after not having an overly helpful experience earlier in the year. I’ve been struggling with my symptoms on and off for years now, so it’s been a huge relief to finally get some answers! Slowly but surely I’m starting to feel like a new person. My recent tests showed that my hormones are a hot mess…estrogen is too high, my morning cortisol is way too low (hello, feeling like a zombie even after a decent night’s sleep), and one of my thyroid hormones is also too low. My doctor had suspected many of these results based on my symptoms, but it was interesting to see them on paper! I’m definitely no expert on this stuff, but I learned that when one hormone is off, it can impact another…and on and on the cycle goes, often throwing your entire system out of whack in the process. I felt such relief knowing that how I was feeling wasn’t just in my head all this time.

It’s so easy to push through feeling awful, blaming your symptoms on other things. I can’t even tell you how many times I told myself that I felt like crap because I was a new mom, or I was nursing and up in the middle of the night, or I was working out too hard (or not enough), or I wasn’t taking my vitamins, or my diet wasn’t balanced, or I was just feeling anxious about changes in my life. Some of those things may have been part of the issue, but I overlooked the real possibility that something beyond my immediate control was at work.

Dear self: it’s okay to ask for help.

Speaking of which, my biggest regret is that I didn’t get help for my symptoms sooner. It’s easy to put off, especially when Dr. Google is at your fingertips. Everyone would tell me how important it is to take care of myself while raising two young kids, but most days I just pushed it aside and tried to rely on the fact that I am a generally healthy person who eats well and exercises. My mom and Nicole were the ones who finally pushed me to get help…we all need those people in our lives who look out for us! Sometimes you have to learn the hard way, but I’m grateful for this lesson and wake-up call. I may have ignored my body’s messages for quite some time, but once I commit to something, I’m all-in, and I’ve been such a good “student” these past few months!

Taking the time to heal has set me back on some career goals this year, but sometimes there’s no better goal than good health. I actually can’t think of a better way to celebrate OSG’s upcoming 10-year milestone than circling back to my journey to health, which is the reason I started my blog! It’s just another reminder that our journey is always changing and evolving over time.

I’ll try to update you again as soon as I have more to share, but in the meantime if you have any questions, or would like to share your own experiences, I would LOVE to read them below.

Oh, and I should probably mention this recipe before I go! My naturopath recently encouraged me to add more green tea to my diet, and this has been my go-to mix. I had requests for the recipe after sharing it on Insta Stories last week, so I decided to put it up on both the app and blog! I hope you’ll find this warm, creamy matcha blend as calming and gently energizing as I have.

5 from 4 reviews

Sleepy Morning Blender Matcha

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

You know when you wake up on a chilly morning and need a hot drink now? Well this is my go-to on fall and winter mornings (or afternoons!) when I want a change from coffee. The thought of this smooth, warm, creamy drink seriously lures me out of my cozy bed. I love how effortless this recipe is, especially on those half-awake, barely functioning mornings (just make sure you’re alert enough to operate a blender with hot liquid!). I love matcha green tea powder because it delivers calming, jitter-free energy as well as powerful antioxidants. Be sure to see my Deluxe Version in the Tips section below for a more decadent way to make this beverage—when I want an especially comforting treat, I’ll forgo the water and only use canned coconut milk.

Yield
1 1/3 cups (330 mL)
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (250 mL) water
  • 1/3 cup (80 mL) canned light coconut milk, room temperature*
  • 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder, or to taste**
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure maple syrup, or to taste (optional)

Directions:

1. Add the water to a kettle or pot and bring to a boil.
  2. While the water heats up, add the coconut milk and matcha powder to a high-speed blender.
  3. Once the water has boiled, remove it from the heat and let sit for 15 seconds. Carefully add it to the blender along with the maple syrup (if using).
  4. If your blender’s lid is vented, secure it on top. If you don’t have a vented lid, keep the lid slightly ajar so air can escape. Blend on the lowest speed, very slowly increasing to medium, for about 20 seconds until frothy and combined.
  5. Immediately pour into a mug and enjoy your cozy cup o’ green!

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 1/3 cups (330 mL) | Calories 50 calories | Total Fat 4 grams
Saturated Fat 3 grams | Sodium 30 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 4 grams
Fiber 0 grams | Sugar 2 grams | Protein 1 grams

Nutritional info does not include sweetener.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

* If using already chilled canned coconut milk, add an extra 1/3 cup (80 mL) hot water to ensure your blend is hot enough (nobody wants lukewarm tea, if you know what I mean!). Be sure to stir the coconut milk before measuring.

** My preferred brand of matcha powder is DoMatcha Organic Summer Harvest Matcha Powder.

Deluxe Version: Heat 1 cup (250 mL) canned light coconut milk on the stovetop over medium heat, watching closely to ensure it doesn’t boil over. Once it starts to simmer and froth, immediately remove it from the heat. Add this to the blender along with the matcha powder (and maple syrup, if using). Follow steps 4 and 5 above and enjoy your extra-creamy tea!

L J September 26, 2018 at 8:24 am

Sorry to hear you’ve not been well. Hormones can be so hard to pin down, I’ve just been diagnosed with endometriosis after years of feeling rubbish and going back and fore to the doctor. Great that you’re getting help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 9:22 am

Thank you, y they really can and are so complex!
I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but so glad you’re getting some answers after years of not knowing what was going on. I hope you’re able to get some relief soon. :)

Kate September 26, 2018 at 9:00 am

This is exactly how I’ve been feeling too! Two young kids around the same ages as yours, no time for myself and just not 100 percent. After years of pregnancy and breastfeeding, I know what I need to do to be healthy but have been running on fumes, cookies and coffee to just keep muscling through each sleep-deprived day. I keep reminding myself that I have to stay healthy so I can look after my family but it’s really hard to prioritize sometimes because it kind of feels selfish? I heard a very impactful story about a woman with three young kids who felt run down and exhausted and ignored it. She ended up having advanced colon cancer but assumed her weight loss and exhaustion were just related to being a mother of young kids and didn’t get it checked out. I remind myself of this story when I feel like I can’t make time for myself – I need to be healthy for them if not myself! I am also going to see a naturopath (after saying that for two years!) to really get on top of things. Looking forward to following the rest of your journey!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 9:25 am

Kate, I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with similar things. I felt like I could’ve written that myself. I’m so glad that you booked an appointment…sometimes that’s the hardest step! I should’ve made mine about 3 years sooner, but better late than never I suppose. ;) I wish you all the best and hope you are able to get some answers too.

Pauline September 26, 2018 at 9:41 am

I only recently started following you on Instagram but went out and bought your cookbook “oh she glows” and love it! I made your thumbprint cookies which were a huge hit with my 14 year old son! As I write this comment I am sitting in my son’s hospital room who happens to have Panhypopituitary so as a result is cortisol deficient, hypothyroid, growth hormone deficiency among other issues. I have always looked for healthy recipes to help keep him healthy and your posts and book have resonated with me and are so helpful. Just last week I made your instant pot recipe that you had shared on Instagram. I had to modify it a bit since I made it in a regular pot but it was a Thai curry with lentils, butter nut squash and cauliflower…absolutely delicious!!! Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Hi Pauline, Aww big hugs to you and your son. I can’t thank you enough for your support and I’m so happy the recipes are helping you navigate the health challenges. I’m sending all my positive vibes to you both!

Yana September 26, 2018 at 10:05 am

Thank you for the update Angela! Even though I’ve had some “chronic” health challenges as well, the experience I’ve had with a few naturopaths has been less than helpful. I understand that sometimes supplements can help but I feel uncomfortable getting pushed hundreds of dollars worth of products on me every time. I still believe in naturopathy but I’m not sure how to find a practitioner who I can “vibe” with,

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:48 pm

It can be so challenging to find the right fit…I totally get that. I hope you find someone who can help you soon!

Leah September 26, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I’m sorry you haven’t been feeling well. Hope you are on a path to feeling better. I just had cortisol testing done and it validates why I’m so exhausted. My levels were so low! Taking care of ourselves as busy moms is so important. Best of luck to you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I feel like it’s so common…I always blamed it on the kids being up in the night, but once I had a couple weeks of okay sleep I was like…okay I’m STILL exhausted, what gives? I hope you are starting to feel better!

Becky September 26, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Hormonal struggles are tricky and quite the snowball effect. I felt like I was crazy until I got my diagnosis of PCOS last year, so I’m happy for you that you have some answers. I have to say because it helped me so much I’m always excited to share, but read the book Woman Code. It gives the most amazingly explanation and insight into female hormones and honestly saved me. I went from 1 period in 12 months with a slew of other symptoms to being regular and most of my symptoms disappearing using the knowledge from her book. I loosely follow her protocol in a plant based way but I can’t recommend reading it enough even Just for the understanding of hormones. hope you feel well soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Hey Becky, Wow I’m so glad you have found some relief! I’ve heard great things about that book and I really appreciate you reminding me about it. Making a note to check it out soon. :) Thanks for your well wishes too!

Sriram September 26, 2018 at 2:12 pm

I’m a first time visitor to your site. Great site!

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been going through these health issues. Although I’m a guy, I can understand – my wife feels tired and exhausted all the time ever since we had a baby 2 years ago. Just watching her be a warrior makes me realize I could do so much more to support her and be present. I really admire the courage and endurance that women show before, during and after childbirth. I’m glad to hear that you’ve got support.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Wow, this is such a beautiful comment, Sriram. Thank you for sharing. I’m sure it means the world to your wife to have your support! I hope she feels better soon.

Laura September 26, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela

Love your story!! As a naturopath myself who focuses on hormones and fertility, it is a story I hear time and time again and it is so great that you are sharing it. We need more women to feel comfortable reaching out for support and getting the health care they deserve. Wishing you all the best on your health journey.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Hi Laura, Thank you so much for your support! It means a lot to me. :) My naturopath also said the same about how common postpartum hormone issues are. I’m sure I have been dealing with it since my firstborn and just didn’t realize. Better late than never though. ;)

Laura September 27, 2018 at 3:26 pm

For sure! The most important thing if that you did something, you are on a mission with a purpose and should be very proud :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 7:13 am

Thanks so much for your kind words Laura :)

Monique September 26, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I can very much relate too and would love to read more about the things (or foods) you’ve ended up trying! For me, fatigue (or lack of energy) has been such a struggle, it’s the main reason I first went vegan. And even though my new diet (not just vegan but also more whole foods, fruits and veggies) has definitely helped, I still feel I’m running uphill far too often. I’ve heard a lot lately about gut health and have been experimenting with eliminating gluten, and that seems to make a big difference already! I also started taking evening primrose oil and it has totally helped me in stabilizing my monthly cycles (before I had really long irregular cycles). It’s a difficult search, first we have to admit there is a real problem, than we need to find the right doctor and even then it’s like finding a needle in a haystack I feel. But I totally agree it is the best investment we can make in ourselves! Thank you for sharing your journey! And so happy to hear you are already seeing results! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2018 at 2:45 pm

“It’s a difficult search, first we have to admit there is a real problem, than we need to find the right doctor and even then it’s like finding a needle in a haystack I feel. But I totally agree it is the best investment we can make in ourselves!” Yes…totally nodding my head to this Monique.
I’m doing a lot of things…haha…it would probably feel overwhelming to list them, but as I’ve learned it’s often not just one issue, but a series of related complex issues that need addressing (at least for me). I’m making a lot of lifestyle and dietary changes (and supplements)! I’ll try to update in a future post once I have a better handle on things. :)

Aimee September 26, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your health journey. How amazing it has been 10 years of OSG! BIG congratulations. While I’ve followed your blog and cooked from your books for years, this is my first comment. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your struggle with energy, balance and guilt for taking time to take care of yourself. I am a mom of two and the owner of a business that has grown exponentially since having kids. It is hard to balance exciting work opportunities, family time and health. I struggle with energy, anxiety, and feel “enough” regularly and it can be easy to assume that behind your beautiful blog and photos that you “have it all together or figured.” So, thanks for being honest and human. It means a lot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:56 am

This means so much Aimee! And it’s so cool that you’ve been following for years! Thank you. Yes, it’s hard opening up about (I felt nervous posting this blog post the other day!), but I would never want someone to think that I have it all figured out because I definitely don’t! Lol. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate too…growth is such a blessing, but the timing isn’t always ideal. ;) I hope you’re able to find help when needed and give yourself the permission to rest and slow down. It’s not an easy thing to do, but it makes a big difference.

Jeannie September 26, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Dear Angela,
I first came to your blog about 4 & 1/2 years ago – my daughter sent me the link to it. I had been vegetarian for about 8 years and really wanted to be fully vegan (out of compassion for animals), and your blog really encouraged me to feel that I could. It showed me that I could have a healthy and nourishing diet, and make a wide variety of delicious meals that even my omnivore husband would enjoy. The first thing I made was the Sun-dried Tomato, Mushroom and Spinach Tofu Quiche – it is so delicious! He said it was the best quiche he ever had! Thank you for your kindness and generosity in sharing your recipes and your experiences.

I’m now in my late 50’s and have three grown daughters. I remember back to those early days of caring for three small children. Although I didn’t have any severe or extreme symptoms like yours, I was often tired and run down and could have used some extra health support; but in those days naturopaths were not really well known. It’s so great that young mothers – and everyone – now have this recourse: a healthcare professional who focuses on natural remedies and good nutrition, and who looks for the root cause, rather than just medicate for symptoms. You are very wise to be taking the time to take care of yourself; it’s the one of the best things a mother can do for her family. I wish you well in your return to full health; you’re doing all the right things!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:55 am

Jeannie, I can’t thank you enough for your heartfelt support and kind words. Your comment made me a little teary-eyed! Haha. That’s so wonderful you’ve found so many recipes you and your family enjoy….it’s why I do this and means so much to hear that. Also, thanks for your support with my health discussion. :)

Karen C. September 26, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I usually don’t leave comments and I’m sure you’ve had hundreds of book/ vitamin/doctor recommendations, but the book Medical Medium by Anthony William has been a lifesaver for me. (I’ve had chronic fatigue and weight gain among other things) He covers a lot of issues including adrenal issues and thyroid issues. If you are looking for more answers, I really think he can help! In any event, I wish you vibrant health and well-being! 💕✨

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hey Karen, thank you so much for the book reco…a couple other readers actually mentioned this series (I think it’s a series of books?) with rave reviews! I have it on my list to check out…can’t wait. Sending you positive vibes!

marci October 8, 2018 at 7:44 am

Hi Angela, I also highly recommend the Medical Medium. Maybe start with his 3rd book Thyroid healing. It just may speak to you in a way that no other doctor or book can. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. There are so many going through the same issues. Marci

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2018 at 6:52 am

Hi Marci, Thank you! I’ve had this book recommended to me a few times…it’s definitely on my list to check out. Thanks again

B.J. September 26, 2018 at 9:53 pm

I have been feeling exhausted for years too & have been addicted to coffee first thing every morning and then in the afternoon I’d have a cup too but a few months ago I quit drinking coffee & switched to black tea & matcha. So far I have lost 10 pounds & my skin is looking way healthier BUT my mood is lower for sure. Pros & cons. I also find that when I drink coffee vs. Matcha, my throat kind of hurts all day and there is no way to get rid of the coffee breath & taste in my mouth. Seems like it’s just so acidic for the body & gut.
What are your thoughts on coffee? Has your naturopath advised you to quit coffee or just cut back?
Thanks!! Appreciate your opinion 😊💖

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:52 am

Finding the perfect tea or coffee that you love and also doesn’t make you crash can be so tricky to do! I actually cut out caffeinated drinks 4 months ago, only introducing green tea very recently (boy, do I love that boost!). My naturopath didn’t tell me to cut it out as I wasn’t seeing one at the time, but I just stuck with it because I was worried that since caffeine is high in histamines it would make my allergic reactions worse. So I cut it out…mind you I still had one very light decaf coffee in the morning which still probably had a very small amount in it! Caffeine can also be hard on the adrenals so I think it was the right decision for me, especially seeing my recent test results. I won’t be cutting out caffeinated coffee forever though, but when I do bring it back it probably won’t be every day and I’ll rotate it with green tea and herbal teas. I hope you find the right balance for you…it’s not easy to do! :) Especially in the fall and winter…haha.

Jessica September 26, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Wow Angela I’m sorry you have been feeling this way! I completely understand, I could have written that post myself, thyroid problems, cortisol levels low, hormones out of control… Diagnosis of adrenal fatigue caused by years of undiagnosed celiac disease and stress. I had no choice but to slow down in a major way. I went from being a high powered individual to one who just wanted to sleep 14+ hours a day! And with two kids to look after. It’s such a common story especially for type A personalities.
It’s been 4 years since my diagnosis and I’m improving steadily but it takes time, good nutrition (staying away from trigger foods because the adrenal problems heighten allergies, even now years later), minimising STRESS as much as possible (so so important!) and in my case, taking a bio identical progesterone supplement to balance out the hormones. Which I’m still taking 🙂
Wishing you all the best in your recovery!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:52 am

Hey Jessica, thank you so much for sharing your story! I’m sorry you’ve had to go through all of this, but it’s comforting in a weird way knowing how common it is. I said to Eric that I had no idea hormonal imbalances were so common postpartum…no one told me to look out for it. I’m so glad that you were able to get help! And I agree that the adrenal issue seems to be one that we’ll always have to stay on top of.

Lara September 27, 2018 at 6:50 am

Thank you for sharing your raw & authentic health journey! It’s fascinating to read & great news that you’re onto recovery! Would you mind sharing how you eventually had your symptoms recognised & diagnosed as hormonal imbalances? Is there a blood test? Thank you, you’re an inspiration xoxox

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2018 at 9:51 am

Hi Lara, Thank you so much! As for testing, I had a blood work thyroid panel and also saliva hormone testing to evaluate things like progesterone, estradiol, cortisol, etc. I hope this helps!

Camille September 27, 2018 at 8:47 am

Love, love the recipe! Can I ask you, which test did your doctor make you do to know your hormones level like that?
Thanks xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:44 am

Hi Camille, I don’t have the name of the test on hand, but it was saliva hormone testing done first thing in the morning and at a certain time of my cycle. :) I hope this helps!

Leigh September 27, 2018 at 11:22 am

Take care Angela. None of us have minds or bodies functioning at 100 per cent. For me, it was about accepting and embracing my need for medication to address mental health challenges at the root of everything. I take the bare minimum, but it makes a world of difference in my life. Also hard to admit this widely. Leigh Anthony

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:44 am

Thank you Leigh! I’m so glad you’ve found a system that works for you…and you’re so right that we often need to embrace & accept various methods of treatment.

Sarah September 27, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I’ve recently finally discovered that I have very very low T3. It’s been so hard to get answers because the TSH which would be high in 95% of people with thyroid issues due to hashimotos is not effected for whatever is going on with me. I’m still trying to figure out how to address this with my Dr which so far is very much still in the trial and error phase. I’ll be interested to hear how your journey progresses.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:42 am

Hi Sarah, I’m sorry to hear about your T3 results, and even more frustrating that it’s adding to the confusion over treatment. I hope you find some answers soon!

Emma September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Please can you provide the details of the naturopath that you have used as I would like to have a similar assessment and as you say it is hard to find someone recommended that has given you such a productive outcome. Thank you

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:42 am

Hi Emma, I’m seeing Dr. Sarah White at Bronte Wellness Boutique. She’s been so helpful for me…so grateful I found her. :)

Kelly September 27, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Hi Angela,

I read a great book called A Mind of Your Own by Dr. Kelly Brogan. In it, she addresses many of the physical symptoms you’ve experienced and talks about how they can masquerade as psychological symptoms. She is a medical doctor who has now taken a more natural approach after healing her own postpartum Hashimoto’s diagnosis. I’ve applied many of her suggestions with great success. Wishing you all the best with your recovery.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:43 am

Hey Kelly, thanks so much for your kind wishes and for sharing the book recommendation! It sounds really interesting…I’ll make a note to check it out!

Lauren Elizabeth September 27, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Hey! I suggest checking out the beautiful piece below ( I attached a link ) discussing the origin (or relevance) of physical symptoms. It has helped me profoundly.
Cheers <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 8:43 am

Thank you Lauren! I will check it out soon :)

Laura September 28, 2018 at 8:01 am

Hey Angela, I’m glad to hear you got some answers – it’s brought me relief when dealing with injuries to finally figure out what’s going on and what actions I can take to help. You’re so right about learning to take care of yourself. It’s easy to find excuses not to do it, whether those are conscious or unconscious choices (especially when taking care of a family, working, etc). I hope things keep looking up for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Hi Laura, I so agree that getting answers, even early answers, can take such a huge weight off. I know it did for me. I’m glad you figured out your injury issues!

Sacha Welsh September 28, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for being so transparent with your health – us mamas need to know we are not alone! I am still breastfeeding baby #2 (7 months old) and it for sure has its toll. More so this time around tahn I found with my first.

I’m actually a health professional in the midst of writing an ebook where I share my favourite recipes for moms and would like to feature some of yours because you have some really AWESOME ones! Please let me know if approved. All credit for the recipe goes to you with your website link as I will not be adjusting anything.

Love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Hi Sacha, Thank you :) I hear you on the second time around feeling more draining…I heard that with each pregnancy (especially when they are close together) that hormonal issues can be more common. Congrats on your ebook! For recipe reprint requests if you could email [email protected] that would be appreciated. :)

Betsy Gustafson September 29, 2018 at 9:27 am

Hello, Your story is my story! Just a suggestion – Research two Doctors who are amazing at providing information on Hormone imbalance, Thyroid dysfunction and Autoimmune Disease – Dr. Amy Myers and Dr. Isabella Wentz. Both wrote amazing books. It is overwhelming but stay the course, look for functional medicine or Integrative health praticioners who treat the root cause and not just the symptoms. I am one of your biggest fans! God bless you on your journey to health and wellness! Betsy Gustafson

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Hi Betsy, Thank you so much for the recs…I’ll be sure to look them up! I’m fascinated by these topics and can’t wait to learn as much as I can. And I really appreciate your support!

Abigail September 29, 2018 at 10:16 am

What about using a hand immersion blender instead of my regular blender?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Hey Abigail, I can’t see why that wouldn’t work…let me know if you try it out.

Lisa is Planted365 October 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Glad you’re on the path to renewed health. It can be confusing when you’ve got so much health info on the interwebz. Hormones are powerful, for sure! I admire your openness and transparency, which can be so helpful for others.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Lisa…I appreciate your support so much!

sarah October 8, 2018 at 9:02 am

Thank you for this blender method! I’ve been making my matcha like this the last couple of days and it’s soo much easier and more efficient than all the extra steps I was doing. And tastes better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2018 at 6:52 am

I’m so glad to hear that Sarah! I love the blender method too…don’t have to worry about any clumps.

lauryn October 9, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Recipe Rating:

Love love love this recipe first thing in the morning, i’m such a huge matcha fan. Would love to know also where you found those gorgeous gold colour utensils! Are they your everyday silverware or do you use them for photography most?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2018 at 6:20 am

Hey Lauryn, thank you! They’re mostly for photography and I purchased a set from West Elm.

Bernadtte October 9, 2018 at 3:58 pm

I’m so glad to hear you’re seeing a practitioner and getting some help. It’s so important to ask for help and take the time you need to heal. The tea recipe sounds wonderful. I wish you success in your healing path.
Bernadette

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2018 at 6:19 am

Thank you so much Bernadette!

Jenna October 10, 2018 at 1:23 pm

You popped into my mind this morning and I thought, I really need to let Angela know how much I appreciate her. Now after reading this recent blog, I also want to add that I love your candidness.

After nearly 15 years of being trapped in my own body, I too found a naturopath that got me the help I needed. I was diagnosed with late stage Lyme’s disease and my specialist highly recommended a vegan diet. I grew up on a cattle/swine farm, so you can imagine how unbelievably foreign and overwhelming a vegan lifestyle sounded.

I had to acknowledge my new normal, fight for my health, dig deep, and look for the good stuff in every situation. Your hard work and dedication has helped me embrace my new normal and I wanted to thank you!

P.S. I have two boys (12 & 14), and I love them with everything I have. However, when they were little, there were many days I thought I might lose my mind. Hang in there and enjoy the good stuff and remember to take care of yourself! (You wouldn’t be the first mom to hide in a bathroom for a couple minutes of peace) ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2018 at 6:35 am

Hi Jenna, What a lovely note to write to me! I am so very touched. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I’m so glad to hear that you also found help for your health issues…it can be such a long road. I really appreciate all your support and encouragement! And I totally laughed at the hiding in the bathroom comment…Eric and I have a running joke about how we will hide in the pantry with the door closed where the dark chocolate is. It’s a moment of parent escape! ;)

Jessica October 12, 2018 at 10:49 pm

blender matcha tea looks delicious, I am definitely adding this to my list of drink to try thank you for sharing these recipes :D

Whytney October 13, 2018 at 12:47 am

Hi Angela

This might be an essay, so I apologise in advance for that. I just wanted to let you know that I’m a long-time reader of your blog (since 2012) and have bought both of your cookbooks. Your recipes are on regular rotation in our household. We eat vegan probably 80% of the time (we have fish occasionally and avoid dairy products wherever possible, but absolutely no red meat or poultry has passed our mouths in many years!).

I am relating to your health struggles at the moment (sans children), in terms of the hormonal issues, and the anxiety. It can at times feel like it’s taking over. Functioning like a normal person during those times is quite literally impossible. The hardest thing, I think, is learning to let go and just let life happen. It’s going to do what it’s going to do, and we are pretty much just here for the ride. I am going through something right now that is out of my control, and it’s hard trying not to jump too far ahead and thinking about what the future might bring. But I can’t let the anxiety win. It gets enough air time and feeding negative energy only makes it stronger. So I am thankful every day for what I have, and leave the future rest in God’s hands.

Right now, I am making your avocado-coriander cream enchiladas. A personal favourite of mine. Thank you for being on my journey with me too, Angela. It is humbling and comforting to know that we are not alone in this.

Whytney

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2018 at 8:33 am

Hi Whytney, What a lovely note to kick off my week…I can’t thank you enough for all your support! Your story and words are so inspirational and I get strength just from reading them. I wish you all the best with everything!

online cake delivery in Chandigarh October 13, 2018 at 5:25 am
Recipe Rating:

If we want to make it for 5 people, then how much Ingredients should we use for it??

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2018 at 6:57 am

Hi there,

For 5 servings, this would be the conversion:

5 cups water
1 cup plus 2/3 cup canned light coconut milk, room temperature
2 1/2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder, or to taste
5 teaspoons (5 mL) pure maple syrup, or to taste

I hope this helps! I’m not sure if you’d want to make it all at once since you’re blending hot liquids though. Might be best to half the recipe and make it in two batches?

Dan October 15, 2018 at 8:27 am
Recipe Rating:

What a great way to start to the day! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and wish you the best of luck with your health issues.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2018 at 8:47 am

Thank you so much for the kind words and support, Dan!